Travel Changes?

I am becoming more and more frustrated reading all the changes from other travel companies. We are booked on the first Danube River cruise and I am very nervous about it. We literally payed in full a week before everything seem to get a lot worse. Ironically we had just gotten off the Disney Wonder and had an amazing cruise so I had no qualms about PIF.
The fact that DCL has changed their cancellation policies and ABD has not upsets me. First I thought it was just Med cruises that go to Italy but it also applies to the repo and a Northern European itinerary. Then I thought it is just ocean cruises but it is not. Avalon and Viking River Cruises are offering no cancellation fees for 100% future travel credit. Then I just read that Amawaterways is also offering a similar policy. Which makes me even more angry since we are on their ships. ABD really should do something. They are really behind in their customer service. I was so looking forward to doing my first ABD after 16 Disney cruises. If they do not offer something I will not book another one in the future.

Last edited:
Once ABD cancels, they’ll work with you on getting airline fees reimbursed. So that’s the nice thing about that.

@disneyholic family you’re totally right about my game plan. I’m waiting until the absolute last minute if I’m going to cancel. I checked again today and still, no one has dropped out of this trip. So that either means I am the one that’s paranoid or everyone else is doing the same thing as me and thinking about canceling but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Once ABD cancels, they’ll work with you on getting airline fees reimbursed. So that’s the nice thing about that.

@disneyholic family you’re totally right about my game plan. I’m waiting until the absolute last minute if I’m going to cancel. I checked again today and still, no one has dropped out of this trip. So that either means I am the one that’s paranoid or everyone else is doing the same thing as me and thinking about canceling but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
I’m going to have to rethink my wait and see strategy for my upcoming 2 summer ABDs. I’m so stressed out for you now that France has near 1000 cases and I’m not the one going.

I’m going to have to rethink my wait and see strategy for my upcoming 2 summer ABDs. I’m so stressed out for you now that France has near 1000 cases and I’m not the one going.
OMG - when you wrote almost 1000 i took issue with that so went straight to the Hopkins dashboard and i can't believe it - you're right.
France is up to 949. That's a huge jump in one day. What was it yesterday? 749? something like that.
i'm like you, i'm stressing out on Neurosx1983's behalf.

I sure hope ABD is reading all these forums. They need to understand what their poor decisions are doing to their customers' confidence in them.

I’m really sorry to hear ABD has not acted yet. I wonder if they are trying to hold out to to see if anyone cancels before they are forced to cancel.... it’s such poor customer service though.

I’m really sorry to hear ABD has not acted yet. I wonder if they are trying to hold out to to see if anyone cancels before they are forced to cancel.... it’s such poor customer service though.

but they must be getting concerned phone calls from participants.
i find it hard to believe that Neurosx1983 is the only concerned person on the tour
so even if no one has cancelled, they know that there are people who are upset..

You’ve got a neurosurgeon here that’s freaking out and my wife who is a family practitioner freaking out but everyone at ABD is as calm as can be...how ironic.

I appreciate everyone’s support. I truly hope ABD cancels so guests aren’t ‘forced’ to go because people don’t want to lose 25% (and that’s assuming that got insurance)
With 1000 cases I’m certainly going to cancel but I’m holding out...

You’ve got a neurosurgeon here that’s freaking out and my wife who is a family practitioner freaking out but everyone at ABD is as calm as can be...how ironic.

I appreciate everyone’s support. I truly hope ABD cancels so guests aren’t ‘forced’ to go because people don’t want to lose 25% (and that’s assuming that got insurance)
I am on the England France leaving April 27th if ABD does not cancel we will, my husband is only 9 months out of Chemo. Super sad as this was our celebration of remission trip.

I am on the England France leaving April 27th if ABD does not cancel we will, my husband is only 9 months out of Chemo. Super sad as this was our celebration of remission trip.

i’m so sorry to hear that. This was to be our 10th anniversary trip as well. I had so many things planned out like a dinner on the Eiffel tower etc. and a Harry Potter tour for our son :(

ABD Italy: Amalfi Coast and Tuscany (May 31) has been cancelled.
ABD to refund monies but United Airlines is charging fees to cancel our flights.

I am not telling you to do, but having had to recently cancel for a flight on March 12th, I would wait before cancelling airfare. Italy is in a final vote to quarantine the whole region of Lombardy and 11 additional provinces through April 3rd - only emergency movement in and out. The situation in Italy (I think according to relatives and people we know there) is not ending any time soon. I have an idea airlines will need to extend their cancellation policies for Italy.

For example, at first Delta on said travel through March 3rd could be cancelled, then March 15, then....you get the idea. I would wait as there is really no benefit to cancelling today.

Last edited:

That's only for people who got their travel insurance through ABD or splurged on the pricey "Cancel for any Reason" coverage on their outside trip insurance. Most of us who just purchased "regular" trip insurance from an outside company are tough out of luck, and get 0% back if we cancel on our own.

Sayhello

I spoke to BA today and they are allowing cancellations on any flights booked on points with a 35£ fee. Sadly they won't refund the amount I paid to pre-book our seats, so instead of cancelling I'm waiting to see if they change their policy as the virus spreads; if they amend their policy then I will get the funds I paid for our seats returned.

I hope that Quark will allow dd and I to move our Arctic cruise to next year -- there's just too much uncertainty (about the virus) to continue to book a trip to Europe at this time. I'm hoping that Scott Dunn (the company that I used to book the land portion of our trip) will allow us to move our deposit to a Canadian Rockies trip or even refund our deposit.

I hope ABD changes their policy and soon. I don't think it's fair that they are making those booked wait until so close to their upcoming spring break trips to pull the plug. This prevents people from making other plans and causes a great deal of stress. Not cool ABD, not cool.

Europeans travelling to USA are now cancelling their bookings

Airlines are cutting back on flights to all USA airports .

If this gets worse will Disney & Universal be forced to close their Theme parks

Will they help you with airlines if you didnt book directly with them?

Will they help you with airlines if you didnt book directly with them?
Yes. If they cancel, they not only refund you everything but they work with you on getting any cancellation fees back with any airlines even if you didn’t book through ABD directly.

@sayhello you’re absolutely correct about the insurance policy. It is very pricey. I always get it because of my profession. Not knowing if some kind of emergency might pop up at the last second. But you’re right. Maybe most of the other people on the trip don’t have any kind of insurance and they would lose everything if they canceled right now.

so I’m in a waiting game with ABD to see if they will cancel within the next 72 hours. It’s insane that it’s come down to this. I’m incredibly upset about it. I used to think that Disney valued safety of their guests more than anything else. Why else would they be waiting until just this year told relaunch Egypt when other companies like Abercrombie have been going there for years now. I thought it was because they valued our safety and wanted to make sure there was not even an iota of risk. But with what’s going on now in France with 1000 cases, and ABD wanting to push forward, without even blinking an eye and giving some people an option of canceling or moving their trip, it’s left a very bad taste in my mouth. I can’t even really come up with any back up plan trips because I’m waiting on them to cancel this trip right now. One thing is for sure though, I’m definitely not going to the Jersey shore! No offense to anyone that likes it there…lol

I’ll be probably going to Hawaii. Not to make that sound like it’s anything less. And at this point if I catch corona at least I’ll be sipping on a mai tai when I do it. At least I know that there is less risk catching it there than in Central Europe where all hell is breaking loose.

Yes. If they cancel, they not only refund you everything but they work with you on getting any cancellation fees back with any airlines even if you didn’t book through ABD directly.

@sayhello you’re absolutely correct about the insurance policy. It is very pricey. I always get it because of my profession. Not knowing if some kind of emergency might pop up at the last second. But you’re right. Maybe most of the other people on the trip don’t have any kind of insurance and they would lose everything if they canceled right now.

so I’m in a waiting game with ABD to see if they will cancel within the next 72 hours. It’s insane that it’s come down to this. I’m incredibly upset about it. I used to think that Disney valued safety of their guests more than anything else. Why else would they be waiting until just this year told relaunch Egypt when other companies like Abercrombie have been going there for years now. I thought it was because they valued our safety and wanted to make sure there was not even an iota of risk. But with what’s going on now in France with 1000 cases, and ABD wanting to push forward, without even blinking an eye and giving some people an option of canceling or moving their trip, it’s left a very bad taste in my mouth. I can’t even really come up with any back up plan trips because I’m waiting on them to cancel this trip right now. One thing is for sure though, I’m definitely not going to the Jersey shore! No offense to anyone that likes it there…lol

I’ll be probably going to Hawaii. Not to make that sound like it’s anything less. And at this point if I catch corona at least I’ll be sipping on a mai tai when I do it. At least I know that there is less risk catching it there than in Central Europe where all hell is breaking loose.

If you do end up doing the back up plan to Hawaii be sure to spend some time at Aulani. We just were there in January, and while it wasn’t Europe it was fantastic! I hope ABD gives you the chance to back out of your trip. While I still intend to go on ours in a few months I do think they should be making it much easier to cancel or move trips for those that rather not go at this point.

Last edited:

hawaii sounds good to me...
four seasons maui sounds better, though i haven't been there for years, so haven't a clue if it's still nice as it was..
people tell me Four Seasons Resort Hualalai is to die for....not good in the corona context.....LOL...

but not to make light, i'm really sorry this happened and that ABD has been so inflexible.

do they not understand that people like me, who are still a couple of months from PIF are going to cancel as a result of this?

Last edited:
Northern Italy is now on lockdown until April 3rd. This includes the areas around Milan and Venice.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238
We are not scheduled for ABD Northern Italy and Switzerland until July 31st but that really does not seem very far away. In the U.S. as it stands right now, I am no way scared of COVID-19. I am carrying on life as usual including going to the Detroit Pistons game last night with 17,000 of my closest friends. But I am very cognizant and aware of this. And I am very aware that Italy is not a place that I want to go to this summer. PIF due 4/2/20.

We have a lot of money tied up with Delta flights. Many people think what Delta has offered is so wonderful. For flights to Italy scheduled through 5/31/20, you can cancel and use within one year from original ticket issue date. So that's November 2020 that I would have to travel if Delta eventually extends the time from 5/31/20 to 7/31/20. I confirmed this with Delta this morning on the phone. That is not reasonable for those of us that purchased our tickets far in advance. It actually feels like a penalty for doing so. My trip was a family trip and going somewhere in the fall is not reasonable. They said I could speak with customer care if it comes to that and they may be flexible.

I have also thought about Hawaii this summer but who knows where this virus is going to spread. Nowhere in the world is immune.

I understand that my trip is 4 1/2 months away but I am just thinking ahead. A lot can change by July but I think this is getting worse before it gets better.

And ABD, get it together. We deserve much better than what you are telling us. Heck your webpage should at least have some communication like every airline and cruise line does. Very baffling and disappointing.

Attachments

• 1583658766139.png
    1583658766139.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter