TRIP REPORT: This will be the last trip for a long time.....

Adult Park Goers - I know this may go against many, but to me the parks are about the kids....always has been and should be IMO. My wife and I weren't shocked that people would be there without kids....just at the large number of people that were....and I'll just leave it at that.

I think you will have trouble finding anyone else who agrees with this. I actually have often thought the opposite. WDW IMO is a vacation destination. Most of which is not for little kids. Disneyland would be closer to something that is more for kids.

I actually feel the opposite. I can't imagine myself taking a 2 year old to WDW with all the crowds and chaos. Kids would have to be at least about 7 or so before I would plan a trip for them. Not expecting anyone to agree with that, but I've often thought this when I see tired cranky toddlers throwing a tantrum.

Anyway, those adults paid their money and have just as much right to enjoy all that WDW has to offer.

Negatives:

Adult Park Goers - I know this may go against many, but to me the parks are about the kids....always has been and should be IMO. My wife and I weren't shocked that people would be there without kids....just at the large number of people that were....and I'll just leave it at that.

I have 3 young kids and my DH and I often visit Disney WITHOUT THEM! Gasp!! I'm sorry. You have tried to clarify what you "meant" but your first statement speaks volumes. You obviously have an issue with "too many" childless people at the parks. To think that Disney is only for kids or to think that people without kids are weird or unwelcome at Disney is asinine IMO and I'll just leave it at that.

A big part of the experience for me is seeing all the little kids (including my own) react/experience/have fun.

I'd probably consider it a negative as well if I didn't see as many of them in the parks. Kinda enriches the experience for me.

Flame on.

No flames...I completely understand that seeing little kids react/experience/have fun is a big part of the experience. It is for me as well, whether DD is with us or not. I don't think that is the issue people are taking with what the OP has said in the thread (not just in the OP).

No....not any specific behavior....as I stated....to me it is about that sparkle in the kid's eyes and the smiles on their faces....

To me it takes away when I see kids waiting in line to get pictures with their favorite characters and their are adults with no kids waiting in line in front of them.

I can totally understand that seeing kids experience it and have fun *adds* to the experience for people.

What I don't understand is how a childless adult being in line *takes away* from anyone else's experience, as was stated above.

That is the part that, to me, is a lot different than someone just saying they feel like seeing WDW through kids' eyes/experiences is a big part of their experience.

To me it is a shame that so much is being made about an observation I made on our trip. I could care less whether adults go or not. EVERYONE has their reasons for going or not going. I simply stated there were a large number there without kids....I never said there shouldn't have been. If people want to keep reading into that (obviously), there is nothing I can do about that. Enjoy your time as you should.....we did.

It's fine you put it in as an observation, the thing that struck a nerve was that you listed it as a negative. As many posters pointed out why is it a negative that adults are in the parks without children?

The 50yo lady saw an empty horse and climbed aboard. While it would have been very accommodating of her to relinguish it, she was under no obligation to do so.

Childless adults can ride kiddie rides if they desire. Too bad if it means longer lines for impatient kids and parents.

:crazy2:

Yeah... Exactly this kind of attitude was a huge turn off for me and it's part of why we did not plan a return trip. The entitlement feeling of everyone in the parks is kind of gross. Everyone paid thousands of dollars so everyone has the right to do whatever they want.

What I don't understand is how a childless adult being in line *takes away* from anyone else's experience, as was stated above.

It "takes" from the experience because in my opinion character meets/kiddie rides are kid experiences it sucks to have to wait in line for hours so adults get their chance to meet the characters little kids don't have the same stamina as adults. I went to disney as a childless adult but I had no desire to meet characters or to ride kiddie rides but to each their own.

If Disney is really interested in catering everyone maybe they should keep some things kids only or adults only accompanied by kids that way the kids can have have some rides they can ride without long lines.

Its official you are all Disney Obsessed. Guess we need to keep our opinions to our self unless we are speaking to people with children or grandchildren that are a little less obsessed .:rotfl2:

If Disney is really interested in catering everyone maybe they should keep some things kids only or adults only accompanied by kids that way the kids can have have some rides they can ride without long lines.

:rotfl:Thats a great idea! Ostracize a whole demographic!! I'm sure it would go over really well. You should pitch that idea to an imagineer!

Take your kids to Universal Studios now. They will have more fun with the rides. Then, 10-20 years from now when they have kids of their own and you are grandparents, you can start the Disney World trips all over again, and a bunch of stuff will be new to explore!

Disney is not about KIDS only... it's not about ADULTS only... it's about FAMILY & FRIENDS.

Ethan

Can somebody tell me how to delete the original post. This is getting pretty ridiculous. I made an observation on our trip and it has turned into that I hate any adult that goes to Disney ever without kids......

Just tell me how and I'll delete it.

Well, if nothing else, there are many adults posting in this thread who have proven that they haven't quite grown up. Connection? Perhaps. :rotfl:

Take your kids to Universal Studios now. They will have more fun with the rides. Then, 10-20 years from now when they have kids of their own and you are grandparents, you can start the Disney World trips all over again, and a bunch of stuff will be new to explore!

Disney is not about KIDS only... it's not about ADULTS only... it's about FAMILY & FRIENDS.

Ethan
Universal is also for all ages...not just thrill ride seeking teens. When my kids were younger they had some of their best times at the Universal parks. They have some of the best 'playground' type areas there where kids can explore and create their own fun and have a nice selection of attractions to cover all age groups as well.

It "takes" from the experience because in my opinion character meets/kiddie rides are kid experiences it sucks to have to wait in line for hours so adults get their chance to meet the characters little kids don't have the same stamina as adults. I went to disney as a childless adult but I had no desire to meet characters or to ride kiddie rides but to each their own.

I'd like to see a realistic plan as to how Disney could accomplish this. :rotfl2: Where do you draw the line? What rides or experiences would be off-limits to adults? Honestly, if someone wants to spend three hours waiting in line for Anna & Elsa (I wouldn't) and they don't have kids, that's their prerogative. It's not like they're getting makeovers at the Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique.

You're taking your children to a busy theme park and you potentially may have to wait in line (just like everybody else visiting the parks.) You can either book a FP+ or just deal with the standby waits. A parent knows their child best; if the child doesn't have the stamina to wait in line then that's ultimately the parent's decision.

I also can't imagine that there are so many adults without children waiting in line that it's creating an exponential wait time for any experience or ride. :confused3

Just weighing in...we bought into DVC to enjoy with our adult children and future grandkids (hoping!)...for now we sometimes go down to WDW and just enjoy the resorts, spas, restaurants, shows, fireworks, relaxing by the pool, and perhaps a day or two in the parks...It is a resort destination and not all about the parks for us! Seems silly that childless adults would be unsettling to anyone...we're certainly not into character interaction but are happy to pose with one or two we see along the way.

I'd like to see a realistic plan as to how Disney could accomplish this. :rotfl2: Where do you draw the line? What rides or experiences would be off-limits to adults? Honestly, if someone wants to spend three hours waiting in line for Anna & Elsa (I wouldn't) and they don't have kids, that's their prerogative. It's not like they're getting makeovers at the Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique.

Sea world/busch gardens have kid only areas. We did not spend the whole day there or anything like that but it was nice to have an area where our kids could ride some rides without competing with all the adults in the park.

I bet one kidney that if BBB boutique offered adult makeovers adults would fill up a good part of the appointments.

Wow, dramatic much?! These types of threads are what I hate about the Dis. I come back because of the wealth of info, but these ones drive me nuts. God forbid the OP states his opinion about something. Who cares if you agree with it or not, he has the right to his opinion. And he even apologized before stating his opinion and he's still getting flammed! OP, I enjoyed your post. It was very honest and I agree with the person who said Universal sounds like it would fit your kids better for now until, as you stated, you can return with your Grandkids. I've been with my kids and without, and I for one prefer going with children. It's just more magical to me to see everything through their eyes. Flame away...

:thumbsup2 Agree. 8 pages of folks complaining about OP's comment about adults in the parks.

Sea world/busch gardens have kid only areas. We did not spend the whole day there or anything like that but it was nice to have an area where our kids could ride some rides without competing with all the adults in the park.

I bet one kidney that if BBB boutique offered adult makeovers adults would fill up a good part of the appointments.

Sea World and Busch Gardens are quite different than Disney World. Are there really so many adults going on rides like Dumbo or Winnie the Pooh that this is actually an issue?

Can somebody tell me how to delete the original post. This is getting pretty ridiculous. I made an observation on our trip and it has turned into that I hate any adult that goes to Disney ever without kids...... Just tell me how and I'll delete it.

Once you delete they'll just move on to the next (or last) grievance...

Your point was clear to anyone not looking to be offended, and clear in a totally different and unintentional way to those spoiling for an argument.

I'd rather my kids wait behind 100 kids for an attraction/character meet than behind 50 adults.

My signature used to be "If something I said can be taken one of two ways, and one of those ways makes you sad or mad, I meant it the other way."

:crazy2:

Yeah... Exactly this kind of attitude was a huge turn off for me and it's part of why we did not plan a return trip. The entitlement feeling of everyone in the parks is kind of gross. Everyone paid thousands of dollars so everyone has the right to do whatever they want.
Do whatever they want as long as it isn't a kid activity, right? Because it takes from the kids experience?
It "takes" from the experience because in my opinion character meets/kiddie rides are kid experiences it sucks to have to wait in line for hours so adults get their chance to meet the characters little kids don't have the same stamina as adults. I went to Disney as a childless adult but I had no desire to meet characters or to ride kiddie rides but to each their own.
As an adult, I booked breakfast, on my birthday, at Crystal Palace, so I could meet and greet Winnie the Pooh. It was the highlight of my trip. He even signed my hat. I love wearing it.

Just because you didn't have any desire to meet the characters doesn't mean that all adults feel that way.
If they were really interested in catering to everyone, they would have adults only pools at resorts.

:crazy2: Yeah... Exactly this kind of attitude was a huge turn off for me and it's part of why we did not plan a return trip. The entitlement feeling of everyone in the parks is kind of gross. Everyone paid thousands of dollars so everyone has the right to do whatever they want. It "takes" from the experience because in my opinion character meets/kiddie rides are kid experiences it sucks to have to wait in line for hours so adults get their chance to meet the characters little kids don't have the same stamina as adults. I went to disney as a childless adult but I had no desire to meet characters or to ride kiddie rides but to each their own. If Disney is really interested in catering everyone maybe they should keep some things kids only or adults only accompanied by kids that way the kids can have have some rides they can ride without long lines.

I'm so glad someone set me straight. Silly me, I thought meeting characters was fair game for adults and part of the Disney magic. I'm so glad to now know I shouldn't do that because I'm taking something away from children. I guess I'll abandon meeting characters, although that means I'll spend more time riding rides. But I should check the queue for the ride to make sure there are no children whom I'd be taking something away from while riding. So, if there are kids in the ride lines, that means no character meet and greets and no rides. So I guess that leaves eating in the restaurants. But if there's a kid in the corner having a meltdown because their family's ADR isn't for another half-hour, then I guess I should give up my ADR so the poor kid can eat.

Yep, I can understand why would people would think it's weird for adults with no kids to go to Disney parks, because according to a few of you, there's nothing we should be allowed to do (it's for the kids, after all).

Well, DH and I are childless adults who really love Disney. I'm not going to get mad at the comment, but I will give an answer to "why would someone without kids go?"

Because it's magic. I love that it's an insulated bubble of happiness, good times, and family. I don't have children, and probably never will (by choice) but I LOVE seeing kids light up at a fireworks show. Heck, adults too. It's great to be surrounded by imagination and whimsy- which are normally completely stamped out of adulthood. We went with some friends a few years back and got to watch one of them see Fantastmic! for the first time. It was a heartwarming moment to know that adults can still have that shock, and awe, and surprise that you forget about as you get older.

My husband is a bigger Disney lover than I am. Always has been. But over the last few years, it's taken a different place for him. He works with emotionally disturbed kids for his job. Lots of mental illness, but also lots, and lots, and LOTS of severe abuse. Abandonment. Lots of kids that are shuffled through the foster system. Disney is a retreat for him from all of that. When we go, it's like taking a giant weight off his shoulders because he can just be the goofy guy he is, without a care in the world, gorging himself on popcorn. And not to sound totally creepy, but being surrounded by all of you parents and your kids brings a smile to his face too- because it's nice to be reminded that there are devoted parents who love their kids and share wonderful experiences with them. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter