VDH Opening

Given it’s so high, it’s actually better for an owner. Had it been rolled in, it would have been paid by the owners of VDH, whether they used their points there or not.

So, IMO, it is in owners’ favor to have it paid for those who stay at the resort.

Now, thst doesn’t change the fact that Disney walked away years ago from potentially having that tax lower..but, in this case, given it is the rate it is, they did it the most advantageous for owners.
Agreed, we just wish they hadn't taken the high road on the lower rate.

So someone recently bought a 1,250pts contract at VDH and I'm completely fascinated by it.

It's borderline un-sellable on resale, not optimized for incentives (yes, the buyer is likely wealthy and $10k in savings 'might not matter'), can't be broken down if they only need 1000 in the future, etc. I hope their guide at least tried to talk them into smaller contracts, like 5x250 or even 2x625.

I can only speculate they're planning to use them on a Grand Villa. Coincidentally (or not?), a week in a GV around Christmas (and peak Spring Break) is exactly 1,250pts.

Jumping down that rabbit hole: considering there's only 2 GVs, a Favorite Week in a GV will never exist due to the 35% rule. Plus there isn't a FW that always aligns with Christmas, if that's their goal.

And if VDH is like VGC, only one of the GVs will be non-accessible, which could make availability appear even more strained. But if they're savvy to it, this might actually help if they're okay with booking the accessible villa as it's probably in lower demand (and accessible rooms don't show up in searches by default).

I'm concerned that, in addition to the staggering inefficiency of the contract, that they won't be able to book what they want as easily as they might be hoping (or were promised, see: potentially unhelpful guide above). That's a crummy ownership experience for anyone, but especially at such an expense. I hope they're fully prepared to walk their reservation(s) to make their investment worthwhile.

There probably aren't many people who have nearly as many VDH points at them or are targeting GVs, but realistically even 400 available points from just 2 other bookers is enough to out-compete for Grand Villas at any given time. And those 400pts don't have to be from a single contract or UY, so it's actually fairly accessible. And considering how nice the GVs look (at least to me), I wouldn't be surprised if they have outsized popularity compared to their availability (2 of 344 units and 3% of total points).

So someone recently bought a 1,250pts contract at VDH and I'm completely fascinated by it.

It's borderline un-sellable on resale, not optimized for incentives (yes, the buyer is likely wealthy and $10k in savings 'might not matter'), can't be broken down if they only need 1000 in the future, etc. I hope their guide at least tried to talk them into smaller contracts, like 5x250 or even 2x625.

I can only speculate they're planning to use them on a Grand Villa. Coincidentally (or not?), a week in a GV around Christmas (and peak Spring Break) is exactly 1,250pts.

Jumping down that rabbit hole: considering there's only 2 GVs, a Favorite Week in a GV will never exist due to the 35% rule. Plus there isn't a FW that always aligns with Christmas, if that's their goal.

And if VDH is like VGC, only one of the GVs will be non-accessible, which could make availability appear even more strained. But if they're savvy to it, this might actually help if they're okay with booking the accessible villa as it's probably in lower demand (and accessible rooms don't show up in searches by default).

I'm concerned that, in addition to the staggering inefficiency of the contract, that they won't be able to book what they want as easily as they might be hoping (or were promised, see: potentially unhelpful guide above). That's a crummy ownership experience for anyone, but especially at such an expense. I hope they're fully prepared to walk their reservation(s) to make their investment worthwhile.

There probably aren't many people who have nearly as many VDH points at them or are targeting GVs, but realistically even 400 available points from just 2 other bookers is enough to out-compete for Grand Villas at any given time. And those 400pts don't have to be from a single contract or UY, so it's actually fairly accessible. And considering how nice the GVs look (at least to me), I wouldn't be surprised if they have outsized popularity compared to their availability (2 of 344 units and 3% of total points).
I wouldn't be surprised if this person didn't use all their points every year. If they're rich enough, they may not care how their points get used. But you laying out the challenges is stressing ME out. And I'm not even the owner. Trying to plan for my banked points gives me enough anxiety as it is.

Wowzer! Good for them. Go team VDH.

That’s in the $250k+ range. Guessing it was a cash purchase. And almost $14k a year in dues. Maybe they’ll do a 2 bedroom for a month or so. Gotta think they’ll be booking out when the 11 month mark hits.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Wowzer! Good for them. Go team VDH.

That’s in the $250k+ range. Guessing it was a cash purchase. And almost $14k a year in dues. Maybe they’ll do a 2 bedroom for a month or so. Gotta think they’ll be booking out when the 11 month mark hits.

Interesting. Very interesting.

It's probably a movie studio or something that will comp actors or other clients, or maybe the Anaheim Ducks or Angels, etc... I mean I guess it could be Johnny Depp, but im sure he'd rather stay in the Pirates Suite. j/k ;)

The cynic in me thinks that it's probably someone who's just looking to book and rent out reservations. Yes, one is not supposed to make a commercial business of this, but we all know that *those* people are out there and find a way.

It is a fascinating purchase and a natural engine for generating speculation.

My speculative questions: Any chance a purchase like this could’ve gotten special rules written into the contract? Bespoke, approved by “quality”? Could they have waived the 10% points premium for an official Favorite Week and grant custom 12 month window due to its uniqueness?

Someone like Nicholas Cage? He likes to get into trouble with real estate. Rumor was he did a purchase somewhat like that at VGC when it 1st went on sale.

It is a fascinating purchase and a natural engine for generating speculation.

My speculative questions: Any chance a purchase like this could’ve gotten special rules written into the contract? Bespoke, approved by “quality”? Could they have waived the 10% points premium for an official Favorite Week and grant custom 12 month window due to its uniqueness?
I think this all seems pretty unlikely.

1) 1,250 points is a lot, but not A LOT to the point of receiving special treatment. (I own 1,515 and don't think it's a lot, though)
2) I think the biggest barrier to a special treatment Favorite Week is that there's only 2 Grand Villas, which makes them incompatible with the 35% rule for Favorite Weeks. Also one of the two GVs might be an accessible unit, which would make the non-accessible GV 1 of 1.

I think this all seems pretty unlikely.

1) 1,250 points is a lot, but not A LOT to the point of receiving special treatment. (I own 1,515 and don't think it's a lot, though)
2) I think the biggest barrier to a special treatment Favorite Week is that there's only 2 Grand Villas, which makes them incompatible with the 35% rule for Favorite Weeks. Also one of the two GVs might be an accessible unit, which would make the non-accessible GV 1 of 1.
Well, by special “FW”, I mean de facto… for example, a 12 month booking window that the owner has access to. No auto-booking by MS. Therefore no issues with the 35% rule.

There is probably POS rules prohibiting this, but just wondering if anyone knows explicitly.

As for the contract size, I suspect it differs from other large-points owners like you for its, as you put it, “inefficient” nature. Maybe owner was able to negotiate something to balance out its crazy inefficiency?

Reactions: ehh
Well, by special “FW”, I mean de facto… for example, a 12 month booking window that the owner has access to. No auto-booking by MS. Therefore no issues with the 35% rule.

There is probably POS rules prohibiting this, but just wondering if anyone knows explicitly.

As for the contract size, I suspect it differs from other large-points owners like you for its, as you put it, “inefficient” nature. Maybe owner was able to negotiate something to balance out its crazy inefficiency?

Legally, they are not allowed to do that. FL timeshare law, and I am going to assume something similar exists in CA that booking rules for home resort owners must be the same for everyone, no matter how you bought or the number of points you have.

So, they can not give a high point owner a different set of booking rules than your average owner, Basically, the only exception to the current 11 month booking rule is the favorite week booking rules and that is governed by the no more than 35% of rooms on any given use day.

The only rules that can be different are for exchanges into those resorts into which you do not have a deeded interest...ie: the exchanges via BVTC. Even then, that is based on the resort as a whole and could not be based on number of points owned.

Last edited:
Legally, they are not allowed to do that. FL timeshare law, and I am going to assume something similar exists in CA that booking rules for home resort owners must be the same for everyone, no matter how you bought or the number of points you have.

So, they can not give a high point owner a different set of booking rules than your average owner, Basically, the only exception to the current 11 month booking rule is the favorite week booking rules and that is governed by the no more than 35% of rooms on any given use day.

The only rules that can be different are for exchanges into those resorts into which you do not have a deeded interest...ie: the exchanges via BVTC. Even then, that is based on the resort as a whole and even that could not be based on number of points owned.
I knew someone would know the correct answer. Thank you @Sandisw !

Found this 20 minute video by Karen Bee doing the spreadsheet maths comparing DVC resorts. Best I’ve seen explaining the data for the financial cost of VDH purchase including the transient tax costs.

Regardless of owning at VGC or VDH, both are less expensive than the Disney hotel rack rate per night. Of course the counter argument of its always cheaper staying off Disney property is valid.

$DVC points purchase
~150 points
annual dues
transient tax
contract length
Sept stay in a standard studio over the life of the contract

Works out to just under $300/nt over the life of the contract. Of course you can pick your poison for escalation of dues, hotel rack rates, return on investment, cost of capital, etc.

Last edited:
Just got an email that I had to do a new DocuSign. Apparently has to do a previously unanswered question (that maybe wasn't on the original form) whether I am a 100% disabled veteran. Anyone else get this notice? I thought the email was phishing at first but it's real.

View attachment 775946
I got the same email, but my husband did not. Go figure.

What is the favorite week booking rule and the 35%rule? Sorry I've never heard of it before.

Also, are they allowed to sell guaranteed weeks in the GV or do these rules prevent it?

When you buy a favorite week, you are guaranteed to have your room booked ahead of time..about 12 months out.

You pay an extra 10% premium in points for this. If you cancel the week, you get the points back to use as normal.

The POS limits the number of rooms that can be sold for any given day to no more than 35% of that room type and/or view, which leaves 65% of the rooms for other owners at 11 months.

Since there are only two GV at VDH, they can’t sell favorite weeks because it would mean only 50% for regular booking. In this case, they can’t.

Doubt there are all that many who have (or will have) enough points to book a GV for a whole week at Christmas. Guessing it would be easy enough to walk that so I don't think booking one would be a huge problem.

Doubt there are all that many who have (or will have) enough points to book a GV for a whole week at Christmas. Guessing it would be easy enough to walk that so I don't think booking one would be a huge problem.
Don't need a whole week of points to prevent someone else from booking with their whole-week-of-points. Just need 2 people booking at least 2 nights each who are better at booking or more aggressive at walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter