The WDW Comeback: Before/After Game

Disclaimer: the next topic is a doozy. From the beginning, I wanted to avoid topics that were too “on the nose” regarding when we think the pandemic will be over or under control. But due to the financial call with Disney brass, I think the timing is right.

Topic 12 – When will the mask mandate be relaxed at WDW?
Before/After: 12/1/2021

Note: This can include any type of relaxation of the current policy:
  • Not required to wear masks outdoors at the theme parks, resorts, or Disney Springs
  • Not required to wear masks at all
  • Not required to wear masks when eating or drinking and being on the move
  • An expansion of “relaxation stations” to include outdoor areas or attraction

Before. I expect this by fall. Majority of population will be vaccinated. Evidence is beginning to show about vaccines significantly slowing transmission. AND both the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines are effective against the variants.

I say no masks at all by October.

• Not required to wear masks outdoors at the theme parks, resorts, or Disney Springs

before *only* because I’ve considered the context of Chapeks statement.
He was talking to investors, and they have their own quarters and years that do not line up with traditional calendar years.

If you read Chapeks comment with the investors year in mind, it does sound like masks could be relaxed in the first quarter of 22, which correlates loosely with the last quarter of 2021.

also, I don’t see the Florida state of emergency lasting through the end of the calendar year of 2021. DeSantis is a beast when it comes to senior vaccinations (my husband and his Medic crew are working major overtime to get vaccines out as fast as they arrive) and DeSantis wants Florida to be 100% open for travel.

if the SOE is gone, medical exemptions will have to be allowed. So Disney would need to adjust their policy to be in line with ADA.

furthermore, most people are conditioned to wear masks and they’ll likely exist long past mandates and recommendations. After two years of masking, I’m sure disney will rely on marketing messages (the incredibles)

before *only* because I’ve considered the context of Chapeks statement.
He was talking to investors, and they have their own quarters and years that do not line up with traditional calendar years.

If you read Chapeks comment with the investors year in mind, it does sound like masks could be relaxed in the first quarter of 22, which correlates loosely with the last quarter of 2021.

also, I don’t see the Florida state of emergency lasting through the end of the calendar year of 2021. DeSantis is a beast when it comes to senior vaccinations (my husband and his Medic crew are working major overtime to get vaccines out as fast as they arrive) and DeSantis wants Florida to be 100% open for travel.

if the SOE is gone, medical exemptions will have to be allowed. So Disney would need to adjust their policy to be in line with ADA.

furthermore, most people are conditioned to wear masks and they’ll likely exist long past mandates and recommendations. After two years of masking, I’m sure disney will rely on marketing messages (the incredibles)
temperature checks would probably the first to go

Disclaimer: the next topic is a doozy. From the beginning, I wanted to avoid topics that were too “on the nose” regarding when we think the pandemic will be over or under control. But due to the financial call with Disney brass, I think the timing is right.

I will be a contrarian and say after 12/1. Just a gut feeling, but feel they are going to be the LAST to relax their policies (i.e. will wait until after Seaworld, Universal, et al.)

I'll also say before, for parts of WDW. I'd assume DS and resorts first, probably around Disney's FY of 10/1. If that works well, 12/1 might be really close to the in-park requirement. A few days ago I'd have said after, but when Dr Fauci laid out first graders being eligible for vaccination by the school year, that really changes everything. If 5/6 year olds are being offered shots around 9/1, that means by Halloween a good portion of that age group is vaccinated, and this whole thing might be on a collision course with its end.

I will be a contrarian and say after 12/1. Just a gut feeling, but feel they are going to be the LAST to relax their policies (i.e. will wait until after Seaworld, Universal, et al.)

We don’t know what Universal’s official capacity is, last time they asked on Twitter, UO didn’t respond... and uni allows gaiters. I’m sure they’ll announce *something* for the spring/summer if the state/county status changes

Before because I can easily see expansion of “relaxation stations” coming this spring or summer.

Before
I think the masks will be hard to enforce once everyone that wants a Vaccination can get one. This is likely to come by summer.

Topic 12 Results – When will the mask mandate be relaxed at WDW?

Community Total Before: 18
Community Total After: 6

Topic 13 – When will Meet & Greets return?

Before/After: 09/1/2021

Besides trying to snap a selfie on your own with a character from a distance, there is no official M&G with any characters at the moment.

Notes:
• We are looking for the classic M&G experience to return. This would include a queue, at least one character and a Disney photographer.
• This could include a character from being socially distanced from you.
• Autographs are not required to meet the requirements for this topic.

After. Of course, the true "classic M&G experience" involves touching, hugging, etc. No way that comes back by September 1. If Disney decides to do socially distanced M&G, I suspect that will happen before September. But I think Disney will decide that the headache isn't worth the candle. Who wants to stand in a socially distanced line to have a short, raised-voice conversation with a character from afar, followed by a distanced picture with masks?

After. Of course, the true "classic M&G experience" involves touching, hugging, etc. No way that comes back by September 1. If Disney decides to do socially distanced M&G, I suspect that will happen before September. But I think Disney will decide that the headache isn't worth the candle. Who wants to stand in a socially distanced line to have a short, raised-voice conversation with a character from afar, followed by a distanced picture with masks?

Yes I'd almost expect a modified version to return before hugging, touching and autographs.

Topic 13 – When will Meet & Greets return?

Before/After: 09/1/2021

Besides trying to snap a selfie on your own with a character from a distance, there is no official M&G with any characters at the moment.

Notes:
• We are looking for the classic M&G experience to return. This would include a queue, at least one character and a Disney photographer.
• This could include a character from being socially distanced from you.
• Autographs are not required to meet the requirements for this topic.
M&G's wont return until the Masks are gone. So Im going to say After. We did the Visa, M&G's a few weeks ago and with the Photog 10' away we could even take masks off and we were only family there (face palm)

M&G's wont return until the Masks are gone. So Im going to say After. We did the Visa, M&G's a few weeks ago and with the Photog 10' away we could even take masks off and we were only family there (face palm)

There are M&G now?

After. I think it could be 2022 before they are back to the same experience they were before.

Before 9/1, based on current massive downward trend in covid and anticipated vaccinations. M&G drive $$$ and Disney won't sit on their hands forever.

After. The actor's union would have the greatest say in when M&Gs come back. Given the illusion that unions are pushing for zero risk before resumption of activity signifies that M&Gs are gone for a long time. Disney may use this to turn out an updated experience of a box camera and a poster. Just step on the star mark and smile! NEXT!!!!

They could, because the 3 other parks have been doing it for months.
And they are doing it at the international parks when those opened (for sure at Paris initially)...

I say yes BEFORE 9/1 because they’ll use this on the next investor call “we’re bringing back Modified meet and greets and continuing to tease 50th celebration for a strong q3 and q4”. Gotta make it about the moolah.

they’ve got the camera stands that I abhor already lined up, so getting a few more actors to break from the Union should be easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter