Troll's Trip Report

Has nothing to do with A/C. Dogs can claw thru canvas walls in just a matter of seconds.
Many pets have "separation anxiety",,and then others just get upset hearing people or other animals outside, and again,,right thru the canva.
I'm sure this rarely happens when the owner is at the camper,,but when the owner is gone, then ya just don't know :confused3.

In my mind it's more of a safety issue for my pet,,I'd hate for her to get out when we weren't there,,lord knows what all could happen to her.,,I'd rather not imagine.
I TOTALLY agree. The major reason my husband and I bought a motorbike vs a pop up was because of our dobes. Even though we crate them while we are gone. I don't want any animal (human included) to be able to have easy access. I realize breaking into a motorhome is not difficult, but I believe cutting into or easing off the fabric of a popup is less difficult. Plus we hope to visit the mountains and other areas with large wildlife.

As stated in the rule, if your pop-up has AC, no problem having your dog stay with you.

As stated in the rule, you can't have pets on the partial hook up loops, so you would still need to reserve a full hook up or preferred or premium pet loop.

TCD
Thanks for the clarification. :)

I TOTALLY agree. The major reason my husband and I bought a motorbike vs a pop up was because of our dobes. Even though we crate them while we are gone. I don't want any animal (human included) to be able to have easy access. I realize breaking into a motorhome is not difficult, but I believe cutting into or easing off the fabric of a popup is less difficult. Plus we hope to visit the mountains and other areas with large wildlife.

First, I apologize to Mr. Troll for the thread hijack.

I wanted to add that I agree with you and Frank that it is a very bad idea to leave a dog unattended in any trailer (pop-up or hybrid) with canvas walls. I would never do that. When we have Rocky along, he is never left unattended.

But, you absolutely can camp at the Fort with your pup in a pop-up or hybrid. And, if you are a risk-taker, you can even leave the dog unattended with the AC running. I wouldn't. But, it's perfectly within the rules if you choose to.

TCD

OK, time for installment 2 of The Troll Trip Report.

My apologies to those hoping for quicker installments. Maybe "live fire" was a bit strong a term. I meant installments will be delivered incrementally as the trip progresses.

There's just so much to do!

Anyway, back to the events.

As I mentioned, we're staying seven nights at FW in the 1900 loop, my departed father Pop's favorite loop. We've been assigned site 1924:

993491-T800600.jpg

We're staying in a rented popup camper.

It's an A-frame Aliner popup:

993489-T800600.jpg

993496-T800600.jpg

That's me setting up camp in the first picture.

Notice that the Aliner popup camper has no soft sides. All hard shell.

It's a piece of cake to set up. A single person can do it easily in less than five minutes.

Now let me get this out of the way: When it comes to backing campers and trailers, I suck. I mean I really, really suck. I just have had zero practice. I understand all the basics well enough -- use your mirrors, hold the bottom of the steering wheel, turn the wheel in the opposite direction than you want the trailer to go, go slow, etc. But that doesn't change the fact that I suck.

So to get the popup in the site, we positioned the backend right as best I could and then I put on the tongue jack wheel and we just pushed the camper by hand into the site!

I know, I know -- newbs.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the first installment, we rented the popup from a military base, since I work on base as a civil servant. The rental rates are great, but as we're about to soon find out, there's a reason why.

For now let's just say that the base's rental facility doesn't run its business the way Kenny from Kenny's Carts does.

Speaking of Kenny's Carts, we have one reserved. So we go pick it up. And here it is:

993486-T800600.jpg

It's in top condition! Kenny's a real professional.

He told us that there's a tendency for people to swipe his carts from their true renters here in FW. Isn't that a shame. In fact, just the night before someone had swiped a cart that had been parked up by the marina. When the true renter arrived to drive away, he was dismayed to discover it had been stolen.

Kenny said this is a very common occurrence. So he told us that if it happens to us, not to panic. He says people steal the carts all the time for joy riding and because they're lazy and don't want to walk. So they ruin someone else's vacation by swiping a cart. He says when it happens, it becomes a game of hide-and-seek to find the lost cart, but he always finds it.

Let's hope that doesn't happen to us.

Anyway, with our Kenny Cart (or is it Kenny Kart?) obtained, we can go about setting up camp.

It's a good thing I brought this:

993523-T800600.jpg

It's my handy-dandy Leatherman Leslie bought me as a Christmas present a few years back. And mine's a real McCoy, not a cheap Chinese knockoff. Every blue blooded camper needs a Leatherman. If you don't have one, I highly recommend them. It came in extra handy while setting up.

It's got a knife in it sharp enough to shave with.

Here I am using it to cut twine for our tarp shelter:

993418-S1700x800.jpg

Here I am again:

993411-T800600.jpg

Notice the stuff. Leslie always makes sure we have everything we need and want. That's a mini fridge in the picture. Newer models of the Aliner popup have a fridge built in.

Ours doesn't. It has an "ice box," which is a fancy word for "cooler."

No thanks.

We were also sure to bring along Zoe's bed and favorite blanket so she has a place to snooze during the day. We set it out for her while we set up so she could relax after that nerve rattling car ride:

993484-T800600.jpg

She doesn't sleep in the bed at night. She sleeps with us, of course. She's queen of the domain. Her bed is just her daytime EZ Boy recliner.

As we continued to set up, something terrible happened. I suffer from migraines. And Leslie is a chronic migraine sufferer. She gets them much, much worse than I do. But wouldn't you know it? In the middle of setting up camp and with daylight running out, I get stricken with a migraine.

So I'm forced to go lie down in the camper for a half hour.

Fortunately if I take migraine medicine right at the outset of a migraine, it goes mostly away. And it did.

So I was back out and finishing the setup.

I hung a tarp from our camper for shade:

993520-T800600.jpg

That's why I was cutting twine. It's a bit hillbilly, but it works!

Pop had a professional canvas shelter with rope and solid steel poles with his camping gear.

I have a Walmart tarp and twine.

If Pop's spirit is along for this ride, he's slumped his shoulders, shaking his head, and heaving a deep sigh of disapproval right now.

Anyway, once the camp is mostly set up, we go inside the camper to clean it out. It was absolutely nasty inside.

A rental. Unfortunately people don't take as good a care of things they rent as they do things they own.

So we busted out the Comet and the Lysol.

And scrubbed away.

As we did this, I suddenly noticed we had visitors...

Insects.

Big, prehistoric looking flying insects.

And a big brown spider on the wall.

Now call me Niles Crane if you want, but I don't like spiders. My aunt was bitten by a brown recluse once and she almost died.

Imagine my discomfort when I saw a brown spider on the wall.

How were the bugs getting in? Did I miss something when popping up the popup? I began to investigate. That's when I discovered this:

993423-T800600.jpg

It might be hard to orient yourself in that picture, but it's a big chunk missing out of the weather stripping that is supposed to seal the popup's walls with its roof. Without it, you're completely open to the elements.

And the bugs.

And the spiders.

And there's whole sections of it missing.

Again, this is not a Kenny Cart operation.

Weather stripping? Who needs weather stripping?

So I'm forced to improvise in a pinch:

993439-T800600.jpg

Yes, that's black trash bag plastic stuffed into the gap.

Anything to thwart the evil brown recluses.

So with that, I'm signing off now, as it's time to take Zoe to the dog park.

Next up:

- I explore my camp site and some of the neighboring sites and discover some odd things.

- I do some comparisons of original FW vs. new.

- Then we do a bit of looping, and I explore the Meadows recreation area.

For a troll you're not half bad. And a good trip report. I'm in. :surfweb: popcorn::

Is there anyone with you? So far we've seen Zoe and a troll. But I like how you have deflected the tent/soft side/dog controversy...Let 'em rant, then show the hard side popup. Pure genius! :worship:

Oh, and we decorate.

Great start to your trip report, you remind me of my grandfather.. he speaks his mind about what ever is on his mind at the moment.. but has a very big heart underneath the "gruffiness" I work on Redstone Arsenal, I will have to see if they do the camper rentals at the MWR here, I really never thought about it, keep on reporting Mr. Troll!

It's my handy-dandy Leatherman Leslie bought me as a Christmas present a few years back. And mine's a real McCoy, not a cheap Chinese knockoff. Every blue blooded camper needs a Leatherman. If you don't have one, I highly recommend them. It came in extra handy while setting up.

It's got a knife in it sharp enough to shave with.

I just have the cheap Chinese knockoff :(

Mine is definitely not sharp enough to shave with.

In fact, mine can barely cut a piece of twine.

If Pop's spirit is along for this ride, he's slumped his shoulders, shaking his head, and heaving a deep sigh of disapproval right now.

I am sure that Pop is looking down on your every move.

And, I doubt that he is the least bit disappointed in you!

In fact, I'll bet he has a huge grin on his face!

This is turning out to be a great trip report.

You know this is going to kill your troll status, don't you?

TCD

Aww, there's no such thing as too hillbilly! Whatever works for you. I'm sure in your journeys through the campground, you will see worse! Also, there are MANY people who suck at backing in a trailer (myself included) We watched a guy take out the site post with his nice new very large motorhome just last week! We like to make a game of it "How many tries will it take this guy to get into his site?"

You're doing a great job, and I'm sure Pop would be thrilled that you're carrying on the camping tradition. My only question is, HAVE you shaved with the leatherman?:lmao:

You had me hooked at Zoe's picture (who looks soooo much like the dog we had when I was a kid)...then here you are camping in an Aliner...so I'm definitely following your report, Norm the Troll :thumbsup2

Nice improv on the missing weatherstripping, BTW.

And for the record, dogs love napping in air conditioned A-frames:

Moose+Hillock+Camping+608.jpg

We took our Aliner to a local state park July 4, 2009 and it was 110 degrees in the shade. Dora the Explorer (the beagle) only wanted to sleep in the air conditioned comfort on my bed. No exploring for her that day. Dogs are smart that way. We hope to bring her to The Fort next year.

Aliners are quite easy to set up. The only drawback is lack of space. It pays to pack light.

Don't feel bad about pushing it into the site. We did the same thing last year with site 1502. It takes a light touch to back a small trailer.

Now let me get this out of the way: When it comes to backing campers and trailers, I suck. I mean I really, really suck. I just have had zero practice. I understand all the basics well enough -- use your mirrors, hold the bottom of the steering wheel, turn the wheel in the opposite direction than you want the trailer to go, go slow, etc. But that doesn't change the fact that I suck.

So to get the popup in the site, we positioned the backend right as best I could and then I put on the tongue jack wheel and we just pushed the camper by hand into the site!

Hey don't feel bad!!! The shorter the camper, the harder it is to back up.

I'm sure you've probably seen my tiny little camper in my avatar. I don't back that thing up if I can help it!!! At 99% of my camping trips I disconnect and push!!!! When I put it up in my garage, I disconnect and push!!!

It's not a bad thing. As a matter of fact it's pretty cool to be able to do that!! It also allows for some pretty neat setups, like turning it sideways so the door is facing the front!!!!!!

It's not a bad thing. As a matter of fact it's pretty cool to be able to do that!! It also allows for some pretty neat setups, like turning it sideways so the door is facing the front!!!!!!

ITA, Carol..I love that we can turn the Aliner at a 90 degree angle at some sites.

Never go camping in Florida in May, June, July, August, or September.

Or October.

Those are the only months I've ever been camping in Florida. We like it. :thumbsup2

Anyway, so we requested Wagon Wheel Way ahead of time and were assured that we would get it. But when the girl at the check-in station handed us our packet, what number did I see?

That's not Wagon Wheel Way.

Close, but not.

So I requested Wagon Wheel Way. She checked the computer. She found site 1924 available. So why hadn't they booked us in the 1900 loop to start with, as they had assured us on the phone?

Loop requests aren't guarantees, so they shouldn't tell you that they are. They're simply requests.

Oh well. At least we got the 1900 loop.

Glad that you got the loop you wanted! :)

I agree. I can't imagine camping without mine.

I don't think so. Your Pop is looking down smiling the entire time from the time you left until the time you get home.

Nice report!

Ok, you've converted me. I'm now a fan of Troll reports.

Much like TCD, my leatherman is the cheap knock off. If I could retrieve the 5 or 6 I've dropped into the lake, while working on my dock/boat, I'd show you why.

Hand baking the trailer.....na.....I don't have a problem with it. Once you plug it in and crack the first beer, nobody can tell who used the vehicle and who didn't. Now.....I'm hoping you don't use the hand truck to pull it out. :)

Enjoying the report. I could only hope my daughter will camp at the fort when she has a family. I'm sure Pop lived and learned too so don't try and be perfect.

One of my biggest fears when I have a rental is bugs and ants. It's so easy for them to get in. I spray under the camper once a week to prevent this and once a month on the inside.

OK, so now we've set up camp. I busted out the fishing poles:

993515-T800600.jpg

And that's when Leslie mentioned she'd like water in the camper. I forgot about that. The Aliner has a water hookup port. You hook up a hose to it. And it works somehow. So I went to hook the hose up to it.

As we were packing before the trip, Leslie asked me, "Do the sites have hoses?" and I said, "Of course they do!"

And they do:

993402-T800600.jpg

Uh oh.

And then I looked at the hose:

993478-T800600.jpg

Double uh oh. Disney cuts off the ends of all the hoses on the sites specifically to prevent dummies like me from hooking up the emergency water to their popup campers.

I don't have a hose.

No water in the Aliner.

So I had to eat some crow on that.

Anyway, I had some time to look around the campsite. TCD mentioned there is lots of water in loop 1900 during the rainy season? I guess there must. Look at all the trees. The roots are exposed:

993403-T800600.jpg

993427-T800600.jpg

993443-T800600.jpg

And look at the back of our site. Look how it drops off:

993494-T800600.jpg

993398-T800600.jpg

Notice the upturned tree in the picture above. Does the water ordinarily come all the way up to the site during the wet season? If yes, my goodness, you're in the marsh! I don't remember loop 1900 being like that. But why else would all the dirt be eroded such that the tree roots would be exposed? Exposed roots are not a good thing during a hurricane.

So I kept looking around. I noticed these weird, ugly black hoses all over the place:

993406-T800600.jpg

993435-T800600.jpg

993522-T800600.jpg

What's up with that? Pop would not approve.

I kept looking around. Then I noticed this tree. It's stained with yellow pollen:

993447-T800600.jpg

I wondered why it was stained yellow, but then it dawned on me: It's a citrus tree! There all over the Fort. Then I noticed this:

993426-T800600.jpg

The ugly black hoses are looped all around these citrus trees. So...is this some crude irrigation system?

Here's another interesting thing. Here's my water hookup:

993402-T800600.jpg

Here's the water hookup on site 1928:

993434-T800600.jpg

Notice the mysterious black hose. It runs down into the ground. It's identical to all the ugly black hoses running throughout the place. There's a clear place to hook up to. Is this the way the irrigation system works? Do they hook a pump up in site 1928?

Odd.

There's holly trees:

993409-T800600.jpg

And what are these, maple trees?

993507-T800600.jpg

But it looks diseased to me.

As I was looking around, Zoe came looking for me:

993476-T800600.jpg

She's my dog. She loves her mama, but she's a daddy's girl.

To answer a previous poster's question, Zoe's some sort of terrier mix. We don't know what. The vet says she's about 3 years old. We're thinking about having her DNA tested to figure out exactly what she is. We rescued her from a shelter. She's the best dog I've ever owned.

She's very popular.

She's even more popular than me.

She's smart, too.

She can count.

Don't believe me? I can prove it.

Anyway, while on site 1928 I noticed these old timbers:

993514-T800600.jpg

They're old. Much older than the timbers on our site.

Maybe they're FW originals!

Maybe not.

I like original stuff.

I like to think that those timbers might be the same very timbers I once stood on when I was 8.

Maybe.

Probably not.

Still to come: I explore the Meadows Recreation Area, we decide on dinner for our first night, and we cook breakfast on an old, old, old Sears & Roebuck camp stove.

You know, one with sharp, jagged, rusty edges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter