Thousands may have been exposed to coronavirus on Princess cruise ship; 62 passengers confined

Not to make light of the situation.. but holy cow what an article title/text. I am reading it, hearing the Mission Impossible theme music, picturing fully-armed, dressed in black, navy seal types, repelling down. Their rifles loaded with tranquilizer darts, stealthily moving around corners, knocking out passengers and testing them. DRAMATIC...

Not to make light of the situation.. but holy cow what an article title/text. I am reading it, hearing the Mission Impossible theme music, picturing fully-armed, dressed in black, navy seal types, repelling down. Their rifles loaded with tranquilizer darts, stealthily moving around corners, knocking out passengers and testing them. DRAMATIC...

That's the Marvel Day At Sea show. You don't get that on Princess.

Not docking in SF, moving to a non-commerical port. Everyone on board will be tested, and quarantined on land accordingly.

It sounds like they only tested a sample of people. These numbers are going to be much higher once they test everyone. I’m guessing there is a higher number of crew because they were exposed to the virus on the previous sailing.

From what it seems like, of the samples they took, it was not quite half that tested positive, which, if you think of thousands of people on the ship, that number could be HUGE. Even 20% would be huge.

Not sure if they only tested people who were symptomatic or a random cross-section of guests.

Man, that sucks all the way around. I feel for the people on the ship, and even if they don't test positive now, they probably should be quarantined. But it still sucks. It's not like it was their fault, or really anyone's fault. Isn't the closest quarantine site in LA area? Or is there more than one in CA? I bet those quarantine sites are a heck of a lot of fun :sad2: I guess if you want some alone time it would be good:confused3 I hope they have wi-fi and electronic devices; otherwise, there could be some really bored, upset people. I am fairly healthy, so I don't worry about the virus itself, but I sure as heck would worry about possible quarantine.

Curious as to what point does quarantine become pointless. If soon so many people will be exposed anyway what would be the point of quarantine. I am talking about the general population, not that cruise. Just wondering.

MJ

When the CDC decides they are past the containment/slow-down-the-spread stage, and move to the mitigation stage. From what the CDC and HHS has been saying, this will be when they determine that community spread is up to 4 generations.. e.g.- if in the community you get people where they are more than 3 infected individuals away from a suspected person who carried it into the country.

Edit to say: that is the definition of the transition from containment to mitigation they were talking about a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea if that has changed, as I haven't heard anything new in that regard.

Man, that sucks all the way around. I feel for the people on the ship, and even if they don't test positive now, they probably should be quarantined. But it still sucks. It's not like it was their fault, or really anyone's fault. Isn't the closest quarantine site in LA area? Or is there more than one in CA? I bet those quarantine sites are a heck of a lot of fun :sad2: I guess if you want some alone time it would be good:confused3 I hope they have wi-fi and electronic devices; otherwise, there could be some really bored, upset people. I am fairly healthy, so I don't worry about the virus itself, but I sure as heck would worry about possible quarantine.
I followed the blog of the honeymooming couple that was aboard the DP. I read the whole thing last week when I was trying to get a feel for what quarantine would be like if it happened to us. What I took away from it was that its really what you make of it, like most things really. That and make sure you really like your traveling companion! LOL

I followed the blog of the honeymooming couple that was aboard the DP. I read the whole thing last week when I was trying to get a feel for what quarantine would be like if it happened to us. What I took away from it was that its really what you make of it, like most things really. That and make sure you really like your traveling companion! LOL

I’d be curious to know the blog name, sounds like an interesting read

Curious as to what point does quarantine become pointless. If soon so many people will be exposed anyway what would be the point of quarantine. I am talking about the general population, not that cruise. Just wondering.

MJ
I’ve thought the quarantines were stupid from the get go. Soon there will be people on every sailing that test positive. What are they going to do with all the thousands of cruisers disembarking each week.
Now the Carnival panorama is held up in LA until test results come back on two passengers. People have missed flights the next cruise is delayed. This is not going to work for the cruise industry,

I’ve thought the quarantines were stupid from the get go. Soon there will be people on every sailing that test positive. What are they going to do with all the thousands of cruisers disembarking each week.
Now the Carnival panorama is held up in LA until test results come back on two passengers. People have missed flights the next cruise is delayed. This is not going to work for the cruise industry,

This working for the cruise industry does not matter for the country letting those people enter. At this point it is 100% apparent the risk you take getting on a cruise.

Also if you test positive in normal day to day you will be quarantined as well, just happens that you can self quarantine as you don't need to travel anywhere unlike those disembarking a cruise.

This working for the cruise industry does not matter for the country letting those people enter. At this point it is 100% apparent the risk you take getting on a cruise.

Also if you test positive in normal day to day you will be quarantined as well, just happens that you can self quarantine as you don't need to travel anywhere unlike those disembarking a cruise.
They are not testing people in normal day to day.

Its not about the risk you take getting on a cruise. If they have to quaratine the cruise ship crew for 14 days after every cruise that is effectively cancelleing 2/3 of the trips on each boat (1 week cruising, 2 weeks quarantined, repeat). Not to mention where will they put all of the quarantined passengers? They will eventually run out of military bases and rented motels.

Something has to give. They will either give up on the quarantines or temporarily halt cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter