Totally Objective and Scientific Poll: Which is better - monorail or skyliner?

Which is better?

• Monorail

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • Skyline

Votes: 99 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Monorail all the way. Skyliner is fine but Busch Gardens has a smaller version. Monorail has that perfect nostalgia that even the kids love. There's a reason my sons make me buy monorail toys, it's iconic. The skyliner is a cool ride to them but the monorail is the "Monorail!".

It goes THROUGH contemporary!

Monorail all the way. Skyliner is fine but Busch Gardens has a smaller version. Monorail has that perfect nostalgia that even the kids love. There's a reason my sons make me buy monorail toys, it's iconic. The skyliner is a cool ride to them but the monorail is the "Monorail!".

It goes THROUGH contemporary!
BGW skyliner….I can’t remember the last time I rode that. Might have to do it again on the next trip

Both have their issues with stoppages, one trip a few years ago, the monorail was constantly stopping for one reason or another to the point where we just stopped using it and drove whenever we could. Skyliner also has issues but at least you can kind of predict them based on the weather forecast.

Was pleasantly surprised this week when riding the Skyliner during one of the 90+ degree days and it was pleasantly cool. Also love that there's usually just one party to a car. So much better than the rush hour subway feel and smell of the monorail, as many have noted. The transfer on the Skyliner is also much quicker and easier.

So I lean Skyliner but do like the classic monorail too.

Monorail 1000000%. I don't like heights and dangling from something high is even worse. I'm not completely comfortable on the monorail but it's doable. Rode the skyline once and it was more than enough. We own at BLT so MK is walkable and we own at BWV so we walk to Epcot and HS. Monorail WINS! Lol

Hey folks, remember that this is a scientific poll. Some guidelines to consider...

Try to avoid emotional and subjective thoughts when you pick such as:
  • I like the skyliner better than the monorail – You are free to think that, but there is no empirical data to back up this statement.
Instead try to stick to factual, verifiable evidence when you make a selection. For example:
  • The monorail connects all the best resorts to the best theme park (MK)
  • Everyone loves the monorail
  • The monorail is classic WDW transportation. It’s just the best, period.
I might need to change my vote to bus. When one bus breaks down, at least it doesn't stop all the other buses from getting where they need to go...

Instead try to stick to factual, verifiable evidence when you make a selection. For example:
  • The monorail connects all the best resorts to the best theme park (MK)
  • Everyone loves the monorail
  • The monorail is classic WDW transportation. It’s just the best, period.
These and so much more.
  • The monorail is home to several species of mold and fungus found nowhere else in the continental United States. Nature!
  • The monorail lets you get to know special details about your fellow guests, like how they smell after 11 hours in 100 degree weather, or what pattern of butt sweat they leave on vinyl seats.
  • The agility, flexibility, and affordability of the monorail has allowed Disney to expand its use exactly one times in the history of the resort.

These and so much more.
  • The monorail is home to several species of mold and fungus found nowhere else in the continental United States. Nature!
  • The monorail lets you get to know special details about your fellow guests, like how they smell after 11 hours in 100 degree weather, or what pattern of butt sweat they leave on vinyl seats.
  • The agility, flexibility, and affordability of the monorail has allowed Disney to expand its use exactly one times in the history of the resort.
Your last point made me remember that there actually is a monorail at Tokyo Disneyland but you actually have to pay to use it (I believe it was around 5-6 USD? You could also buy a multi day passes). Not only were they extremely clean but they didn't have the moldy barn smell that the WDW ones have.

It is a toss up, Depends if your youngling likes to rock the skyliner Ugghh. I personally prefer it if I'm not having to tell them to stop it so Monorail seems to work better in that case but love the Skyliner personally as it connects to Galaxies Edge at HS.

I dont trust the skyliner as a faraday cage so monorail it is.
Do you advise tin foil hats and lead lined bags for cell phone protection on the skyliner?

The monorail is as Disney as apple pie.

I hope the moderators give timeouts to anyone thar said skyliner.

Last edited:
I voted Skyliner because I find the transfer at TTC annoying and I also don’t like the crowds. Plus I prefer International Gateway to the front entrance of Epcot. But l’m personally more likely to use the monorail out of necessity.
Skyliner for exactly this reason ...

I like both. But I think the monorail gets the nod for being more "futuristic." But I do love a nice gondola ride.

I am a huge fan of the monorail but, I'm actually voting in favor of the skyliner. It is a relaxing way to travel with a nice breeze. The only hot area is when making the turn at Riviera.

Skyliner and it's not even close. Every time I have been on the monorail it's been frustrating for one reason or another, two people sitting right in the center of the seat area so larger groups can't sit, or smells, or especially during the pandemic the chin diaper mask wearers that also have a hopefully benign cough. Strollers that people don't prep even though they get warnings we are coming into a station and hold up people from getting on or off because they just start getting things packed in when the doors open.

I don't see the monorail as iconic or special, but even if I did the skyliner would still be a better method of travel in my view. They even have special loading and unloading for wheelchairs and strollers to get around the main issue with the monorail.

The only thing about the skyliner I am not thrilled with is the possibility of it stopping and having to hang in the sun for an hour or more. But I can only give it a slightly worse score than the monorail on that front because it's not like you can always just hop off the monorail either if it stopped half way along the route. But the skyliner is at least a little more sketchy on that front.

In the end I am glad we have variety, and will likely use both. But in our trip in February we traveled by bus, skyliner, monorail, and Lyft. My ordered list of best to worst would be Skyliner > Lyft > Monorail > Bus. Bus would beat monorail if it wasn't full up, but almost every trip we had was nearly full occupancy. The monorail was surprisingly empty but we were also using it around mid-day when I think most people were already at the parks.

Having now ridden both: Skyliner 100%

Both do have moments that make me love them and both have moments that make me scared of them (remember when that monorail wheel fell off a few years back? Or the fact that if I’m stuck on the skyliner over water I have to evacuate a certain way?)

But I love how connected the skyliner feels. I can get to various places.

Now if they had something to go ti AK (I get that with the animals they really can’t do a lot) and to DS (love POR but it’s so far away except the boats to DS) and the water parks? I’d be happy.
💯 Agree
I love the Skyliner as a free ride with no need to pay extra for it, or reserve it at some hour when I want to be sleeping… I also agree that as a ride, I calculate in my head the chance of being stuck on it or killed by it same as I do any other ride anywhere… Images in my head of firemen evacuating guests at night over alligator-infested waters are fresher than similar images of the monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter