Ticket Question

GrandBob

Grand events should not go unnoticed
My wife and I will be in Tokyo later this month and would like to spend one day at Disneyland Resort (it's all the time we have). I went to the web site to purchase tickets, and found that I would need to specify a date and resort. We *think* we want Tokyo DisneySea, and we *think* we'll be there on a Tuesday (Wednesday also possible). But I don't want to commit yet.

So my question is, what's the down side to just waiting until we arrive and buying tickets at the gate? Are the prices the same as online? Yes, I know we'd have to wait at the ticket kiosk (hopefully for not a hugely long time?). And while there's a chance of tickets selling out, the tdrnavi crowd calendar is predicting 65 and 61 for our two possible days, so I'm not too worried.

So, can I confidently just wait until we arrive? Again, prices the same?

Thanks,
Bob

I think the prices are the same. As with anything, there is a risk that the tickets could be sold out by the time you arrive.

But, if the crowd calendar indicates that it won't be particularly busy, then you should be fine. You can also buy tickets in advance from one of the Disney Stores in Tokyo.

If you decide on a date after you are in Japan, I think you can also buy TDR tickets at the Disney store. But I don't think you will have a problem buying on the day, just be sure to arrive early.

The only thing about buying on the day is timing. Hoards of people will be lining up at least an hour before opening. Not sure what time the ticket office opens, but if you have to wait for the office to open, then go to the back of the line, you'll be way back.

The ticket office has been open when we arrived an hour early. There was no line for tickets, so it only took a couple of minutes to grab them and then join the already long line!

The ticket office has been open when we arrived an hour early. There was no line for tickets, so it only took a couple of minutes to grab them and then join the already long line!

Thanks Agent86 (but Barbara Feldon was my favorite!) and everyone else. I think then that I'll just wait until we get there. Buying at a Disney store is a possibility. But last I looked, there wasn't one that was very convenient to Shinjuku, where we're staying.

Also, I'm starting to re-think which park. I know that the common wisdom is to go to TDS, as that's very unique among Disney parks. But I looked again at the rides, and I think we'll enjoy the rides at TDL better. Any thoughts on that issue?

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks Agent86 (but Barbara Feldon was my favorite!) and everyone else. I think then that I'll just wait until we get there. Buying at a Disney store is a possibility. But last I looked, there wasn't one that was very convenient to Shinjuku, where we're staying.

There is a Disney Store in Shibuya which is very close to Shinjuku. Shibuya is worth a stop anyway for the famous crossing (total insane # of people crossing the street at the same time) and Hachiko statue.

If I had to choose between the 2 parks, I'd choose TDS. Most of the best rides at TDL are similar to ones in other parks (except Pooh), plus TDS is mind-bogglingly beautiful. It's true that TDL has more rides, but more of the ones at TDS are unique. If you're into thrill rides, it's fun to see Tower of Terror which a different theme and Journey to the Center of the Earth is also cool. If you like to take things slower, Sindbad is a sleeper ride in that it never has a line but it's won the hearts of everyone I know who's ridden it. You'll have a GREAT time whichever park you choose- but if you choose TDL think hard and make sure you won't end up regretting checking out TDS when you had the opportunity.

Have you been to other Disney parks? If so, I would recommend DisneySea. It is entirely unique to "Disney" and is regarded as one of the best, if not *the* best, theme parks in the world.

I guess it depends upon what is important to you - riding rides which you're familiar with and enjoy or exploring a "new" world with many unique features and not as many rides. If you had the finances, you could always buy tickets to both parks and spend half a day in each park (there is no one-day park hopper ticket available to my knowledge).

DisneySea is probably a slightly more "adult" park (the majority of visitors in Tokyo are teenagers and young adults - not children), so if you have many young children then they may not enjoy it as much (although there is still plenty for them, especially the Little Mermaid area).

Thank you, both of you. We may check out Shibuya. But we have only 3 nights, which is 2 full days and one partial day, to visit Tokyo (our main destination is Kyoto). One of those days will be TDR, and we also want to see the Imperial Palace and Ginza district, so our time is extremely limited.

You both make a good case for TDS. In answer to Agent 86, we live in Northern California and go to Disneyland nearly every year. Have also been several times to WDW and once to Disneyland Paris. It appears we may have to Get Smart and go to TDS. Any recommendations on the order to get FPs to the TDS attractions? Thanks again.

Bob

DisneySea does sound like the best idea.

Fast Pass strategy for DS would be: Toy Story Mania (although you may want to skip this if you've been on it plenty of times in the US), then either Journey to the Centre of the Earth or Tower of Terror. I'd probably grab FPs for TSM, then run to Journey to ride it a couple of times in a row before the line gets too long (as most of the crowd will go from TSM to Tower since they're in the same general area) and then FP for Tower. After that, probably FP for Indiana Jones. Maybe Raging Spirits, although I personally find that ride too short to "waste" a FP on and I only ride it if it's basically walk-on.

O/T: I agree - Agent 99 was amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter