Upgrade To DDP but mainly do QS

DisneyDad50

Earning My Ears
Hi
I currently have free QSDP but was thinking whether to upgrade for 9 night stay. It only takes a few character meals to break even on upgrade cost, but I don’t see us sitting down for TS every day.

Is it an ok plan to upgrade to cover the few meals and just use the remaining TS credits for QS? Or at least to keep option open for TS or QS when we are there?

thanks

I think you would have to do the maths.
You need to spend (on average) $42 per TS credit, $19 per QS credit and $5 per snack to break even if you pay full price for the DDP, if that helps you see whether you are getting value?
Of course, some of the value is in other things besides straight per credit costs, and only you know what that means for you.

I think you would have to do the maths.
You need to spend (on average) $42 per TS credit, $19 per QS credit and $5 per snack to break even if you pay full price for the DDP, if that helps you see whether you are getting value?
Of course, some of the value is in other things besides straight per credit costs, and only you know what that means for you.

Because we got free QSDP it’s only about $50 a day to upgrade us all, so about $450 for our stay. Looking at menus a character meal could cost my family (2A 2C) about $150 and a regular meal around $100.

edit to add, so I guess I’m just asking is it ok to pay QS with TS credits if we prefer as I think there’s only a handful of TS must-dos for us.

Last edited:
Because we got free QSDP it’s only about $50 a day to upgrade us all, so about $450 for our stay. Looking at menus a character meal could cost my family (2A 2C) about $150 and a regular meal around $100.

edit to add, so I guess I’m just asking is it ok to pay QS with TS credits if we prefer as I think there’s only a handful of TS must-dos for us.
I think the answer is yes you can use a TS meal for a QS but not the other way round. You could check by asking on disney's moms panel on their site -they're usually fairly fast at answering :)

If you don’t upgrade, you’ll save $450 which you can use at TS. As you say, that won’t go far if you’re doing buffets. So it’s probably worth it.

But the other thing to consider is that once you upgrade, you’ll be losing that additional QS meal per person per day. For many/most people that’s fine, but if you are big eaters, you may find that you need to pay out of pocket for additional quick service meals. If that’s the case, don’t forget to factor in that additional money as well.

If you don’t upgrade, you’ll save $450 which you can use at TS. As you say, that won’t go far if you’re doing buffets. So it’s probably worth it.

But the other thing to consider is that once you upgrade, you’ll be losing that additional QS meal per person per day. For many/most people that’s fine, but if you are big eaters, you may find that you need to pay out of pocket for additional quick service meals. If that’s the case, don’t forget to factor in that additional money as well.

Surely if they can use the table service meal credit for a QS they won’t be any worse off?

All due respect, @luvpoohandcompany, i trust the responses here more than from the Moms' Panel :)
I agree people here usually know more and I’m fairly certain I’m right when I say a TS credit can be used at a QS location but I was simply erring on the side of caution by saying to check with the moms panel in case things have changed since my last trip

Surely if they can use the table service meal credit for a QS they won’t be any worse off?

It depends. If they’re only planning to do 3 TS meals, that’s roughly $450. It may be better to pay out of pocket If that’s the case. That way they still have their 2 quick service meals per day to use up on top of that. If they’re interested in 4 or more TS meals, it’s probably worth the upgrade. It really depends on where and what they want to eat at the TS meals.

It depends. If they’re only planning to do 3 TS meals, that’s roughly $450. It may be better to pay out of pocket If that’s the case. That way they still have their 2 quick service meals per day to use up on top of that. If they’re interested in 4 or more TS meals, it’s probably worth the upgrade. It really depends on where and what they want to eat at the TS meals.

I never thought about it like that! I always upgrade to the DDP when getting free QSDP, thinking the same way OP does, but never thought about losing the QS meals.

I never thought about it like that! I always upgrade to the DDP when getting free QSDP, thinking the same way OP does, but never thought about losing the QS meals.

I get it now. Never thought of it that way but now I understand what you mean :)

We get the FD QS every year and we stay for two weeks. To upgrade our family of four it would cost us $1400. It’s much cheaper to pay out of pocket for 2 or 3 special meals and pocket the rest, plus we save a fortune on tips by not doing TS each day.

Hi
I currently have free QSDP but was thinking whether to upgrade for 9 night stay. It only takes a few character meals to break even on upgrade cost, but I don’t see us sitting down for TS every day.

Is it an ok plan to upgrade to cover the few meals and just use the remaining TS credits for QS? Or at least to keep option open for TS or QS when we are there?

thanks

I totally understand not wanting an ADR every day and saving on tips (I'm a party of six and get the automatic 18% added), but I also think 9 days is a long time for QS food only. Ultimately, you need to figure out if and what TS meals you really want to do and crunch some numbers. Also figure out if you're doing any EMMs or "enchanting extras" that come with food. Those character meals really add up and make the upgrade a good deal! GL planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter