• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We love our dog and travel using Pet Friendly hotels .We are with her most of the time .
However , at WDW , leaving her in a resort room by herself while at the parks , is a horrible idea.
Unfair to her and all guests around us.
Bad idea Disney ! More income with no logic !
Hope it fails ASAP.

We often talked about maybe getting an RV, then I wouldn't mind bringing our dog along (if we had a dog mind you) but there are so many ifs from so, so many people and probably falling upon deaf ears to actually get a real answer and not scripted or canned responses.

To be honest expected to wake up and see this thread locked ........ :laughing:

This is exactly what will happen especially since you RARELY ever see a CM by the beaches, the waterside walkways, the bridges, the walk & bridge between AoA and POP, the walkways and river walk between POR and FQ. FW is already dog friendly and there will be no area there without them. They will slowly inch their way everywhere on their walks and play time .......... and Disney won't say anything to them just like they walk past folks smoking in non DSA areas (even in parks), walk past selfie sticks and prohibited items. They don't want confrontation and they won't do anything about anything.

Priceless Disney stating they are allowed in public areas and claiming there are designated dog areas. Vaccinations should be provided prior to being give a room key, but I suppose they could be faked anyway.

Disney says dogs can be in the public walkways and common areas, even lobby .... just not pool, fitness center, food court, lounges ... They must be on a leash to be in the public areas.

Another concern I have for you is that groups will likely be the pawns at resorts as a buffer between dogs and general guests.

That's a depressing thought and I was thinking that we would probably get less consideration as a group (we kinda already are), but you're probably right about the buffer thing. I keep thinking about if there are issues at check in - I feel like we'd almost have to triage ourselves? I don't have any serious medical considerations, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a few in our group, for whom "the best we can do is request". I'm sorry - sometimes I just like to repeat that because I really feel like it's pretty poor treatment on Disney's part! And, I am really worried about check in - I'm flying in at night - I'll be with the group but it's just me and my DD in my traveling party. What if there is a serious cleanliness issue in my perhaps pet friendly room when I arrive at an unfamiliar sprawling resort, alone with my 10 year old? I don't think it's a stretch - I've had problems with my room on check-in before on several occasions.

Regarding some of your other points - I completely agree about the rule enforcement. I feel like it's always a cost/benefit ratio when if affect me directly. How much time/vacation energy do I want to spend address something - line jumping, being downwind of someone smoking on balconies, etc., when the CM doesn't support your concern or do anything?

The touring plans article clearly states that dogs are not allowed on furniture during check-in. So at least there's some clarity. I'm very surprised how vaguely worded and lax the policies are, as there does seem to be other pet friendly hotel chains whose policies they could have looked at when developing their own.

Which brings me to a question...Best Friends Pet Care is owned by Disney or not and just affiliated? I'm back to the vaccination policy. It's clearly worded, I'm sure for the protection of all the dogs. Why isn't the resort policy the same? Just seems more logical...

Required Documentation
All pets visiting Best Friends Pet Care must be up-to-date on their vaccines. Written proof is required from a veterinarian. Please bring a copy with you to present at check-in, or you may ask your veterinarian's office to fax it to (203) 840-5266 before you arrive. For information on vaccine requirements, please call (877) 4 WDW-PETS or (877) 493-9738. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

I would add #5 to your list: ask Disney for compensation whenever you must take time out from your vacation to go to the front desk to complain about dog policy violations or uncomfortable encounters with aggressive dogs at the hotel. Disney should have to compensate any guest who has to take time out from an expensive vacation to walk over to the font desk, wait in line, and spend time complaining. Time is money, especially on vacation. And beyond time is money, each uncomfortable encounter with an aggressive dog at a Disney hotel is going to require prime compensation.

BINGO!

So I have a question I haven't seen brought up. Being that there is no size limit, do dogs count towards occupancy? I mean a 90lb lab is going to take up way more space when evacuating a hotel than my 40lb 6 year old. So can people potentially have 5 people plus 2 dogs in a room at POR?

I know I always see occupancy mentioned regarding fire codes and how many people can safely evacuate x number of rooms in the event of a fire or emergency. If that's accurate I would imagine 2 large 4 legged animals would essentially take up as much space as 4 younger children.

Just a random thought I was curious about.

It was brought up briefly earlier in the thread. It was thought that no, dogs do not count against occupancy. So yes, I believe rooms could be at maximum occupancy plus 2 dogs if they wished. Crazy.

That's a depressing thought and I was thinking that we would probably get less consideration as a group (we kinda already are), but you're probably right about the buffer thing. I keep thinking about if there are issues at check in - I feel like we'd almost have to triage ourselves? I don't have any serious medical considerations, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a few in our group, for whom "the best we can do is request". I'm sorry - sometimes I just like to repeat that because I really feel like it's pretty poor treatment on Disney's part! And, I am really worried about check in - I'm flying in at night - I'll be with the group but it's just me and my DD in my traveling party. What if there is a serious cleanliness issue in my perhaps pet friendly room when I arrive at an unfamiliar sprawling resort, alone with my 10 year old? I don't think it's a stretch - I've had problems with my room on check-in before on several occasions.

Regarding some of your other points - I completely agree about the rule enforcement. I feel like it's always a cost/benefit ratio when if affect me directly. How much time/vacation energy do I want to spend address something - line jumping, being downwind of someone smoking on balconies, etc., when the CM doesn't support your concern or do anything?

The touring plans article clearly states that dogs are not allowed on furniture during check-in. So at least there's some clarity. I'm very surprised how vaguely worded and lax the policies are, as there does seem to be other pet friendly hotel chains whose policies they could have looked at when developing their own.

Which brings me to a question...Best Friends Pet Care is owned by Disney or not and just affiliated? I'm back to the vaccination policy. It's clearly worded, I'm sure for the protection of all the dogs. Why isn't the resort policy the same? Just seems more logical...

Required Documentation
All pets visiting Best Friends Pet Care must be up-to-date on their vaccines. Written proof is required from a veterinarian. Please bring a copy with you to present at check-in, or you may ask your veterinarian's office to fax it to (203) 840-5266 before you arrive. For information on vaccine requirements, please call (877) 4 WDW-PETS or (877) 493-9738. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.
Best friends isn't not owned by Disney

Required Documentation

They are not owned by Disney. They are a national franchise type business so likely just a land lease like the hotels in DS.

It was brought up briefly earlier in the thread. It was thought that no, dogs do not count against occupancy. So yes, I believe rooms could be at maximum occupancy plus 2 dogs if they wished. Crazy.

And with no weight limit they could be two BIG dogs. Big bark, big poop. o_O

Fine. Go on vacation with your dog SOMEWHERE ELSE. Why would you take to a place where you know that the majority of the people you encounter are going to be very unhappy to see your animal there with you?

Because that's the decision somebody made to take their dog on their trip. And you can't speculate that the majority will be unhappy. My guess is most people will look and say hey cute dog and then move on with their day.

We have a pretty good amount of Disney stock and it can go up and down based on many factors. MAYBE the new trial policy is a factor BUT it can also be due to the hurricanes or normal sell off from investors etc.

FWIW...I did send a note to Disney as a stockholder letting them know I like doing the new policy AND wanted them to be sure and enforce the rules as many would be there to capture any little enfraction. Also told them they could have allowed more time for implementation.
I too am a shareholder and sent a letter stating I was not happy with the short notice given and how vague the rules are. Also, that other polices in place are not being enforced.

WDW is obviously not listening to our concerns. Does anyone want to start a petition https://www.change.org/
I don't see any reason why you aren't able to start a petition.

Yes. And now the dogs will significantly add to this.
I think the point was if whoever was playing in the grass expected it to be free of all things gross..that didn't happen before. I have deer a lot in my backyard..I know what they do. Adding a dog into the mix doesn't change that I wasn't able to walk barefoot in the grass before unless I was willing to accept that a deer may have just peed (and yeah I've watched a few times this occur right in front of me) on the grass.

Other wildlife (as I have no fence and live where woods are on my property line) have and will continue to do their business fence or no fence really. Saying "it will add to it" doesn't change the fact of what it was before. So in other words kids may have been playing in the grass right where wildlife was doing their business-policy or no policy-that will not change and is always a risk. Perhaps it was something no one wants to think about until something much more common to our lives-the presence of dogs-occurred.

I’ve also been following since the beginning and have read every post. I am still 100% against the policy. I will always be against pets of any kind (especially dogs) at the resorts no matter how they amend the policies or enforce them. Some people will think I’m wrong to think that, and that’s ok. But it doesn’t change the fact that there are 85% of people who don’t think it’s ok and 15% that do. Wasn’t that a big social issue recently, about a certain small percent of people who control the rest of us? As long as the 15% are getting what they want, screw the rest of us, right?
Well the response is vastly different than this thread if you're only looking at postive vs negative reaction (votes for yes and no on this poll and likes/loves vs angry face/sad face reactions) on Disney's own official FB page (12,000 likes, 3,500 loves vs 127 angry face and 26 sad face).

I don't know about you but there can't be that many outliers to create a 15,500 vs 153 negative or in other words 99.02% have a positive reaction with 0.98% having a negative reaction out of 15,653 (combined likes,loves,angry face,sad face). Comments, just like this thread, vary but again I'm not about to go through the 10,000 comments.

You don't have to agree with me including it in there but it is clear that when it comes to this new policy the DIS isn't the only voice out there.

Some of the suggestions on this thread have really jumped the shark.

My favorites are:

* Punish Disney by having everyone ask for a deep cleaning even if it's not necessary. That'll teach 'em!
* Follow dog owners around with your phone and document every single possible transgression. Flag down every available CM and show them the photos and videos. Go to the front desk and demand that the manager view your photos and videos. That'll teach 'em!
* Lastly (and this one is my favorite), while at the front desk DEMAND that you be compensated for the time you spent doing your junior sleuthing because you are obviously doing their job for them. That'll teach 'em! Oh, and we get a free lunch in the process!
I'm not being sarcastic, dismissive or anything like that but truthfully I don't know who is having the worst time in your above comments-the dog who may be in the room for up to 7hrs (yes yes I know the time issue) or the person who is spending their vacation doing the above (yes yes I know if the dog policy wasn't around they wouldn't feel like they have to do x,y,z,etc)

No one wrote what you listed. Those are your re-writes with major changes and exaggerations.

And I guess you don't understand what "jumped the shark" means: portraying in fiction something so over the top that no one could even pretend to believe it would ever really happen. Some of the things people have suggested to address this while on-site (not the fake re-writes you made) will happen, so there has been no shark jumping. Nice try though.
Hmm well I'm not going back through the whole thread here but to my recollection:

~There was a poster talking about waiting at the front desk for pixie dust for their soiled shoes

~People saying you should get compensation for going through a taxi or alternative transportation instead of MDE

~A poster saying "your camera/phone is your best "defense". Take pictures and or videos and send them to Disney." (that one I get if you just happen to have your phone and see an actual transgression but it came off like "make sure to have your phone on you out and ready to catch anything and everything with a guest who has a dog with them" I don't know about you but I don't take pictures of people on vacation and report them to the company if they fail to follow the rules (which I'm sure all of us has one time or another on vacation witnessed something that was technically against the rules or policy). I do however, if I feel really inclined to, speak with whomever is in charge.

~Other comments related to using the words "I demand they do this and that if I see even ONE thing......" which comes off very.....hostile to say the least. I do remember one comment about seeing one dog hair..and I don't know how this new policy is any different than a service dog would be. It's entirely possible before this policy went into place that a dog hair would have been from a service dog and was missed upon cleaning. And even with this policy in place it's entirely possible before this that a dog hair will be from a service dog not a pet. Either way doesn't mean the person shouldn't be able to request a cleaning or a room change but it does mean that the possibility of a dog hair existed long before this policy came into play.

~And oh so many more things.

So I would probably say paraphrasing here or combining several types of comments together. The deep cleaning aspect I don't have much of a comment either way on that. As far as exaggerations......do we want to get into that??

And there is no offense meant here it's just there have been some comments you can't ignore as far as the reactions. Nothing invalidates how one feels for sure though.

I think I've kept up with reading this thread, but I could have missed some posts.

So here is something I wonder about--when Disney says that their dog guests need to be up-to-date on their vaccinations, which ones do they mean?

I can tell you that my town asks only for rabies when they issue a license. Our groomer wants rabies and kennel cough. The kennel wants those and a couple more--I forget which. Our vet's office would gladly turn my dog into a pin cushion and charge us a few hundred dollars for them.

Are canine vaccines regulated in Florida? Or is it Disney's or another business's call which ones are required?

You have to have chosen to ignore my posts! I’ve said how this affects families of five ad nauseum. I’m sick of myself. & yes it’s a small group, but so are the people who want to bring dogs to WDW.
You may still stay at All Star Music, CBR, Beach Club, Boardwalk Inn, Wilderness Lodge (Club Level), the Contemporary, the Polynesian, the Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Villas, Polynesian Villas, GF Villas, Boulder Ridge Villas, and the Beach Club Villas.

Fine. Go on vacation with your dog SOMEWHERE ELSE. Why would you take to a place where you know that the majority of the people you encounter are going to be very unhappy to see your animal there with you?
And by majority you mean just the people here on this thread? You do know that the boards are only a small portion of Disney vacationers right?

Please don't shout at me too.

I think I've kept up with reading this thread, but I could have missed some posts.

So here is something I wonder about--when Disney says that their dog guests need to be up-to-date on their vaccinations, which ones do they mean?

I can tell you that my town asks only for rabies when they issue a license. Our groomer wants rabies and kennel cough. The kennel wants those and a couple more--I forget which. Our vet's office would gladly turn my dog into a pin cushion and charge us a few hundred dollars for them.

Are canine vaccines regulated in Florida? Or is it Disney's or another business's call which ones are required?
Yes, they must be vaccinated.
Chapter 828

828.30 Rabies vaccination of dogs, cats, and ferrets.—
(1) All dogs, cats, and ferrets 4 months of age or older must be vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian against rabies with a vaccine that is licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture for use in those species. The owner of every dog, cat, and ferret shall have the animal revaccinated 12 months after the initial vaccination. Thereafter, the interval between vaccinations shall conform to the vaccine manufacturer’s directions. The cost of vaccination must be borne by the animal’s owner. Evidence of circulating rabies virus neutralizing antibodies shall not be used as a substitute for current vaccination in managing rabies exposure or determining the need for booster vaccinations.

Yes, they must be vaccinated.
Chapter 828

828.30 Rabies vaccination of dogs, cats, and ferrets.—
(1) All dogs, cats, and ferrets 4 months of age or older must be vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian against rabies with a vaccine that is licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture for use in those species. The owner of every dog, cat, and ferret shall have the animal revaccinated 12 months after the initial vaccination. Thereafter, the interval between vaccinations shall conform to the vaccine manufacturer’s directions. The cost of vaccination must be borne by the animal’s owner. Evidence of circulating rabies virus neutralizing antibodies shall not be used as a substitute for current vaccination in managing rabies exposure or determining the need for booster vaccinations.

So just it's only rabies according to Florida state law. I suppose Disney or another business (like a groomer or kennel) could ask for more.

Too many issues. Where do you draw lines? Some owners won't pick up their dogs waste. Is the resort guest responsible if their dog barks in the room all day while they are gone. Is mousekeeping responsible for the dog if they enter the room. Who is responsible if 2 dogs get aggressive to one another. My DD is walking with a Mickey ice cream, the dog jumps at it, and bites her on accident...the dog is at fault, the owner is at fault, and now Disney is at fault for none of their doing. The lawsuits definitely follow which quarantines the dog, opens the owner to damages, and Disney as well since it happened on their property.

Disney already has an entire site for dog/pet owners. That is Fort Wilderness. If you need to do a trial, forget it. It already exists. If you want to bring your dog, go there.

Well, well, what do you know... my email to Corporate actually got a response! From an actual human being! Who has given me their phone number! And wants me to call them back...

I wasn't really prepared for them to answer me and want to chat about this so quickly! I figured I would get an ignored, canned response like everyone else.

Hmmmm... what to say, what to do... it's hard to make any definitive statements about our upcoming trip because we haven't booked anything, it's all dreaming at this stage. :(

But wow! I guess I used some very descriptive language to get their attention within 24 hours.
Who did you email WDW Guest communications? I emailed them about 10 minutes ago and only got an email saying it may take 7 days to be contacted back. We leave in 3 weeks. :mad:

Whoa whoa whoa, you're not actually suggesting that people should just not go with their dogs simply because others around them are going to be very unhappy to see your animal there with you?? And I'm trying to figure out how you are privy to the initimate thoughts of what the majority of the over 50million visitors to WDW parks annually will be unhappy with.

Gee maybe we should take a poll and see who the worst types of guests are at WDW and on resort property and tell them to vacation elsewhere because they aren't welcomed there? I mean let's see from the comments I've seen in my time on the boards that would include: tour groups, foreigners (to be more specific those that don't speak english), people with ECVs, people with strollers, people who use flash photography or use their phones in dark rides, and the list goes on and on.

I don't even condone the above list but I most assuredly have seen this time and time again on complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter