Universal for a Non-Rider

jsmla

DIS Veteran
My DH is not a theme park guy. He suffers fairly badly from motion sickness and doesn't enjoy most rides including coasters and simulators. He does, however like Harry Potter. I'm taking advantage of a trip to watch DD run in the Princess Half to show him Universal. Unfortunately, I tend to move from one thrill ride to another when I'm there solo.

I know we'll spend quite a bit of time in the two HP areas but would love to hear about the things that other non-riders enjoy! Using WDW as a reference:
-Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain=great
-Big Thunder Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Mine Train=1 ride is enough. )Depending on the day he can be touch and go with Big Thunder.)
-Space Mountain, Teacups=no, no, no-he can't even watch other people ride the Teacups!
-Things like Star Tours, Forbidden Journey, Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror and Rock-n-Roller Coaster are also no-goes.

Thanks!

I do ride the rides, but I will give some ideas and others can jump in with more.

He will absolutely love the two Potter parks for sure.

In IOA

1. He can take a walking tour of Hogwarts Castle while you ride Forbidden Journey which is also located in the Castle.

2. You can attend the Ollivanders wand show in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

3. The Hogwarts Express train between the two Potter parks is smooth as glass. He will love it.

3. In the Lost Continent is the Poseidon’s Fury (a walk through performance show). Also in the Lost Continent is the “Eighth Voyage of Sinbad show”

4. Jurassic Park Raptor Encounter

In US

5. Blues Brothers show

6. Meet the Transformers

7. Horror Make-up Show

8. Parade

The times for shows and parade will be located on park brochure when you enter.

There are performances in both Hogsmeade (FrogChoir) and in Diagon Alley (Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees) and puppet show The Tales of Beetle Bard.

Surprise him with an interactive wand of his favorite Potter character and he can do magic at all the designated magic spots in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

Take your time and walk through all the areas of Diagon Alley nooks and crannies. There are so many things to see. Knockturn Alley is a favorite location where the shop Borgin and Burkes is located.

Have a great trip pixiedust:

Last edited:
Thanks! I was thinking about doing the parade if it's going to be Mardi Gras themed-it should be interesting for a couple of Louisiana natives. I never thought about his walking through castle-great idea!

I'm also strongly considering purchasing a wand, strictly for our 3 week old granddaughter you understand :D

Does the mystic fountain still “interact” with guests at IoA?
That would be fun!

HP really does have a ton of things to walk around and see as opposed to ride. Diagon Alley shops in particular have little touches like talking displays, easter eggs, and little call backs to the movies. Here is zero shame in grandpa trying out the interactive wands! At least half of the people we saw, including ourselves, were adults using the wands.

The Jurassic Park ride MIGHT also be an option. It’s a smooth boat ride (similar to jungle cruise) for the majority of the ride with one very big, it quick drop at the end. Id put it in the thrill but not motion sensitive category.

The Studios has the blues brothers performances which are always a big hit for us too.

Thank you everyone, I'm taking notes. He enjoys Splash Mountain so Jurassic River Journey is on the list. We're also going to have a nice long lunch each day.

We thought the Animal Actors show was a lot of fun (Studios) and the Sinbad show (IoA) is corny, but one of our favorites!

The ET ride might be okay for him, if he can get through Pirates and Buzz. And Men In Black (almost identical to Buzz). If he doesn’t like that ride, the tour around the area is nice.

Horror Make Up Show is funny, we liked Sinbad really much (my wife and I along with our 8 year old daughter). Poseidon’s fury is all right, but first and foremost just something to do for you guys.

I really enjoy walking around the Dr Seuss land, the rides are geared towards kids.

Hope you guys will have a terrific time!

Adding my 2 cents.

IoA: High in the Sky Trolley ride in Seuss. It is up in the air but moves very slow and you get to see everything.

I am also going to go here and say I think he can do Kong if he can do Splash Mountain. I also can't do too many screens. Journey almost killed me :). But I loved Kong. Even my scared 7 year old loved Kong.

If he can do Mine Train once, he might also be okay with Flight of the Hippogriff. It is a very tame kid roller coaster.

Studios: ET will be no problem for him.

Have fun!

Adding my 2 cents.

IoA: High in the Sky Trolley ride in Seuss. It is up in the air but moves very slow and you get to see everything.

I am also going to go here and say I think he can do Kong if he can do Splash Mountain. I also can't do too many screens. Journey almost killed me :). But I loved Kong. Even my scared 7 year old loved Kong.

If he can do Mine Train once, he might also be okay with Flight of the Hippogriff. It is a very tame kid roller coaster.

Studios: ET will be no problem for him.

Have fun!
Yeah, flight of the Hippogriff is almost slow compared to Mine Train. Great point.

But MIB can spin way more than Buzz. If I recall correctly if another ride vehicle occupant hits the target on your vehicle your vehicle will spin. Or maybe I’m making that up. :)

No, that does happen ::yes::........and you can spin a lot!! That’s what hits me on that ride.........and the spinny bit at the end.........

They don't always do that, but he can just walk through the line to see the castle.

I call the walk through a tour, albeit a personal tour (free) to meander at your leisure and look at all everything inside the Castle. Did this when I was there last week. It depends on how busy they are as to how much you see . Last week it was slow so it was basically a walk through of the regular line. In October it was the abbreviated shorter walk through (express line now).

There are a few free tours you can do, too. These can vary, depending on whether or not they have someone available to guide you, but it never hurts to ask:

1. The Mummy - Production Tour
2. Jurassic Park Discovery Center - Nursery Tour
3. MIB - Immigration Tour
4. The Hulk - Gamma Tour
5. Hard Rock Cafe - VIP Tour
6. Race through New York - Studio Tour

I don't ride a lot of things but I always have a blast when we go. Just walking around and soaking in all the wonderful theming is a lot of fun for me. If he's a Harry Potter fan at all you can easily spend a ton of time in those areas, just looking at everything.

To these I would also add Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls. It is very similar to Splash Mountain.
Also be sure to ride the train both directions as the experience is different each direction.

Does he like Kali River Rapids? Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges might appeal to him (it's a little more intense than Kali, but same concept).

Everything in Seuss should be good.

Kang and Kodos in USF is a Dumbo-type ride.

Depending on his tolerance for “screen “ rides, Shrek and Minions offer seats that don’t move. Much easier for us. Also, the pre-show for Jimmy Fallon is worth it even if he doesn’t do the actual ride. Make sure to walk through Feivel’s playground too.
And, of course..the “street performers “ such as the flying fish show, Marilyn and tha band that plays by the Hello Kitty shop. And my personal favorite-the Frog Choir.

There are a few free tours you can do, too. These can vary, depending on whether or not they have someone available to guide you, but it never hurts to ask:

1. The Mummy - Production Tour
2. Jurassic Park Discovery Center - Nursery Tour
3. MIB - Immigration Tour
4. The Hulk - Gamma Tour
5. Hard Rock Cafe - VIP Tour
6. Race through New York - Studio Tour

I don't ride a lot of things but I always have a blast when we go. Just walking around and soaking in all the wonderful theming is a lot of fun for me. If he's a Harry Potter fan at all you can easily spend a ton of time in those areas, just looking at everything.

Thanks for this!

Depending on his tolerance for “screen “ rides, Shrek and Minions offer seats that don’t move. Much easier for us. Also, the pre-show for Jimmy Fallon is worth it even if he doesn’t do the actual ride. Make sure to walk through Feivel’s playground too.
And, of course..the “street performers “ such as the flying fish show, Marilyn and tha band that plays by the Hello Kitty shop. And my personal favorite-the Frog Choir.
He's definitely touch and go with rides like this. He can do Soarin' at WDW but not Star Tours. I've ridden all of the Universal rides and we'll probably start with Kong and hopefully go from there.

MIB is going to be too spinny I think. If he wants to ride Dudley Do Right or Bluto he'll be on his own. In February I feel about cold water the way he he does spinning!

Thanks so much! We're 99% going to see Harry Potter but it will be a bonus if we can see a few of the street shows and maybe even ride a few things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter