VP Pence to host call with cruise line industry.

I think that’s our point, out of all the potential COVID spreading businesses on the planet, only cruising has been singled out for a ban.
But they aren't the only COVID spreading businesses being shutdown. Cruises and College dorms are often compared when it comes to the spread of contagious diseases because of the density of people in a confined space. While local health departments allowed Colleges to try and reopen, look how many in just the last 5 weeks that have had to abandon in person instruction due to covid outbreaks. California State University, Chico went from zero covid cases, to a full outbreak before classes actually started. Now Cal State Long Beach is facing the same dilemma. And I would say a college education is more essential than a cruise vacation.
Bars, restaurants, night clubs either under restrictions or closed.

I do not care what happens at Cal State, what your local health departments do or the status of California’s night clubs. I’m asking you respectfully to not quote my posts and add your California mess. Did you not see the previous 2 posts by the mods requesting we stay on topic? I really do not care in any way what happens in California. Thanks
It's national. And with all due respect it is spot on on topic since these are the kind of things that will be considered in deciding when cruising can restart.

What about the transportation I‘ll have to take to get from the airport to the airport? What about the flight? What about the restaurants I’ll eat in on my way home? What about the cab ride I’ll have to take to get back home from the airport? Travelling is just a bad idea right now.

Plus, most people don’t have an extra two weeks of vacation they can take to quarantine at home.

Flying is fairly safe right now. I would have no problem getting on an airplane right now. There are some airlines I would not fly, but I would get on a plane right now. If I could, I would go to WDW rn

I’m not sure it’s accurate to say that the port of Galveston is completely open. On their homepage they say that currently cruise ships may come in to port for supplies or refueling. But, that no crew members from those ships are permitted to disembark.

It's national. And with all due respect it is spot on on topic since these are the kind of things that will be considered in deciding when cruising can restart.

I don’t proclaim to know what will be considered, so I’m not sure how you can. Luckily for me your post is not national.

I’m not sure it’s accurate to say that the port of Galveston is completely open. On their homepage they say that currently cruise ships may come in to port for supplies or refueling. But, that no crew members from those ships are permitted to disembark.

I may have misunderstood their board meeting, I’ll have to go back and listen to it again. Also, our Governor continually adjusts re-openings with our latest round last week. I’m not sure that update has filtered to all the websites yet. Texas has no prohibition on cruising that I’m aware of other than the CDC ban that the ports are obviously following. Also as far as crew, they may be under that CDC color code thing which may not be a factor in 20 days and 5 hours. Who’s counting?

Flying is fairly safe right now. I would have no problem getting on an airplane right now. There are some airlines I would not fly, but I would get on a plane right now. If I could, I would go to WDW rn

I live in a COVID hot spot (we are currently under partial lockdown) Would you feel confortable being seated right next to me for 3,5 hours even though we are wearing masks? Would you feel comfortable eating in the same dining room/at the table next to mine (since we all remove our masks to eat)?

Are risks reduced with all the safety measures? Maybe a little bit, yes. But not entirely. Judging by the amount of new cases and hospitalisations and deaths, it seems to me that it still isn’t safe enough. It’s still quite a gamble, actually.

I’m no gambler. Won’t risk affecting the life of someone else just because I miss cruising (and I do as much as everyone else). If that means having to wait another year to travel —and we usually travel 2 to 4 times a year so this is quite a change for us—, so be it.

I live in a COVID hot spot (we are currently under partial lockdown) Would you feel confortable being seated right next to me for 3,5 hours even though we are wearing masks? Would you feel comfortable eating in the same dining room/at the table next to mine (since we all remove our masks to eat)?

Are risks reduced with all the safety measures? Maybe a little bit, yes. But not entirely. Judging by the amount of new cases and hospitalisations and deaths, it seems to me that it still isn’t safe enough. It’s still quite a gamble, actually.

I’m no gambler. Won’t risk affecting the life of someone else just because I miss cruising (and I do as much as everyone else). If that means having to wait another year to travel —and we usually travel 2 to 4 times a year so this is quite a change for us—, so be it.

Thats why I said some airlines. There are still some that are blocking the middle seat unless you are a family. I am not advocating for every one in the world to get up and travel somewhere right now but I feel like most places take this seriously and with the safety precautions it is a safe environment. After all, many people said they felt safer at WDW than going to Publix...

And that's fine for you but some people feel the risk (after new safety measures) is acceptable and that's fine too. It was a similar vibe after 9/11 where some people were afraid to fly, eventually people were comfortable to travel again but some had to be the first which is what I intended when I posted this.

And that's fine for you but some people feel the risk (after new safety measures) is acceptable and that's fine too. It was a similar vibe after 9/11 where some people were afraid to fly, eventually people were comfortable to travel again but some had to be the first which is what I intended when I posted this.

I wouldn’t compare a pandemic with the risk of a terror attack. Those are two very different contexts.

For everything else: I’ve seen enough people making questionable decisions to make to believe that rules are necessary and I trust public health recommendation (that would be the CDC for you, if I am not mistaken?) more that my neighbours’ opinion. Unfortunately, I find that most people only care for their own belly button.

Your decision could affect someone else’s health permanently or kill them.

I have already spent 2.5 weeks at Disney. A week in August and 1.5 weeks in September. Eating in restaurants, going to the parks, being around thousands of people from COVID hotspots. And amazingly, I didn’t kill any friends or family since I got back. It can be done. You can vacation safely and not kill others upon your return.

In my personal opinion, as long as a person is not showing any symptoms "coughing,sneezing" that would make it easy to spread the virus, than I would have no problem sitting next to any one weather it be on an airplane or a restaurant as long as proper health and safety precautions were taken. If they were showing any symptoms they would not be out any way and in most cases would be denied entry to restaurants, airplanes and other areas with close contact with other people.

I have also said this many time in previous posts it's not just about cruising, it's about getting people back to work. I respect that if you are not comfortable you do not want to go on a cruise or vacation. That is your right and I respect anyone's rights that believes that.

I believe in risk vs reward. I have done thing in my life as a first responded more risky than being around people with this virus. I do not live with or spend time with anyone that is any of the risk groups. My wife and I are willing to take some calculated risks in life to enjoy it safely as much as we can.

I think the meeting the Vice President had with the cruise industry says we have people in this country "United States"that want to cruise. They are willing to do this just like they are willing to visit any other vacation destination or just go about their daily life.
I think the cruise industry is letting the government know that the health and safety measures they have and are putting in place are just as good or better then other vacation destinations or business that people are now visiting have put in place.
The cruise industry just wants the same chances to get up and running just like any other business or vacation destination has been given.

I have already spent 2.5 weeks at Disney. A week in August and 1.5 weeks in September. Eating in restaurants, going to the parks, being around thousands of people from COVID hotspots. And amazingly, I didn’t kill any friends or family since I got back. It can be done. You can vacation safely and not kill others upon your return.

I said it « could » happen/could have happen. For what it’s worth, I’m glad you tested negative.

I don’t know how it is in your country but here, the border between Canada and USA is closed and all unnecessary travel, while not strictly forbidden, is strictly not recommended. Even between provinces and between regions in the same province.

In conclusion, just because we can doesn’t mean we should.

In my personal opinion, as long as a person is not showing any symptoms "coughing,sneezing" that would make it easy to spread the virus, than I would have no problem sitting next to any one weather it be on an airplane or a restaurant as long as proper health and safety precautions were taken. If they were showing any symptoms they would not be out any way and in most cases would be denied entry to restaurants, airplanes and other areas with close contact with other people.

I have also said this many time in previous posts it's not just about cruising, it's about getting people back to work. I respect that if you are not comfortable you do not want to go on a cruise or vacation. That is your right and I respect anyone's rights that believes that.

I believe in risk vs reward. I have done thing in my life as a first responded more risky than being around people with this virus. I do not live with or spend time with anyone that is any of the risk groups. My wife and I are willing to take some calculated risks in life to enjoy it safely as much as we can.

I think the meeting the Vice President had with the cruise industry says we have people in this country "United States"that want to cruise. They are willing to do this just like they are willing to visit any other vacation destination or just go about their daily life.
I think the cruise industry is letting the government know that the health and safety measures they have and are putting in place are just as good or better then other vacation destinations or business that people are now visiting have put in place.
The cruise industry just wants the same chances to get up and running just like any other business or vacation destination has been given.

We do agree on one thing: we all want people back to work as safely as possible and as fast as possible.

Someone mentioned something interesting: if Florida Residents (only) have the option to cruise, and quarantine until they get a negative result... or get tested before/during/after, it could be the safest way to reopen some cruising... As long as the countries they are visiting are on board, of course. Private islands (or selected excursions keeping cruisers away from locals) could be the key here.

I said it « could » happen/could have happen. For what it’s worth, I’m glad you tested negative.

I don’t know how it is in your country but here, the border between Canada and USA is closed and all unnecessary travel, while not strictly forbidden, is strictly not recommended. Even between provinces and between regions in the same province.

In conclusion, just because we can doesn’t mean we should.

I am in Georgia. Our state opened up for business in early May. We are on the last bit of restrictions - governor kemp just opened up nursing homes for visits.

I am in Georgia. Our state opened up for business in early May. We are on the last bit of restrictions - governor kemp just opened up nursing homes for visits.

We reopened late May (we had it so good this summer, with the exception of mandatory masks, hand washing and 6ft distancing, it almost felt like normal) but we are back in partial lockdown now. Currently trying to break the 2nd wave. That stupid virus is relentless.

We do agree on one thing: we all want people back to work as safely as possible and as fast as possible.

Someone mentioned something interesting: if Florida Residents (only) have the option to cruise, and quarantine until they get a negative result... or get tested before/during/after, it could be the safest way to reopen some cruising... As long as the countries they are visiting are on board, of course. Private islands (or selected excursions keeping cruisers away from locals) could be the key here.

The idea of Florida residents being the only ones able to cruise may be the reason one of the cruise lines will only be sailing out of Port Canaveral and Miami? to start. This may have been discuses as an option at the meeting with the Vice President.
In my opinion if a person can travel to Florida from any other U.S. state to go to Disney or any other amusement park or to just vacation they should be aloud to cruise. This would be as long as they followed all the travel protocols set forth by the cruise industry and government regulations that would let cruising get started again.
That would include testing and if decided, a big if, quarantining. I can't see Quarantining happening but I can see testing before your cruise and, and a big and, the posibility of testing maybe even during and after a cruise.
This would be the things people would have to agree on to be able to cruise if it becomes a cruise rule or a government regulation.
Now that the Vice President has met with the cruise industry hopefully we should start to see more information coming not only out of the cruise lines but the CDC, hopefully.
As far as international travelers I would not know how or where to start. Now you you are dealing with not only the CDC but also Customs and Boarder protection.

The idea of Florida residents being the only ones able to cruise may be the reason one of the cruise lines will only be sailing out of Port Canaveral and Miami? to start. This may have been discuses as an option at the meeting with the Vice President.
In my opinion if a person can travel to Florida from any other U.S. state to go to Disney or any other amusement park or to just vacation they should be aloud to cruise. This would be as long as they followed all the travel protocols set forth by the cruise industry and government regulations that would let cruising get started again.
That would include testing and if decided, a big if, quarantining. I can't see Quarantining happening but I can see testing before your cruise and, and a big and, the posibility of testing maybe even during and after a cruise.
This would be the things people would have to agree on to be able to cruise if it becomes a cruise rule or a government regulation.
Now that the Vice President has met with the cruise industry hopefully we should start to see more information coming not only out of the cruise lines but the CDC, hopefully.
As far as international travelers I would not know how or where to start. Now you you are dealing with not only the CDC but also Customs and Boarder protection.
The whole "Florida" only thing is a bit crazy in this perspective. If there was someone from, say, Brunswick, GA, they would be much, MUCH, closer to Port Canaveral than someone that lives in Pensacola, FL. For that matter, someone that lives in Dothan, AL would also be closer than the person that lives in Pensacola...

We reopened late May (we had it so good this summer, with the exception of mandatory masks, hand washing and 6ft distancing, it almost felt like normal) but we are back in partial lockdown now. Currently trying to break the 2nd wave. That stupid virus is relentless.

You know it isn’t a death sentence if you get the virus right? It has over a 99% survivability rate for most people. In fact, my 70+ year old parents both had the virus this summer. Not from travel, from work. You can get it anywhere. They were both sick for a couple days. Didn’t need to see the dr. Didn’t need to be hospitalized. Didn’t die. Just got sick. Yes, they felt horrible. They are both fine now. No residual affects. We just aren’t terrified of it anymore and choose to live. Not to hide. We will be on a Disney cruise ship when they start to sail. We will not see my husband’s 80+ year old parents when we get back. You can safely travel!

You know it isn’t a death sentence if you get the virus right? It has over a 99% survivability rate for most people. In fact, my 70+ year old parents both had the virus this summer. Not from travel, from work. You can get it anywhere. They were both sick for a couple days. Didn’t need to see the dr. Didn’t need to be hospitalized. Didn’t die. Just got sick. Yes, they felt horrible. They are both fine now. No residual affects. We just aren’t terrified of it anymore and choose to live. Not to hide. We will be on a Disney cruise ship when they start to sail. We will not see my husband’s 80+ year old parents when we get back. You can safely travel!

Amen. Travel is a lot safer than people think in this current climate. At least IMO. Just don't be stupid, wear a mask, socially distance from others, wash/sanitize your hands and you will most likely be fine.

The virus can kill anyone there is no doubt about that but many companies/restaurants/businesses are going out of their way to make things safe and that + someone wearing a mask and socially distancing from others goes a long long way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter