The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I had a high floor direct pool view (studio) and it was extremely loud (I thought the park view would have been likely quieter; I could hear the music with the door closed). It was because they have live bands that are playing now at the Craftsman Grill which went on for about 4-5 hours starting around 5-6 PM if I remember correctly. This was a weekend night though.

Park view = Silly Symphony Swings music playing over and over and over and over and over.

Of course it's not Silly Symphony Swings any more but it's still the music playing over and over and over and over and over.......

Park view = Silly Symphony Swings music playing over and over and over and over and over.

Of course it's not Silly Symphony Swings any more but it's still the music playing over and over and over and over and over.......
True but that was at least during park hours when I was less likely to be in the room. The live band went until the Craftsman Grill closed. I guess it depends when you plan on being in the room.

Last edited:
True but that was at least during park hours when I was less likely to be in the room. The live band went until the Craftsman Grill closed. I guess it depends when you plan on being in the room.

I haven't stayed there since Crafsman Grill opened but have a stay coming up in a month. Guess we'll see. But I'd be pretty surprised if that continues there. It's not only DVC rooms but a lot of hotel rooms and I could only guess a lot of complaints at music playing in that couryard that late consistently.

We're looking at booking a Studio for October for 3 adults. Do you think we'll have any luck and also would it be too crowded in the room? Never stayed DVC before.

We're looking at booking a Studio for October for 3 adults. Do you think we'll have any luck and also would it be too crowded in the room? Never stayed DVC before.
It's the size of a normal hotel room, but only 1 bed and 1 sleeper sofa. So if you would be OK in a hotel room together, and one person is willing to sleep on the sofa sleeper (or just the couch not pulled out---my grown son did that because he didn't want to pull out the bed), you will be fine. Really the only difference between a DVC studio and a regular hotel room is the little kitchenette--mini frig and microwave. And 1 bed and 1 sleeper sofa instead of 2 beds. Nice thing about the Grand Californian is that they have balconies, so that adds a little extra space if someone wants to sit outside.

When you say looking to book what do you mean? If renting I would say it's nearly 0 at this point because of the availability on that date for a studio. I would suggest having a cash back up room somewhere if you are trying to rent or an owner going on a waitlist for the room (at 7 months, if you own another resort, or now, if you own there).

When you say looking to book what do you mean? If renting I would say it's nearly 0 at this point because of the availability on that date for a studio. I would suggest having a cash back up room somewhere if you are trying to rent or an owner going on a waitlist for the room (at 7 months, if you own another resort, or now, if you own there).
Yes sorry I meant renting. We are not owners anywhere. Guess we'll keep looking.

I always send a room request with 5-6 specific room numbers and I've always been assigned one of those rooms. No guarantees of course.

If you don’t mind to share, are you submitting your requests through MS or faxing to the resort? I have faxed requests to WDW resorts with good results in the past, but this will be my first stay at any DL resort and not sure what the best method will be.

If you don’t mind to share, are you submitting your requests through MS or faxing to the resort? I have faxed requests to WDW resorts with good results in the past, but this will be my first stay at any DL resort and not sure what the best method will be.
I've always either called member services or submitted requests through the member services 'chat' on the website.

I am currently chomping at the bit to try and secure a 9/7-9/10 stay. Any other tips other than getting on the phone right at 8am?
What has been your experience with the week of Labor Day?

I am currently chomping at the bit to try and secure a 9/7-9/10 stay. Any other tips other than getting on the phone right at 8am?
Be flexible with your days and room size. Be signed in and everything done you can do before the opening---you can reserve online earlier than calling, so I'd highly recommend being online and ready to reserve. Practice ahead of time (not actually reserving, but looking at rooms and clicking them, etc.) I have never been in September so hopefully somebody else can answer that.

Last edited:

You do mean getting online right at 8am, correct? Phones don't open until 9am and you'd never get the booking anyway if you were calling in.

We haven’t stayed at VGC for a couple of years. Our last few stays at GC have been in normal rooms. But in April we’ll be back in the villas. I’m having trouble remembering, do the villas have USB outlets everywhere like the regular rooms? Or are they just a/c power outlets?

We haven’t stayed at VGC for a couple of years. Our last few stays at GC have been in normal rooms. But in April we’ll be back in the villas. I’m having trouble remembering, do the villas have USB outlets everywhere like the regular rooms? Or are they just a/c power outlets?
There are a few USB outlets, on the kitchen counter and the desk in the bedroom. Not the dozen USB outlets found in the regular rooms.
(I never use those USB outlets, since some are very poorly designed)

I’m now worried about the reports of music blasting out from the Craftsman- my wife will not stand for a noisy room past 10pm. Any ideas is this is still going on? Where to pick now? I’ll be in a 1 bed.

Wow, just checked out the December bookings and I can't believe how booked it is already! We didn't have to worry the last 2 years. Think this is the ROTR and marvel land excitement?

We're thinking of taking a break from disney this december, but I was planning to book something just in case. But I'd have to waitlist at this point! Maybe that's a sign...

I'm staying at the VGC in early April, and I have a late-afternoon flight on my check-out day, which is Day 6 of my trip, so my 5-Day Park Hopper will be all used up by that point. :sad:

What I have been unable to find out is if there are lockers and showers in the pool area for using after you don't have access to your room. Thanks!

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this or not but I figured I would give it a shot! We're planning a trip to California for August with 4 nights planned for DLR (August 9-13, to be exact). I submitted a rental request to one of the rental companies we've used before for a studio with zero luck (not surprised since I'd read about the difficulty of securing one of those rooms). My question is about 1 BR since we're thinking about bringing my mom with us for this trip---is this a pipe dream at this point?

TIA for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter