Tipping ???????

abby

Abby's Mom
Ok, so we leave in 14 days and I never know what to do about tipping in the following areas? (when and how much??)

1. the shuttle bus driver? (How much???)

2. The maid at the hotel? do you tip once at the end of the trip and assume they share, or tip every day? if so how much? (and where do you leave the tip?????)

I dont know about hotel housekeepers, but we tip the shuttle drivers about a dollar per bag. Then I throw in a few extra bucks if the baby screamed the whole way. Which she did all the way from seatac to lakewood, about 40 min. ouch.

Your housekeepers can change so it's a good idea to tip daily. I tip $1 per person per day. So for me I leave $5 everyday for housekeeping.

HTH

Do you tip the person that removes your bags from the car (bellman?) AND the person that brings it to your room? Seems like it would be the same job, but sometimes it's a different person delivering the bags to our room.

We tip anyone who handles our bags, so yes, we tip the person who takes our bags when we arrive as well as the person who delivers them to our room. We also tip the housekeeper $5 everyday day on regular days and much more than that on Christmas since she has to work on the holiday. :santa:

I'm a little confused here - don't these folks get paid a salary? And are they not just doing what is expected from their job?

Perhaps we have phisophical differences but I thought tipping is for service above and beyond the job expectations.

Please let's continue this thread as I am interested to hear what people tip for and how much. Perhaps I am completely in the dark here.

We tipped the bellhop about $4-5 on our last trip. I think it was $4 going in to the hotel, and $5 when we left since we had so many more bags of disney stuff. LOL

You know I never tip housekeeping... guess I'm cheap there, never really thought to tip them honestly.

We normally rent a car or drive so, we've never encountered tipping a shuttle driver. However we do tip housekeeping $1 a day per person. Since we're family of 4 we tip $4 daily. For bellhop, we don't tip when we hand them our bags, we tip them when they drop the bags off in our room(it's always been the same person who took them from us in the first place). $1 a bag, $2 a bag if they are large/heavy. Same when calling bellhop to get our luggage. We don't tip them when they pick it up, we tip them as they load it into our vehicle.

In terms of tipping housekeeping, we always did it growing up and thought it was the norm. Dh thought it was weird the 1st time I did as he had never heard of tipping housekeeping prior to me. Now we do it all the time. We have 2 young kids (5&8) and although we try not to leave the room messy, we always seem to leave some mess behind.

I rent a car so I don't have to tip a driving service but I do tip the maids, $1 per head and then a few dollars more because leaving 2 bucks just dosn't seem right. but I will be there Christmas so it will be more, after all it is Christmas and she deserves a gift also :santa:

So you all tip housekeeping for running the vacum cleaner around the center of your rug - making your bed and giving you fresh towels? And they are getting a salary? What are they doing that is above and beyond the minimum that would prompt you to tip them?

Found this guideline: http://www.wdwtrips.com/plan/tipping.shtml

I still think that since I don't leave a mess - and they do very little in my room - that housekeeping services are covered in my room charge. Maybe I'm cheap :confused3

minnietoo said:
So you all tip housekeeping for running the vacum cleaner around the center of your rug - making your bed and giving you fresh towels? And they are getting a salary? What are they doing that is above and beyond the minimum that would prompt you to tip them?

Found this guideline: http://www.wdwtrips.com/plan/tipping.shtml

I still think that since I don't leave a mess - and they do very little in my room - that housekeeping services are covered in my room charge. Maybe I'm cheap :confused3

it cost $12.oo for valet parking and this is the tip guide for that Valet Parking $2-5 (arrival and departure) :santa: . There is no way I will tip after paying that much to use valet parking.

I usually leave it on the counter where the sink is. They usually leave a card with their name, thats just a little reminder, it doesn't mention money at all

minnietoo said:

I guess the quick answer is that, as the person who usually has to run the vacuum (around the WHOLE floor at home ;) ), make my bed, pick up the soggy towels and straighten up the bathroom everyday, you better believe I appreciate that person who does it for us at the hotel. I think they more than deserve my $5! :thumbsup2 :teeth: :love:

minnietoo said:
I'm a little confused here - don't these folks get paid a salary? And are they not just doing what is expected from their job?

Perhaps we have phisophical differences but I thought tipping is for service above and beyond the job expectations.

Please let's continue this thread as I am interested to hear what people tip for and how much. Perhaps I am completely in the dark here.

I'm sure that housekeepers are all independently wealthy,and clean other peoples rooms for grins and giggles. :rolleyes: The same for waitresses and bartenders. :rolleyes1 We sometimes ask for a 'few' extra towels and such,it's just our way of saying "Thanks". :thumbsup2

This comes from someone who has never been in a "service" industry profession, but for what it's worth, I cannot even imagine trying to live on the small salaries these people get and in California, it seems downright impossible.

I leave tips to housekeeping because anyone who scrubs toilets for a living deserves it (speaking from experience around my own house).

You know in some states, they can pay less than minimum wage if you are a "tippable" employee? ie. tips will account for some of your hourly wage? I don't know if this is the case in California, but it's worth thinking about.

Anyway, as far as where to leave it, when at Disney we sometimes bring envelopes and write "Mousekeeping" on it and leave it for them. I think we'll do it again this time at the HOJO.

And we usually tip a dollar a bag to bell services and a few dollars for valet.

Shelly

I am a firm believer in tipping!! There are those jobs and professions where it is just "known" that you should tip them!!

Allot of these people work their butts off for a mere $5.00 an hour!! (might be more, but ot much!!) I personally wouldn't want to have to scrub our other peoples toilets, and pick their hair out of the tub!! And lets not even get into what some of the beds can look like!! My best friend worked in a hotel and it is the pitts!!

Same with a waitress!! They work their butts off for minimum wage and most do not even get to keep "their" tips anymore!! They go into a "kitty" where they get split up!! I am sorry, but you tip a waitress/waiter for their service and what they are doing to help you, not the waitress at the next table!!

ok...I will get off my soapbox now!! Bottom line, yes tip them!! and I do like the envelope idea also. It does let them know this $$ is for them!!

hugs, Deb

abby said:
So if I were to tip housekeeping, where do you leave the tip??????

We leave it on the pillow at the head of the bed. Usually just a couple of bucks each day.

I figured tipping housekeeping was the norm, just like waiters at a restuarant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter