Thurs nite JIKO review

Peter Pirate 2

<font color=red>I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I
Called for a same day reservation at about 3:30 and got my first time choice of 7:30.

Was seated after about a five minute wait, although tables were empty and no bartender was in sight so I don't know what they gained from the small delay.

Ordered our favorite app, the duck/pork firecracker (springroll). It was as good as ever. My daughter had the Kenyan coffee chicken flatbread as her entree and (as usual) it was great. I had the remainder for lunch the next day! I had the corn crusted halibut over vegitable du jour. It was probably the largest piece of fish I've ever had at a fine restaurant and was oh so good and many of you may recall I've been critical of the halibut in the past, but this time it was first rate!

For desert we had their version of the banana split which was elegant and tasty. Maybe not a home run but a good solid bases loaded double.

Now the only downer was (again) the service. I can't remember his name and although he made no huge errors we never felt welcome, I know he wasn't listening to us as evidenced by an obvious gaffe during our discussion of the menu. He wasn't real quick to our needs but not particularily slow either. All in all his service was OK but certainly less than what we're accustomed to at say FF or AP.

One last item. The DRESS CODE. Upon calling the dining CM stated that "Jiko is a dress code restaurant, but rather than tell you what is allowed they basically tell you what you can't wear and that is cut offs, torn clothing of any kind, bathing suits and coverups, tee shirts and caps for men." That was it! Upon sitting I quickly noticed a gentleman in NY Knicks basketball shorts, a Nike Just Do IT tee shirt and baseball cap...So much for the code.

Thats it!
pirate:

Thanks for the review! Jiko is a particular favorite of mine, and short of the service issue, it sounds like you enjoyed your meal.

we have dined at jiko many times and the service has always been wonderful. we will be there next weekend for my husband's birthday celebration. i have a question: "their verison of the banana split" sounds interesting. is it big enough to share? what makes it special? thanks for the review! :wave:

We always "used to" have great service too, but this year really has been mediocre. Not bad, but certainly no way could it be described as wonderful.

The desert is a sundae really, built along the lines of a banana split, with two matching carmelized banana slices covered in a chocolate sauce with finely chopped nuts. In the middle was two scoops of chocolate surrounding one scoop of vanilla ice cream. No cherries, pineapple or the like, so while it's prepared banana split like it really is more of a sundae.
pirate:

Love love love those firecrackers and flatbread. Thanks for the review, I can't wait to get back there in December! :thumbsup2

Thanks for your review. We ate at Jiko for the first time last year, and our service stunk. It made it worse that it was our first anniversary.

I so wish I could fit Jikos in my trip later this month, all the reviews on the food have been great.

I also ate at Jiko on Thursday.

Best meal at Disney, just beating out Boma. Still have le Cellier tomorrow night.

Unbelievable, out of this world braised short rib. Wife loved the salmon. The coffee chicken? (forgot exact name) app was superb as well. We also had the Taste of Africa which was decent.

Perhaps the best meal I've had since Pacific O in Lahaina, Maui.

Highy, highy recommend. If you don't want to spend 2 credits on Jiko, do yourself a favor and go to BOMA at the AK Lodge.

Ate at Jiko this past July and I have to agree that the pork and duck firecracker is excellent!! I also believe the halibut was the best I've ever had. We had a wonderful server named Lita that was an absolute delight and I would not hesitate to return!

Thanks for the review. A word to the wise -- the duck/pork firecrackers have been taken off the menu during the DDP free dining promotion. We ate at Jiko twice last week and asked why they weren't on the menu. Reason: free dining promotion. The waiter said they'd be back after Sept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter