Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

I seem to be getting worse at this rather than better. I made pillow cases and they just bled so badly and the Mickey are just big blobs. I can't seem to keep them from bleeding out no matter how hard I try anymore. I do use a white paint pen on them and it looks slightly better. I'll post pictures later. I have found the bleach pen is absolutely worthless as it bleed REALLY bad and makes a weird mickey head after the bleeding. I'll post some pictures later when I get them all loaded.

Here are a few I have loaded...my new ones aren't yet.
I don't know if I ever posted this one, but it was a nice lands end shirt that got a bleach spot on it after wearing it once. I was so made....so I creats a bleached out shirt and I like it and wear it now.

tshirt1.jpg

I made a ton of handkerchiefs. Some are better than others. I used different styles and colors. I am using as part of my fish extender gift on our upcoming cruise in Nov.

tyedie1.jpg

Most of these came out with a more defined Mickey.

This shirt looks much better in person than in the picture....it also looks so huge in the picture....and it's just a large, so not sure why it looks like a tent. LOL I will be wearing this on my arrival day in Nov.

mytyedieshirt.jpg

And DD's matching dress.

tyediedressfront.jpg

Thanks to all the help on this board, here are our tie-dye mickey shirts for our upcoming trip. I am SOOO pleased with how they turned out. My almost 40 yr old DH who grew up in Woodstock :hippie: has NEVER had anything tie-dyed and is so excited about these shirts - He keeps walking by them and saying WOW!!!
:rainbow:
i-P5PKkDW-L.jpg

I want to make shirts for our MNSSHP night. I want them to be just orange/purple/black to keep "Halloween-y". Can I just buy certain color dye? Any thoughts????

I highly recommend Dharma fiber reactive dyes. You can order individual colors and the colors come out bright and stay bright on 100% cotton. I made Halloween shirts using Deep Orange, Bright Green and a purple (cant remember specific color name). Was very pleased with how they came out , you can find a picture on page 116. I think you have to be careful with black. It can take over very quickly. This is a perhaps a personal preference, but I always want tie dye to be bright and fun.

I seem to be getting worse at this rather than better. I made pillow cases and they just bled so badly and the Mickey are just big blobs. I can't seem to keep them from bleeding out no matter how hard I try anymore. I do use a white paint pen on them and it looks slightly better. I'll post pictures later. I have found the bleach pen is absolutely worthless as it bleed REALLY bad and makes a weird mickey head after the bleeding. I'll post some pictures later when I get them all loaded.

Jen, I think those are fantastic!!!! I especially love the light blue one with all of the mh's on it- so cute! :thumbsup2

I think your shirts look great. Are you not happy with the I have only made a few shirts but when I do the head I pull the floss VERY tight and then rubberband the hell out of it. I probably put 15 larger rubberbands around the area where the floss is.
Also when applying the dye try not to get it close the the rubberbands.

However I think your shirts look great!!!:)

So, what did you use for the Mickey head outline on this one? Bleach pen or something else? They look great! I dyed some shirts yesterday and I can't wait to rinse them ou tonight and see how they turned out! I'm thinking I'll probably need to do an outline, so I want to know what to use! TIA!

So, what did you use for the Mickey head outline on this one? Bleach pen or something else? They look great! I dyed some shirts yesterday and I can't wait to rinse them ou tonight and see how they turned out! I'm thinking I'll probably need to do an outline, so I want to know what to use! TIA!

I use a white paint pen. The bleach pen bleeds way too much and distorts the head.

Jen, I think those are fantastic!!!! I especially love the light blue one with all of the mh's on it- so cute! :thumbsup2

Thanks...

I think your shirts look great. Are you not happy with the I have only made a few shirts but when I do the head I pull the floss VERY tight and then rubberband the hell out of it. I probably put 15 larger rubberbands around the area where the floss is.
Also when applying the dye try not to get it close the the rubberbands.

However I think your shirts look great!!!:)

Thanks....I use 2 -3 rubberbands...so maybe if I use more it would come out better.

Is there a certain brand of paint pen? Is it fabric paint? My mickeys didn't come out great so I'm going to have to outline them for sure!

Is there a certain brand of paint pen? Is it fabric paint? My mickeys didn't come out great so I'm going to have to outline them for sure!

I can't remember the brand...it's upstairs (2 flights of stairs from me right now). But I'll look and post later.

labdogs42 said:

I used a bleach.pen. Did little hash marks all around Mickey's head. Worked perfectly!

DH and I just finished our first set of tie dye shirts for the trip! These are for MNSSHP. We used Dharma dyes and read through this thread about a million times...thank you to all for your instructions, tips, and hints! I apologize about so many pictures, but we made 12 shirts, and I'm so very excited about how they turned out :cool1:

All 12:
e14b5a5d.jpg

Fronts:

15e57da7.jpg
2239495d.jpg
fca530fc.jpg
8617290b.jpg

Backs:

79265656.jpg
f473a7bc.jpg
fceb33c9.jpg
bd7bcd78.jpg

Close-Ups

ddd9768a.jpg
f524e32a.jpg

My Mom and Little Sister modeling theirs:

35fc1ec0.jpg

DH and I just finished our first set of tie dye shirts for the trip! These are for MNSSHP. We used Dharma dyes and read through this thread about a million times...thank you to all for your instructions, tips, and hints! I apologize about so many pictures, but we made 12 shirts, and I'm so very excited about how they turned out :cool1:

All 12:
e14b5a5d.jpg

Look great!!!

mamathompson - Your shirts came out amazing!!!! Your mickey's are very awesome and do not look heart shaped at all! Do you have any pics from when you were doing it? What did you use to get the Mickey shape?

mamathompson - Your shirts came out amazing!!!! Your mickey's are very awesome and do not look heart shaped at all! Do you have any pics from when you were doing it? What did you use to get the Mickey shape?

Thank You! I didn't take any of the process. We followed the directions from this thread and hoped it worked :rotfl:
My husband stitched the shirt with single waxed dental floss and pulled it super tight and then knotted the floss together. It ended up being such a small amount of floss because he pulled it so so tight. Then he did about 15 rubber bands as tight as he could just under that a full inch or more of rubberband, more than you would think, and also ridiculously tight. Hope that helps!

Thank You! I didn't take any of the process. We followed the directions from this thread and hoped it worked :rotfl:
My husband stitched the shirt with single waxed dental floss and pulled it super tight and then knotted the floss together. It ended up being such a small amount of floss because he pulled it so so tight. Then he did about 15 rubber bands as tight as he could just under that a full inch or more of rubberband, more than you would think, and also ridiculously tight. Hope that helps!

That is a help. I do think I didn't have enough rubber bands around the bottom of mine and that they were not tight enough.

What did you use as a stencil for the Mickey shape?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter