The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

My DH and I are planning a trip with the family for next yr in the fall. Fingers crossed we will be able to get in 7 mo. out. Looks like it will be 6 of us. Is a 2 bedroom going to be big enough?
Should we wait for xmas to see all the decorations or stick with Halloween? The pictures of the Grand Californian look amazing.
I would love some advice. Neither of us have been to Disneyland before.

In April '12 we stayed in a 2br at the VGC and loved it. My DGD loved the Murphy bed! There were 6 of us (3 adults, 3 children) and we had plenty of room. I was on the phone exactly at 9am at the 7-mo. window and had no problem.

We asked for a theme park view and got one. It was great! While I can't advise you on when to go, my DD and family did visit a few years ago in the Christmas timeframe and loved all the decorations, especially It's A Small World.

I had never been to Disneyland before and really enjoyed the ability to walk to the parks and go right outside the hotel and be in Downtown Disney. Looking forward to another visit in a few years.:)

In April '12 we stayed in a 2br at the VGC and loved it. My DGD loved the Murphy bed! There were 6 of us (3 adults, 3 children) and we had plenty of room. I was on the phone exactly at 9am at the 7-mo. window and had no problem.

We asked for a theme park view and got one. It was great! While I can't advise you on when to go, my DD and family did visit a few years ago in the Christmas timeframe and loved all the decorations, especially It's A Small World.

I had never been to Disneyland before and really enjoyed the ability to walk to the parks and go right outside the hotel and be in Downtown Disney. Looking forward to another visit in a few years.:)

Thank you so much for the advice! I didn't realize you could request a theme park view.

My DH and I are planning a trip with the family for next yr in the fall. Fingers crossed we will be able to get in 7 mo. out. Looks like it will be 6 of us. Is a 2 bedroom going to be big enough?
Should we wait for xmas to see all the decorations or stick with Halloween? The pictures of the Grand Californian look amazing.
I would love some advice. Neither of us have been to Disneyland before.

A 2BR should be just fine. You'd have the master with bathroom, the second bedroom with 2 queen beds and a bathroom and the living area with both a pull out sofa and the murphy bed and a 3rd bathroom.

Both Christmas time and Halloween time are wonderful to be at DL and IMO you wouldn't be making a mistake no matter which you go with. The parks will be decorated for each season and the Haunted Mansion will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay for both times. SM will have the Ghost Galaxy overlay for Halloween but IASM will have the Christmas overlay for Christmas time.

Thank you so much for the advice! I didn't realize you could request a theme park view.

You can even request specific rooms by room number. If you are booking a 2 bedroom, for example, starting at the top floor (6th floor) those facing DCA are 6500 (great views but you might here noise from the door leading to the view deck right next to that room); 5500 (same great view one floor down); 5506 (also a great view, but it's a little more to the side of the building so you miss some of the WOC and far left side of the park). Then the same numbers going down a floor (4500 etc).

The earlier you ask, the better chance you have to get what you request. I usually give MS a list of about 5 rooms. I've gotten my top choices more often than not.

Good luck.

We checked in Sunday for the 1 bedroom. I had made villa # requests when I made the booking, when I called a week and a half before arrival, & when we checked in at 8:15 am. He said based on check out dates for that day the highest level floor I could get was 3. We wanted WOC view.

This morning we checked into the studio and based on availability we got the 1st floor.

The positive Side of the 1st floor is no need to go up the elevator, down the hall from the laundry, & easy walk to the pools.

...we checked in at 8:15 am. He said based on check out dates for that day the highest level floor I could get was 3.
This morning we checked into the studio and based on availability we got the 1st floor.
Rather disappointing, considering you checked in early and on a Sunday. Sunday has the highest room turnover for the hotel, but perhaps the villas are different. There are only 23 1-bedroom villas, so there might not be a pattern to villa turnover.

Rather disappointing, considering you checked in early and on a Sunday. Sunday has the highest room turnover for the hotel, but perhaps the villas are different. There are only 23 1-bedroom villas, so there might not be a pattern to villa turnover.

Thanks for your comments. We still had a magical time since it was our 1st time staying on property. It was our staycation since we didn't want to fly this year. It was wonderful not driving anywhere for 6 days!!!

We were sad to leave today. The kids and particularly DD were very sad. Because the points are so high, we may not be able to stay at GVC for another 2-3 years. Next year we plan to do 2 five day cruises out of San Diego on Disney Wonder.

I've been working on a trip report about this vacation. Will post soon with pictures! :)

Thanks for your comments. We still had a magical time since it was our 1st time staying on property. It was our staycation since we didn't want to fly this year. It was wonderful not driving anywhere for 6 days!!! We were sad to leave today. The kids and particularly DD were very sad. Because the points are so high, we may not be able to stay at GVC for another 2-3 years. Next year we plan to do 2 five day cruises out of San Diego on Disney Wonder. I've been working on a trip report about this vacation. Will post soon with pictures! :)

We look forward to your report. ;)

Got the one bedroom villa with ease but could only book 7 nights. Any idea why it will not let you book stays in excess of 7 nights?[

QUOTE=Snurk71;51753503]The prevailing thought is 1brs are the easiest to get, since the capacity is only 5 and when someone books a studio it automatically makes the 1br available. So in general, your odds are theoretically best for a1br.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Note2 using DISBoards[/QUOTE]

Got the one bedroom villa with ease but could only book 7 nights. Any idea why it will not let you book stays in excess of 7

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Note2 using DISBoards
[/QUOTE]

You can only book up to 7 days at a time. You will have to call MS to add on a day at a time if you want more. Not sure if you can do it online but would want the assurance of talking to someone, but that's just me. Can't remember what the reasoning is behind this booking policy but maybe someone will post the reason.:)

So excited for our 1st VGC trip Aug 16-20!!!! Our last night for the studio came thru this morning :banana: Question on groceries...we won't need many, but breakfast stuff for 2-3 mornings, snacks, wine, some lunch stuff. Is there a little market in the lobby that would have that stuff, or should we order from Von's? And if we order from Von's, is there a minimum and can we have wine delivered?

TIA!

So excited for our 1st VGC trip Aug 16-20!!!! Our last night for the studio came thru this morning :banana: Question on groceries...we won't need many, but breakfast stuff for 2-3 mornings, snacks, wine, some lunch stuff. Is there a little market in the lobby that would have that stuff, or should we order from Von's? And if we order from Von's, is there a minimum and can we have wine delivered?

TIA!

There is a market area at Whitewater Snacks- the counterservice spot at VGC. It has traditional DVC type grocery items. This review from Disney Food Blog has some great shots of the grocery items that are available:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/03/06/review-breakfast-at-white-water-snacks-in-disneys-grand-californian-hotel-and-spa/

I have never had Vons deliver, but lots of folks on here have, and yes they have wine, the only tricky thing with having alcohol delivered is that someone from your group over the age of 21 must sign for it at the time of delivery. Otherwise it can just be left with Bell Services and brought up later.

Hi, all! We had our 1st stay that ended July 11th. Wanted I share info about the kitchen supplies. We had an awesome time & were fortunate to have a 1 bedroom villa for the 1st 3 nights. Planned to cook meals. The cookware sizes are very small and are NOT nonstick cookware. I couldn't cook certain things and when I attempted to cook other things it was near impossible. Guest Services confirmed with Mousekeeping & they do not have other cookware. Just letting you all know! :)

Hi, all! We had our 1st stay that ended July 11th. Wanted I share info about the kitchen supplies. We had an awesome time & were fortunate to have a 1 bedroom villa for the 1st 3 nights. Planned to cook meals. The cookware sizes are very small and are NOT nonstick cookware. I couldn't cook certain things and when I attempted to cook other things it was near impossible. Guest Services confirmed with Mousekeeping & they do not have other cookware. Just letting you all know! :)

EVERYTHING STICKS to the pans BUT they sure are easy to clean!!! :rotfl:

Our trip is finally ALMOST here….leaving for DL / VGC on Aug. 5th and I've done absolutely NO planning except for 1 ADR!! THIS IS SOOO NOT LIKE ME but I just haven't had the time!!! :faint: I signed up for the DL version of TouringPlans.com awhile back and then never used it!! :scared1: Do I need to go hang out on the DL board to do this trip efficiently!? We only have 2 1/2 days there so I don't have spare time to squander!! The only time we were ever at DL was for 2 days back in 2005. We muddled thru then but DS was still to small to ride some things and that was before Cars Land. I'm starting to get worried that we don't know our way around or how to do these parks. I considered a grocery order but our time is too short I think to be worthwhile. We're just in a studio. HATE to pay Disney prices for beer & booze tho. Thoughts??!!

I don't think DL takes near the planning WDW does. You have good timing in that most AZ schools are back or close to back, so peak summer crowds should be winding down. You know the drill, get there early and ride the headliners first.

One thing you may not know is to go through the main gates for EE and at opening for DCA. The GCH gates get really backed up and slow.

Have fun!

Our trip is finally ALMOST here….leaving for DL / VGC on Aug. 5th and I've done absolutely NO planning except for 1 ADR!! THIS IS SOOO NOT LIKE ME but I just haven't had the time!!! :faint: I signed up for the DL version of TouringPlans.com awhile back and then never used it!! :scared1: Do I need to go hang out on the DL board to do this trip efficiently!? We only have 2 1/2 days there so I don't have spare time to squander!! The only time we were ever at DL was for 2 days back in 2005. We muddled thru then but DS was still to small to ride some things and that was before Cars Land. I'm starting to get worried that we don't know our way around or how to do these parks. I considered a grocery order but our time is too short I think to be worthwhile. We're just in a studio. HATE to pay Disney prices for beer & booze tho. Thoughts??!!

I don't think you need to worry about a thing!!

I, too, am a WDW vet that is OCD when it comes to my planning. My friends and family affectionately, or so I like to think, call me Tour Guide Barbie ;) When we headed out to our first DL trip a few years ago I seriously considered going out a few days early so that I could get the lay of the land and figure everything out before my hubby and kids arrived!

I had a really hard time with NOT making ADRs or making spreadsheets with park times, EMHs and where to be when.

Yes, you will be a bit confused the first day as to where things are and how to get from point A to point B. Yes, you will probably miss a few things that day. BUT by the end of the first day you will be amazed with how easy it is to get around and how much is packed in to the 2 parks and how quickly you will figure it all out. The fact that you have been there once before is all the pre-planning you need, in my opinion.

Our first visit was during all the DCA construction and the building of CarsLand so it was still a bit of a learning curve when we went last year, but it still only took a bit of time to figure everything out.

I am certainly not a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of girl, but I am able to be when heading to DL ~ and, though I won't admit it to many people, I actually kind of prefer it!

I don't think DL takes near the planning WDW does. You have good timing in that most AZ schools are back or close to back, so peak summer crowds should be winding down. You know the drill, get there early and ride the headliners first.

One thing you may not know is to go through the main gates for EE and at opening for DCA. The GCH gates get really backed up and slow.

Have fun!

OK so here's how much I don't know - what is EE at DL? :confused3 At WDW that's what we call Expedition Everest. We're staying at VGC so I thought that the entrance there was an advantage to staying there. OY. I know I will never convince my DH that it is faster to go to a different gate than to go thru right where we're staying. Our first day we'll get there in the afternoon so the morning backup won't be a problem. I know only 1 park opens early tho unlike a diff. park every day at WDW. I just don't know which park it is. :rotfl:

I don't think you need to worry about a thing!!

I, too, am a WDW vet that is OCD when it comes to my planning. My friends and family affectionately, or so I like to think, call me Tour Guide Barbie ;) When we headed out to our first DL trip a few years ago I seriously considered going out a few days early so that I could get the lay of the land and figure everything out before my hubby and kids arrived!

I had a really hard time with NOT making ADRs or making spreadsheets with park times, EMHs and where to be when.

Yes, you will be a bit confused the first day as to where things are and how to get from point A to point B. Yes, you will probably miss a few things that day. BUT by the end of the first day you will be amazed with how easy it is to get around and how much is packed in to the 2 parks and how quickly you will figure it all out. The fact that you have been there once before is all the pre-planning you need, in my opinion.

Our first visit was during all the DCA construction and the building of CarsLand so it was still a bit of a learning curve when we went last year, but it still only took a bit of time to figure everything out.

I am certainly not a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of girl, but I am able to be when heading to DL ~ and, though I won't admit it to many people, I actually kind of prefer it!

Thanks, I don't even know if I made my one ADR on the right day. I just figured it would be best on our 2nd (middle) night and we didn't want to overload ourselves with too many obligations. It is at Blue Bayou becuz the last time we were there we saw it from the ride and DH said if we ever come back he wanted to eat there. I also haven't really researched the best spot to watch WOC. I feel like such a slacker!! :rotfl:

I am going to clean house over the next couple days then start packing. I am going to try to pack everything we might need for DL in our carry-ons so we don't have to root thru our checked bags. Want to be organized so that I don't have to spend a lot of time packing us back up before heading to Aulani!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter