The 'Wonder'ful Mexican Riviera with a nut (allergy) Full report w/pics!

Thank you so much for such a great report. I loved your honesty, and enjoyed reading all the details of your trip. You have our whole family so excited for the upcoming Christmas MR cruise on 12/18;my girls loved the food pictures and so did I.....Thank you.

Thank you, I am glad it's appreciated- it's more work than I had anticipated. The last few posts have been short and to the point because I am a "single mom" this week and I can't seem to find time to write the way I normally do. I brought my iPad along on the cruise and made notes every night, otherwise I would have nothing to report:rotfl: I'm sure there's a ton that I left out, but my goal was to reassure future cruisers that this is a worthwhile investment of your family's time and money:goodvibes

Just wanted to add my thanks - I think you met your goal! We are very excited (and reassured) about our upcoming cruise to the MR in April. Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review!

Just wanted to add my thanks - I think you met your goal! We are very excited (and reassured) about our upcoming cruise to the MR in April. Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review!

If you decide to rebook for April next year, come over to our meet thread!

Thanks for the great TR. Your honesty was appreciated. I can't wait until our MR cruise in april!

I am really not sure if you could check your husband without him being there because they also take your picture for the KTTWC when you check in. You can just check yourself in and get a boarding card though. I had to show my cruise documentation and I.D. before entering the terminal, so it's probably safer if your DH keeps his I.D. (passport etc..) with him.

All of you can board with your card, if others come later they won't need to get another one, as long as you are walking on together.

Stinkerbell, Thanks for all your patience answering questions! I apologize for asking what seems like the same question, but just to clarify...

Do you get the boarding group card (e.g., #3) before or after security? What I really want to know is, can I enter the terminal, go check myself in, get my boarding group card (and KTTW card), then leave the terminal and return an hour or so later with the family to check them in? Or, are you "stuck" in the terminal once you check in and get your boarding card and the family has to enter/check in on their own and join you after security where you can then board together? Thanks!
"Sleepin' L8" of Double Trouble pirate:

Stinkerbell, Sorry I forgot a few things...

We're still debating spending the night and doing the shutlle versus driving in that morning and just paying to park (like we have in the past).

When you checked in to the Doubletree, what shuttle time were you able to book for your family? I understand you can't book it until you check in. I know you went early, but was the shuttle a hassle when they came to join you later?

I've cruised from the port before so am somewhat familiar, but can you be more specific on where the shuttle picks you up after the cruise ("across the street" I believe you said?). Is there a sign? Did you have to wait long or "fight" the crowds to get on? Basically, was it worth the hassle to save the parking $$?

Lastly (for now), we've always traveled with "carry-on" luggage only and usually get off the ship first just after 7:00 or so. It seems from the TRs, the ship is docking a bit later these days(?). Do you happen to know when the earliest group debarked? I'm not in too big a rush since we're returning on a Wednesday and will have to deal with traffic, but I was just wondering since we've got a bit of a drive to get home.

Thank you so much again for all the great info!

Sleepin' L8 pirate: of Double Trouble

Stinkerbell, or anyone else in the know,

Sorry I can't get all my questions into one post...too much on my brain perhaps. We've cruised twice out of LA but have parked in the lot both times and never paid that much attention to the other details.

Anyway, do you recall seeing a taxi stand when you exited the ship back in LA? I was thinking about grabbing one back to the hotel instead of waiting on the shuttle, but wasn't sure what the cab availability was like. I don't want to plan on a cab and then have none show up.

Thanks again!

Stinkerbell, Thanks for all your patience answering questions! I apologize for asking what seems like the same question, but just to clarify...

Do you get the boarding group card (e.g., #3) before or after security? What I really want to know is, can I enter the terminal, go check myself in, get my boarding group card (and KTTW card), then leave the terminal and return an hour or so later with the family to check them in? Or, are you "stuck" in the terminal once you check in and get your boarding card and the family has to enter/check in on their own and join you after security where you can then board together? Thanks!

I got my boarding number before going through security and I see no reason why you couldn't leave the terminal and come back later.

When you walk in the terminal, they have you fill out the "family illness" paper before checking in. When you check in, they take a picture of your family and give you your boarding group. That's all before security.

Stinkerbell, or anyone else in the know,

Sorry I can't get all my questions into one post...too much on my brain perhaps. We've cruised twice out of LA but have parked in the lot both times and never paid that much attention to the other details.

Anyway, do you recall seeing a taxi stand when you exited the ship back in LA? I was thinking about grabbing one back to the hotel instead of waiting on the shuttle, but wasn't sure what the cab availability was like. I don't want to plan on a cab and then have none show up.

Thanks again!

We just returned today. There were lots of cabs there but I don't know if they were called in advance or were just waiting for people. My guess is a little of both.

Stinkerbell, Lastly (for now), we've always traveled with "carry-on" luggage only and usually get off the ship first just after 7:00 or so. It seems from the TRs, the ship is docking a bit later these days(?). Do you happen to know when the earliest group debarked? I'm not in too big a rush since we're returning on a Wednesday and will have to deal with traffic, but I was just wondering since we've got a bit of a drive to get home.

On Feb 27, the ship cleared customs at 9:15 am. I don't know how long it took the first passengers to make their way though customs and baggage claim but the last passegers left the ship by around 11 am and were out of the terminal sometime between 11:30 and noon.

Stinkerbell, Sorry I forgot a few things...

We're still debating spending the night and doing the shutlle versus driving in that morning and just paying to park (like we have in the past).

When you checked in to the Doubletree, what shuttle time were you able to book for your family? I understand you can't book it until you check in. I know you went early, but was the shuttle a hassle when they came to join you later?

I've cruised from the port before so am somewhat familiar, but can you be more specific on where the shuttle picks you up after the cruise ("across the street" I believe you said?). Is there a sign? Did you have to wait long or "fight" the crowds to get on? Basically, was it worth the hassle to save the parking $$?

Lastly (for now), we've always traveled with "carry-on" luggage only and usually get off the ship first just after 7:00 or so. It seems from the TRs, the ship is docking a bit later these days(?). Do you happen to know when the earliest group debarked? I'm not in too big a rush since we're returning on a Wednesday and will have to deal with traffic, but I was just wondering since we've got a bit of a drive to get home.

Thank you so much again for all the great info!

Sleepin' L8 pirate: of Double Trouble

I signed up for the shuttle when we checked in and was given the first time slot (10:30 am). DH said that he just gave the driver his name and it was easy getting on and being dropped off. The pick-up for the hotel is the little concrete island opposite the port, almost all the way down on the left. There was no sign and honestly I don't think there is a designated place that the shuttle stops, it may depend on where he finds an open spot. We were the first family in "line" for the shuttle, however there were others waiting, they were across the street and didn't know where the pick-up spot was- so they had to wait for the next van. Lastly, disembarkation began around 0745 for those with early flights and carry on luggage. I hope this helps...have a great trip!

Thanks, we are going for the 10 day in April. Can't wait! I appreciate the details though, and the pictures!~:)

WOW!! Thank you so much for posting your very detailed trip report. I read every word until the very end. You certainly spent a lot of time and effort and it is MUCH appreciated. I did laugh when you mentioned your husband's "I'm not getting off the ship in Mexico" and felt the need to mention it to my husband who is of the same thought.

We leave 04/03 (arriving in LA on 04/02) and can't wait! Our cruise docs arrived and that was exciting, but reading your TR has me pumped even more.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!! :banana:

Lastly, disembarkation began around 0745 for those with early flights and carry on luggage. I hope this helps...have a great trip!

Just want to make people aware that it CAN be later. We also just returned on Sunday and because of conditions out of our control (strong winds, a family who was INCREDIBLY late to get back on the ship in Cabo on Friday--who knows for sure) the ship got in at least an hour-hour & a half late. They didn't clear us through customs until at least 9:00, and I was quite stressed as to whether we would make our 12:10 flight out of LAX. It all worked out, but getting in on time in Port Canaveral had never been an issue before, so I really didn't worry about our flight time until that morning.

We sailed on 2/20-2/27 Disney Wonder. FYI:

. checked in to Double Tree San Pedro around 1:40pm on the previous day, and got the 10am shuttle bus. BTW, there are two shuttle buses, each takes 8-10 people.

. first got boarding group #4 at the check in counter, then got group #6 from the security::confused::. We ended up boarding with group 4 (only 1 family showed up when they called group 3).

. Since we carried on our luggage, we were one of the first to disembark (around 9:30, I think). There were quite a few taxis waiting outside. One of the drivers told us that designated DoubleTree shuttle waiting area was the concrete island right next to the pedestrian cross walk of Perth 93 (actually the same spot where we were dropped off). The Double Tree shuttle bus showed up within 5 minutes after we called them.

Hope you have a nice trip!

Thanks so much for your fun report! I'm glad your children loved the clubs so much and gave you some adult time. So important for families!:thumbsup2 I really enjoyed your report, and your kids are beautiful. My husband has the same view of Mexico, even though we took a resort vacation in PV a couple of years ago and had a great time - we did get sick.

Your report is helping me get through the wait until our Repo cruise in 53 days!!!!:banana:

wonderful trip report, thank you so much for all the pictures! Made me get even more excited for my upcoming cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter