Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

There is a Mickey head in the early pages of this thread that we used. It has the ears farther apart, and he was careful to stitch on the ear where it connects to the head to get a crisp shape

I made our shirts last night. They are still 'cooking" right now.

The batch I made in 2010 (my first time) came out really good so I am hoping these did too, but I'm not too hopeful. It was raining all day yesterday so I had to do them inside and what a mess~ :headache: I got dye everywhere, including all over me!

My colors this time are red and black and everything seemed a muddy mess, plus I wrapped the danishes so tight I really had a hard time getting into the folds, so I expect a lot of white. We shall see later. I'll post pics! :thumbsup2

Our second set turned out even better than the first! Here are some pics

All 12
4c984b9c.jpg

Close Up
1c6f28b4.jpg

Backs
cbb94b2a.jpg

I can't wait to wear them in 18 days!!:cool1:

Rock on, mamathompson! Really love those rainbow spiral shirts... I may have to order some dye for a rainy day project soon!

mamathompson those are awesome! We did some today and just hoping they come out, let alone look that good lol. We made a huge mess though with it. The "gloves" that came with it didn't work so well so I look like I have severe frostbite on my fingers :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Momathompson,
Would you paste the exact link for the directions you used for your shirts? I LOVE yours and I have seen lots of different directions. I like the way your Mickey head is very clearly a Mickey head.

Thanks everyone!

Caseyem67I used the directions on this thread page 1. I read through all the tips though first. And we used about an inch (maybe more) of rubber bands as tight as possible. My husband did that job and they were so tight we ended up having to cut some of them to get them off. I think the thick band of super tight rubber bands is what did it. I used this template too, with the Mickey Ears farther apart
template_zps85cc5143.jpg

And used Dharma Dyes, which were amazing. And really not so expensive (I thought) for how nicely they covered.
And peek into the folds while dying to make sure you are getting all the way into them. My husband thought they were completely saturated so no white would show and we still had white when unwrapping, but just the right amount.
I hope that helps. It was really stressful and we felt they weren't going to turn out both times, but then they did:goodvibes
Good luck!!

Just finished reading through the thread, and am ready to try my hand at the shirts. Received my order from Dharma and can't wait to do a test shirt. I traced the Mickey head and stitched it last night, hoping to dye tomorrow. We are going this December so I am going to try red and green for Christmas.

After lurking over this thread for months, taking notes from sources all over the web, and finally ordering my dyes from Dharma, I attempted my first shirt! I'm pretty happy with the result. I didn't get as much white as I would have liked (guess i got into the pleats too well! ;) ) I would have also liked a more definitive white border around Mickey but I think that was because I needed a tighter rubber band around the Mickey head base?? I've got another one brewing right now so we shall see! Just thought I'd share my result. :)

1stattempt.jpg

2012-10-07162333.jpg

That came out awesome!!!... a little trick I use when there is not enough white is to use a clorox bleach pen to redefine the outline...Great Job!:)

That came out awesome!!!... a little trick I use when there is not enough white is to use a clorox bleach pen to redefine the outline...Great Job!:)

Yes, thank you. I had read that but I'm nervous I'll mess it up. This was my trial shirt so if I still have the problem I'm going to use the bleach pen. I may try dyeing a scrap of fabric and then practice with the bleach pen there first.

Yes, thank you. I had read that but I'm nervous I'll mess it up. This was my trial shirt so if I still have the problem I'm going to use the bleach pen. I may try dyeing a scrap of fabric and then practice with the bleach pen there first.

Use a white paint pen the bleach pens bleed really badly

Did my first test shirt yesterday and just unwrapped it about an hour ago. Not thrilled with the result. The head looks more like Stitch than Mickey! I believe I need to pull the stitching tighter and make the rubber bands around the head much tighter. I am going to try the paint pen to fix the first test shirt. Is it a fabric paint pen that I can find at AC Moore type stores? Not too too bad for a first attempt but at least now I understand what the stitching is for!

Got my first round of shirts dyed got 7 batches of 8 shirts curing as I just dyed them. Will post pictures tomorrow of the ones that I did tonight. I will have 64 total shirts done when they are all washed out. Its gonna be a very long long tomorrow night will probably take me until wednesday morning to rinse and wash them all out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter