Trip to Boston and New York

DisMommyTX

DIS Veteran
I am taking DD17 to visit a couple colleges in NY and Boston in July and would really appreciate some help planning. She loves museums and history, especially the revolutionary time, so the Freedom Trail is a definite must do. Any other suggestions for Boston or places to visit between there and NY? Mansions and nature are not really her vibe, but I'm considering a ferry to P-town or stop in Mystic or New Haven (mostly bc I've never been to any of them!) Any suggestions for areas to stay, tourist traps, or hidden gems are welcome!

We've been to NY a couple times and will definitely spend a few days there before flying back to TX. I'd prefer to avoid renting a car and use Lyft/Taxis, ferry or trains when possible. Amtrak from Boston or New Haven to Penn Station seems like a viable option, but is unchartered territory for us as well. Any tips for routes, tickets, or pitfalls to avoid? Also, if we decide to visit Clark University in Worcester, would you suggest taking the train from Boston or should we just rent a car? Thanks everyone!

My daughter just started grad school at BU, she was also accepted at NYU and she loves NYC. She feels Boston is smaller, calmer, easier. In Manhattan go to a show, see the vessel, walk the highline, stop at Chelsea market, for me the SOL/Ellis island never get old, even if just for the views. Central Park is very cool. I’ve driven to and from Boston, flown, and I prefer Amtrak, so relaxing and nice scenery. ETA, Amtrak rates go up and up, book as early as possible.

Last edited:
I am taking DD17 to visit a couple colleges in NY and Boston in July and would really appreciate some help planning. She loves museums and history, especially the revolutionary time, so the Freedom Trail is a definite must do. Any other suggestions for Boston or places to visit between there and NY? Mansions and nature are not really her vibe, but I'm considering a ferry to P-town or stop in Mystic or New Haven (mostly bc I've never been to any of them!) Any suggestions for areas to stay, tourist traps, or hidden gems are welcome!

We've been to NY a couple times and will definitely spend a few days there before flying back to TX. I'd prefer to avoid renting a car and use Lyft/Taxis, ferry or trains when possible. Amtrak from Boston or New Haven to Penn Station seems like a viable option, but is unchartered territory for us as well. Any tips for routes, tickets, or pitfalls to avoid? Also, if we decide to visit Clark University in Worcester, would you suggest taking the train from Boston or should we just rent a car? Thanks everyone!
Unless Clark is one of her TOP choices I wouldn't make the trip to Worcester... don't get me wrong, there are some very good schools there but the city is nothing to see.

If you are going to visit Clark, rent a car, it's an easy drive. With a car, you can also visit Lexington and Concord, site of the American Revolutionary War.

In Boston definitely hit up the Museum of Fine arts, it's huge and amazing! The Freedom Trail is a must do, plan to have dinner somewhere in the North End (restaurants usually open after 5 pm) but you really can't pick one that's bad. Go to Modern Pastry NOT Mike's and get a lobster tail. You'll thank me. Skip the Aquarium, it's awful, but the harbor walks around there are lots of fun and gorgeous on nice days.

If you're renting a car drive out to Concord and visit the bridge and then hit up Lexington Green. You can walk the Minute Man trail (or part of it) and that's a lot of fun with cool historical markers everywhere and graves of unknown soldiers.

I echo people saying avoid Worcester. There's just nothing out there.

Originally from Salem, MA, went to college in Worcester and now live in Boston. For Clark, you can take the commuter rail to Worcester, you would just need an uber or lyft to get to Clark itself as it's a bit away from Union Station. I will say most people going to college in Worcester tend to stay on/near campus but there are some things to do like catching a WooSox game at Polar Park (way cheaper than Fenway) or there's the Worcester Art Museum over by WPI.

Since you mentioned DD is into history, I would recommend Salem not just for the witch trial stuff (which there is plenty to do just on that) but we also have a long maritime history if that's something you guys would be interested in. You can get to Salem on the commuter rail and the station is right next to downtown where all the touristy things are and everything is within walking distance.

I second trying to get dinner in the North End and going to Modern. The Museum of Fine Arts is great, haven't been to the Aquarium in a while and the Museum of Science tends to be aimed at younger kids. In general, Boston's a ton of fun, I'm sure you guys will have a great time!

Big fan of the Main public library in New York, never been to Cloisters but i think it is history-ish museum but I would google it first.

For Boston if you like pizza look up bostonpizzatours- that was fun and includes history. If you are driving from Boston to NYC look up Mark Twain house in Hartford to see if that could be of interest. A lot depends on how much time you have in each city.

My DD (25) and I went to Boston last August. Our top two things were The Boston Tea Party Museum and sailing on a Tall Ship. We got tickets for the Tall Ship at the plaza outside of the aquarium. I think it was only $88 for the two of us. The best part of that was when we were away from other, motored vessels and all you could hear was the wind in the sails.

On our way home, we stopped in Plymouth, MA. Plymouth Rock is funny to see, but we went onto a model of the Mayflower and toured Plymouth Village. Then, we stopped again in Mystic, CT, before heading home.

The trip was a lot of fun.

My oldest went to Boston University, and continues to live and work in the area. We used to live in NH, so we'd go into the city--in our case, drive to Fitchburg and take the commuter rail in if we didn't drive to Alewife (T station). DD26 LOVES the Museum of Fine Arts--as a family, we prefer Boston Science Museum. This is also one of the places to pick up a Duck Boat Tour (they also leave from the Pru and the aquarium). We got to ride a Red Sox duck boat, and they even let DH steer for a while when it was in the water. They gave him a sticker! He was insufferable for the rest of the day! We just loved the duck boats, and they literally give you a different perspective of Boston. You also can't go wrong with literally any restaurant in the North End--I say this as a first-generation Italian American. BTW, EilonwyWanderer is wrong--Mike's has the best cannoli. In the interest of fairness, however, I would recommend getting some pastries from each place (Mike's and Modern Pastry) and doing your own, unbiased taste test. Then, you'll agree with me! 😜

I would skip Mystic Village, but I grew up in the area, so maybe I'm jaded. I just find it pricey and lame. I'd rather do Sturbridge Village, but there's no good way to get there without a car (maybe on your way to Worcester?). DH and I graduated from WPI, and can echo that there's really not much to see and do in Worcester (although Clark is nice--I took a class in music there, back in the day).

In NYC, you're spoiled for choice for things to do, of course. Two of our favorites were the Museum of Natural History, and riding one of the double-decker tour busses. I believe you can get off at various landmarks, look around, then catch the next bus. We didn't do that, but we really enjoyed seeing the sights. It's surprising how many people wave to you! It was great fun!

Take the commuter train from Boston to Salem. Such a cool town, and great ghost tours if you're into that. In NYC, if you're looking for something different, go down to the Lower East Side and take a tour at the Tenement Museum. They're restored a bunch of the apartments to different time periods, and they take you through and tell you all about the family who lived there at that time. Really immersive and a whole new look at history.

We have a place near Boston now and I have to say that taking that Duck Boat tour was a wonderful way to get a first glimpse. There are beaches very close to this city so it would be good for a student to know how to get to one, it would probably be a combo of train and uber. The Commuter lines can bring you up to Manchester-by-the-sea and many northern towns, just look for Uber when you get to the station because they aren't often walk friendly IMO. Same is true of Southern spots out of South Station.

Not sure about NYC anymore, I hear from people who still have places there that it's changed drastically back to what it was like in the 80's so with that in mind I'd say if you go find a really high end hotel with someone at the desk. In NYC the cheap hotels were never really meant for travelers, that's not their main customer base if you get my drift.

Take the commuter train from Boston to Salem. Such a cool town, and great ghost tours if you're into that. In NYC, if you're looking for something different, go down to the Lower East Side and take a tour at the Tenement Museum. They're restored a bunch of the apartments to different time periods, and they take you through and tell you all about the family who lived there at that time. Really immersive and a whole new look at history.
How cool is this!?!

If my DD finds a job in Boston, I will definitely check this out.

Salem has the wonderful Peabody Essex Museum. One of it's main attraction is Yin Yu Tang, a 200 year old house moved from China and re-erected on museum grounds.

Not sure about Boston, but in NY, I would walk the High Line trail, visit The Metropolitan Art Museum and the Frick, take in a play or two, walk thru Soho, take the subway everywhere including to Brooklyn for their Garden which is gorgeous. Consider one expensive dinner somewhere fun, like the River Cafe, which is under the Brooklyn bridge with incredible views. Also grants tomb is a lovely area and quite interesting and very close to the Columbia campus which is fun to walk around. Its another easy subway ride.

I grew up outside of Boston, took classes at MIT, worked in Kenmore Square. I love the Duck Tours! It's a fun, great way to see the city and the drivers are very knowledgable. I am not a huge fan of the Freedom Trail. Definitely do a docent tour if you are going to do the FT, although it's free to walk the trail yourself- so maybe get a good guidebook and do it? Worcester is not the nicest or safest city, so unless your DD really wants to see/consider Clark, I'm not sure I'd bother. We are big fans of Sturbridge Village, but you'd need to rent a car. I know it's sacrilege to say this, but I am not a huge Salem fan. I grew up in Peabody/Salem and... I don't know. It's all so touristy and over-hyped with the witch thing. There is a great maritime heritage there, though, and it's interesting to walk along the Wharf and Derby St. Many of the historic buildings there don't charge an admission, and you can walk through them yourself. There's also the House of Seven Gables right there along the waterfront. I haven't been in decades- and I'm sure there's a hefty admission fee- but I remember going on a 4th grade field trip and cowering in the hidden staircase, imagining the fear of the settlers who might have had to shelter here from attacks. I know... said I am not a huge Salem fan- I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the Witch-Hype that seems to have taken the town by storm!

OP, I see some negative comments about Worcester, But I want to assure you that Clark is a very good school, my daughter's best friend had a very good experience there.

Lifelong Boston person. Normally I link things but I don’t have time today for everything.

Museum of African American History

The Robert Gould Shaw Monument (Movie: Glory) was just redone and rededicated at the Public Garden:

https://www.wbur.org/news/2022/06/01/restoration-boston-shaw-memorial

Boston Common and Pubic Garden something to see, hang out, relax, take in the city, can ride Swan Boats

If you want to go to the beach there are plenty of beautiful public beaches in South Boston. Be sure to get a quick bite to eat (beach food) at Sullivan’s at Castle Island. Nearby are the JFK and Senator Edward Kennedy Museums.

North End: We’re Bova’s Bakery people. Open 24 hrs. We also love La Famiglia Giorgio restaurant. If you go, one person get a Caesar salad as their meal, and one person get an entree, then share. (Everyone has to get their own there, but so worth it. If you’re going home, then fine to take home leftovers. Kind of hard in a hotel, though.) You might also get a slice of pizza at Pizzeria Regina, opened in 1926 and still has the old style feel.

Didn’t see anyone mention the Fenway Park tour. One of oldest ballparks and still has old time feel. Or catch a ballgame.

I would recommend Plymouth, even spending a night there (John Carver Inn, walk to everything once there; could take Commuter Rail to Plymouth or Kingston and I believe there is a GATRA bus or you could Uber to hotel.) You could walk to beach at Nelson Park. Eat at Wood’s Seafood restaurant, day boat seafood, you can watch it being hauled in. Lobsters, scallops, fried clams, chowdah, etc. Yum. There are also some other nice restaurants on the waterfront and up on the Main Street in town. Lots of colonial buildings that are neat. Ghost tours some of which go into the old (haunted) houses nearby and one of the oldest (haunted) cemeteries in the country. Take a walk along a running stream through the Brewster Gardens up to an old working mill. Forget Plymouth Rock, nothing to see, though the harbor behind it is beautiful. Mayflower is nice, you can tour. Lots of shops. What used to be called Plymouth Plantation is now Plymouth Pawtuxet but it’s a living history museum for Pilgrim and American Indian life. There is also a Pilgrim Museum, and Plymouth Memorial Hall has concerts. (Saw America there recently.) You can do a whale watch or other boat ride out of Plymouth Harbor. Lots to do and see, a nice, walkable town.

https://seeplymouth.com/

If you wanted to Uber to nearby Sandwich, MA, which is at the upper end of Cape Cod, the Heritage Museum is nice this time of year. I don’t think I’d venture down to PTown by car (unless you were going to spend some time on the Cape), but you could take a boat over from Plymouth, too.

https://www.captjohn.com/fast-ferry-ptown/

Enjoy your visit. Honestly I’d keep it mainly to Boston there is so much to see and do, and maybe Plymouth. 😝

Went to college in Boston, spent 15 years living in NY, and now commute in. Boston is an awesome college town. Lots of students around, great environment, and big enough to feel like you are in a city but small enough not to be overwhelming. I LOVED living there. NYC has become really gross in the past several years and now feels truly unsafe in certain areas. I would strongly encourage her to think about Boston for undergrad.

Having said that, if she likes history Sturbridge Village is fun and on the way if you are driving. Keep in mind though that driving in Boston and/or NYC can be stressful and parking is a mess. If you are mostly staying in the cities Amtrak is very easy. Also if you are planning to live "like a local" be sure to bring your sneakers. Real New Yorkers/Bostonians walk everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter