(Update post #1-- problem solved!) Oh no! Skirt from Cherry Tree Lane still has security tag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

si-am

DIS Veteran
Happy Update: Went to the mall this morning. Disney store and JC Penney couldn't remove the tag, but Belk did it! So, yay!!

Not sure if this is the right forum... But I was hoping someone here could help!

I received the most generous Christmas gift of a tea cup skirt from my mom for Christmas (she bought it while we were at Disney over Thanksgiving) and I just tried it on and discovered the security tag is still on it! I am devastated. Would the Disney store in the mall be able to remove it?

Should I call Disney merchandising?

This is a pricey skirt so I can't just let it go to waste! Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right forum... But I was hoping someone here could help!

I received the most generous Christmas gift of a tea cup skirt from my mom for Christmas (she bought it while we were at Disney over Thanksgiving) and I just tried it on and discovered the security tag is still on it! I am devastated. Would the Disney store in the mall be able to remove it?

Should I call Disney merchandising?

This is a pricey skirt so I can't just let it go to waste! Thank you for any advice!
I came home with a sweatshirt for my husband and found that thy didn't remove the ink tag. I called them and they emailed me a shipping label. I shipped it back with a copy of the receipt and got it back in a few days with the tag removed.

I came home with a sweatshirt for my husband and found that thy didn't remove the ink tag. I called them and they emailed me a shipping label. I shipped it back with a copy of the receipt and got it back in a few days with the tag removed.

I'm not sure my mom would still have the receipt from a month ago, that's the only problem. I know I bought lots of gifts while we were there and didn't save any of the receipts, myself. Maybe a credit card statement if she charged it? I guess I could call them and see what they say. I am so upset!

Thank you for the advice!

It’s not that hard to remove the tag yourself with some tools. This has happened to us before. Some screwdrivers and wire cutting pliers will do it.

I'm not sure my mom would still have the receipt from a month ago, that's the only problem. I know I bought lots of gifts while we were there and didn't save any of the receipts, myself. Maybe a credit card statement if she charged it? I guess I could call them and see what they say. I am so upset!

Thank you for the advice!
First, don't get upset before there's a reason.
Second, they can probably find the purchase with a tender search - we can do that at my store and we're not as big as Disney.
Third, if all else fails (which I'm sure it won't), JC Penney uses the same tag system and can remove the ink tag for you.

I'd try the Disney store before having to ship it back to get it removed. I would not want to wait to get my skirt back if I could get it done by a trip to the mall. Whatever you do, do not try any of the hacks you see on YouTube. I made a couple attempts with a coat I had from kohls and I couldn't get it off. I didn't have the receipt either but I went back to the store and they took it off for me. I did have it on my online credit card account if I needed to show proof of purchase.

YouTube tutorials for it. I had that happen once with one of the circular kind and there was a tutorial that required using a lighter over a sink. About a minute later, the problem was solved!

YouTube tutorials for it. I had that happen once with one of the circular kind and there was a tutorial that required using a lighter over a sink. About a minute later, the problem was solved!
It’s not that hard to remove the tag yourself with some tools. This has happened to us before. Some screwdrivers and wire cutting pliers will do it.
I was a failure at security tag removal. :badpc: LOL I would be so worried about ruining the skirt.

What type of security tag? There are a few different styles and some are easier to remove than others. If you try to take it into a store that store might not even have the device to remove.

The same thing happened to me as to OP, only my tag was on a duffle bag. It was boxed, and sent to my resort, so I didn't open it until I got home. Went to the local Disney store and they said they couldn't take it off - it had to be done at Disney. Could NOT take it off myself as it said it had dye in it (not sure they are the same now).

@si-am, I would call and send it back. I 'did' have to send a copy of my receipt though. At first they tried to charge ME the shipping and I said 'No Way'!! This was their fault, not mine. Anyway, after some hassling, they 'finally' sent me the shipping charge refund. Hopefully, they do it better now. This was several years ago.

Good luck!! Will be hard without the receipt though.

I had an item from Disney store online arrive with a tag on last year. It was super easy to remove. They use magnetic tags. No tools required at all. Just a strong magnet. It won't damage your clothing to remove it. I even put a video online on my Facebook showing how very easy it was too remove

And don't bother with retail Disney store. They have a different system

Thank you everyone. I sent an email to Disney merchandising, so we'll see what they say. I have JC Penney on my backup list, and I'll check with Mom tomorrow to see if she by any chance has the receipt, only I hate to bring this to her attention because I know she'd be super upset to hear this happened, especially because I really don't think she'd still have a receipt from a month ago.

I've had this happen with local stores before, but it's just a bit more difficult to deal with when it's something bought on vacation 8 hours away!

Ugh, hopefully all will work out!

What type of security tag? There are a few different styles and some are easier to remove than others. If you try to take it into a store that store might not even have the device to remove.

It says it's an ink tag and looks to have two different colors of ink in it. I can imagine they'd go to great lengths to protect the Cherry Tree Lane items, so I'm assuming it wouldn't be simple to remove at home. I'm scared to risk it!

Wrap it in Saran Wrap and put it in the freezer overnight. There are a lot of tips on the internet about how to remove these things. It’s not quick (so they are effective against shoplifting), but it can be done at home.

Wrap it in Saran Wrap and put it in the freezer overnight. There are a lot of tips on the internet about how to remove these things. It’s not quick (so they are effective against shoplifting), but it can be done at home.
Yup, this . .. freeze the ink, wrap the part of the tag with the ink in saran wrap, and work quick to get it off before it melts. I removed one from a dress we bought for my daughter for prom. By the time we realized it was still on there, there was no way we could get back to the store in time. Daughter was in full meltdown mode, and I didn't have the luxury of having time to freeze it, but a bit of care, and some handy work with a dremel cutting disc got the job done.

Same thing happened to me (with the orange bird dress) got it in August to wear on a family cruise over thanksgiving week went to put it on and noticed the tag (idk how I didn’t notice it the dozen or so times I tried it for friends and family prior) cruise staff couldn’t remove it but were locals so they took it off at Disney Springs the following week

I had a tag left on a Duffy Bear I bought for my nephew. I called merchandising and they had me send a copy of a receipt and a picture of Duffy’s pierced ear and then they mailed me a tag free Duffy and told me to keep the old one - but that might be due to the cost of shipping to Canada. I tried my local disney store and a few other local places but no one had tags that matched. I ended up bringing the original Duffy (with his receipt stapled to his tag) to Aulani with me months later and they removed the tag for me so I have a backup Duffy for my nephew.

How useful is a security tag if the skirt got out of the store without it beeping at a screening spot? Why do they even use them nowadays if people get home and find the tag on there, but it didn't set any alarms off at the store?

Reactions: fbb
1) Put skirt in bag
2) Get in your car
3) Drive to Mall
4) Go into random stores and ask if they can remove

The above steps have worked for me on multiple occasions.

I would try the above steps before self removing and before mailing back to Disney. I have had several times where security tags were not removed and never had any problem having another store remove the tag for me. The challenge is if they have the right tools at the register for that particular tag. I am also an annoying customer now where I always double check they took the tags off as they put items in the bag because I have arrived on vacation with a new sweater before to find a security tag. Like I said, happens way to often when the stores are busy or if the cashier is too chatty that they get distracted and forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter