• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegetarians Beware

CRSNDSNY

DIS Veteran
Hubby and I were recently at Columbia Harbour House because we love the Lighthouse sandwich and vegetarian chili. Well, the Vegetarian's Guide to Dining in Disney told us to ask for the grilled chicken salad vegetarian style and they make something special. Well, it's something special all right because halfway through the salad hubby uncovered a couple large pieces of chicken.

They apparantly pick the chicken out of premade salads -- not veggie friendly.

So if you just stick with the Lighthouse sandwich and chili, you'll do just fine!

:sunny:

Thank you for the warning. DS would not be happy if it happened to him!

Yes, we weren't too happy, but DH handled it well. I bit grossed out, but happy when they allowed him to switch his order then to the sandwich and chili.

I think I'm going to write to the authors of the book so they are aware of our experience. They may want to further research this and alter their next book edition because of it. We'll see!

That's like when people peel the pepperoni off a pizza and tell you it's cheese!! yikes.

I had the Mac & Cheese at Columbia Harbour house....it was really good.
I went in for the chili, but could't resist the comfort food.

Karen

Originally posted by karemore
That's like when people peel the pepperoni off a pizza and tell you it's cheese!! yikes.
Karen

Oh yeah, that's happened to me before! Like you can't see the GREASE RINGS from the pepperoni!!!

What if people are allergic to pepperoni or chicken!?!?! I'm pretty sure residue of the food is enough to cause a reaction. My neice and friend are highly allergic to nuts and it's stressful enough making sure they stay away from the obvious items...but things like that you just can't control!

:earseek:

Originally posted by CRSNDSNY
So if you just stick with the Lighthouse sandwich and chili, you'll do just fine!
[/B]

I'm not a vegetarian, but I have to say that I love the Lighthouse sandwich. After having one in June, I discovered my new favorite lunch! We always have a supply of hummous, broocoli slaw and tomatoes in the the house now. Soooo good!

Originally posted by pixiechick
I'm not a vegetarian, but I have to say that I love the Lighthouse sandwich. After having one in June, I discovered my new favorite lunch! We always have a supply of hummous, broocoli slaw and tomatoes in the the house now. Soooo good!
Do you have a recipe for the broccoli slaw?

Originally posted by CRSNDSNY
Hubby and I were recently at Columbia Harbour House because we love the Lighthouse sandwich and vegetarian chili. Well, the Vegetarian's Guide to Dining in Disney told us to ask for the grilled chicken salad vegetarian style and they make something special. Well, it's something special all right because halfway through the salad hubby uncovered a couple large pieces of chicken.

They apparantly pick the chicken out of premade salads -- not veggie friendly.

:sunny:

I've ordered a salads at CHH and never had that experience, but I didn't order a "a grilled chicken salad vegetarian style". I always ordered it as a vegetarian salad.

I am sooo looking forward to there chili. I get it every trip.

The chicken thing happens to me all the time. I don't mean @ WDW but other places. I make sure I have my glasses on and look at my food really good. I can't tell you how many times they have screwed up my order and put chicken in my food. One waitress argued with me once and said I ordered "Chicken Salad". I told her the word "Chicken" never came out of my mouth. My friends I was with, was in shock she was going to blame me for her "screw-up". As they know me and heard me order the "salad". "I'm a vegetarian" have been for over 30 years!

Just a few weeks ago I order the Vegetable Soup (had the soup here many times) and not until I took a bite did I realize there was chicken in the soup. I forget the name of the soup but it tasted and looked exactly like the vegetable soup except it had chicken in it. Yuk! She said "I'm so sorry, I gave you the wrong soup". She wanted to bring me the "right" soup but I wasn't in the mood to eat at that point.

Originally posted by ladydancer
Just a few weeks ago I order the Vegetable Soup (had the soup here many times) and not until I took a bite did I realize there was chicken in the soup. I forget the name of the soup but it tasted and looked exactly like the vegetable soup except it had chicken in it. Yuk! She said "I'm so sorry, I gave you the wrong soup". She wanted to bring me the "right" soup but I wasn't in the mood to eat at that point.
That is so offensive when that happens. I wish more people were sensitive to this. I don't eat flesh, muscle, etc.....nor will I just pick it out and not think it's a big deal if I unknowingly eat some of it.

I also don't like having to check food for meat, but in many restaurants it's a fact of life. What I find funny is when I'm at a vegie restaurant I'll be checking to see if something is meat and of coourse will realize that threre is no meat there at all and that I am safe.

My 4yo had his first experience with the meat thing recently. We'd ordered him a kids burrito at a counter serve mexican restaurant, but had to order it vegetarian since the one on the menu had chicken. They are very good at making substitutions and it's a very vegetarian friendly place (California Tortilla). Well, they made it with chicken, which I didn't notice until he'd eaten some. We had them remake it, which of course they did. My son was very upset and then ironically didn't like the new one since he's not a big fan of black beans. I can't win! Next time he's sticking to the rice.

T&B

This is kind of unrelated, but, I wanted to know if you raise your
children to be vegetarians or if the kids have chosen themselves?

I am the director of a child care center and just recently the issue
of vegetarian meals came up. I know that there are some religious issues for some families, but am curious about being
"veggie by choice"

Thanks for your input!
Kristy

My dh and children all eat meat. My choice, rather to be a vegetarian is because I don't like the taste and texture of the meat. Have been this way since childhood. My mom was always trying to get me to eat meat and I would eat everything else on the table but the meat. She thought for sure I was going to die! This was back in the 60's. She probably didn't know anything about being a vegetarian.

Me not eating meat is no different than my dh doesn't eat fruit. He just doesn't like it.

My DH was a vegetarian before we met. I became one before we were married and have been vegetarian for 23 years. Our kids have been raised vegetarian, with the option to try meat when they are grade school age. My DD has had chicken a couple times, but my boys have not. Time will tell if they stay vegetarian.

T&B

Ha! I have soooo many servers at WDW ask me 'you mean vegetarian as in you eat chicken?'.....

:(

I stopped eating rabbit age 3 (yes, it was on the table every Sunday) when I associated it with 'bunny', veal around age 6 when it was the calves out back, salami and sausages around age 10 for fear of donkey meat, and the rest as a teen since it didn't make me feel well.

Ha! I have soooo many servers at WDW ask me 'you mean vegetarian as in you eat chicken?'.....
Yeah, and how about "Would you like gravy with your potatoes?" or "Yes this soup is vegetarian, it's made with chicken stock" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SetzKitten
Yeah, and how about "Would you like gravy with your potatoes?" or "Yes this soup is vegetarian, it's made with chicken stock" :rolleyes:

I like when they say they have Vegetable Soup. I order it and it has "beef" in it. I thought you said this was vegetable? There like... oh yea, it's vegetable soup w/beef. They look at you like "whats the the big deal, if it has beef in it".

Well, here's another warning, I don't eat fries so I don't know if this is usual.

Last week I special ordered a veggie sandwich and the chef came out and apologized for the delay, since he was using 'fresh' oil for the fries, 'as we normally cook chicken fingers in the same oil and there is cross contamination'

Not something I had thought about since I don't like fries, but hmmm. Guess it's like McDonalds in the US using beef fat for their fries (which they didn't do in Canada)

Not something I had thought about since I don't like fries, but hmmm. Guess it's like McDonalds in the US using beef fat for their fries (which they didn't do in Canada)

to bavaria- I think USA McDonalds switched to vegetable oil for the fries, too. I remember people saying they didn't taste the same, but are healthier for you. I guess that is an oxymoron "healthier fried food"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter