Trip without Genie+ ?

Would you do a week long trip to WDW without ever purchasing Genie+?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • No, No way.

Votes: 49 40.2%

• Total voters
Always refresh for better times and to avoid the 2 hour rule.
How do you avoid the 2 hour rule? Going in January with my adult kids. Hopefully they will be able to navigate G+ for the days we buy it, but how does refreshing avoid the 2 hr rule? I understood that after our first G+ at 7 a.m. everyone had to wait for 2 hrs after park open and every 2 hrs after that to book another.

How do you avoid the 2 hour rule? Going in January with my adult kids. Hopefully they will be able to navigate G+ for the days we buy it, but how does refreshing avoid the 2 hr rule? I understood that after our first G+ at 7 a.m. everyone had to wait for 2 hrs after park open and every 2 hrs after that to book another.

You'll want to read this post in the G+ thread that explains it:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/e...e-please-read-posts-1-7.3856734/post-63463214

Also extremely helpful to check out EarScouts on YouTube. He explains the system better than probably anyone else besides Molly from Mammoth Club.

You can ride your first ride (booked for 9am) and immediately book the earliest next available ride. You can then modify that for a different ride without resetting the clock. I saw Molly do this but I’m not sure she was able to grab a top tier ride doing this.

In the past I just booked say TOT for whatever time available (8 pm when I tried at 11 am) and then kept trying to modify). At a park like HS the 2 hour rule is kind of unavoidable as there are less rides and they quickly jump into pm.

They added the option to modify reservations. This lets you potentially grab a different time without first canceling your reservation. Times can change based off cancellations so keep looking and may get something beter. Its two hours or after you ride attraction. As soon as you tap in for the ride you can book your next reservation.

The issue is if you don’t book some of the rides they may be gone for good like TOT and SDD if you don’t book them for whatever time available.

I went this past weekend, 1 day with Genie+ and 2 without it, and I really missed it the days where I didn't have it. With 3 days and not being able to park hop until 2, there are only so many rides you can ropedrop.

We typically get Genie + but if the majority of the day will be other activities (pool time, character meals, shows, etc.) we have skipped it. One option would to be rope drop. A second option would be to use those days to hit the Individual Lightening Lane rides (still an expense obv.)

I voted Yes, but we have done Genie more often than not. Reason being: we cram our park days, and then have down days in between. It’s nice to have days where you never leave your resort, so we get Hoppers and Genie, and will ILL if something is worth it (like Guardians), and will be able to hit up basically all the rides we want in two parks.

But you definitely don’t need it to enjoy the parks on a long stay. If you’re on site, on a 7-10 day ticket, and don’t need to “maximize” a small number of park days, it’s absolutely extraneous to get Genie.

Hello everyone! My wife and I are planning a trip to Disney in January of 2023. With the increase in Genie+ we've decided we will not be buying the service during our trip. I do have a question for everyone: Can anyone provide a realistic experience of what it will be like to tour each park, with the expectation of riding attractions, without having purchased Genie?

Thanks!
We went mid November and didn’t buy Genie+. It was me, hubby and 22yo son. Honestly, for the most part, it sucked. We ended up having to stand in multiple hour long lines(thankfully the weather was nice) and having a couple incidents where the ride broke down so that’s lost time. We’ve always used fast passes but seeing a lot of complaints about genie + and not getting enough rides for the cost, etc we opted to go old school and not get it. Big mistake. We were all miserable waiting in those long lines and actually ended up doing less rides and staying less time in the parks than we usually do because we were over it after several hours and just went back to the room/pool. We didn’t even shop or eat as much either this time because we spent all our time in lines. If I had it to do all over again we would have just caved and bought genie+ each day. It all depends on what you are used to and how you do the parks as to whether it’s worth it to you or not.

I am on the fence. It makes me mad that I have to pay for a fast pass, after i am paying for resort and park pass. If like to skip it and save the money, but we only go every 5 years or so and DH will be cranky if he has to wait in long lines repeatedly. But we really don't need the added expense.

I am on the fence. It makes me mad that I have to pay for a fast pass, after i am paying for resort and park pass. If like to skip it and save the money, but we only go every 5 years or so and DH will be cranky if he has to wait in long lines repeatedly. But we really don't need the added expense.
I would go off peak season. You can mix it up if you have multiple park days. One day stay until park close and ride rides late (lower waits). Another day rope drop (need to be 45 mins ahead of park opening or 30 mins ahead of resort early Magic morning per allears research to get in the first wave of crowds to have an advantage. Transportation takes extra long (1 hour is recommended; to us it’s just not worth it).

Also book your days so after a genie+ MK day you have an AK day where you can stand in lines (FOP is mostly shaded; Everest has single rider; queue for Lion King is not shaded - go before noon).

If you have genie+ at HS you can take it easy in the morning and keep booking rides for late afternoon (7 am book SDD (will jump past 2 pm quick) then 10/11 am (2 hrs after park opening) book TOT (jumps quickly to 6 pm) then 2 pm book MMRR (MFSR has single rider). We did a late breakfast at Topolinos and then went back to our resort before heading to HS. Mobile order QS dinner and line up for Fantasmic.

If you’re staying at a deluxe hotel, Mon you get extended evening hours at Epcot and Wed at Mk. Make use of those hours instead of Genie+. We booked LLI$ and GOTG VQ (tron was not open yet) and didn’t buy Genie+ on those days.

Last edited:
I would go off peak season. You can mix it up if you have multiple park days. One day stay until park close and ride rides late (lower waits). Another day rope drop (need to be 45 mins ahead of park opening or 30 mins ahead of resort early Magic morning per allears research to get in the first wave of crowds to have an advantage. Transportation takes extra long (1 hour is recommended; to us it’s just not worth it).

Also book your days so after a genie+ MK day you have an AK day where you can stand in lines (FOP is mostly shaded; Everest has single rider; queue for Lion King is not shaded - go before noon).

If you have genie+ at HS you can take it easy in the morning and keep booking rides for late afternoon (7 am book SDD (will jump past 2 pm quick) then 10/11 am (2 hrs after park opening) book TOT (jumps quickly to 6 pm) then 2 pm book MMRR (MFSR has single rider). We did a late breakfast at Topolinos and then went back to our resort before heading to HS. Mobile order QS dinner and line up for Fantasmic.

If you’re staying at a deluxe hotel, Mon you get extended evening hours at Epcot and Wed at Mk. Make use of those hours instead of Genie+. We booked LLI$ and GOTG VQ (tron was not open yet) and didn’t buy Genie+ on those days.
We are planning on going the first week of August and staying at WL, which is a splurge, and we have park hoppers. It will be our first solo trip since our honeymoon. We are celebrating our 25th- which is hard to believe! DH is an early riser and I am a night owl. I don't know how to make rope drop and extended evening hours without being exhausted, even with naps. We always go back to the room for the afternoon. DH needs a break. Right now we have 4 full park days and 1 half day in the a.m., but we may have to forfeit the half day on the last day to come home for a wedding. We don't ride everything, but do ride most things, but I know that some parks have less offerings than others.

Thank you for the tips and advice!

We are planning on going the first week of August and staying at WL, which is a splurge, and we have park hoppers. It will be our first solo trip since our honeymoon. We are celebrating our 25th- which is hard to believe! DH is an early riser and I am a night owl. I don't know how to make rope drop and extended evening hours without being exhausted, even with naps. We always go back to the room for the afternoon. DH needs a break. Right now we have 4 full park days and 1 half day in the a.m., but we may have to forfeit the half day on the last day to come home for a wedding. We don't ride everything, but do ride most things, but I know that some parks have less offerings than others.

Thank you for the tips and advice!
We have 3 kids and we are in a different time zone (cst). One of us (me) gets up at 6:45 am to get Genie+ and everyone else starts slowly getting ready after that. We order groceries so some of us can have breakfast while the others are getting ready. The 2 bathrooms at AOA are essential (changed our upcoming trip for BRV deluxe studio to AOA suite - similar price). We don’t usually enter the parks until 9:45 am. We usually eat QS lunch and then head back for a break and have a couple of passes booked for the evening when we go back (5-9 pm). We usually have table service dinners booked so they take up 1.5-2 hrs out of the evening (kids allergies so even QS takes over an hour). We don’t buy park hoppers as we use the shorter AK days to rest. Kids can stay up late but we can’t do extended evening hours esp since Disney routinely adds hours 2 weeks before and changes the extended hours to 11-1 am.

In your case, the extra evening hours would be great to hit many of the rides. I wouldn’t do an early magic morning and extended evening hours on the same day.

Last edited:
Just returned from 7 nights at VGF w/o purchasing Genie+, I was surprised at the lack of wait times in all parks except MK. Even at MK, the waits were not what they have been, although they were longer than I would wait in standby for some of the rides. Either the crowds were way down, or visitors weren't willing to spend the money to visit the other parks. As a visitor for 15-30 days a year since 1992, I have never walked on rides in the middle of the day. This time, I walked on each of Star Tours in HS and The Safari Ride at AK twice. I mean right up to the loading line. Soarin' was also a walk-on at EPCOT. Other rides were not that crowded in HS, AK, and EPCOT. The only long line at HS was Slinky Dog. Even at MK, I only waited 20 minutes for Jungle Cruise and The Little Mermaid ride. During EEH at MK, I was also able to walk on Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, and Buzz Lightyear. I was shocked.

Obviously, one never knows the crowd levels until you are there, and we do not ride the coasters anymore, but you can get on many rides and see shows w/o Genie+.

The biggest advice I give folks is if your going to spend all the hundreds of dollars it takes to do Disney cheap out on the souvenirs not Genie +. I have been able to get like 8-10 skip the line passes with Genie in one day. It makes your day so much less stressful and more fulfilling. Don't ruin your day to save 20-30 bucks.
We’ve been able to utilize Genie+ that way at DLR. Very easy to do 8-10 rides in a day. I absolutely love G+ at DLR so I hope it’s just as good for us at WDW. For the record, I didn’t like fast pass plus and having to book rides months out. That’s why we stopped going to WDW back in the day. Genie+ feels much more like the old school fast pass to me and we’ll worth the premium.

We’ve been able to utilize Genie+ that way at DLR. Very easy to do 8-10 rides in a day. I absolutely love G+ at DLR so I hope it’s just as good for us at WDW. For the record, I didn’t like fast pass plus and having to book rides months out. That’s why we stopped going to WDW back in the day. Genie+ feels much more like the old school fast pass to me and well worth the premium.
You can certainly get 8-10 at MK but the top rides are harder to book vs DL due to demand) should get easier now that crowds are lower vs last year. We’ve done that even with a mid day break. Allears did an analysis and Genie+ saves you around 3 hours of standing in lines.

HS is challenging but expect to book the top 3-4 rides (saving 3 hours) and 1-2 filler attractions.

FP+ only allowed 1 tier 1 ride but we loved it (always stayed on property, used extra magic hours and have small kids so scheduled passes and not having to look down at our phones constantly worked better for us). When we were testing FP+ with printed tickets we rode 20+ rides in a day (only had one kid - 6 year old).

Despite the negatives we don’t go to Mk or HS without Genie+ except on extended evenings.

Last edited:
Some friends of ours are there on our DVC points this week. No G+, though I think they bought an Individual Lightning lane for Remy. They did Tron, and Guardians via virtual queue, and MFSR via rope-drop. Otherwise they've taken their time arriving at the parks, and they've literally just been strolling and whatever has a reasonable wait time, they've done it.

It's a lot more feasible with a smaller group (this is a couple), but it really just comes down to expectations/wants. If you feel like you MUST ride all the headliners, you *might* be able to get it done by combining rope-drop, virtual queue, and extended hours if you're staying deluxe, and/or G+ because there are just not enough hours in the day to wait in the standby line for all the heavy-hitters.

If you'd just like to have a nice vacation and can narrow down your "musts" to a couple, you'll have a lovely time without it.

And don’t leave when storms start. Grab a poncho and you’ll find the lowest waits (right now people with kids are probably taking a mid day break). Many rides are around 30 mins right now (BTM, POC).

And don’t leave when storms start. Grab a poncho and you’ll find the lowest waits (right now people with kids are probably taking a mid day break). Many rides are around 30 mins right now (BTM, POC).
Good point too! Last September we packed legit Columbia rain jackets and a baseball cap on a day that forecast rain, and ended up doing Food and Wine in an almost empty Epcot. The hat keeps the rain off your face, and you can even put it on top of a poncho to maximize efficiency. Also - don't wear sneakers/socks that day - stick to sandals. Wet feet = misery.

We’ve been able to utilize Genie+ that way at DLR. Very easy to do 8-10 rides in a day. I absolutely love G+ at DLR so I hope it’s just as good for us at WDW. For the record, I didn’t like fast pass plus and having to book rides months out. That’s why we stopped going to WDW back in the day. Genie+ feels much more like the old school fast pass to me and we’ll worth the premium.
Just to gauge your expectations, G+ in our experience was far better at DL than it is at WDW. DL tends to be many local guests who choose not to purchase it but WDW is more of a destination vacation so it is purchased by more guests who budget it as part of their vacation funds. Return times at WDW are often further out than they are at DL.

You can set some expectations by looking at LL return times on MDE. I will say I just looked now and return times for LL are very favourable today. It really will depend on how busy the parks are the days you go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter