• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a question I haven't seen brought up. Being that there is no size limit, do dogs count towards occupancy? I mean a 90lb lab is going to take up way more space when evacuating a hotel than my 40lb 6 year old. So can people potentially have 5 people plus 2 dogs in a room at POR?

I know I always see occupancy mentioned regarding fire codes and how many people can safely evacuate x number of rooms in the event of a fire or emergency. If that's accurate I would imagine 2 large 4 legged animals would essentially take up as much space as 4 younger children.

Just a random thought I was curious about.

I have a question related to my POR stay...I've never stayed there but it looks rather sprawling and spread out. So, I read on one of these threads (not this one) that when you call "Front Desk" from your room, you're not getting the front desk but a call center. Is this accurate or am I remembering incorrectly? I know if you call housekeeping or bell services you're getting people in the hotel so that surprised me but I'm sure it could be accurate. When I had an issue with my room at WL, I walked down to the lobby, but in a more spread out resort, just curious what people do when they have room issues...

I'm sure there will be some problems with this as it is a trial and they need to work through the problems. Who knows, maybe it will be fine. If someone has allergies, the room issue will be a problem, so designated pet rooms seems to be a must. Leaving the dog in day care all day, doesn't seem like a good idea, however, many people leave their dogs in a day care while they are away, so if the dogs have a play area, and all the dogs have their required shots, what difference would that make. The owners could see their dogs everyday and bring them home at night....seems like a better solution than leaving them for a whole trip at a doggy day care. Some people don't like dogs and they will never think it's okay. So we shall see won't we?

With a male dog, very unlikely they will wait. As soon as they get on grass or near a shrub it will be all over. Whoever has made these decisions has obviously never visited a dog park.
Large dogs maybe, but I carry my little dog to the appropriate place. I really think it’ll be difficult for ppl to travel with large dogs so it’ll be more little dogs.

I have a question related to my POR stay...I've never stayed there but it looks rather sprawling and spread out. So, I read on one of these threads (not this one) that when you call "Front Desk" from your room, you're not getting the front desk but a call center. Is this accurate or am I remembering incorrectly? I know if you call housekeeping or bell services you're getting people in the hotel so that surprised me but I'm sure it could be accurate. When I had an issue with my room at WL, I walked down to the lobby, but in a more spread out resort, just curious what people do when they have room issues...

Yes, with a room problem always walk to the front desk.

We have a travel trailer and have taken one of our doggies with us to FW. They have a huge dog park that she really enjoyed and she enjoyed walking around the loops with us and getting lots of attention.

Same here. We only take them when we camp, we're either at the camper with them or they go hiking/walking with us.

Ours is a cottage with a lake. Believe me the dogs will love that more than being cooped up in some hotel room.

So, does the 30 minute bark limit start when you first hear it, or will it start when you call Guest Services and tell them it's been 30 minutes? My guess is that it will be like smoking, "we have to see it to address it" so they will have to know that it has been going on for 30 minutes and a guest report will not do. It never has because of smoking.

Yes, it's accurate at pretty much all Disney resorts. They do take some calls at the front desk, but most are routed to a call center. I had a conversation with a front desk CM about this on our last trip. If you have a problem to address definitely take the time to walk down there.

...Service animals are not a common occurrence at most resorts, thus they don't leave a lot of dander and there isn't a build up on surfaces. When you add more pets to the mix, there will be.

This.

I tend to think newbies are going to make the mistake of not understanding what a Disney parks vacation entails and bring a dog thinking it will be great to have the family pet with them. Not necessarily getting the logistics of getting back and forth and time constraints, how long rides, reservations, etc. will actually take. How much time it will actually take in the parks to see and do what they want to do...

Very good point.

I wonder if people will spring for a plane ticket so they can bring their dogs? Seems like people who would be driving would be more likely to bring them.

Not straightforward at all. This keeps getting ignored so I'll explain it again. I have a family of 5. Our affordable onsite options are POR and CBR. The next step up in price (which we could possibly manage for a shorter trip with a good discount) would be the FW Cabins or AoA suites. We now have one option which is CBR and it's currently under major construction.

I do believe there are a small number of suites at an All Star resort, but they rarely seem to show up as available, and after my experience with the rooms at AS Sports last year I wouldn't consider a stay in an AS resort again until they have a reburb. Even if you included their small number of suites then I have 2 unpleasant options for now.

Of course. I understand that four resorts have been taken out of the mix IF one does not want to stay at a Dog-Friendly resort.

But there are still 20+ other options of all types of sizes, configurations and price points.

So, does the 30 minute bark limit start when you first hear it, or will it start when you call Guest Services and tell them it's been 30 minutes? My guess is that it will be like smoking, "we have to see it to address it" so they will have to know that it has been going on for 30 minutes and a guest report will not do. It never has because of smoking.

The Touring Plans blog had a pretty comprehensive article about it, and it talked about some of the policies. It said, "Your dog will be expected to be quiet in the room–if your dog begins barking, you are required to address the issue within 30 minutes". But of course, that's not hotel management so not sure how it would work in practice. I hear you on the smoking example...

Of course. I understand that four resorts have been taken out of the mix IF one does not want to stay at a Dog-Friendly resort.

But there are still 20+ other options of all types of sizes, configurations and price points.

There are VERY few options for families of 5 people if you take both Art of Animation and Port Orleans Riverside out of the mix. It simply isn't true that there are 20+ additional options.

There are VERY few options for families of 5 people if you take both Art of Animation and Port Orleans Riverside out of the mix. It simply isn't true that there are 20+ additional options.

Everyone has constraints...budget, family configuration, health needs...and those constraints are always changing. I developed a health condition last year where I need to have a kitchen from now on. That eliminated a lot of resort options. But the great thing about Orlando is that there are so many options, onsite and offsite.

I wonder if people will spring for a plane ticket so they can bring their dogs? Seems like people who would be driving would be more likely to bring them.

And the only dogs that really go on planes are little ones which have the (right or wrong) reputation as being yappy...that being said we did bring my dog when we went to Disney Land a million years ago (by that I mean he stayed in the kennel right near the park during the day). We were passing through the area when my dad was transferred, so the dog was with us.

Some of the suggestions on this thread have really jumped the shark.

My favorites are:

* Punish Disney by having everyone ask for a deep cleaning even if it's not necessary. That'll teach 'em!
* Follow dog owners around with your phone and document every single possible transgression. Flag down every available CM and show them the photos and videos. Go to the front desk and demand that the manager view your photos and videos. That'll teach 'em!
* Lastly (and this one is my favorite), while at the front desk DEMAND that you be compensated for the time you spent doing your junior sleuthing because you are obviously doing their job for them. That'll teach 'em! Oh, and we get a free lunch in the process!

Nothing is more magical than stalking dogs pooping while you're on vacation!

I kid I kid :)

The guest services person I spoke with said that she requested a VIP cleaning for our room. We are arriving early and now I am worried that we will have to wait a long time before our room is ready. What has been your experience with VIP cleaning?

I posted earlier in the thread but the time we stayed at BWV we arrived at 3:30 and were told our room wasn't ready because the carpet had been shampooed that day and was still wet. I assumed it was due to a deep clean due to a service animal but did not inquire. They let us in the room sometime around 4 and the carpet was soaking wet. They refused to give us a dry room and the carpet was still damp the next morning.

Yes but they don't get to see us or be with us when they are sitting alone in the kennel. You won't understand. It's something you have to experience. I'm not sure if you ever had to put a dog on a kennel before. It's hard and stressful and I do nothing but think about them and worry. I call several times to check on them. It's comforting to have your pets with you.

I do understand. My dogs adore the kennel. I understand some don't. My sister has a terrier who was a rescue and has separation anxiety so a boarding kennel would not work for him. She leaves him with family...though I very much see her as the person who would bring him to one of these resorts. My two girls LOVE the boarding kennel we go to (and coincidentally Pete who owns the DIS gave high marks to BFPC when he left his puppy Abigail there). Me personally...I would be non stop worrying about my girls in a hotel room. Worried they were confused. Worried they were reacting to the noise outside the room. Worried they were disrupting. Worriedsomeone enters the room and accidentally lets them out. Worried they were barking, chewing or peeing pooping....even though they do none of those things at home.

Different strokes. I get how dogs in a hotel works for some and doesn't for others. But I don't think making Disney resorts pet friendly is the right move. Build a new resort and make it pet friendly...sure. But no change to the current ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter