Vero Beach 2012 thread closed... see 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello VB Lovers!
My family will be visiting Vero Beach for the first time in a few weeks, splitting our time between DVB and my in-laws' (Port St Lucie). My children were hoping to participate in some of the "turtle" activities. Are they still active at the end of August? Also, do you need to make arrangements ahead of time for snorkle lessons? Thank you for your help!

Also, some nice dining suggestions, casual seafood as well as a bit more upscale. Thanks!

Sea Turtles lay eggs typically from May to October. Eggs hatch 45-70 days out. So, you will be there at a time when both eggs are being laid and hatchlings are leaving the nest.

A new nest in front of the resort
IMG_0141.jpg

Disney Naturalist digging up the nest to count the eggs
IMG_0144.jpg

The eggs
IMG_0146.jpg

This happens early in the morning. Just after sunrise. This is not a program, just an ongoing thing.

We will be there in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had ever hired a photographer while there. We were wanting to get some family pictures taken on the beach, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
Thanks!

My teen daughter is really into finding shells on the beach. Are there good ones to find? Do you have to go out first thing in the morning to find them?

Also we are really wanting to eat in a very good seafood place (not the fried stuff). Is Shutters really that good or would be be better off going somewhere else.

Thanks

We are thinking of going in May 2013

My teen daughter is really into finding shells on the beach. Are there good ones to find? Do you have to go out first thing in the morning to find them?

Also we are really wanting to eat in a very good seafood place (not the fried stuff). Is Shutters really that good or would be be better off going somewhere else.

Thanks

We are thinking of going in May 2013

(I wish there were a tongue in cheek emoticon)

:eek: You are headed south and said "not that fried stuff" :eek:

As a southern born and bred lady who prefers broiled or grilled seafood (though I appreciate the true Calabash style and the lightly breaded de jonghe style) I would suggest Captain Hiram's. The seafood buffet at Shutters is just that - a buffet, so as buffets can go, things get dry or have to sitting in liquid so as not to get dry while they're on sterno. Squid Lips also has a few grilled, baked, and broiled items.

Thanks

We are thinking of going in May 2013[/QUOTE}

We like the Riverside Cafe -
http://www.riversidecafe.com/ They have many kinds of fresh fish available each day and they do grill them.

Other choices would be Ocean Grill and Citrus Grillhouse. We haven't been to either, but Citrus Grillhouse has good reviews. Ocean Grill is a long time landmark and a must for many - we just haven't made it there yet.

Shutters is okay, but kind of hit or miss for seafood in our opinion.

i noticed that you can rent a beach cabana for $12. what exactly is this? i am very sensitive to sun. will this be enough protection for me, or should i plan to bring my beach tent? dates are mid september.

DizMagic said:
i noticed that you can rent a beach cabana for $12. what exactly is this? i am very sensitive to sun. will this be enough protection for me, or should i plan to bring my beach tent? dates are mid september.

Here's a picture with one... in front of the waverunners. Perfect for those who are sun-sensitive.

IMG_0062.jpg

As a southern born and bred lady who prefers broiled or grilled seafood (though I appreciate the true Calabash style and the lightly breaded de jonghe style) I would suggest Captain Hiram's. The seafood buffet at Shutters is just that - a buffet, so as buffets can go, things get dry or have to sitting in liquid so as not to get dry while they're on sterno. Squid Lips also has a few grilled, baked, and broiled items.

My husband and I went to squid lips and we were COMPLETELY disappointed. It was expensive for the quality (or lack thereof). I had gotten the cajun bacon wrapped scallops and the cajun spice was so overwhelming that the scallops didn't even taste like scallops. Also, I had gotten au gratin potatoes as my side and they were the BOXED powdered cheese betty crocker kind... Horrible.

We went to Ocean Grill on our actual anniversary and it was AMAZING! Right on the beach, delicious seafood (not just the fried stuff) and great service.

I haven't been to captain hiram's but I've heard good things. We were actually on our way there when we saw squid lips (it's right next to it) and thought it sounded like more fun.

I'm sure we will be checking it out this year.

My husband and I went to squid lips and we were COMPLETELY disappointed. It was expensive for the quality (or lack thereof). I had gotten the cajun bacon wrapped scallops and the cajun spice was so overwhelming that the scallops didn't even taste like scallops. Also, I had gotten au gratin potatoes as my side and they were the BOXED powdered cheese betty crocker kind... Horrible.

We went to Ocean Grill on our actual anniversary and it was AMAZING! Right on the beach, delicious seafood (not just the fried stuff) and great service.

I haven't been to captain hiram's but I've heard good things. We were actually on our way there when we saw squid lips (it's right next to it) and thought it sounded like more fun.

We've not eaten at Squid Lips so I did not provide any information about it other than menu selections - we have looked at the menu. We have been to Capt. Hiram's and enjoyed it thoroughly!

Hey thanks! I will have to check those places out!

What about the shells? From what I heard, you have to get up at sunrise to find them because the commercial shell places snatch them up then.

Do they have any vegetarian option at Shutters during their Pirate Character Dinner? We love to go but we don't eat meat :(

Do they have any vegetarian option at Shutters during their Pirate Character Dinner? We love to go but we don't eat meat :(

Just let them know when you check in - they will accommodate many different dietary needs.

Try Mulligan's 1025 Beachland Blvd. right opposite the Ocean Grill. Very good spot.

What do the different colored shorts mean for staff and what does that mean for job responsibilities?

Our family is headed to VB late September:cool1:
Are there any good snorkeling areas close by. I am looking for a place that rents the equipment as well.:confused3

We were quite happy with our meal at Squidlips, had 2 different kinds of Mahi Mahi for the adults, a lovely server and a ridiculous amount of fried shrimp for the kids. The drunken sweet potato could be a meal all by itself!

Our family is headed to VB late September:cool1:
Are there any good snorkeling areas close by. I am looking for a place that rents the equipment as well.:confused3

Bathtub Reef is about 40 minutes south of VB, but it's a great place to snorkel.http://www.beachhunter.net/florida-snorkeling-beaches/snorkeling-bathtub-reef-stuart-florida.htm
There are no restrooms or showers at the reef, but there is a public beach with showers/restrooms just a few hundred yards south.

If you go further you can hit Dubois park: http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/locations/dubois.htm, which has wonderful facilities and reminds me of a real-life storm-a-long bay. It's probably an hour and a half north, but excellent snorkeling near the reef. A plus there is that Guanabanas is down the road for dinner: http://guanabanas.com/

Don't know anywhere to rent snorkels but you can pick up a basic set at TJ Maxx in Vero for about 20$. The resort also has a SnorkelEARS class that includes snorkels to keep (they do have adult sizes) that are good quality and reasonably priced. I think the class is around 30$

Basically the coast area from Stuart to Jupiter is largely this offshore rock reef. The snorkeling is crazy good.

starbox said:
Bathtub Reef is about 40 minutes south of VB, but it's a great place to snorkel.http://www.beachhunter.net/florida-snorkeling-beaches/snorkeling-bathtub-reef-stuart-florida.htm
There are no restrooms or showers at the reef, but there is a public beach with showers/restrooms just a few hundred yards south.

If you go further you can hit Dubois park: http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/locations/dubois.htm, which has wonderful facilities and reminds me of a real-life storm-a-long bay. It's probably an hour and a half north, but excellent snorkeling near the reef. A plus there is that Guanabanas is down the road for dinner: http://guanabanas.com/

Don't know anywhere to rent snorkels but you can pick up a basic set at TJ Maxx in Vero for about 20$. The resort also has a SnorkelEARS class that includes snorkels to keep (they do have adult sizes) that are good quality and reasonably priced. I think the class is around 30$

Basically the coast area from Stuart to Jupiter is largely this offshore rock reef. The snorkeling is crazy good.

Check on the class schedule if you are interested, it was only offered one day the week we were there so couldn't do it. A nice set at Walmart ran 30 so the class is a good deal.

Hey thanks! I will have to check those places out!

What about the shells? From what I heard, you have to get up at sunrise to find them because the commercial shell places snatch them up then.

Not true. Shells are all dependent on the tide - sometimes there are tons, sometimes hardly any. You can usually find lots of sea glass and shark teeth - shells tend to be broken. It's not a fabulous shell beach, but great for finding "stuff" like sea glass and even driftwood. If you walk just a bit south you hit private beaches - the beach right in front of the resort gets hit by all the resort guests but there's lots of beach that is very quiet.

I found an old class ring at VB once, and have jars of sea glass. If you do the naturalist walk in the morning, she'll help you identify the sorts of things you can find beach combing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter