Tipping ???????

On tipping for room service . . . check to see if a gratuity is already included. My husband usually deals with it but I happened to sign for one of our meals and asked about the fees. They charged for the food, a $2 delivery charge and then added a 17% gratuity. I even asked about the charges to the man delivering and he said it was a "service charge" and implied that I should tip. I'm sure that it goes unnoticed by many (including my husband, who will no longer be signing for room service.)

I've always made a point of tipping housekeeping, bellboys, etc in America, as, and I've probably been really lucky here, mostly everyone I've met have been really nice, friendly and polite, and we've mostly had very good service, unlike a lot of British hotels, restaurants etc, where service can be very mediocre. Having worked in a hotel for just one week (!!) many years ago (helping out my aunt who was a head housekeeper), I know it's hard work so I like to make sure the maids get some appreciation, and I've had thankyou notes left which I appreciate too! :thumbsup2 :wave2:

I wanted to add my two cents for those who already tip hotel staff. I've worked in hotels at the front desk, the guest services desk and in housekeeping. I've always found the housekeepers, bellmen and doormen to be articulate, intelligent professionals who enjoy doing their work to the best of their abilities. Believe it or not, they like what they do and, in tourist meccas, these jobs are their careers. Regardless of anyone's feelings on tipping, they do depend on our tips, as they are hourly employees (not salaried) with fairly low wages.

Please remember that the price of everything has gone up except for the amount being tipped. Giving $1 per bag or $1 per person per night to the housekeeper has been the standard for a very long time. Consider upping your tip by an extra dollar per night or an extra dollar or two per bag haul. It will be much appreciated.

I realize that tipping is not mandatory, but it is customary for some services rendered. I also realize that it's difficult to budget for a family vacation and adding even more for tipping may seem prohibitive. I post this only as a suggestion, not as a demand or as a judgement.

If you do not currently tip because you do not feel that you should be supplementing a paycheck, please realize that leaving no tip sends a message that service was bad. Your true feelings are better served by making your case to management or only patronizing establishments that pay a living wage.

mom2dzb said:
On tipping for room service . . . check to see if a gratuity is already included. My husband usually deals with it but I happened to sign for one of our meals and asked about the fees. They charged for the food, a $2 delivery charge and then added a 17% gratuity. I even asked about the charges to the man delivering and he said it was a "service charge" and implied that I should tip. I'm sure that it goes unnoticed by many (including my husband, who will no longer be signing for room service.)

Your message is a little confusing - please clarify. I thought the tip was included on the bill for most room service - are yous saying your delivery person suggested you tip again after paying 17% plus a $2 delivery charge?

missmonkey said:
I wanted to add my two cents for those who already tip hotel staff. I've worked in hotels at the front desk, the guest services desk and in housekeeping. I've always found the housekeepers, bellmen and doormen to be articulate, intelligent professionals who enjoy doing their work to the best of their abilities. Believe it or not, they like what they do and, in tourist meccas, these jobs are their careers. Regardless of anyone's feelings on tipping, they do depend on our tips, as they are hourly employees (not salaried) with fairly low wages.

Please remember that the price of everything has gone up except for the amount being tipped. Giving $1 per bag or $1 per person per night to the housekeeper has been the standard for a very long time. Consider upping your tip by an extra dollar per night or an extra dollar or two per bag haul. It will be much appreciated.

I realize that tipping is not mandatory, but it is customary for some services rendered. I also realize that it's difficult to budget for a family vacation and adding even more for tipping may seem prohibitive. I post this only as a suggestion, not as a demand or as a judgement.

If you do not currently tip because you do not feel that you should be supplementing a paycheck, please realize that leaving no tip sends a message that service was bad. Your true feelings are better served by making your case to management or only patronizing establishments that pay a living wage.

So then I hear you saying that the hotel industry appreciates the service staff and thinks highly of their work - but continues to pay them a low wage and expects the customer to make up the difference in tips? That is how I read your post - if your thoughts are different - please clarify.

Not leaving a tip is no message at all. Leaving a complaint is stating that service was bad. Leaving a tip or compliment is stating that service was exceptional.

zonamom said:
But I see towels and fresh bags for the ice bucket as normal things you should be getting anyway. And I would just ask for more regular coffee if there wasn't enough left.

I don't tip housekeeping. I too think that this service is included in my total cost for staying at the hotel. Yes they may work hard but so do many other people who don't get tipped. I think tipping has become too expected in our society. I also feel a lot of people use tipping to make up for low wages. I don't think it's our responsibility as a consumer to make up wages for services we receive. They have a price and we pay it.

ITA (as you could tell from my previous posts). Well said - clear point.

minnietoo said:
Your message is a little confusing - please clarify. I thought the tip was included on the bill for most room service - are yous saying your delivery person suggested you tip again after paying 17% plus a $2 delivery charge?

The man who delivered was a bit confusing. I asked the man who delivered if the gratuity was already included in the bill and he said there was a "service charge." He didn't say "Yes it is already included" or "No, the tip is not included." I interpretted him to mean that the tip was not included. He later handed me the itemized bill. Sure enough, there was a $2 delivery charge and a $4.xx gratuity charge in addition to the charge for the food.

mom2dzb said:

This is actually really sad, and not in every business, but many have started charging the 17% automatically as almost a rent on the tables (or employee delivering room service). I am by no means advocating this and am totally opposed - but in many cases when this happens the 17% actually goes to the business - and not the employee. Again, totally ridiculous, but I would never make the employee suffer.

In terms of just tipping...yes, I am paying a ton for my next trip, a huge amount for the room, (way over my budget), but if I am staying at one of these nice places, of course I am going to tip housekeeping. Just because I am paying over $200 a night does not mean that my housekeeper is seeing a windfall from that - and I will be more then happy to plan the tip amount into my budget. To me it is just the right thing to do - maybe because I have been in the service industry my whole life and I have gotten to know many individuals on a personal level who struggle daily to make ends meet. Not that the rest of the world does not, but hey - if housekeeping is doing a job for me - then yes I will tip. If I leave the sign up saying I don't need service - that would be my way of avoiding paying a tip each night.

mdburd said:
Whether you're paying $12 for valet or $200 (or much more) per night in a hotel room; those charges go to the hotel / company. They in no way reflect the low wages that the service workers are being paid.

It is true that each service you mention is part of the basic hotel charges; however, so, too, is getting the food from the kitchen to your table at a restaurant part of the entree's charges. Do you not leave a tip for your server at the local Denny's after your Grand Slam?

Price point of the overall experience aside--each and every service worker you encounter in life is way underpaid; tipping is a supplement to that low wage for them--some of them counting dearly upon it.

Just my two cents.....

Michael.
I think its a nice jesture to tip :bitelip: I usually tip the guy that brings up my bags about $15.00- I have never counted my bags-but I think its around(fam.of 5)8-9 bags...Woops looks like I owe someone some $$$. Now the housekeeping staff, I tip $5-$8 per day. I always... ask for extra towels, I have long hair :crazy: the food staff gets 25% always...I normally get very good service. My friend sometimes does not tip "anyone"- and I always feel :sad2: embaressed!

minnietoo said:
So then I hear you saying that the hotel industry appreciates the service staff and thinks highly of their work - but continues to pay them a low wage and expects the customer to make up the difference in tips? That is how I read your post - if your thoughts are different - please clarify.

Not leaving a tip is no message at all. Leaving a complaint is stating that service was bad. Leaving a tip or compliment is stating that service was exceptional.

I wish I could say that hotel management really does appreciate their line workers and lets them know in a variety of ways. They don't. Neither do they expect guests to supplement paychecks. What I was saying is that, in spite of this, hotel workers are busting their butts to do good work and build a career in an industry that generally doesn't get a lot of respect.

After having worked in the service industry, I can tell you that leaving no tip tells your service worker that you think service is bad. Leaving a small tip says that service is lacking but doesn't tell in what way. Stiffing an employee who has performed a service for you doesn't translate as you objecting to supplementing a paycheck. When you leave no tip and no reason why to a manager or to an employee, you are not perceived as a principled person. You just look like a jerk. You are not communicating your point effectively. It would be much better to let management know about your objections.

Tipping is not mandatory but it has become customary to tip for certain services. You are not required to tip out of guilt or to supplement a paycheck. If you prefer not to tip, you can opt out of those services. You can eat at a buffet or fast food establishment instead of a sit-down restaurant. You park your car instead of taking it to valet. You can carry your own bags in. You can opt out of daily housekeeping by notifying the housekeeping department. But then why would you ever stay at a higher end hotel? Because you want the convenience of staff member doing certain things for you that are not covered under your room rate, no matter how reasonable a position that seems.

Employees are not in charge of changing the tipping system. Not tipping them changes nothing. Until the tipping system is replaced with something else, then it is reasonable for a good guest at a good property using certain services to tip.

missmonkey said:
I wish I could say that hotel management really does appreciate their line workers and lets them know in a variety of ways. They don't. Neither do they expect guests to supplement paychecks. What I was saying is that, in spite of this, hotel workers are busting their butts to do good work and build a career in an industry that generally doesn't get a lot of respect.

After having worked in the service industry, I can tell you that leaving no tip tells your service worker that you think service is bad. Leaving a small tip says that service is lacking but doesn't tell in what way. Stiffing an employee who has performed a service for you doesn't translate as you objecting to supplementing a paycheck. When you leave no tip and no reason why to a manager or to an employee, you are not perceived as a principled person. You just look like a jerk. You are not communicating your point effectively. It would be much better to let management know about your objections.

Tipping is not mandatory but it has become customary to tip for certain services. You are not required to tip out of guilt or to supplement a paycheck. If you prefer not to tip, you can opt out of those services. You can eat at a buffet or fast food establishment instead of a sit-down restaurant. You park your car instead of taking it to valet. You can carry your own bags in. You can opt out of daily housekeeping by notifying the housekeeping department. But then why would you ever stay at a higher end hotel? Because you want the convenience of staff member doing certain things for you that are not covered under your room rate, no matter how reasonable a position that seems.

Employees are not in charge of changing the tipping system. Not tipping them changes nothing. Until the tipping system is replaced with something else, then it is reasonable for a good guest at a good property using certain services to tip.

What things exactly does housekeeping do that are not part of the room charge?

dizzyami said:
This is actually really sad, and not in every business, but many have started charging the 17% automatically as almost a rent on the tables (or employee delivering room service). I am by no means advocating this and am totally opposed - but in many cases when this happens the 17% actually goes to the business - and not the employee. Again, totally ridiculous, but I would never make the employee suffer.

So then if my food bill was $40 and the 17% gratuity that is already added to the bill - is $6.80 and then there is a $2 delivery fee - then I add $8 for a 20% tip (I don't want to be thought of as being non-principled) - my add ons for this meal are $16.80 or 42% of my meal. And you don't think this is a little outragous?

If the gratuity is added to the bill - that is the tip. If there is a delivery charge - this seems like an additional "tip." Why am I expected to tip so much for the same meal - just because the service employee is low paid and hard working? Again - this so much seems like subsidizing the wages of employees because the for-profit entitity doesn't want to pay a higher wage.

How are "gratuities" added to room service bills different from tips added for large parties in resturants? How are the gratuities not the same as a tip?

When I asked a question about tipping, I never thought it would be such a hot button issue it people.........

abby said:
When I asked a question about tipping, I never thought it would be such a hot button issue it people.........

Abby that is a good thing :) a lively discussion is entertaining, knowledge building, and can be fun. I know I have learned somethings with this one.

I agree with Minnietoo.... I think anyone who's read this post and all the threads would take something away from it..

16 Days to go!!!! :bounce:

As someone who travels a great deal on business I find that the service I receive during my stay can be influenced by how I tip the first night. It gets around the staff pretty quick who tips and who doesn't. By tipping early I can usually expect better than average treatment and the occasional "extra" from the staff out of appreciation. I do the same thing when traveling with my family, since sometimes a little "extra" makes the difference in how smoothly things go.

I enjoy reading the discussion on tipping and taking notes for our stay next year. In Australia, no one really gets tipped (sometimes at fine restuarants but normally not a %). When we catch a cab most people round the fare up and let the driver know "keep the change" or "buy yourself a beer", but it's never officially a tip. Eg, An $8 cab fare you might give the driver $10 and get out, as to a $47 trip you might give the driver $50 and say "keep the change". the guy who brings your bags, not normally a tip, it's his job (but many people will give him a flat $5). Housekeeping, never. Service wages in Australia aren't great, but there is a minimum which is supplemented with overtime, weekend and shift penality rates.

So for my hotel trip next year, some may think this generous, but we'll add this to our budget...

Guy who brings bags to room... $5 (there will be 3 of us)
Housekeeping... $5 per night
Dinner/food 15-20% and I know to look for the detail on the bill to ensure there is no tip previously added.
Cab driver 15-20%
Shuttle driver from LAX to Anaheim... I'm guessing about $20 in total

So at this stage I'm guessing about $125 food in total for the three of us (2A and 5 year old); my budget maybe should be $150/day including tips

Cheers

Kylie.

It never even crossed my mind to tip housekeeping. We are a family of 6, 4 DDs princess: princess: princess: princess: . Im feeling like a smuck! So you people are saying this is a common practice? Where are you from? Or am I just that nieve? We are a big family and I try to keep the room clean but with 4 young ones its hard not to have crackers smushed into the carpet :sad2: . Thanks for the insite but some part of me wishes I never read this since now I feel oblagated to tip.

Mom4princesses
princess: 9 princess: 7 princess: 6 princess: 6months

We always tip everyone who helps us in some way.

The Dollar Bus Driver at the airport gets $5 (I'm always surprised at how many people just get off the bus - maybe we're being extra with tipping them(?) but it just surprises me - I know they get paid, but still...) the bellhop(s) will get around $4 (we never had to tip the bellhops this past summer - mainly because the Hilton Garden Inn doesn't have bellhops and you have to drag your stuff through the parking lot and lobby yourself) and the maids get left around $30 (each room) at the end of the 3 week stay. We've always tipped the maids.

And then in restaurants they get what they're given. We're generous folks but your tip will go down majorly depending on the service you provide. We always seem to encounter the sweetest servers though so they all get a very good tip!!

We always give the servers at dinner shows more too. We had a guy at Pirates in the summer and he wasn't carrying that much so he got a normal tip but the girls at Medieval Times who lug those trays around with the metal plates in them deserve a lot more. They get around £10 - again, depending on the service they've provided too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter