Tips for teens traveling w/school?

Shughart

DIS Veteran
My daughter is going over spring break with her music dept. We've done Dis twice (last trip was 12/19 so pre-C). She's got current books a friend let me have for planning our 12/22 trip. She's 15. We're practicing carrying cash/cards, etc and using them in a retail setting, paying attention to how much your items are, and roughly how much your total should be to make sure you've been run up accurately, how much you should spend on food, etc (esp at Disney, and she knows you can easily make a snack a meal, or share a Disney meal with another person). But obviously she won't have a lot of planning help in the parks/on her own and she'll be one of the more knowledgeable of her group (none of her friends have been). I know the app will help with an estimate of wait times, and she can carry a paper map as well. Does anyone have any advice? I know plenty of you have sent kids alone for these situations, or been a parent chaperone and may have tips (although whether they are useful now, who knows!) Or if there is a specific part of the boards that I should be looking at I would appreciate that too! If I wasn't going to be 11 weeks post mastopexy/brachioplasty I would be going down there as well (not as a chap PLZ, I would go on my own and meet her down there :tongue: ).

When mine went with their high school band, the package price (band had a travel agent) included their transportation, hotel stay, some meals and park admissions. They were responsible for one meal and snacks throughout the parks. We sent them with a $50 gift card per day (you may wish to send more), in addition they carried an "emergency" $20 in cash each day. (As a mom I separated everything in a daily envelope - LOL - teenagers!) Sometimes Disney has tech issues and she won't be able to access funds on a card. The $20 allowed for a drink or snack. Also I gave her a small " wallet" size cross body - with specific instructions that she shouldn't take it off, even in the restrooms. It held her money and phone - never sitting it down while looking at souvenirs. I also sent her with quite a few snacks to share in her room and for the bus ride down. This part probably is just the "worrier" part of me, but I safety pinned an additional $100 cash in her suitcase. She knew where it was, but no one else could see it.

Also, while they were in smaller groups, the chaperones had them be in contact every couple of hours. It really isa wonderful experience.

I would make sure she has an external phone charger and show her how to use mobile ordering for food. Being a worrier, I would probably get her a state ID and make her carry that and a copy of her insurance card with her, along with an emergency $20 tucked in her wallet. Also, stress the importance of sunscreen. If she is into makeup, maybe get her some products that have additional mineral based spf.

School trips tend to be about socializing and freedom rather than theme park strategy.

I'm a music teacher (and major Disney fan too!) who has done many trips with students. I totally agree that sunscreen is a major one most kids forget, but another one is either a raincoat that packs small or an umbrella. When you're on a school trip, if it starts to rain, they won't pack up the kids to go back to the hotel until it stops. Also, if she is going to buy things, she may want to consider a backpack instead of a purse. I always see kids begging their friends with backpacks to carry the stuff they got.

She'll actually have gift cards/her debit card/an emergency credit card that she's an auth signer on bc I'm not comfortable with her carrying a large amount of cash on her and they are responsible for all their meals except for breakfast (free at the hotel) and their last dinner at Universal right before they leave to come home. She does have a small crossbody purse that holds her phone/ID/cards/etc that we just got and she is practicing carrying with her and not taking off (and hence we are practicing buying/paying attention to items and how much they cost and swiping cards). She'll have her spending money in her own account hence her own debit card and she'll have to keep account of that/we'll be in contact as to making sure she's not over spending). Having our CC will be for emergencies only, and she knows that anything she spends on it she will have to pay back (this is if she was to lose a GC/her debit card or she runs out of money and it's the last day and needs lunch, IE not so she can buy extra stuff).

External phone charger is good, I have a good slim one, I'll send her with that. We're poncho people, so she'll be sent with a couple cheapie ponchos and instructed to pack one each day. Sunscreen is a good one, I don't think of that in March but of course it's Florida, duh. This is why I posted! I was trying to keep her to just her small crossbody purse so I'm worried an additional bag would get lost/take up room on rides, where the small crossbody slides under her thigh on rides. State ID might not be a bad idea. As well as sending some snacks. Please keep them coming if anyone else goes on these trips or has sent kids, I love the tips!

When I went with my high school band (2007) things were different (hello room keys and separate cards with a determined amount for food), but airfare, hotel, dining, tickets were all part of a package. Granted we had to fundraiser to help fund the trip but all that was included in one set price

As for tips: SUNSCREEN, spending money, always know how the group is getting point a to point b.

The only snafu on our trip was there was some huge mix up and a traveling hs baseball tournament group of teams wound up at ASMu and we the band ended up at ***…..so most of the parents of both activities were not at the hotel their kids were at. It was chaos.

a couple of families for both were at other hotels (a lot of families with similar aged siblings shared rooms/suites/villas) so they had no idea of the chaos until they would call a kid.
Thankfully, because they are all close to each other it all worked out. But it was still chaos.

Last edited:
I used to be your daughter way back when (before the need for a smart phone). As others have said, external phone charger and SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN. (And maybe aloe just in case.) I was (and am) a religious sunscreen user. On one of these trips, most of my cohort skipped the sunscreen. Quite a few ended up with sun poisoning.

All good ideas in your OP - when my kids did Disney (Hershey Park etc.) I tried to just think of it as a school field trip rather than a "Disney" trip. How many attractions and which headliners they do is much less important than the activity they are there for, second to that is having fun with friends and just being in the parks.

Hotel safety, respecting the rules of the chaperones/parks and knowing the schedule are also important. The only other thing I can think of is advise her to hydrate much more than usual! Send her with a refillable water bottler and/or give her the ok to buy as much water as she needs.

DH is a HS band teacher & they've taken the music dept down to Disney several times over the last 25 years. His #1 top tip for the kids: Keep drinking water! #2 tip: Sunscreen! Every trip he winds up at First Aid w/ dehydrated or sunburned kids (as well as those who overload on sugar & junk food). Tips #3 & 4: Pay attention to your surroundings & belongings at all times & be NICE to the CM's!

I hope she has a great time-it really is a special experience!

We're practicing carrying cash/cards, etc and using them in a retail setting, paying attention to how much your items are, and roughly how much your total should be to make sure you've been run up accurately, how much you should spend on food, etc (esp at Disney, and she knows you can easily make a snack a meal, or share a Disney meal with another person).
Show her that she can see Disney menus on All Ears Network beforehand. Suggest that she and her friends choose a lunch restaurant (and a backup in case it's closed or super busy) in the hotel room the night before. Point out that this'll save lots of "Well, what do you want?" in the parks.

Be sure, too, she understands how to order a meal through the app.

Maybe have her friends over for a planning sleepover /go over such things with all the girls?
We sent them with a $50 gift card per day (you may wish to send more), in addition they carried an "emergency" $20 in cash each day. (As a mom I separated everything in a daily envelope - LOL - teenagers!)
A big gift card and a small bit of cash makes sense. And, yes, give her a don't-touch-this-unless-it's-an-emergency $20. Since she's with a youth group, she's not going to be "without" something she really needs, but that $20 could be a meal or whatever.

I've been on lots of youth-group trips, and I've always been disappointed that for some of the kids, spending /buying IS the trip. That is, that some kids wanted to spend more time in gift shops than the experience of the trip. I'm thinking of one kid on a church youth group trip who spent ALL her money at the first gas station, and then she was so upset later. But screwing up is how kids learn.
I also sent her with quite a few snacks to share in her room and for the bus ride down.
Yes, send plenty of snacks. If they come back, no problem.
I would make sure she has an external phone charger and show her how to use mobile ordering for food. Being a worrier, I would probably get her a state ID and make her carry that and a copy of her insurance card with her, along with an emergency $20 tucked in her wallet. Also, stress the importance of sunscreen. If she is into makeup, maybe get her some products that have additional mineral based spf.
Yes to the phone charger. I'm not tied to my phone in the parks, but I'm also not trying to stay in contact with a large group /don't need to check in with chaperones!

I don't see the point of the state ID.

I'd send Tylenol, etc.
School trips tend to be about socializing and freedom rather than theme park strategy.
Yes, when we go with our families we're trying to hit the rides, etc. A youth group tends to just enjoy the freedom of NOT being with their families. If she only rides a few things, the trip won't be a failure.
His #1 top tip for the kids: Keep drinking water! #2 tip: Sunscreen!
Yes, be sure she knows she can ask (or order on the app) free ice water at any fast food restaurant in the parks. Be sure she knows to drink before she's thirsty.
Oh, yes to the sunscreen -- and some aloe vera for the room.

External phone charger for sure, and have her play around with the app to see how to mobile order food. Have her to get her friends to download it too. They really push the mobile order and it can save them from standing in super long food lines, and it is a little less pressure to look at prices and budget on your phone than once you get up to a cash register.
Make sure her bag is big enough for the phone, wallet and her rain gear.
She could find this out while she is there, but let her know there are first aid centers at each park if she finds she needs Tylenol or bandaids, etc.

When mine went with their high school band, the package price (band had a travel agent) included their transportation, hotel stay, some meals and park admissions. They were responsible for one meal and snacks throughout the parks. We sent them with a $50 gift card per day (you may wish to send more), in addition they carried an "emergency" $20 in cash each day. (As a mom I separated everything in a daily envelope - LOL - teenagers!) Sometimes Disney has tech issues and she won't be able to access funds on a card. The $20 allowed for a drink or snack. Also I gave her a small " wallet" size cross body - with specific instructions that she shouldn't take it off, even in the restrooms. It held her money and phone - never sitting it down while looking at souvenirs. I also sent her with quite a few snacks to share in her room and for the bus ride down. This part probably is just the "worrier" part of me, but I safety pinned an additional $100 cash in her suitcase. She knew where it was, but no one else could see it.

Also, while they were in smaller groups, the chaperones had them be in contact every couple of hours. It really isa wonderful experience.
I LOVE how you roll!! What a great parent!! 👏🏻👍🏻

She'll actually have gift cards/her debit card/an emergency credit card that she's an auth signer on bc I'm not comfortable with her carrying a large amount of cash on her and they are responsible for all their meals except for breakfast (free at the hotel) and their last dinner at Universal right before they leave to come home. She does have a small crossbody purse that holds her phone/ID/cards/etc that we just got and she is practicing carrying with her and not taking off (and hence we are practicing buying/paying attention to items and how much they cost and swiping cards). She'll have her spending money in her own account hence her own debit card and she'll have to keep account of that/we'll be in contact as to making sure she's not over spending). Having our CC will be for emergencies only, and she knows that anything she spends on it she will have to pay back (this is if she was to lose a GC/her debit card or she runs out of money and it's the last day and needs lunch, IE not so she can buy extra stuff).

External phone charger is good, I have a good slim one, I'll send her with that. We're poncho people, so she'll be sent with a couple cheapie ponchos and instructed to pack one each day. Sunscreen is a good one, I don't think of that in March but of course it's Florida, duh. This is why I posted! I was trying to keep her to just her small crossbody purse so I'm worried an additional bag would get lost/take up room on rides, where the small crossbody slides under her thigh on rides. State ID might not be a bad idea. As well as sending some snacks. Please keep them coming if anyone else goes on these trips or has sent kids, I love the tips!
My number one tip for sunscreen is to liberally apply waterproof sunscreen while getting dressed. It needs to be applied well before you are out in the sun. If your daughter applies it from a big bottle, many you could send her with a small travel size tube that will fit in her new crossbody. Sometimes they sell those small tubes in the travel section of Target and similar stores. I’ve even seen tiny tubes at our dermatologist’s office or sample size packets. The key is to put it on in the room before she heads out. 👍🏻

Our daughter had been to Disney World a few times with us before going with her high school band. A couple things I would mention. You don't have much control over your time on a school trip. Yes, you will have chunks of free time, but it will probably be in the middle of the day or in the evening. Be flexible about what rides you will be able to do; you probably won't be able to rope-drop. If you are used to traveling with your family that plans the trip will be different. I agree that it will be more about hanging out with friends than efficient touring, however it's probably good to talk to the friends before the trip about what you would all like to do. My daughter told her friends she mostly wanted to ride rides and was planning to do them in a certain order to minimize wait times. Her friends wanted to do that with her. A group shopping trip or standing around asking each other what they wanted to do all day would not have been fun for her. My kids didn't mind waiting in lines, because they are talking to their friends the whole time anyway. Time will be short, so focus on the must-do's of the group.

At quick service restaurants the portions are pretty big. When you mobile order you can get a kid's meal if you aren't that hungry.

Wear shoes that are good for lots of standing a walking. Think cushioning and support over fashion. Bring band-aids for when you ignore this advice.

I second the advice to put sunscreen on while you are getting dressed, drink lots of water, and eat regularly. You don't want sunburn, dehydration, or low blood-sugar giving you a headache or making you miserable.

My daughter had a very fun trip and I'm sure your child will to with a little preparation and managed expectations.

Food and snack prices have gone up significantly. A Mickey Bar is up to $6 or $6.50. Kids cs meals are up in the neighborhood of $7 to $10. And adult cs meals are up around $15 to $20.

Will she have an MDE account to access for mobile ordering?

Food and snack prices have gone up significantly. A Mickey Bar is up to $6 or $6.50. Kids cs meals are up in the neighborhood of $7 to $10. And adult cs meals are up around $15 to $20.

Will she have an MDE account to access for mobile ordering?

She does not have her own account, but I can make her one, good idea!

A big gift card and a small bit of cash makes sense. And, yes, give her a don't-touch-this-unless-it's-an-emergency $20. Since she's with a youth group, she's not going to be "without" something she really needs, but that $20 could be a meal or whatever.

I've been on lots of youth-group trips, and I've always been disappointed that for some of the kids, spending /buying IS the trip. That is, that some kids wanted to spend more time in gift shops than the experience of the trip. I'm thinking of one kid on a church youth group trip who spent ALL her money at the first gas station, and then she was so upset later. But screwing up is how kids learn.

I'm sure she'll have some friends that want to hit gift shops, but I'll encourage her if possible to keep it as short as possible. SHE will not want to spend her time in stores, she has already said she only wants a new pin or two. It helps she gets to go back again in December with us.

Our daughter had been to Disney World a few times with us before going with her high school band. A couple things I would mention. You don't have much control over your time on a school trip. Yes, you will have chunks of free time, but it will probably be in the middle of the day or in the evening. Be flexible about what rides you will be able to do; you probably won't be able to rope-drop. If you are used to traveling with your family that plans the trip will be different. I agree that it will be more about hanging out with friends than efficient touring, however it's probably good to talk to the friends before the trip about what you would all like to do. My daughter told her friends she mostly wanted to ride rides and was planning to do them in a certain order to minimize wait times. Her friends wanted to do that with her. A group shopping trip or standing around asking each other what they wanted to do all day would not have been fun for her. My kids didn't mind waiting in lines, because they are talking to their friends the whole time anyway. Time will be short, so focus on the must-do's of the group.

At quick service restaurants the portions are pretty big. When you mobile order you can get a kid's meal if you aren't that hungry.

Good one on the kid's meal! I did this on our last trip bc I was losing weight and will try it again but this will be a good idea for her, so she can also fit a snack better into her budget. Also as far as rides her only MUST DO is TOT.

What about getting her a magic band that has her debit card attached to it? That way she doesn't have to pull it out to pay, just tap? My understanding is gift cards don't work with it but debit/cc do.

Mobile ordering will also prevent her from having to pull out her card because she'll pay through the app. My last 2 trips to the parks I was paying cash or I would have done that.

I also agree with a small bag to carry things. She can bring in water, snacks, etc. We just went a few weeks ago and I carried a backpack. I didn't have any issues with it on any of the rides. Fit right in the seat with me. Either on my lap or there was a spot in front of me for it.

What about getting her a magic band that has her debit card attached to it? That way she doesn't have to pull it out to pay, just tap? My understanding is gift cards don't work with it but debit/cc do.

Mobile ordering will also prevent her from having to pull out her card because she'll pay through the app. My last 2 trips to the parks I was paying cash or I would have done that.

I also agree with a small bag to carry things. She can bring in water, snacks, etc. We just went a few weeks ago and I carried a backpack. I didn't have any issues with it on any of the rides. Fit right in the seat with me. Either on my lap or there was a spot in front of me for it.

This only works is the group is staying on site and actually paying for the room at that time which is unlikely with a large group. You don't put a payment on a MB its essentially a room charge and goes on whatever card you designate when you check in.

You can put a debit / credit or gift card on her MDE for mobile order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter