To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

So a 1:23 HM is a 18:03 5k (5:48 min/mile). Haven't broken a 6 min/mile yet, but what better place to do it than 3 consecutive times in a 5k race!

You don't have to break 6 for all three miles ... do 6:01 for the first two and then speed up to like 5:30ish for the last 1.1 and you should be fine :)
(I said I was being optimistic. I didn't say that that optimism was based in any sort of reality.)

You don't have to break 6 for all three miles ... do 6:01 for the first two and then speed up to like 5:30ish for the last 1.1 and you should be fine :)
(I said I was being optimistic. I didn't say that that optimism was based in any sort of reality.)

::yes::

Gigi had her episode shoot with Joe Pera and killed it. Can't give any details about what happened in the episodes, but she'll be in episode 1 and 8 airing in Spring 2020. Pera filmed himself on his phone talking with G, and then the producer gave G a special role in episode 1. The "on set teacher" said she's been doing this for a very long time and has been all over the world. Sometimes you meet people who are beautiful. Some have a great personality. Even fewer have both. But there's those rare people who possess those qualities and "it". She said G is one of those "it" people. Everything she does is so genuine and on point. She said we really need to be seeking roles in NYC and Hollywood because she has a chance to be special on screen if that's something she wants to pursue in life. So that's the second long time professional in the field telling us that G is super special on screen/camera (the other being the Scout horse photoshoot).

That's awesome! I'll try to watch - then I can brag I know a star on the show! Not sure how far you guys want to pursue it, but from what I've heard, usually one parent stays in NY/CA for all the auditions, call backs and pilot season, while the other parent goes back to work. Then there's acting classes, vocal lessons, etc ... but she seems to be doing great without all that!

That's awesome! I'll try to watch - then I can brag I know a star on the show!

:flower1:

Not sure how far you guys want to pursue it, but from what I've heard, usually one parent stays in NY/CA for all the auditions, call backs and pilot season, while the other parent goes back to work. Then there's acting classes, vocal lessons, etc ... but she seems to be doing great without all that!

And that's the question, do we want to really take it that far? And can we afford to do so? It's tough and something to think about long term.

28 Days to Go! (I'm so tired) + Olympic Distance Triathlon - Mid-Vol - Week 5 + 80 Day Obsession - Week 8 (End of Phase 2)

5/13/19 - M - Koip (150 min; 106 TSS)80DO-D45-Booty
5/14/19 - T - [O/U - 4 x (1 mile T + 2 min CV + 0.5 mile T)] (Run)
5/15/19 - W - 80DO-D46-Cardio Core + Mist+3 (90 min; 122 TSS)
5/16/19 - R - 80DO-D47-Total Body Core + 60 min Run @ Easy
5/17/19 - F - 80DO-D48-Legs + Phoenix (90 min; 95 TSS)
5/18/19 - Sa - [2 LR + 6 mile HM Tempo + 1 mile Daniels T] (Run) + 80DO-D49-AAA
5/19/19 - Su - 60 min Run @ Easy + Byers Peak (67 min; 74 TSS)

Total Run Miles - 39.2 miles
Total Run Time - 5:24 hours
Total Run TSS - 353 TSS

Total Biking Time - 6:37 hours
Total Biking TSS - 397 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 4:31 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 68 TSS

Total Training Time - 16:33 hours (PR)
Total TSS - 818 TSS (PR)

Monday

Had the day off work because of a wedding. Originally G and I were going to go to the ceremony, but it was debatable whether G was welcome based on the "no kids" policy. So her and I just stayed back.

Booty! 2x15 going through all three sets on a single series before moving to the next series
Series 1 (Standing) - Squat to Hinge, Curtsy Lunge Lift, Rotating Back Side Lunge
Series 2 (Quad Ped) - Heel Press Up on Angle, Single-Leg Hamstring Curl, Bear Fire Hydrant
Series 3 (Weighted) - KB Swings, Sumo Hinge, Reverse Lunge
Series 4 (Floor Weighted) - Single-Leg Bridge, Press Up and Over, Camels

Cycling: Koip consists of nearly 2.5 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP and includes form drills like form sprints, endurance spinning, and single-leg focus (SLF) drills. Longest ride and furthest distance per the Kickr Core to date at 36.4 miles. I chose something that was long, but relatively easy.

Tuesday

Run: My first attempt at this new training run, Over and Unders. It comes from a cycling workout I've done from TrainerRoad, and I'm trying to translate into a running workout. The cycling version was extremely difficult. So I thought, why not bring it over to the running world!

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 7mph to 8mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 69°F + 38°F; FL - 69°F
End: Temp+Dew = 67°F + 40°F; FL - 69°F

2 mi @ WU + 4 sets of (1 mile T + 2 min CV + 0.5 mile T w/ 3 min RI) + 1 mi @ CD

OOF! That was as tough, if not tougher, than the cycling version!

Set # - 1 mile T, 2 min CV pace, 0.5 mile T
Set 1 - 6:49, 6:31, 6:54
Set 2 - 7:02, 6:36, 6:48
Set 3 - 7:02, 6:51, 6:56
Set 4 - 7:08, 6:49, 6:56

Turned out my normal route was being shared by the GOTR 5k. So we cheered each other on during the run. Trying to pick up the pace during mid-T was no joke. It was doable, but really tough.

Wednesday

Time for some Cardio Core! It was different than Phase 1. The focus was less jumping jacks and a whole lot of other cardio movements.

Cycling: Mist +3 is 3 sets of 3x3.5-minute VO2max repeats that start at 118% FTP and drop to 115% and then 112% over the course of the 3 sets. 3.5-minute recoveries fall between intervals and 6-minute recovery valleys separate the sets. No rest for the weary. This is nearly an exact translation to an I paced run. So the first set was slightly faster than I pace, than at I pace, and then slightly slower than I pace. With all along holding it for 10.5 minutes per set (31.5 min total). A fairly high level VO2max workout. So after the O/U the day prior and 2.5 hour ride the day prior to that, I was a little concerned if I had anything left. But I really attacked this ride and tried to keep my cadence high (mid-90s). No adjustments and felt like the ride was super successful.

Thursday

TBC at 2x15 going through all three sets on a single series before moving to the next series
Series 1 (Shoulder) - Squat/Row/Twist/Row, Kneeling Lunge Clean & Press, Quad Ped Opposite Arm Knee Crunch
Series 2 (Chest) - Chest Press to Half Turkish Get-up, Spider Man Push-ups, Frog Sliders
Series 3 (Back) - "T" to Single-Leg Hip Hinge, Lat Pull Over w/ Leg Raise, Weighted Plank Hip Drop
Series 4 (Biceps) - Low Twisting Lunge Hammer Curl, Press Out to Curl, Weighted Standing Torso Rotation
Series 5 (Triceps) - Crab Position Tricep Dip to Sit Through, Alternating Skull Crusher with Bicycle Legs, French Twist

Run: An easy day, but the temp swung way up based on the last few weeks. T+D was 139

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 64°F; FL - 76°F
End: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 64°F; FL - 76°F

This was the only "easy" day of the week. So I took it super easy. It ended up being 6.8 miles in 61 min at 9:00 min/mile pace with HR of 135. The HR was relatively high for the effort. But given the swing in temp and having nearly 6 consecutive hard days prior, I kind of expected this. The effort though was truly easy.

Friday

Legs at 2x15 going through all three sets on a single series before moving to the next series
Series 1 - Reverse Lunges, Reverse Slider Lunges
Series 2 - Weighted Goblet Squat, Modified Pistol on Sliders
Series 3 - Single-arm Weighted Curtsy, Curtsy Sliders
Series 4 - Sumo Squat, Sumo Heel on Sliders
Series 5 - Weighted Warrior 3, Hamstring Curls on Sliders

Cycling: Phoenix is 90 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 75 minutes between 80-85% FTP. The %FTP is similar to an Ironman distance bike leg. So 75 total min at "ironman" bike pace. Felt like I handled this better than two weeks ago Gibralter which was more like 90 min at "half ironman" bike pace.

Saturday

Steph had to work. So I had to be home by 7:30am. So I was up at 4:30am to get the ball rolling. Originally this was suppose to be on Sunday, but the weather forecast said thunderstorms for Sunday. And since Steph worked on Sunday as well, I didn't have much flexibility for avoiding the lightning on Sunday. So I moved the run workout to Saturday.

Run:

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 46°F + 42°F; FL - 43°F
End: Temp+Dew = 49°F + 45°F; FL - 43°F

Nice weather.

4 mile WU + 2 mile LR + 6 miles @ HM Tempo + 1 mile @ Daniels T + 1 mile CD

I was pretty tired coming into this run. A lack of sleep due to the wedding, graduation, and Steph's work schedule. So I was running on fumes coming into the workout. The dynamic WU prior was ok, but I knew I probably didn't have my best stuff. But I was going to dig deep and let this resemble a race day mindset.

4 mile WU - 8:26, 8:18, 8:09, 8:18 (GAP: 8:39, 8:09, 7:54, 8:06)
2 mile LR - 7:44, 7:47 (GAP: 7:55, 7:41)
6 mile HM Tempo - 7:11, 7:15, 6:55, 7:09, 7:16, 7:23 (GAP: 6:54, 7:10, 7:04, 7:03, 6:59, 7:19)
1 mile T - 6:47 (GAP: 6:55)
2 mile CD - 9:00, 9:24 (GAP: 8:50, 9:01)

A total of 15 miles in 1:58 at 7:50 pace.

My right glute was super tight at the start of the run. Felt like it wouldn't release. It did finally after about 0.5 miles. Originally it was suppose to be a 6 mile WU, but as the run progressed the WU creeped up into LR territory. The HM Tempo felt good, but at about mile 3 I started to really feel the effects of all the training. That's when that race mindset kicked in. Not giving in. Not taking a short break. Not pausing the watch for my water breaks. Keep pressing. It did work as I started to feel that second wind as the run progressed. Other than that 7:23/7:19 (which was the water stop), I'd say everything was right on track. Then came the Daniels T which this time around ended up being a 0.25 mile downhill and then a flat stretch to end it. Felt like a strong run. HR wise it was good too. Still a little depressed HR data because of the cold. As the HRs were:

4 mile WU - 136 ish (sounds about right)
2 mile LR - 140 ish (on target)
6 mile HM Tempo - 151, 151, 147. 146. 146, 146 (not even marathon tempo HR, and falling again as the run progressed, interesting...)
1 mile T - 148 (low end marathon tempo HR)
2 mile CD - 130 ish (sounds about right)

So aerobically (HR wise), I'm in a great place. But muscular endurance isn't there yet. But I'm not surprised given the training load.

An interesting antecdote is that my Garmin VO2max is 56 right now. At my peak when I ran my 39:54 10k, the Daniels formula would state it was 52.1. I've found historically my actual VO2max is usually about 6.5 less than the Garmin VO2max based on Daniels formula. So about 49.5 at the moment. Matches up well with what I've been seeing in training lately. We'll know better after the 5k/HM races.

Here's the interesting thing. These VO2max numbers take into account your body weight. When I ran that 39:54 I weighed 157 pounds. Today, I weigh 171 pounds.

Absolute VO2max (liters) = (Weight in kg x VDOT) / 1000

The 52.1 at 157 pounds is an absolute VO2max of 3.7 liters/min. The 49.5 at 171 pounds is an absolute VO2max of 3.8 liters/min. So I'm in nearly peak aerobic shape right now, if not a little better than the 2018 Dopey version of myself. So the training is working as desired. I'm not as fast, but I'm possibly more aerobically fit. Just have to keep on this train of intermixing the training to see if I can continue to push the envelope.

Came inside after the workout and got started right away with the 80DO AAA. I was tired, but I was going to make it through this one.

AAA at 3x10 going through all three sets on a single series before moving to the next series
Series 1 - Bilateral Press, Alt Unilateral Press, Lateral Raise, Y, Lat Side Bend, Standing Weight Knee Drive, Loop Standing Donkey, Forearm Plank Jumping Jacks
Series 2 - Chest Press, Fly, Kickback in Plank, Tricep Pushup, Corkscrew, Teaser, 1st Pos. Bridge, Single Leg Bridge w/ Loop
Series 3 - Pullovers, Renegade Row, Curls, Turned Out Curls, Loop Scissor Twist, V Leg Raise, Narrow Bridge Clam, Straight Leg Curls

Sunday

Steph worked again, but not until 10:45am. So I was able to catch up on some sleep. Ended up at over 10 hours, with what I believe to be a new deep sleep PR at over 6 hours! I was tired.

Run: An easy run!

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 5mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 57°F + 55°F; FL - 57°F
End: Temp+Dew = 60°F + 58°F; FL - 57°F

Starting to trend warmer. Ended up being 6.8 miles in 59 min at 8:43 pace with HR of 132. Exactly what I was looking for.

Cycling: Byers Peak is 5x12-minute intervals between 95-99% FTP with 6-minute recoveries between each. I ended the workout early at 67 min and 2 intervals down. I was mostly fine physically, but the day was drifting away on me. Since the days were switched, I didn't know if continuing to grind on tired running legs was a great idea.

Decided to skip Cardio Flow. Even with the truncated bike workout and skipping the 80DO workout, it still ended up being a PR for duration (16:33 hours) and TSS (818). Now it's time to pull back on the training enough to become fresh for the 5k on Saturday. Then absolutely bust it out for a week to throw the training load way up in advance of the taper for the HM. So a really polarized last 28 days!

It was also the end of Phase 2 of 80DO, which means measurement day.

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 1.35.58 PM.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter