TROPICAL STORM KATRINA - This morning's update in FIRST post

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Greetings from The Cave!!! :rolleyes: (storm shutters 80% up).

Update on 11 AM advisory - Thursday, August 25

Hurricane Warnings are in effect from Vero Beach south to Florida City (south of Miami), and including Lake Okeechobee. Other watches and warnings cover most of the rest of South Florida. This is not a strong storm in terms of wind, but it is a very wet and slow-moving storm, so the primary danger will be flooding.

The storm has slowed from 7-8 mph to 5 mph, which is bad news both for South Florida and Disney. Our local meterologists are now saying they doubt if Katrina will reach hurricane intensity prior to landfall, but the more it slows, the more opportunity it has to strengthen.

For the Orlando area, the longer the storm delays, the more time for the steering systems to the north to weaken or move out of the way, and therefore the more likelihood of the storm coming close to WDW.

After passing through South Florida, the course is still somewhat uncertain. It will turn to the north, but the timing and extent of the turn are difficult to predict. Some models call for the storm to move out into the central Gulf of Mexico, but others call for it to turn back to the NE and cross back across Florida from north of Tampa to Jacksonville. The official forecast track is a compromise between those models and is not as confident as we usually hear from the NHC, because the weather patters surrounding the storm are changing and it's not known how rapidly they will change.

Effect on WDW
The sooner the storm turns, and the more NE it turns, the worse for WDW. If the storm moves well out into the Gulf, WDW weather may be very nice this weekend; if it turns north and then northeast as seems likely, weather will be pretty wet. Disney is well within the three-day cone, and it is possible (though not likely) Katrina could pass right over the top of WDW. If that happens, Katrina should be a somewhat-weakened tropical storm, and would be primarily a rain event. The storm is moving fairly slowly (7-8 mph), so whatever happens will take a long time to pass.

Orlando is currently in the 40-60% probability area for tropical storm force winds (39 mph+), and if winds reach those levels, air travel may be affected. Also, I don't know what Disney's policy is, but when winds reach those levels here, we pull all of our buses off the roads.

If you are in, or headed to, WDW, you need to watch this storm. It is not a big, bad storm - and probably will not become one - but it is very likely to cause messy weather at the World.

For accurate information without the silly TV hype, turn your TV OFF and go to the National Hurricane Center website at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Hi Jim,

I've been on weatherunderground and the NWS Hurricane Center web site all morning. Looks like it is TS Katrina now and the computer models have it going all over the place.

And we fly in on Friday...

I made a backup flight for Sat just in case our flight is cancelled.

Now I am wondering if I should cancel my Fantasmic dinner package at H&W. I have until this evening to do so without penalty. ANy thoughts?

I am going Sept 9 - so I am definitely watching the weather myself.

Hope it works for you and everyone else who is going to WDW soon.

JandD Mom said:
Hi Jim,

I've been on weatherunderground and the NWS Hurricane Center web site all morning. Looks like it is TS Katrina now and the computer models have it going all over the place.

And we fly in on Friday...

I made a backup flight for Sat just in case our flight is cancelled.

Now I am wondering if I should cancel my Fantasmic dinner package at H&W. I have until this evening to do so without penalty. ANy thoughts?
Right, they just upgraded the system to Tropical Storm Katrina. Some of NHC's stuff says TD 12, but it's a tropical storm now.

Also, HEADS UP ORLANDO! Without getting too technical, the computer models have swung quite a bit to the north this morning. The reason they look "all over the place" is they are changing quite a bit from yesterday, but they only run them once a day.

Two of the four models now predict the storm will move northward through mainland Florida after coming ashore in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area -- passing between Tampa and Orlando. Only one model - the oldest one, run early last evening - now shows the storm going straight across Florida into the central Gulf.

Fearless prediction: watch for a significant change in the projected track with the 11 AM advisories.

this brings back memories of only one year ago asI was watching frances. we went anyway and arrived about two hours before the front desk closed down for twenty four hours. I can still feel the anxiety when I watched the weather channel from Jersey, so I understand what you are all going throught. I would go with the plans and they do make special arrangements on cancellations like waiving fees if it due to weather related issues

We did the same thing last year spending hours on the phone while driving down I-75 trying to get a room anywhere for Saturday night since Frances was rolling in and we weren't scheduled to check-in until Sunday. We finally found a studio at OKW and happily paid the weekend points just so we could get there and be safe as Frances was already blowing through. We stopped at a Publix in Gainseville to load up on some supplies since we assumed we'd be under lockdown for awhile.

Thanks for always keeping us posted Jim! We're not coming until the following week so will be watch for your storm 13 updates. ;)

You have to love SW. The refundable fares are reasonable.

Jim, Do you have link that shows the computer models closer to real time? On Weatherunderground the latest they show is the 8 am run of only one of the models.

I am a weather junkie.

Thanks!

JandD Mom said:
You have to love SW. The refundable fares are reasonable.

Jim, Do you have link that shows the computer models closer to real time? On Weatherunderground the latest they show is the 8 am run of only one of the models.

I am a weather junkie.

Thanks!
Weatherunderground is the site I watch. That's a great site. A lot of the models are only run once a day, some at 8 PM, some at 2 AM, and others at 8 AM. They usually have the runs up pretty quickly after they're run.

I don't really pay too much attention to individual runs, but when I see several of them moving in the same direction (even though there might still be a big difference between them), I start paying attention. That's what we're seeing now with the three latest runs, although the latest 3-day cone still shows the storm moving out into the Gulf.

I'm actually a fan of the Canadian Hurricane Center. I like how they superimpose the track on the satellite image. And I'm kinda likin' how the track looks on their site...keeps Katrina south.

http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/weather/hurricane/current6.html

BTW, the reason this storm appeared is because we made plans to go for our first official DVC trip this weekend to celebrate DH's birthday. We were supposed to go last year for Labor Day, but got interrupted by Frances :rolleyes:

chimera said:
I'm actually a fan of the Canadian Hurricane Center. I like how they superimpose the track on the satellite image. And I'm kinda likin' how the track looks on their site...keeps Katrina south.

http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/weather/hurricane/current6.html

BTW, the reason this storm appeared is because we made plans to go for our first official DVC trip this weekend to celebrate DH's birthday. We were supposed to go last year for Labor Day, but got interrupted by Frances :rolleyes:
That is an interesting view, but it's really just the official forecast track superimposed on a satellite image.

If you like that, you ain't seen nothing yet! Go to the NHC site and first click on Satellite Imagery on the left margin. Then, click on Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico under Real Time Geostationary and Polar Imagery on the left margin. Then click visible loop. It will take it a couple of seconds to load, but when it does, it gives you a very nice real-time look (in motion). You can also get a lot of other looks, as well as real-time radar from a variety of places.

OK- I'm not very weather literate! I listen to is since we're in South LA, but don't really understand unless I'm told things very slowly--LOL. So, we are going to WDW 9/30 flying out of New Orleans> Think we'll be ok? Thanks

brandip22 said:
OK- I'm not very weather literate! I listen to is since we're in South LA, but don't really understand unless I'm told things very slowly--LOL. So, we are going to WDW 9/30 flying out of New Orleans> Think we'll be ok? Thanks
This storm will be long gone by the time you visit. It may hit you in LA next week, but it won't exist a month from now.

Whether there will be another one by Sept 30 is anyone's guess.

As far as weather sites for monitoring hurricanes I really like Weather Underground - http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/. What I like is you can see how the various models they talk about are tracking. Plus they have a couple of fellows who have blogs that give their spin on what is going on. Here in NC, we're still waiting for a big one this year. I figure Florida got it last year and we'll get it this year. I just hope we don't get another Fran.

WolfpackFan said:
As far as weather sites for monitoring hurricanes I really like Weather Underground - http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/. What I like is you can see how the various models they talk about are tracking. Plus they have a couple of fellows who have blogs that give their spin on what is going on. Here in NC, we're still waiting for a big one this year. I figure Florida got it last year and we'll get it this year. I just hope we don't get another Fran.
I agree, although I don't read the blogs due to time constraints.

I also find Weatherunderground by far the best website for everyday weather. Weatherunderground really makes the TV weather, including their associated websites, look amateurish.

The only time I look at TV is right when a storm is actually upon us -- THEN, I watch local TV. They are much more knowledgeable and real-time than the networks -- especially CNN and the Weather Channel.

Hopefully nobody will get hit hard this year. We're still recovering from Andrew 13 years ago!

Hey Jim,

How are things down your way?

I have been reading the blogs a little bit. Those guys really have contempt for TV weather and the Weather Channel. It is also funny how they compete with each other to see whose predictions will be true.

That aside, there are some people posting good links. There is one to the FSU web site that shows the current model runs long before WU does.

I really think WDW will be okay, and likely VB as well.
While a slow mover will give it a chance to intensify, it will also give it lots of time to poop out while over land before it reaches the WDW area.
The projected track also appears to be a bit south of VB and WDW, but that is by no means a certainty.

A small, possibly cat 1, tracking south of WDW/VB, slow mover...
To early tp breath a sigh of relief, but I'm hopefull. Of course I'm only thinking of us Disney folks. There are many other innocent folks in it's path.

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter