Those using Disney Vacation Account

Do you mean AT the park? Because you can not use your DVA in person whatsoever. It should qualify if you pay by phone though.
No, I mean book and pay for it BEFORE my vacation, and have that amount be applied towards my bonus. In other words, is prebooking and paying for say, "Keys to the Kingdom" a qualified purchase?

I think you answered my questions, though. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have had a DVA for a year now. We opened it because we are taking a Disney Cruise in February of 2017, which we knew would be a $3,000 booking and would by using it would result in $60 gift card credit just by booking the trip. As other posters have mentioned, every bit helps.

I funded the account to pay for the cruise by purchasing discounted Disney gift cards at Sam's Club, and bought these discounted cards using my Disney Rewards Visa. So, I guess you could say it's like triple dipping - I got the rewards to my cc, bought discounted GC's, and will save a tad with the DVA. Between all three, it saves me about $230. That adds up!

We made a trip to WDW in January, and the park tickets had already been purchased before I learned about the DVA. But I did buy my Memory Maker (using discounted gift cards) through it and plan on using it for any future Disney expenses we have that we can use it.

It's 2% extra cash back towards money I am going to spend anyhow and will continue to spend. We have had no issues with it to cause concern. We don't have it set up for auto payments either. We simply deposit Disney gift cards into the account. I will happily risk the potential headaches for $500 back on our Disney Vacation Club dues, Disney cruises, Adventures by Disney trips, park passes and special events.

I just tried to open a DVA account, but it didn't have an option to use a Disney GC on the account opening contribution page. Is there a way to use a Disney GC for that initial deposit? It obviously accepts GCs as contribution as many have reported doing so here. TIA.

LAX

I just tried to open a DVA account, but it didn't have an option to use a Disney GC on the account opening contribution page. Is there a way to use a Disney GC for that initial deposit? It obviously accepts GCs as contribution as many have reported doing so here. TIA.

LAX
Schedule your credit card deposit for a future date to open the account. Deposit the gift card and cancel the credit card deposit.

Schedule your credit card deposit for a future date to open the account. Deposit the gift card and cancel the credit card deposit.

Thanks so much. I didn't realize setting up automatic deposits allows the option to delay the initial one (I had chosen the one-time option because I didn't want to set up recurring deposit).

LAX

Hello, just wondering if we are too late for the advantages of a DVA??? The final payment for our May cruise is due in February - less than the 120 day mark for the bonus. Also, we are using a travel agent. I thought it may still be helpful to load our gift cards on??? Any advice would be so appreciated - thanks!

I've used the DVA for several years now, no problems.
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I have no concern about opening the account - my question is more of any value. I believe we are too late for the bonus unless it has anything to do with our actual travel date and not our final payment date.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I have no concern about opening the account - my question is more of any value. I believe we are too late for the bonus unless it has anything to do with our actual travel date and not our final payment date.

You may be too late on that. I had forgotten what the time limit was there. Using a TA has no bearing on anything with the DVA.

You may not get the bonus this time, but it can accumulate for the next Disney trip. Every qualifying purchase you make will go to a future bonus and a TA (or Disney Reservation folks) can pull the payment from there just as easily as from a credit card. I've used been using it since Feb 2015 without any big issues...

Hello, just wondering if we are too late for the advantages of a DVA??? The final payment for our May cruise is due in February - less than the 120 day mark for the bonus. Also, we are using a travel agent. I thought it may still be helpful to load our gift cards on??? Any advice would be so appreciated - thanks!

We miscalculated by a few days on a payment for Adventures by Disney. I called to ask if they would allow a delayed payment and the answer was no. The cast member suggested I make the payment and then call a few days later and request a refund and change payment method. We did that and it worked out fine. I just made sure to pay with a credit card that was at the beginning of the statement period so I wouldn't be stuck with any payments or fees while the refund would be processing.

What's the advantage of the DVA if not the bonus? I'd just combine your gift cards on disneygiftcard.com so you can use them when you arrive, too.

What's the advantage of the DVA if not the bonus? I'd just combine your gift cards on disneygiftcard.com so you can use them when you arrive, too.
If you plan future trips, loading the gift cards that you were planning to use for the final payment, then making the final payment from the DVA will count towards future bonuses. They accumulate.

So by making the final payment on the cruise from the DVA (which IS a qualifying purchase) you may not qualify for the bonus NOW, but if you use the DVA for future trips, THIS payment will go towards future bonuses.

Also, if your payment is in excess of the $1000 per $20 bonus, the remaining amount goes towards the next bonus. So if your payment is for $1300, and you DO qualify for a $20 gift card this time around for the $1000, the remaining $300 goes towards the NEXT bonus....you don't lose it for bonus purposes, it's just added on to the next one.

If you plan future trips, loading the gift cards that you were planning to use for the final payment, then making the final payment from the DVA will count towards future bonuses. They accumulate.

So by making the final payment on the cruise from the DVA (which IS a qualifying purchase) you may not qualify for the bonus NOW, but if you use the DVA for future trips, THIS payment will go towards future bonuses.

Also, if your payment is in excess of the $1000 per $20 bonus, the remaining amount goes towards the next bonus. So if your payment is for $1300, and you DO qualify for a $20 gift card this time around for the $1000, the remaining $300 goes towards the NEXT bonus....you don't lose it for bonus purposes, it's just added on to the next one.

Let's see if I understand your post correctly. I have literally just opened a DVA account yesterday, so if I make a payment for a qualifying purchase in let's say January 2017, even if it's less than 120 days, it will still count towards the bonus when making another DVA qualifying purchase in the future.

In other words, when I make an $800 payment in January 2017 (less than 120 days from account opening) and follow that with a $200 payment in July 2017 (more than 120 days from account opening), I will still qualify for the $20 GC bonus in July when the cumulative total purchase at the time will be $1,000?

LAX

Let's see if I understand your post correctly. I have literally just opened a DVA account yesterday, so if I make a payment for a qualifying purchase in let's say January 2017, even if it's less than 120 days, it will still count towards the bonus when making another DVA qualifying purchase in the future.

In other words, when I make an $800 payment in January 2017 (less than 120 days from account opening) and follow that with a $200 payment in July 2017 (more than 120 days from account opening), I will still qualify for the $20 GC bonus in July when the cumulative total purchase at the time will be $1,000?

LAX
I believe that's correct. When I have requested my bonuses, it's never been $1000 increments - there's always been excess of that. Example: One of my recent trips, one of the payments I made towards resort, dining, hard ticket events was somewhere around $2,300...I got the bonus for the $2000, but the $300 will go towards my next trip.

After using it for awhile, it's hard to keep all the amounts straight, as I often have overlapping trips, and the room deposit for my next trip may end up being credited towards a bonus, along with left-over amounts from previous trips...

My last trip, I tried to figure out how much my bonus would be, and it ended up to be more than I calculated...confusing isn't it!

I would call them to make sure though, if you have questions, but this has been my experience.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm assuming that your payment, even within the 120 day period SHOULD apply to a future bonus...but call them to be sure...I would hate to give you the wrong answer!

Last edited:
I believe that's correct. When I have requested my bonuses, it's never been $1000 increments - there's always been excess of that. Example: One of my recent trips, one of the payments I made towards resort, dining, hard ticket events was somewhere around $2,300...I got the bonus for the $2000, but the $300 will go towards my next trip.

After using it for awhile, it's hard to keep all the amounts straight, as I often have overlapping trips, and the room deposit for my next trip may end up being credited towards a bonus, along with left-over amounts from previous trips...

My last trip, I tried to figure out how much my bonus would be, and it ended up to be more than I calculated...confusing isn't it!

I would call them to make sure though, if you have questions, but this has been my experience.

I realize you may not have the answer, but the key in my question is whether the amount made at less than 120 days from account opening counts towards a future GC bonus when the cumulative total is reached at a later time when it's more than 120 days. I supposed it doesn't hurt to try since I wouldn't be getting a bonus anyway if I had just paid using a Disney GC instead of the DVA.

LAX

I realize you may not have the answer, but the key in my question is whether the amount made at less than 120 days from account opening counts towards a future GC bonus when the cumulative total is reached at a later time when it's more than 120 days. I supposed it doesn't hurt to try since I wouldn't be getting a bonus anyway if I had just paid using a Disney GC instead of the DVA.

LAX
Sorry, I posted what I did because I was surprised that the bonus accumulation was rolling - then I remembered that you were asking about the payment qualifying within the 120 days only after I hit the POST button - I edited my reply to say that I THINK that's how it works, but you should call to be sure...I don't want to give you the wrong answer!:scared1:

If you find out something different when you call, please come back and let us know...thanks!!

Sorry, I posted what I did because I was surprised that the bonus accumulation was rolling - then I remembered that you were asking about the payment qualifying within the 120 days only after I hit the POST button - I edited my reply to say that I THINK that's how it works, but you should call to be sure...I don't want to give you the wrong answer!:scared1:

If you find out something different when you call, please come back and let us know...thanks!!

I am pretty sure the standard answer if I call will be it won't qualify if it's less than 120 days. Hence, I am looking more for actual experiences that some people here may have. Perhaps I can try and see what happens! Since I have just opened the account, I don't even have access to my account number. Thus, I will need to report back at a later date to see how that turns out.

LAX

I am pretty sure the standard answer if I call will be it won't qualify if it's less than 120 days. Hence, I am looking more for actual experiences that some people here may have. Perhaps I can try and see what happens! Since I have just opened the account, I don't even have access to my account number. Thus, I will need to report back at a later date to see how that turns out.

LAX
You may just be right...this is from the "Program Details" section of the DVA website:

You'll be eligible for a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2017 (date subject to extension), up to a total $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Your Disney Vacation Account must be active for a minimum of 120 days at the time of spending in order to receive this bonus. Request your Disney Gift Card(s) 4-6 weeks in advance of your vacation date to allow time for delivery to your mailing address. See FAQs for complete details.
But I guess I would still question them about whether it could be applied to a future bonus...doesn't hurt to ask... :)

EDITED AGAIN: One other thing to remember is that they let you set up separate accounts for separate trips....BUT (and I learned this one the hard way!) if you set up different accounts for different trips, EACH ONE of them is subject to 120 days rule. I originally had different accounts named for the dates of different trips, and got stung with this. Now, I have one account with a generic name, and do all my contributions and payments from there instead of separate accounts for separate trips.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter