• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegetarians Beware

Actually, a group of vegetarians sued McDonalds, if I remember correctly. It was led by people in India who were horrified to find that they were eating beef fat. I ate fries once in the US and couldn't figure out why they tasted so bad, and threw them out. When the lawsuit happened, it was an 'ah ha' moment for me!

The fries were at a WDW resort, by the way, but I am sure that this happens all the time anywhere, so it's a good reminder to always ask...

(edited because I didn't mean to sound so snotty - sorry! :rolleyes: )

I am not a vegetarian either, but it would really gross me out if I was. I do not eat venision, but once I ate what I thought was beef and then was told it was venison. Not very nice.

I am not vegetarian but many of my friends are. At a recent potluck a "newcomer" told everyone her dish was vegetarian and that she is vegetarian. Her dish was tuna casserole. She couldn't believe the "big deal" when the vegetarians complained. She claims she thought that vegetaqrian means you do not eat red meat.

Oh, I can really relate to this!

I wanted to be a vegetarian when I was 5 and learned that we were eating animals for dinner. This didn't fly with my dad (as in, I'd get multiple whacks with a belt if I didn't eat whatever we were having for dinner.) I've been a vegetarian for the past 23 years, since my first year at college.

I once ordered a "vegetarian" burrito, and found it had pieces of pork in it! I complained, and was told, "Oh, it is vegetarian -- we fish all the big pieces of pork out of the beans."

Since we are talking about Disney, does anyone know about vegetarian food at the Food & Wine festival? I've seen the menu, and their are some items (like Cheddar Cheese soup) that might or might not be vegetarian. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can find out....

JudyS - I'm not able to answer your question. I hope you get your answer, though.

I just wanted to add that one of the absolute best vegetarian experiences I had was during our recent trip last month. We decided to visit Boma for dinner. I asked one of the chef's about what was vegetarian and he walked me through the entire buffet telling me what was vegetarian and what was vegan. WOW! That really impressed us! AND, they had so many vegetarian choices -- including soups!

I was really awestruck at this!
:sunny:

Originally posted by JudyS
Since we are talking about Disney, does anyone know about vegetarian food at the Food & Wine festival? I've seen the menu, and their are some items (like Cheddar Cheese soup) that might or might not be vegetarian. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can find out....

A lot of the F&WF food that could be vegie has meat of some kind in it, including the ched cheese soup and the potato leek soup. My DH and I were there on Friday and did a lap around the WS eating non-sweet food and then went around another time and ordered some sweets (we were HOT by there and didn't order many sweets). We shared some things, but many things we ordered two of and we had enough to eat. I would say that if you order one of everything vegetarian (ie, don't share unless it's something that you don't think you'll like) that you'd be plenty full. If you have any questions about specific food then ask away!

T&B

yup, the cheese soup is not vegetarian. Note that chicken stock and other ingredients lurk in a lot of soups, risottos, etc at WDW so always ask your server, and if they are unsure, make sure that they ask someone.

I even have trouble with the amount of cheese in the vegetarian items at WDW. I know that I may sound like a pain to servers, but I really hate being on vacation and suddenly having a bad reaction to some hidden item in my dinner.....

:mad:

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Tigger&Belle, how did you find out which foods were vegetarian? Did you just ask at the booths, or did you have to phone ahead or something?

I assume that, since these are just sample sizes, you can't have them leave off the meat in items like "Serrano Ham and Manchego Cheese on warm olive bread."

Here are some things that sounded like maybe they were vegetarian, but didn't actually have "vegetarian" in the name. Do you know if any of these are vegetarian? (I eat eggs and dairy but not fish, chicken, or other flesh foods.)
CHINA: Dan Dan Noodles
ITALY: Sicilian Cannoli
JAPAN: Japanese Curry Soup
VALENCIA SPAIN: Gazpacho
EASTERN EUROPE: Potato Pancake with Sauerkraut
GREECE: Spanakopita

The only other non-sweets I saw that seemed to be vegetarian were South Africa: Chakalaka with Mielkiebrood (=vegetarian beans with corn meal cake) and India: Vegetarian Curry with Basmati Rice. Do you remember any other vegetarian non-dessert items that I've missed?

I really wish they'd have some more vegetables! Too bad they don't have some little salads or something. I guess most people don't eat many vegetables....

Thanks!
Judy

Originally posted by JudyS
Thanks to everyone who replied!

Tigger&Belle, how did you find out which foods were vegetarian? Did you just ask at the booths, or did you have to phone ahead or something?

I assume that, since these are just sample sizes, you can't have them leave off the meat in items like "Serrano Ham and Manchego Cheese on warm olive bread."

Here are some things that sounded like maybe they were vegetarian, but didn't actually have "vegetarian" in the name. Do you know if any of these are vegetarian? (I eat eggs and dairy but not fish, chicken, or other flesh foods.)
CHINA: Dan Dan Noodles
ITALY: Sicilian Cannoli
JAPAN: Japanese Curry Soup
VALENCIA SPAIN: Gazpacho
EASTERN EUROPE: Potato Pancake with Sauerkraut
GREECE: Spanakopita

The only other non-sweets I saw that seemed to be vegetarian were South Africa: Chakalaka with Mielkiebrood (=vegetarian beans with corn meal cake) and India: Vegetarian Curry with Basmati Rice. Do you remember any other vegetarian non-dessert items that I've missed?

I really wish they'd have some more vegetables! Too bad they don't have some little salads or something. I guess most people don't eat many vegetables....

Thanks!
Judy

We asked at each booth.

The DanDan noodles spanokopita, potato pancakes, and gazpacho (yummy) were vegie. Yes, the South African dish was vegie (we liked that a lot) and the Indian curry with rice. There was also hummus with pita and another dish from that country (drawing a blank it was, though--I think couscous).

Yes, I wish that there were more vegie items, but what we did was to go to a wine tasting and then we didn't care that we didn't have as much to eat. ;)

Really, there is enough to eat unless you're very picky. My two younger boys would have had a hard time, but my older two kids would have loved it.

T&B

www.allearsnet.com has a section on Vegetarian eating @ WDW. I have planned out all our meals from checking the menus. So we don't have to waste time checking the menu's to make sure there are foods for me and the kids.

Originally posted by Tigger&Belle
Really, there is enough to eat unless you're very picky. My two younger boys would have had a hard time, but my older two kids would have loved it.
T&B

Well, my problem is that I'm diabetic and need to follow a reduced-carb diet. Vegetarian *and* low-carb makes things *really* tough! (At home, I eat a lot of salads, fake meats, cheese, and tofu.) I'll probably either have to go off my low-carb diet, or sneak foods into the park. But, I am looking forward to the vegetarian mexican salad at San Angel Inn -- with napalitos, mmmm.

Thanks for the info!

Judy

You do have a challenge! As for bringing food into the parks, you woulnd't have to do any sneaking. First of all, they have never said anything to me when I've brought food in and second of all, it is allowed for dietary reasons. Usually when we go we bring a little cooler (the lunchbox size) and bring water, fruit, cashews, crackers, etc). Not abig picnic by any means, but enough to eat for a light lunch or when the mid-morning munchies hit.

T&B

Originally posted by ladydancer
www.allearsnet.com has a section on Vegetarian eating @ WDW. I have planned out all our meals from checking the menus. So we don't have to waste time checking the menu's to make sure there are foods for me and the kids.

Keep in mind that menus do change, though. MK used to have vegie eggrolls in their Adventureland cart, but don't any more. Also, some places serve vegie items that are not on the menu. We stopped at Pecos Bill in MK and they had a vegie wrap and a salad that I don't remember seeing on the menu.

It is nice to have an idea of the options, though, before going to the parks. WDW is wonderful about catering to different diets and will substitute whenever possible and the chefs in sit-down restaurants are always willing to improvise.

T&B

Veggie Wrap @ Pecos Bills sounds good. Did you eat that, and if you did how did you like it?

We didn't get the vegie wrap. We'd planned on sharing a vegie burger so ended up at Cosmic Rays. We probably should have gone for the wrap, but the toppings bar looked so good and I guess we were just surprised that they didn't have vegie burgers there, too (at Pecos Bill). I'll be back in a couple months and can then try the wrap.

T&B

I'm a vegetarian as well and I don't like the veggie burgers that taste like "real" burgers...and apparently, that's what wdw has...at least at Cosmic Rays...while I still ate it reluctantly, it was definately something I wish I would have known

Originally posted by osukristin227
I'm a vegetarian as well and I don't like the veggie burgers that taste like "real" burgers...and apparently, that's what wdw has...at least at Cosmic Rays...while I still ate it reluctantly, it was definately something I wish I would have known
I'm opposite. Although, I don't think they taste like real burgers...I just don't like the burgers with 'stuff' in them like pieces of veggies, nuts, etc. I like the pure soy/tvp type.

We just got back on the 9th and was very disappointed.

First we ate a Toy Story Pizza Planet. I got a Personal Veggie Pizza. I didn't care for the taste. Also the tables were upstairs. I have a bad knee and trying to carry a tray full of food and drinks up a flight of stairs, was a little difficult.

Ate at Columbia Harbour House @ MK. I wanted to get the Veggie Chile in the bread bowl. I had this on my last trip. When she gave me the Chile it was in a plastic bowl. I asked "where's the bread bowl"? "We don't have them any longer".

I checked some menus before we left and found they had Cheese Quesllias @ DQ food court. "We don't have them any longer".

I had a terrible time trying to find something to eat that tasted good.

We were staying @ Pop and the only thing I liked there was Minestrone Soup.

Originally posted by ladydancer
First we ate a Toy Story Pizza Planet. I got a Personal Veggie Pizza. I didn't care for the taste. Also the tables were upstairs. I have a bad knee and trying to carry a tray full of food and drinks up a flight of stairs, was a little difficult.
I don't care for that pizza either.
Also, I believe there are elevators you could have used to take you to the second level.

Ate at Columbia Harbour House @ MK. I wanted to get the Veggie Chile in the bread bowl. I had this on my last trip. When she gave me the Chile it was in a plastic bowl. I asked "where's the bread bowl"? "We don't have them any longer".
I haven't had the bread bowl with the chili in at least 3 or 4 years.
This is one of our favorite meals.

I had a terrible time trying to find something to eat that tasted good.
I'm sorry you had such a bad time finding something to eat. I've never had this problem. In fact, it's always been the complete opposite...too many choices! Although, I must say that I check out the menus online and read my book to be sure I know my options and plan many of my meals.

Better luck next time!
:sunny:

Originally posted by DISLOVE
This is kind of unrelated, but, I wanted to know if you raise your
children to be vegetarians or if the kids have chosen themselves?

Hi, Kristy -
My husband usually fields this question (since his family is the most vocal) and likes to defer to the old "if children were able to make decisions regarding what is in their best interest, there would be no need for parents"

We opted to become vegetarians because of the lack of food safety in the US and the means by which animal products are processed and "farmed". If we know that animal products are unsafe for *our* bodies, we shudder to think of how little it would take to impact their tiny bodies.
kwim?

If they are educated in the facts at an older age and they decide for themselves that they'd like to eat meat (hopefully organically-grown, if they choose to) then, we will discuss it at that time. However, as their Mom, I choose lots of things they don't necessarily agree with or are happy about, but they deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter