Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

We are scheduled to fly home from Orlando late Wednesday night. With updates forecast that likely would not happen. Have Halloween party tickets Tuesday. What would you do eat the money and leave early and try to get refund? Or leave later than planned? Gah

We are scheduled to fly home from Orlando late Wednesday night. With updates forecast that likely would not happen. Have Halloween party tickets Tuesday. What would you do eat the money and leave early and try to get refund? Or leave later than planned? Gah
Having grown up in FL I would wait until Monday to make a decision. Hurricanes are notorious for slowing down (although some don't of course). Cones can also change completely in that time period.

If you are uncomfortable waiting that long watch for when the airlines offer free flight changes and book your change immediately before they sell out.

Having grown up in FL I would wait until Monday to make a decision. Hurricanes are notorious for slowing down (although some don't of course). Cones can also change completely in that time period.

If you are uncomfortable waiting that long watch for when the airlines offer free flight changes and book your change immediately before they sell out.
We will do that- don't get off wish ship until Monday morning. If it plays out should we leave early? Worried about losing money for hotel for one night & party tickets which I know sounds silly considering

We had a terrific experience one year when we were there and there was a storm threat that never materialized. Many people cancelled/left early. Parks were very empty. Not a terrific strategy, but it just happened like that.

Tropical Depression Nine formed early Friday morning over the central Caribbean Sea and will likely become the next tropical storm -- named Hermine, according to the National Hurricane Center.
This system has meteorologists' attention because both the American and European weather forecasting models show it developing into a hurricane and entering the Gulf of Mexico early next week.Screenshot_20220923_065254.jpg

Yay… well hopefully this thing goes over Orlando on Tuesday and is gone by Wed.

Hi everyone!

So talk to me about hurricane season at Disney. I live on the gulf coast and am more than familiar with hurricane season. What I am not familiar with is hurricane season at Disney. There is a tropical wave we are keeping track of that could impact the gulf coast next week around the time we leave. Is this something we should be concerned about? I know Disney has a FAQ section for hurricane policies but what I am wondering is has anyone had any experience with tropical storms and hurricanes at Disney.
Thank you in advance!
My south Florida friends actually evacuated to Disney every time a storm was heading their way. Best place to be! It will have to be bad to shut "the world" down but if they do they will move quickly to secure things, even folding down big signs on the roads so they are not damaged. They will keep you in the loop, let you know what you can & can't do, make sure there is food available to you .... but Disney is rarely ground zero.

One storm by time my friends woke up there was a flurry of CMs cleaning up all debris & damage getting the pools ready for guests.

PS If parks open they are usually quite empty so pack your water tolerant shoes and clothing and have fun!

As a local, I’m preparing for the what ifs. However, I know the track is going to flip flop. And while it’s frustrating not to have specific details, I know they won’t come for a few more days. And then it can still flip flop. My dh, ds, and dil, all will be working during whatever this weather event turns out to be.

We bought water this morning. We’ll trim branches that are touching the house, needs done anyway.

But other than that, we’re in a wait and see period.

Hi everyone!

So talk to me about hurricane season at Disney. I live on the gulf coast and am more than familiar with hurricane season. What I am not familiar with is hurricane season at Disney. There is a tropical wave we are keeping track of that could impact the gulf coast next week around the time we leave. Is this something we should be concerned about? I know Disney has a FAQ section for hurricane policies but what I am wondering is has anyone had any experience with tropical storms and hurricanes at Disney.
Thank you in advance!
Ok. So it has been more than 12 years since I weathered a hurricane at Disney, but when our 24 year old was about 15 mos old, we did a maiden voyage on a Disney Cruise ship (like it's second trip out?) and we were sailing during a hurricane. Everyone on board (including crew) was sick, but our 1 year old, who had just started walking about 2 weeks prior so the rocking was nothing. Disney did make sure we were well cared for, took us around the hurricane, had extra activities on board and freebies, etc. Another time, when that same 24 year old was about 7 or 8, we were at DisneyWorld and staying at the Pop Century. They closed the parks at 2 pm when the hurricane was expected to hit that evening late. Told everyone to go to their rooms and one of the CM's told us to grab some park snacks to eat in the room on our way out. We did and then we ordered 2 pizzas some sodas delivered to the room and had a hurricane party with the kids in our room. Disney called to check on us the entire time, making sure we were okay and then they also had the food court open. If anyone was feeling unsafe in their rooms, they told us we were welcome to come to the main building, which many did, but we , having been raised in S. Texas in the 60's, 70's and 80's were aware of hurricanes and what happens. Disney does it in style. I would say def don't skip your trip. The next day, the parks opened by 2 or so and they were sparkling clean! CMs were helpful and fun.

Having cancelled a trip when Irma was scheduled to arrive the day after me, hind sight being 20/20 we should have gone. As others have said, people evacuate TO Disney as it's a safe place to be. If it were me and I had the time and finances, I would plan to extend my trip if needed and stay the extra day or two. But, it's a personal decision and as others have said, too early to know now.

Hey everyone, my friend & I will be at WDW Mon - Fri, 9/26 - 9/30. We’re getting prepared with our ponchos, waterproof shoes, etc. 😃

We’re staying at Pop and plan on taking the skyliner to EP and DHS. Will the skyliner still operate if it is super rainy and/or windy? Does anyone have experience or knowledge on this? Thanks so much!!

Hey everyone, my friend & I will be at WDW Mon - Fri, 9/26 - 9/30. We’re getting prepared with our ponchos, waterproof shoes, etc. 😃

We’re staying at Pop and plan on taking the skyliner to EP and DHS. Will the skyliner still operate if it is super rainy and/or windy? Does anyone have experience or knowledge on this? Thanks so much!!
Skyliner will close if it’s too windy.

We did cancel. We were scheduled to fly in mid-day Tuesday. Even if FL doesn't take a direct hit, the rain and wind will probably be strong, and we did not want to deal with those conditions. Cost of party tickets will be available for use next year, and we were able to cancel the room-only reservation, so we were ok with cancelling. I know that others may have more issues to consider, so for those who are going next week, I hope things are not too bad and you are all able to have great trips! Stay safe.

We have decided to go for it. Forecast is predicting it to hit Wed, and as of right now Orlando is on the west side so hoping that continues. That is the best side to be on.
Awesome Just remember the track changes path and prediction models change every 6 hours I'm trying to leave Orlando Monday and come back Wednesday. first notice it said Tuesday at midnight now it's saying wed at noon. I'm too of a wait and see method living here for so long.

We did cancel. We were scheduled to fly in mid-day Tuesday. Even if FL doesn't take a direct hit, the rain and wind will probably be strong, and we did not want to deal with those conditions. Cost of party tickets will be available for use next year, and we were able to cancel the room-only reservation, so we were ok with cancelling. I know that others may have more issues to consider, so for those who are going next week, I hope things are not too bad and you are all able to have great trips! Stay safe.

Did you have trip insurance?

We had a terrific experience one year when we were there and there was a storm threat that never materialized. Many people cancelled/left early. Parks were very empty. Not a terrific strategy, but it just happened like that.
Same. We went in 2019 the weekend Galaxy Edge opened and Dorian was suppose to come. It was as empty as I have ever seen. We were prepared to leave early if needed (we drove but did not want to get stuck in evacuation traffic or gas shortages).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter