Ugly Christmas Sweater Party - Would you buy one?

BadgerGirl84

I used to have a tag...
My DH and I have been invited to an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. If you didn't already have one, would you go shopping for one or go to the party without one?

Maybe I am being a scrooge, but I am really thinking of me and DH going to the party without the sweaters. I don't feel like going to Goodwill or a Thrift Store to buy one (I barely have my own Christmas shopping done) and I do not own craft supplies to "jazz-up" a sweater I already have.

Not sure if it matters, but the same person who is throwing this party held an "'80s theme" party this past summer where I ended up spending $20 at Goodwill for an outfit as I didn't have anything that looked '80s.

Unless it's Halloween, I'm just not a big fan of dressing up!

I'm sure the host would like to have us there regardless, but would it seem "rude" to show up without the sweater? Not sure if this matters either, but it's also a "potluck" party where the guests have been reminded multiple times to bring a dish to pass.

The Goodwill stores in this area have extra volunteers combing the new donations looking for ugly Christmas sweaters, they are charging a premium for them.

If you have a red or green or white sweater, just use some felt to make some goofy decals and stick them on temporarily with double-sided tape, or tack them with thread. Nothing uglier than tacked on and deliberately badly drawn felt poinsettias, you know. ;) You can get some felt squares at Wally World for under $1.

I wouldn't go out and buy another sweater. I would just wear a sweater/sweatshirt and maybe ask your friends/coworkers if they have any Christmas pins that you would borrow. Just put a cluster of Christmas pins on the shoulder and maybe some big blingy earrings and big red and green bow in your hair.

A relative of my niece bought red and green sweaters at Goodwill all year, and then decorated them as tacky as she could imagine, and has been selling them on ebay for $40-60 each. She has sold 60 out of the 100 she made. I do not understand this craze or anyone who would spend $40 on a sweater they might wear to one party a year.

However, I would either do as people above said, and make something yourself, or not go. If the entire point of the party is an ugly sweater party, I think it's totally reasonable to not want to participate, but I'd probably stay home rather than stand out as the person who didn't participate.

But that's just me - I tend to not want to draw attention to myself.

If you really want to go, just wear one of your own sweaters and maybe use some garland as a boa or like the previous poster suggested just put some pins on it. You don't have to do too much, I'm sure they'll be happy with whatever you come up with.

Too bad I'm such a good closet-purger! I am not a sweater-wearer (I think they make me look chunky around the middle--like with that muffin-top look!) and I literally just have a brown cardigan, leopard-print cardigan, and a blue cardigan. All of which are cardigans that are worn open and not buttoned. Also don't have any non-hooded sweatshirts.

I do have an old red blazer that I wore once when I went as Sarah Palin for Halloween...maybe I will tape some Christmas bows to that and call it a day.

I don't have any Christmas pins, nor do I know anyone that does. Good idea though!

I think you should get a plain T-shirt, and write on it in sharpie: "This IS my ugly sweater."

I don't think it's rude, but I'd be offended if a bunch of my guests didn't wear the ugly sweater. But I guess one or two would be alright. That probably doesn't help lol. But I'd just go to the Goodwill to get one since I'm too lazy to make one (but that sounds like a great idea).

I think you should get a plain T-shirt, and write on it in sharpie: "This IS my ugly sweater."

:rotfl:LOL.. Funny, but I wouldn't waste a t shirt by writing on it. I would just use a sticker with that written on it.

I would hope the point of the party is enjoying the people that come, not the ugly sweaters. Just wear what you want and enjoy yourself. Times are too hard to be wasting your money on unnecessary sweaters you don't like and will only wear once. I wouldn't have dressed for the 80's theme party either. I'm sure they will just be glad you came.

I gave away a bag of ugly sweaters (some with the tag still on) to Goodwill before I heard about the prices that people were getting for them. DD went the very next day and found my old sweaters. The price that they were selling for at Goodwill was more than I paid for them at Kohls. :scared1: The teachers at school had planned for to all wear them today.

I haven't cleaned out my closet in years and when I finally do, I gave away a small fortune. At least I get a tax write off.

To the OP, I wouldn't be offended if you came out of costume. DD stopped at Walmart yesterday and was able to find a long sleeve themed t-shirt for $5.00

I would hope the point of the party is enjoying the people that come, not the ugly sweaters. Just wear what you want and enjoy yourself. Times are too hard to be wasting your money on unnecessary sweaters you don't like and will only wear once. I wouldn't have dressed for the 80's theme party either. I'm sure they will just be glad you came.

YES. I share the same thoughts on throwing a party. We had our Christmas party last Saturday (first big dinner party we've had as newlyweds) and on the invitation I wrote (informal, since it was on Facebook and e-mail) that there was no need to dress up or bring a dish to pass because we just wanted to see them and enjoy their company! I didn't want my party to be "work" for anybody.

That said, I am grateful for any party invitation I recieve and I know that there are all different types of parties people like to throw (potluck party, costume party, etc.).

I love those parties !!! However, totally see your point

You could take the blue cart. you mentioned and cut out some small white snow flakes and tape them on.

Or use the red blazer and hang some ornament balls on there, just twist the hook to keep them on.

We had friends that just used a plain red tee of thiers and they must have printed a Santa picture large and just pin it on there. Almost like the turtle neck sweater that was worn on Santa Clause 2.. lol I love those kids movie.

Finally I own something that is the latest style! :rotfl:

Years ago when I began working for a particular firm, a group of us purchased holiday sweaters to wear to the annual office party. I wore the same one every year for about seven years, not only to the party but to work sometimes during the weeks leading up to the holiday. I no longer work for that company. I still have my sweater somewhere. It was in good shape the last time I wore it. I'll have to get it out and start wearing it again.

I wouldn't buy something like this for one person's party. I only make purchases of items I can wear again and again.

Im going to an ugly sweater party on Saturday and I've been to 3 thrift stores in my area and there's not an ugly sweater to be found. Plenty of Halloween stuff though.

I'm sure my friend is going to have one of these every year now, so in about 2 months, I'm going to start looking for my sweater for next year.

I'm actually really hoping to find a vest, because I think it's going to be in the 70's.

To answer your question, if you think you'll be going to this same or other ugly sweater party next year, I'd buy one if I were you. You could try garage sales also.

I'm not really much of a dress up/costume person, but my friend is a photograph nut, so she's really excited about getting a picture with the whole group in their sweaters. So I'm trying my hardest to find one.

I bought one for $3 several years ago off of ebay, and I like to wear it every year! Of course, I don't initially tell people that I know it is the ugliest sweater on earth, and people don't even know what to say! :rotfl2: I bought it for an ugly sweater party, and I'm getting my monies worth.

My son needed an ugly sweater to wear to school tomorrow.

I knew the thrift stores wouldn't have one, and was right.

However, I managed to find a green sweater ($1.00), a very tacky Christmas Stocking ($2.00) and a crocheted door thing with bells on it ($.50).

I ended up creating this monstrosity for him to wear :

100_4569.jpg

I think I did okay on it!

:)

My sil had one last year - I did go to Goodwill, found some more of the plain sweaters, then in the Christmas section found some small fabric wall hanging - we werent in the league of ugly sweaters!

Like the OP said people go all out decorating! :rotfl2:

Think pink - on The Chew Carla had a pink flamingo sweater, she only added some tree decorations (gold balls) but it was the lights she put in her hair that sent her over the top! :rotfl:

I agree with the others, were something you already have - if you have plain red and green sweaters - wear those! (you could safety pin your christmas stocking and viola - done!)

it was no big deal if people didnt have sweaters, in fact my sil had a pile of them if anyone wanted to borrow

- oh, and wear any type of santa claus hat, or elf or reindeer ears - those were a hit as well!

and I spent all year looking - never did find any this past year - and now - and you're right the prices Goodwill is charging is unbelievable - jeans $10, shirts $10 - sweaters $10 - $15! Wow since the economy is so bad, more people are shopping so the demand has increased the prices - who knew i cant afford to shop at goodwill!

To the poster who said her relative made & sold them -genius!

DD17 is going to one and did pay the $10 price at Goodwill - crazy but I think she'll use it a few years. Last year she couldn't find one and asked if I had anything. I still have an old chunky Mexican wool knit sweater that I used to love in college (late 80s)- not Christmas but gray/blue/purple. She wore that and won runner up in the contest. :laughing::rolleyes1 I used to wear that all the time w/black leggings when I was thinner and thought it was a great look! :lmao:

Ugly Christmas Sweater parties kind of make me sad because my mom LOVES Christmas sweaters and has tons of them. Now I feel like people are making fun of her with all of these parties.

She is adorable by the way!

Go to the party and have fun, no matter what you wear!

They had a "Santa Con" thing here last weekend with Santas, Elves, Reindeer, Snowmen, etc all over Manhattan. Anyway, a lot of the young women were dressed with sweaters (or tshirts) with garland wrapped around and small Christmas ornaments, bows, and candy canes pinned to the shirts. It looked really cute and very creative! Maybe you can use one of your hubby's old Ts and do that for each of you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter