VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Happy Birthday Kathy! Sorry I'm late to the party. My dad's favorite pie is strawberry rhubarb. My aunt in Indiana grew some rhubarb on their farm, so she would make homemade pies. Don't see too much rhubarb in south Alabama though. Hopefully you'll find what you are looking for up north.

Had a 80s flashback last night...we went to see Asia and Journey. Show was very good. I had seen Journey a couple times, and like before, they didnt disappoint. The only thing that could make them better, having Steve Perry back singing.
Asia, 1st time I have seen them. They were great! Carl Palmer who is the drummer(think Emerson, Lake and Palmer)is the best drummer I have seen, and I have seen a lot of them. That dude made the drum solo interesting to watch. Most drummers, its a yawn fest and people start going to the restrooms. No disrespect to drummers, its a tough, physical job, but the drum solo, not many are very interesting.
I know this isn't VWL related but like to share anywho:D

Last edited:
Kathy, would frozen rhubarb do? I made strawberry rhubarb pie last week and had to use frozen rhubarb for the first time, and it fit the bill, perfectly!

Had a 80s flashback last night...we went to see Asia and Journey. Show was very good. I had seen Journey a couple times, and like before, they didnt disappoint. The only thing that could make them better, having Steve Perry back singing.
Asia, 1st time I have seen them. They were great! Carl Palmer who is the drummer(think Emerson, Lake and Palmer)is the best drummer I have seen, and I have seen a lot of them. That dude made the drum solo interesting to watch. Most drummers, its a yawn fest and people start going to the restrooms. No disrespect to drummers, its a tough, physical job, but the drum solo, not many are very interesting.
I know this isn't VWL related but like to share anywho:D

Glad to know your opinion. Journey is coming to the Wharf in Orange Beach next month. I'm still contemplating getting DH tickets for Father's Day. I feel kinda guilty because Journey was my fav, so wonder if he'll think I just bought them so I could go!:mic: Plus the Wharf is an outside venue and the concerts are rain or shine. Makes me nervous to spend a good amount of money for tickets, and then risk that we may be sitting through a monsoon to use them. First world problems I know...

Hello everyone! I am buying resale into Boulder Ridge. Do you think for around $81 a point is a good deal? Can someone post some pictures of lobby of Boulder Ridge section? Thanks! Also if you could let me know what you think of resort grounds! Also, where is the new pool going relative to Boulder Ridge? And what does it look like? Thanks again guys!

Hello everyone! I am buying resale into Boulder Ridge. Do you think for around $81 a point is a good deal? Can someone post some pictures of lobby of Boulder Ridge section? Thanks! Also if you could let me know what you think of resort grounds! Also, where is the new pool going relative to Boulder Ridge? And what does it look like? Thanks again guys!
I haven't done tons and tons of research on Boulder Ridge just yet but we are also looking into resale here. A smaller contract (around 100 or so points) and I saw one for $85 a point and thought that was good. So I would think $81 would very good. But I am sure the experts here will weigh in and they certainly know better than me.

I haven't done tons and tons of research on Boulder Ridge just yet but we are also looking into resale here. A smaller contract (around 100 or so points) and I saw one for $85 a point and thought that was good. So I would think $81 would very good. But I am sure the experts here will weigh in and they certainly know better than me.
I did some research and for the prices we are looking at, we would make a profit by selling the rest of our points that we don't use, (or don't use any points) to Dave's Vacataion Club to be rented that year for 14 per point. So yes does seem like a good deal!

Happy Birthday Kathy! Sorry I'm late to the party. My dad's favorite pie is strawberry rhubarb. My aunt in Indiana grew some rhubarb on their farm, so she would make homemade pies. Don't see too much rhubarb in south Alabama though. Hopefully you'll find what you are looking for up north.

Thanks Erin! I enjoyed my Rhubarb pie a few hours ago! :) Knew I'd find it in MN!

Kathy, would frozen rhubarb do? I made strawberry rhubarb pie last week and had to use frozen rhubarb for the first time, and it fit the bill, perfectly!
I had even looked for that Bobbi but no luck in the store for frozen either although I did not look at the store where we finally found the prepared pie. Lucky me though as the a place I figured would have the pie in MN did - in fact I had a choice between Rhubarb pie and Rhubarb crisp - went with the pie though. Best birthday pie ever! :D

Now I'm just waiting for the line of storms to pass thru that produced a few tornados earlier in the evening! :eek:

Last edited:

Villas lobby:

p608895074-4.jpg

p1045198585-4.jpg

p679744859-4.jpg

p1751336658-4.jpg

p999566751-4.jpg

I did some research and for the prices we are looking at, we would make a profit by selling the rest of our points that we don't use, (or don't use any points) to Dave's Vacataion Club to be rented that year for 14 per point. So yes does seem like a good deal!
I didn't even think about that...something to consider if I can't get a small contract.

$81 a point sound good. We purchased when Villas at WL 1st went on sale in 2001 for $72 per pt, and purchased a 2nd contract at $75 per pt. Since that time we have added on twice at around $85 per pt. VWL(Boulder Ridge) has held its value pretty well over the years.

I think its going to be tough to find anyone here who wont feel they love the resort grounds:DI for one love the place. The ambiance of the place at night is probably my favorite time to be there. The lanterns flicker, crickets chirp, the western themed music playing faintly in the background, these things and more always come to mind as I daydream about the place. As a kid I loved playing cowboy so as an adult, it invokes memories for me. Its a majestic place too. When you walk in the lobby for the 1st time, you are in awe. They have great trails that lead too Fort Wilderness where wildlife are spotted often. The flowers that grow in front and around the main pool area, beautiful. I could go on and on. But others here have their own thoughts and Im sure will share as well.

The new pool is basically back in the same area where former pool was. As you walk out back of lobby on Bay Lake side, you will bear slightly left and the pool is maybe 20 yards from that point. From what I can tell, they made the pool bigger. Another added feature which several of us ol timers really like so far is the new Geyser Point Bar and Grill. Its a great place to grab a bite or your favorite libation and just hang out. Even on a hot day, the breeze blowing through makes it comfortable.

Bottom line, IMO, you can't go wrong buying here! VWL has always been popular around Dec as Christmas approaches, and having that 11 month window to book here, a big plus. Though anytime of the year is a nice stay here, Dec., well I am partial to the place to start with, but I think its the best place to be!

A "good deal" is often in the eye of the beholder, and so it is with any DVC purchase. All things being equal, $81 does sound good but that would further depend upon a couple of factors, primarily whether the contract is stripped or loaded. If the contract you're pursuing has no points available until 2018 or even 2019, then the $81 pp loses some of its appeal. On the other hand, if it's loaded--points already available and plentiful--then the $81 price tag becomes a lot more attractive. Another factor to consider is that the VWL (aka BRV) contracts expire in 25 years, thus to some, it's not a good deal regardless of cost as you're only getting half the time of a typical contract. In the end, if you love VWL and its ambiance, and you'll get full use of your points over the next 25 years, then $81 pp is fine.

As much as I love my DVC home, I would urge a little caution if you've not actually spent much time at the Lodge. Even if the remaining years on the contract are limited, buying a DVC contract, resale or direct, is a long-term financial commitment. I would want to be absolutely sure that this particular property is the one that speaks to my heart more than any others whether it's a good deal or not. That being said, as JT so lovingly details, there is much to love about the grounds of the Lodge--I've not found another resort so relaxing and so serene as my "home." Hopefully, the new construction won't detract from that too much. In closing, :welcome: to the Groupies!

$81 a point sound good. We purchased when Villas at WL 1st went on sale in 2001 for $72 per pt, and purchased a 2nd contract at $75 per pt. Since that time we have added on twice at around $85 per pt. VWL(Boulder Ridge) has held its value pretty well over the years.

I think its going to be tough to find anyone here who wont feel they love the resort grounds:DI for one love the place. The ambiance of the place at night is probably my favorite time to be there. The lanterns flicker, crickets chirp, the western themed music playing faintly in the background, these things and more always come to mind as I daydream about the place. As a kid I loved playing cowboy so as an adult, it invokes memories for me. Its a majestic place too. When you walk in the lobby for the 1st time, you are in awe. They have great trails that lead too Fort Wilderness where wildlife are spotted often. The flowers that grow in front and around the main pool area, beautiful. I could go on and on. But others here have their own thoughts and Im sure will share as well.

The new pool is basically back in the same area where former pool was. As you walk out back of lobby on Bay Lake side, you will bear slightly left and the pool is maybe 20 yards from that point. From what I can tell, they made the pool bigger. Another added feature which several of us ol timers really like so far is the new Geyser Point Bar and Grill. Its a great place to grab a bite or your favorite libation and just hang out. Even on a hot day, the breeze blowing through makes it comfortable.

Bottom line, IMO, you can't go wrong buying here! VWL has always been popular around Dec as Christmas approaches, and having that 11 month window to book here, a big plus. Though anytime of the year is a nice stay here, Dec., well I am partial to the place to start with, but I think its the best place to be!
Thank you so much for that introduction! Around how busy would you say the pool areas get? Does the quick service get busy? Seems like a more relaxed resort, so that is a plus! Thanks!

A "good deal" is often in the eye of the beholder, and so it is with any DVC purchase. All things being equal, $81 does sound good but that would further depend upon a couple of factors, primarily whether the contract is stripped or loaded. If the contract you're pursuing has no points available until 2018 or even 2019, then the $81 pp loses some of its appeal. On the other hand, if it's loaded--points already available and plentiful--then the $81 price tag becomes a lot more attractive. Another factor to consider is that the VWL (aka BRV) contracts expire in 25 years, thus to some, it's not a good deal regardless of cost as you're only getting half the time of a typical contract. In the end, if you love VWL and its ambiance, and you'll get full use of your points over the next 25 years, then $81 pp is fine.

As much as I love my DVC home, I would urge a little caution if you've not actually spent much time at the Lodge. Even if the remaining years on the contract are limited, buying a DVC contract, resale or direct, is a long-term financial commitment. I would want to be absolutely sure that this particular property is the one that speaks to my heart more than any others whether it's a good deal or not. That being said, as JT so lovingly details, there is much to love about the grounds of the Lodge--I've not found another resort so relaxing and so serene as my "home." Hopefully, the new construction won't detract from that too much. In closing, :welcome: to the Groupies!
Thanks for the welcome! The VWL seem like an awesome place to stay! I'll be sure to ask you more questions when the time comes.

Thanks so much for the pictures of lobby! Does DVC have their own check in? Any dining near the DVC part? Thanks!
All check ins take place in the main Lodge lobby--there is no alternate desk in the VWL lobby. Also, no dining there, either, as all the eateries are over in the main Lodge: Whispering Canyon Cafe, Artist Point, Territory Lounge, and once reopened, Roaring Fork. Geyser Point, I suppose, could be considered closer to the VWL section once construction is finished on the new Copper Creek cabins and that area is once again open from the back entrance of the VWL lobby.

Thank you so much for that introduction! Around how busy would you say the pool areas get? Does the quick service get busy? Seems like a more relaxed resort, so that is a plus! Thanks!
In the past, the main pool area has gotten quite busy during the summer months, and I've no real reason to think that will change. The old Hidden Springs pool (the pool associated with DVC) rarely got incredibly busy since it had no "wow" factor for kids (though my daughter loved the bubbles). With the new pool being substantially larger and, well, newer, I suspect it, too, will get quite busy during the warmer months. Many of us who have loved the tranquility of VWL are holding our breaths that the new pool, along with Geyser Point, won't mean a sharp increase in the amount of noise coming from that area. Roaring Fork was always busiest at meal times, and that won't change, but with the advent of Geyser Point, perhaps it won't be quite as busy, especially at lunch. From what I've heard, several people have said GP gets quite crowded at meal times, and having visited GP myself, I will say there isn't a whole lot of seating there.

Overall, WL is a quieter resort than most since it is in many ways smaller. The takeover of the south wing of the Lodge by Copper Creek is viewed by many as a sign that the resort will be a busier place since DVC occupancy rates there are expected to be higher than the general rate had been. A lot remains to be seen how things shake out, but I do believe you'll love the resort.

This! @davish562 I highly recommend you take Sleepy's advice & at minimum visit the resort or better yet stay there before you make such an important financial decision. Just because you like the look of a resort in photos does not mean you will like the resort as your home. For example our first contract was at AKV. Did the tour & fell in love with the rooms, but Kidani was not complete at the time. We stayed there for the first time not long after it opened & didn't like it at all. While the resort itself is lovely it was not what we were looking for for our perfect fit resort. We sold that contract not long after. VWL & BCV are my perfect fit resorts but I didn't discover that until I stayed there. Make a weekend of it & go tour all the DVC resorts to make sure you will not have buyers remorse. Good luck.

Hi groupie friends! :wave2:

A practical note, with reference....

See http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dvc-property-taxes-to-rise.928040/#post-7754592

Regarding our property tax assessment.... if Humphrey is correct, and the VWL was legally "sold" to the developer? This could trigger a complete re-assessment of property taxes. One none of us asked for, and had no vote on.

WATCH your property tax assessments in the coming year - NONE OF US ASKED for any work to be done at the Lodge. I, for one, will complain LOUDLY if the WDW standard business practice of temporary sales to a contractor results in a cost increase to ME. Class action is not out of the question.

Let's see what happens - in the end? "Not my Monkey, NOT my Circus".

How foolish of me. I forgot to share my big travel news when I posted earlier. I'm going to Australia in Oct! :woohoo: I was invited by the tourism board to attend their annual agent meeting. I'll be there app. 10 days I think. I don't have the itinerary yet but I know I need to be in AU on 10/4. I'll be attending workshops, meeting suppliers, touring the Barossa Valley visiting wineries & drinking wine, and visiting one of the wildlife sanctuaries that lets you hold a koala! :D I love my job! ::yes:: I think I'm most excited about holding a koala. That's a bucket list item for me. Super excited but it means postponing my F&W trip or not going at all. I'll probably rent my BCV studio I have reserved for 10/4-10. I have no doubt I can get top dollar for that coveted reservation. I did book a back up trip for later in the month, but of course I couldn't get BCV. Bummed about that. Originally all I could get was SSR but yesterday a Poly studio popped up with my dates available so I switched. I've waitlisted BCV & BWV but I have little hope either of those will come through. PVB is not my favorite but I'll take it over SSR (sorry SSR lovers!). PVB has the better location for my needs.

@sleepydog25 I'll PM you my new dates.

Lots of great travel to look forward to this year. And yes we're still taking the return family trip to NZ this summer. Good thing I've gotten over my fear of flying. Another year with 4 super long haul flights, but I am blessed for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter