Upsetting news from Rudy Novatny

roomthreeseventeen

Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
via Facebook:

With only little more than a couple weeks until the Disneyland Half Marathon it’s time for me to respond to all of you that have asked publicly and privately about my schedule and future plans. After ten years of service I have received notice from the West Coast “side” of runDisney that I have been replaced and will no longer serve their sports host team. The email from runDisney was not much more specific than that so I will not have any answers to the questions that many of you may have. It all started with me as a pirate, then Mayor of Mainstreet, Chicken from Toy Story, a Fairy Coach, a Tweedle, and so much more. The real treasured moments though have been time spent with friends and the incredible people I have met and who have made a difference in my life. I have seen many of you make mind blowing transformations in your lives both physically and emotionally. I have seen your babies grow from the diaper dash to the 5K and 10kand beyond. I get ridiculous amounts of credit for encouraging and inspiring when the truth is that you all give me more than I could ever return.

This post is not without some very positive news though so I am very pleased to let you all know that I will still be with the DisneyWorld runDisney sports host team and can’t wait to see you all at Wine and Dine, Marathon “Week”, Princess Half, and Star Wars! Additionally, I have received a wonderful “Welcome Back” from both the Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay and the Carlsbad Marathon/Half right in my hometown. I wish you all the best of every step of every race no matter where or when and look forward to continuing our friendships! Long May You Run!

Need to make a mental note to thank him for all the smiles and encouragement when I'm down for Wine & Dine and Princess. ::yes::

Id like to add that if you listen to Mickey Miles the announcer situation was touched on a bit in the latest podcast.

They had four guys on this particular show who are all RunDisney veterans. Every single one said that with everything RunDisney is doing they are starting to question whether they should continue to do these races. We all pay more and more yet get less and less.

Runners really connect with Rudy at RunDisney races. I'm sure whoever the replacement is won't be bad by a lot of people look forward to him.

I've never even done a RunDisney race in Disneyland and am not currently signed up to do one.

I said it after Tink, but Carissa is the worst. She's like nails on a chalkboard and she says some really dumb things. Many times, her new partner (that took Rudy's place) was like "*crickets* OK, then, well" and on to the next topic.

I had a moment with Rudy at the finale of the marathon of Dopey that I will NEVER forget, so not having him on the West Coast is definitely a loss. But at least we still have him at WDW. That's better than nothing.

I will definitely miss hearing his, "on your mark, get set GOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sure some of the banter was hard to take at 5:00 am, but it was part if the routine.

Last edited:

I only half listen to the announcers anyway & only did DL once...so it's not that big of a deal to me...but cool he'll still be at WDW. I don't mind Carissa.

I only half listen to the announcers anyway & only did DL once...so it's not that big of a deal to me...but cool he'll still be at WDW. I don't mind Carissa.
I agree, except I do find Carissa annoying sometimes. But for the most part I don't really pay attention.

Count me in the "Shrug" club. When I'm in the corrals I'm mostly tuning into what I'm about to do and listening to music. I honestly couldn't remember what the announcers are saying except for a long list of advertisers and "Go!"

I get that people become attached to certain parts of the races, and that each piece is personal, but Rudy not being present at the start line is not something that would keep me from registering for another event. The diminishing amounts of entertainment however.....

ETA: I thought the "new" announcer with Carissa for Tink this year was a good addition... but I may be biased because I see her at more local events aside from RD.

Really disappointed to hear that Rudy won't be at the Disneyland races any more. I agree, I will very much miss hearing his lead up and "Runner ready! On your mark, get set GOOOOOOOOO!!!"

I'm glad he'll still be at the WDW events, but it won't be the same not hearing him at Avengers weekend.

I generally don't pay too much attention to the announcers. I couldn't really tell you which was which but I will say the habit many of them have of coming up with either Disney characters or adjectives for each corral drives me up a wall. I have no idea why it just bothers me.

I generally don't pay too much attention to the announcers. I couldn't really tell you which was which but I will say the habit many of them have of coming up with either Disney characters or adjectives for each corral drives me up a wall. I have no idea why it just bothers me.
I know who Carissa is (the blond) because she's been around for awhile and she also does the DME video (which I also do not enjoy - mostly because I miss the cute one where the characters were checking into the Grand Floridian and all that).

I know who Carissa is (the blond) because she's been around for awhile and she also does the DME video (which I also do not enjoy - mostly because I miss the cute one where the characters were checking into the Grand Floridian and all that).
Ok I'm going to be honest you just made me realize that was Carissa and I feel really stupid I didn't put that together sooner.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one but I enjoy having Carissa as one of the announcers...as I do for Rudy. For me, they both are part of the whole Disney magic for runDisney events. While it's sad Rudy won't be part of the west coast races, I'm glad he's still part of the WDW races...

I enjoy as much silly, cornball banter as they can give me at 5am 4 days in a row lol..

I guess I'm in the minority on this one but I enjoy having Carissa as one of the announcers...as I do for Rudy. For me, they both are part of the whole Disney magic for runDisney events. While it's sad Rudy won't be part of the west coast races, I'm glad he's still part of the WDW races...

Count me as another Carissa fan! I like her. I also met her and an expo and she was very nice.

I enjoy as much silly, cornball banter as they can give me at 5am 4 days in a row lol..

Agreed! It helps pass the time when I'm trying to stay awake in the corral.

After completing the Disneyland HM, I've come to realize Rudy's replacement (Quami) had some tough shoes to fill and probably shouldn't be doing these races. While he tried, I felt he tried almost too hard and maybe not the right person for the job. Rudy not only had the right things to say but worked well with Carissa in past runDisney races. I get it that it's probably early on but being in the public eye, they are subject to heavy scrutiny. runDisney, if you're reading this, I say bring back Rudy for ALL Disney races!

This was also Quami's first time announcing at the races (while he's participated in opening ceremony skits and on the course itself, this was his first time "announcing"), so I say cut him some slack. Of course he won't be perfect or have a groove quite yet. It's a new role for him, it takes time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter