Thousands may have been exposed to coronavirus on Princess cruise ship; 62 passengers confined

Are you really going down this road.

Again those locations don't have you reentering and leaving the US. Also there is a reason diseases spread crazy on a ship but you never hear of Norovirus in day to day life basically.

The second you leave the country and want back in there are restrictions. Also not all these ship are even being checked. To be honest I haven't heard a single ship under quarantine or checked extra by the US that didn't have the disease on board.

A hotel and a cruise ship are 100% not a like.
If I really thought quarantining people on a cruise ship was going to stop the spread of this virus. I'd be all for it. You will never in a million years convince me that it will have any impact on the spread. Do you really think two years from now will be looking back saying "we really dodged a bullet by quarantining those ships"? I doubt it.

Cruise ships passengers are monitored for norovirus and hotel guests are not. Thirty people in a hotel could get Norovirus and they would all go there separate ways and you would never hear about it. I was on a cruise a few years ago where 34 people got salmonella poisoning from the breakfast buffet at the hotel they stayed at the night before. Had all these people not gone on a cruise and all gone their separate ways after leaving the hotel. It may never have been linked back to the hotel.

If I really thought quarantining people on a cruise ship was going to stop the spread of this virus. I'd be all for it. You will never in a million years convince me that it will have any impact on the spread. Do you really think two years from now will be looking back saying "we really dodged a bullet by quarantining those ships"? I doubt it.

Cruise ships passengers are monitored for norovirus and hotel guests are not. Thirty people in a hotel could get Norovirus and they would all go there separate ways and you would never hear about it. I was on a cruise a few years ago where 34 people got salmonella poisoning from the breakfast buffet at the hotel they stayed at the night before. Had all these people not gone on a cruise and all gone their separate ways after leaving the hotel. It may never have been linked back to the hotel.
The point is you DO know about the folks on the cruise. Quarantining these passengers may prevent them from spreading it further. Will it make a difference? Hopefully!!!

The point is you DO know about the folks on the cruise. Quarantining these passengers may prevent them from spreading it further. Will it make a difference? Hopefully!!!

Ya I dont get the persons point.

They said there is no way in a million years we can convince them that it would stop the spread.

Well I know for certain that it will stop those specific people from spreading it further. The less people we spread it to now means the easier process of stopping it later via ramped up testing like China or some form of treatment/vaccine in 12-18 months time.

The goal right now is to slow it as much as possible. Letting people you know who are sick just spread it further is pretty much the exact opposite of trying to stop it.

My point is the virus is most likely wide spread already and quarantining passengers is a waste of time. If one person tests positive in a hotel do they quarantine the whole hotel? What about all the healthcare workers that get exposed? School dorms? The opportunity to quarantine people is endless.
I think all the quarantines and self-isolations are about mitigating the exposure rate of everyone else.

We obviously learned from the first cruise ship that there's not much that can be done for those on the ship. Therefore every cruise passenger and crew member has to know they are rolling the dice every time they are on a ship that there may be an individuals that have it. It's a no win situation. Cripple the cruise industry beyond repair by not having any cruise ship go out for an indefinite time period or deal with the consequences of knowing that the rate of infection should someone have it on the ship is nearly unavoidable. What becomes more important is individuals in the rest of the communities out there not the people on the ship at that point as they seek to mitigate just how many people could get it from the people who were on the cruise ship.

Ya I dont get the persons point.

They said there is no way in a million years we can convince them that it would stop the spread.

Well I know for certain that it will stop those specific people from spreading it further. The less people we spread it to now means the easier process of stopping it later via ramped up testing like China or some form of treatment/vaccine in 12-18 months time.

The goal right now is to slow it as much as possible. Letting people you know who are sick just spread it further is pretty much the exact opposite of trying to stop it.
I guess we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Next cruises on Regal Princess seems to be cancelled as well. Found the pic on Twitter, posted by CruiseLaw:

I think all the quarantines and self-isolations are about mitigating the exposure rate of everyone else.

We obviously learned from the first cruise ship that there's not much that can be done for those on the ship. Therefore every cruise passenger and crew member has to know they are rolling the dice every time they are on a ship that there may be an individuals that have it. It's a no win situation. Cripple the cruise industry beyond repair by not having any cruise ship go out for an indefinite time period or deal with the consequences of knowing that the rate of infection should someone have it on the ship is nearly unavoidable. What becomes more important is individuals in the rest of the communities out there not the people on the ship at that point as they seek to mitigate just how many people could get it from the people who were on the cruise ship.

My understanding is one of the major lessons learned from the Diamond Dream is to not quarantine everyone ON the ship, as that makes the situation worse [more people infected]. So some/many things can be done to help those on board, including doing a proper quarantine off the ship -- it helps protect the community and it helps protect those on board who are not yet infected.

In the end some of it will be a crap shoot for those on board. There are multiple examples from the Diamond princess where two or more people shared a stateroom and one of them tested positive (usually asymptomatic) but the other(s) did not. It will make some interesting studies down the road to try to figure out one person got it and another did not.

Read an article yesterday that some experts believe the virus is spreading on cruise ships thru the air conditioning system. That could explain why so many people on the cruise ship quarantined in Asia got the virus. Also makes one wonder how you can properly clean the virus from all the air conditioning ducts on the ship.

Read an article yesterday that some experts believe the virus is spreading on cruise ships thru the air conditioning system. That could explain why so many people on the cruise ship quarantined in Asia got the virus. Also makes one wonder how you can properly clean the virus from all the air conditioning ducts on the ship.

More likely was the food and laundry service.

Coronaviruse germs are only known to survive a single digit number of hours at most outside of the human body, so it's not like the cruise line would have to deep clean the A/C ducts even if this unlikely scenario did occur when contagious guests were onboard. They would just have to evecuate the ship for a day.

Coronaviruse germs are only known to survive a single digit number of hours at most outside of the human body, so it's not like the cruise line would have to deep clean the A/C ducts even if this unlikely scenario did occur when contagious guests were onboard. They would just have to evecuate the ship for a day.

The report I saw from an expert said the virus can live on hard surfaces for up to 9 days. That is a long time if it is true. But honestly, I don’t think anyone knows for sure at this point how long the virus can survive.

Coronaviruse germs are only known to survive a single digit number of hours at most outside of the human body...
Not sure where you are getting those numbers from. According to the WHO:
It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment).
In other words- 1) we don't know how long COVID-19 survives on surfaces, and 2) other coronaviruses have been known to survive for several days.

Just received a letter from DCL You can cancel amy cruise sailing before 5/31 and receive a credit to be used within 12mths. No fee.

There is a reason that this keeps on happening with Princess and Carnival group cruise ships. They are also the worst offenders for illegal dumping in the seas. Market analysts seem to believe that this has to do with their leadership:

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3549383-nomura-see-dichotomy-in-cruise-line-sector

From what I heard online (news channel) it could be an issue with the crew. There are crew members who switched ships (were on the Grand, now on the Regal) and I believe they are concerned that they could spread it. I haven't sailed on Princess, but have extended family who have and they feel the ships are kept clean, but I have no stake in this one way or the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter