• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two Queen Beds in 1 Bedroom Villas?

Terry S

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Is it just me, or does anyone else think 2 Queen Beds in some of the 1 Bedroom Villas would be nice? If they are worried about more than 4 people in the room just don't make the couch in the Living Room a pull out. My reasons our that first of all I don't want a studio, I want the advantage of the added room, the washer and dryer and the kitchen. But we are a family of 4 with 2 small kids. I don't want my kids in a separate room. I also think it is inconvienant to have to pull out the couch and put it back together everyday. My last reason is that a pull out is just not as comfortable as a bed. Does anyone else think this is a good idea or does it work okay having the pull-out? I am not yet a DVC member, I will be when BCV opens. Is there anywhere I could make this suggestion?

I do agree with you on some points. Pull out beds are very uncomfortable, especially for adults. It would be nice to be able to put 4 adults comfortably in a 1 bedroom. As far as the kids, they could care less. Plus we all sleep better not in the same room. We don't sleep together at home, DH and I do not want to sleep with kids on vacation,

As for having only 4 in a room, I wish they would put 2 queens and a pull out in some 1 bedrooms. We are a family of five and a 2 bedroom is too big. Our kids are 10, 6, and 5. 6 and 5 yo are still small enough to sleep on the love seat comfortably. We have never done it and alway get a 2 bedroom, but we might just get a 1 bedroom for our March trip. Please, no lectures. I do not want this thread to start WW3. This is just my opinion.

I also would like to see two queens/doubles even in the bedroom. We are a family of three, DD is only 3 yrs old. It would be nice to have her in her "own" bed in the room as opposed to sleeping in the king bed with us. Obviously we don't go nite nite at the same time she does and I also don't like to pull out the couch. Without adding to WW3;) I think it would really help those families of 5 w/ small children. If I was lucky enough to have more children, I wouldn't want to have to rent a two bedroom because of one small child.

We (just 2 of us) really like the king sized bed. We sleep on one at home, and when we go on vacation, it is very hard to go to a queen size. However, I can understand why some families would like the 2 queens.

If you want the kids to sleep in the room with you but like to use the living room when they are in bed, why not bring an airbed for them? We did that once when we had 2 small children along of opposite sexes who didn't want to sleep together. This was in a 2 bedroom, but we just put one in the bed and one on the airbed. Worked great, and we still got to use the living room when the kids were in bed.

I like the king for myself and DW, but I can see how some people don't want to let their children out of their sight and let them sleep in another room, Like you said, if they did put in the two queen beds, then they would also have to take out the sleeper sofa otherwise people would then start having 6 people in the room.

And what happens if you choose the one bedroom and there are not any of the type of bedrooms you are needing, (you want the king bed and there are none left)

I think in the name of conformity that it is bestthat all the one-bedrooms are all the same to prevent problems like I mention.

The layout of the master bedroom in the 1, 2 and 3BR villas is not really large enough to fit 2 queen beds, so unless DVC decides to design future resorts with this in mind, it's not likely to happen with the current resorts.

Those that would prefer a different room type may want to let DVD know of their desire for larger accommodations in future resorts. Perhaps they would consider this if enough requests are received.

Good Luck!

Doc, I guess that is what I was asking. Exactly who would I contact. I don't think the salesrep I have been dealing with would be. How about membership services. Is there a number for that? I not even sure since I am not a member yet if they would take a suggestion from me, but I could try.

If we were going to change the bedding I would prefer that OKW add the same arrangement at the other resorts. I would want the studio or second bedroom to have a couch and a bed rather than two beds.

It would be nice if you could ask for your preference!

Linda

I also find it odd that a studio and 1 bedroom sleep the same amount of people.
That is all I will say, as to not start a debate here.

Exactly who would I contact. I don't think the salesrep I have been dealing with would be. How about membership services.

Member Services would NOT be the place to make a suggestion about a future resort. Your vacation guide would likely be the best starting place to pass on information like this.

The design and layout (and occupancy) of the DVC resorts is consistant with most all other timeshare resorts. The fact that studios and 1BR's have the same occupancy is very normal for the industry. These decisions are not based on physical room size, but more on style and comfort for those who will use the facility.

Since most timeshares have traditionally been sold in 7 day blocks, the design reflects a comfortable living setting for a time period which sets it off from a typical motel room. These standards were carried over for DVC resorts ( after all it actually IS a timeshare).

Most timeshares have been sold as 2BR units. (Some can be used as a lock-off- like DVC). Again, the standards of the industry which DVC is a part of were used in the planning and design.

It is unlikely you find many (if any) other timeshares with 2 queens in the master bedroom (many don't even have the king- some have a double). DVC is at the top of the list with amenities provided.

Please contact your guide and see if he/she can suggest someone for you to contact about a different layout, but don't be surprised if your request doesn't get too far. The industry itself has looked at these same issues for years and the present format has served them well.

If there is a groundswell of support for a different design, I'm sure someone will create it to fill the need, but don't be surprised if that type of change is an uphill battle. Also, don't be surprised to find that your ideas represent those of a small minority. As I said above, the timeshare industry has looked at all of these issues for over 20 years now and concluded that the format in place serves their buyers the best.

Good Luck!

Wow - interesting thread, and this topic is something I never pondered, lol!

Frankly, I can't imagine *wanting* your kids to sleep in the same room with you on vacation <g> - just as I never put my son in our bedroom at home! Vacations are a great time for some :::ahem::: privacy! For me part of the "home away from home" feel is that I'm not staying in a hotel room with 2 beds in the bedroom....I don't have a 2nd bed for anyone in my bedroom at home, and don't want one on vacation.

I have brought an inflatable matress & some sheets when I've booked a 1 br unit & had a guest using the sleep sofa. On those trips my son slept on the air mattress on the floor in my bedroom, and during the day we slid it under the bed.

We've always found the sleep sofa easier to make in the morning than a bed - just fold it up & put the cushions back on. No getting a bedspread lined up and lumps smoothed out under the sheets <g>. I don't imagine they're very comfortable, but since it's my dvc I don't have to worry about sleeping on it! None of my guests have commented that it was uncomfortable, except one person (who complained about just about everything on the only dvc trip she'll ever take).

If they did decide to add some 1br's with different bedding, I wouldn't care - as long as I would be able to specify a king bedroom when I book that size unit.

Thanks for the information. It was just a thought, I guess by the responses a bad one! I only wanted the kids in the same room as us for another couple years, they are 4 and 5 now. I was planning on buying enough points for a 2 bedroom anyway so that they could be in a seperate room when they get older without having to pull the living room sofa out everyday. Okay??? Is that a better idea?????

I agree w/ you Terry, and I only have one child, DD who is 3. And we won't be adding to our family :( I still think the option would be a good idea and I would grab two beds in the master in a second!! If I want privacy :) there is always the living room or maybe the bathroom? ;) :p

In our particular situation, I really like the King size bed in the MBR and also the two queens in the 2nd bedroom. We have our two grown, married daughters on vacation with us frequently and they get the queen beds. A queen and a sofa bed would be more difficult for us--but I can see where a couple using a studio might prefer a bed and a sofa. I guess there is really no way to have accommodations that fit the individual needs of everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter