• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I went into work on my off-Friday today because I want to take some PB on Sept 1. As I was getting into my car, I heard the distant sound of a train whistle. There's only one train close enough - The Walt Disney World Railroad. Talk about a warm fuzzy. After I did some moving boxes later in the day, we headed to the Magic Kingdom for dinner and a ride on the train.
That's just cool. As for the great pics, Granny, that's back when they meant "Wilderness" Lodge. ;)

Wow! What a week! Survived my first week back at school. Next week will be the first full week and regular routine. I think I have most of their 114 names in my brain. We got the news on Wednesday that DD21 got into grad school at St. Augustine! We are so thrilled for her to have been offered a spot. She will graduate in December and then start grad school in January. I guess I better get that annual pass wrapped up for Christmas! DD17 turns 18 on Sunday. Been trying to shop a little here and there and get ready for her big day. Since her birthday always falls when we go back to school, I always feel like she gets slighted a little. What's life without "Mom" guilt. Gotta get my act together tomorrow and get her a cake and some other goodies. DD21 will head back to college in the middle of next week. I'm a little sad, because with her acceptance to grad school, this will be the last "summer" break with all three of my kids together. Since grad school is trimesters, she won't have any breaks with the family except for a few days at Thanksgiving and Christmas break for the next 2.5 years. Hopefully since she'll be close, she can run over to Disney for the weekend parts of our spring break trip.

Jimmytammy, so glad the baby is improving and able to be moved from the NICU.

WildernessDad, I'm just so jealous I don't know what to say (but keep sharing your fun day trips with us).

Thanks for the comments about the tours. I guess we'll look into the Wild Africa Trek.

I went into work on my off-Friday today because I want to take some PB on Sept 1. As I was getting into my car, I heard the distant sound of a train whistle. There's only one train close enough - The Walt Disney World Railroad. Talk about a warm fuzzy. After I did some moving boxes later in the day, we headed to the Magic Kingdom for dinner and a ride on the train.

Okay, this is just very cool! Hearing the MK whistle from your home? It's like it's calling you "Can you come out and play?". And how great is it to say "Honey, let's head over to MK and go ride the train for a bit". I'm very happy that your job and move have worked out so well for you! :)

I'm a little sad, because with her acceptance to grad school, this will be the last "summer" break with all three of my kids together. Since grad school is trimesters, she won't have any breaks with the family except for a few days at Thanksgiving and Christmas break for the next 2.5 years. Hopefully since she'll be close, she can run over to Disney for the weekend parts of our spring break trip.

Erin...the empty nesting process is a bittersweet one to be sure. But as my Mom always used to say, our job as parents is to give our children roots to grow and wings to fly.

I hope you have a great school year!

Gotta love Groupie meets! Big, small, love them all! JT we overlap by 1 day in October.....

Lets make it happen! We have no major plans for the day of arrival except for check in at BLT and eating lunch at The Wave. We are making FPs tomorrow so let me know if you know where you will be on the 12th and 13th if you have plans and we can catch up with y'all!!

I love that you can hear the train from home!! What a great feeling that must invoke. We were in the NC mts. staying just off the Blue Ridge Parkway last weekend, basically between Boone and Blowing Rock. We would sit on the porch in the cool temps and listen o the Tweetsie Railroad whistle. It so reminded me of being at the Lodge(and pining for it, let me say, even with the changes, I can't wait to get back home in Dec., because it has been yrs since last staying there, maybe 2009, after Stan Retired).

Not sure now, but Tweetsie used to work on the MK trains. Folks would see them on flatbeds pulling into the the parking lot who live up there. We once went on a tour of the trains at MK and asked about the Lilly Belle that at the time had been out of commission for quite some time. We asked the engineer when Tweetsie was going to get her back to FL and he was startled that we knew her whereabouts :D

Last edited:

S-o-o-o-o-o, it appears as though the CA Grill has turned into just a buffet restaurant now. Check out their menu. Not sure I like this, though we did enjoy the Sunday brunch there. . .twice.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/california-grill/menus/dinner/

Then again, I've read where others say this looks suspiciously like a NYE menu from the past, thus a technical glitch. . .
Wow, that just doesn't seem right to me! If it has in fact changed I am so pleased I changed our anniversary dinner in September to Artist Point!

I failed to notice this small historical moment Saturday.

On Aug 12, 1990, archaeologist Susan Hendrickson discovered the bones of a huge Tyrannosaurus Rex in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Later dubbed Sue, the T-Rex skeleton (90% of the bones were recovered) was the subject of an involved legal battle. Eventually, The Field Museum in Chicago wound up having to buy the skeleton through Sotheby's. Unable to come up with funds to buy Sue along, The Field Museum had corporate help from McDonald's, the California State Universities system, a few private citizens, and. . .Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Sue's final cost was nearly $8.4M. The preparatory work to remove the "matrix," or rocks & debris, from the bones began in earnest in 1997. One of the preparatory labs was in The Field Museum and the other was. . .wait for it. . .at the newly opened Animal Kingdom. Once Sue was cleaned and casts carefully made of her bones, one of the recipients of the casts was, again, the Animal Kingdom. Thus, when you enter DinoLand and head to the ride, Dinosaur, the T-Rex you see is actually the casting made of Sue.

That is all for your history lesson today, folks. :teacher:

I failed to notice this small historical moment Saturday.

On Aug 12, 1990, archaeologist Susan Hendrickson discovered the bones of a huge Tyrannosaurus Rex in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Later dubbed Sue, the T-Rex skeleton (90% of the bones were recovered) was the subject of an involved legal battle. Eventually, The Field Museum in Chicago wound up having to buy the skeleton through Sotheby's. Unable to come up with funds to buy Sue along, The Field Museum had corporate help from McDonald's, the California State Universities system, a few private citizens, and. . .Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Sue's final cost was nearly $8.4M. The preparatory work to remove the "matrix," or rocks & debris, from the bones began in earnest in 1997. One of the preparatory labs was in The Field Museum and the other was. . .wait for it. . .at the newly opened Animal Kingdom. Once Sue was cleaned and casts carefully made of her bones, one of the recipients of the casts was, again, the Animal Kingdom. Thus, when you enter DinoLand and head to the ride, Dinosaur, the T-Rex you see is actually the casting made of Sue.

That is all for your history lesson today, folks. :teacher:

Sleepy...thank you for the information! I knew that the T-Rex at the Dinosaur ride was a replica of Sue, but I didn't know about Disney's involvement in the recovery and cleaning of the bones. Very interesting! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the comments about the tours. I guess we'll look into the Wild Africa Trek.

I've also done WAT & loved it. Highly recommend the first tour of the day.

JT - saw the big news yesterday on FB. Congratulations to all! :littleangel: Looks like everyone is home now & doing well.

Hi groupie friends! :wave2: I'm back from New Zealand. We got in Sat. morning around 7:00 a.m. Took the red eye from LAX after traveling 14 hours from NZ. :crazy2: The coming home is nowhere near as much fun as the going over. Another incredible trip. We stayed in a couple new places & the places we revisited we saw all new things. Even after my 3rd visit to NZ I still have barely scratched the surface on all there is to see & do. I know I'll return as I always leave a piece of my heart behind there. :love: I won't bombard you with photos but I'll post a couple of my favorites below.

Akaroa for DIS.jpg Remarkables for DIS.jpg Lake Wakitipu for DIS.jpg Devin & Me Bobs Cove for DIS.jpg

Beautiful pictures Julie! They look almost like paintings they are so perfect! Thanks for sharing, and glad you made it home okay. :)

Beautiful pictures Julie! They look almost like paintings they are so perfect! Thanks for sharing, and glad you made it home okay. :)

Thank you. Other than a little cropping & lightening up some shadows none of those photos are enhanced. It's a magical place. I call it the land of wow. If you go there you'll be saying that several times a day. ::yes::

Beautiful, thank you for sharing those pictures!

Thanks Bobbi. Glad you liked them.

S-o-o-o-o-o, it appears as though the CA Grill has turned into just a buffet restaurant now. Check out their menu. Not sure I like this, though we did enjoy the Sunday brunch there. . .twice.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/california-grill/menus/dinner/

Then again, I've read where others say this looks suspiciously like a NYE menu from the past, thus a technical glitch. . .

Nope - Grill is still the Grill. Disney just screwed up their Website, yet again.

Beautiful shots Julie! Glad you folks made it home safe n sound, and thanks for the congrats, all is well now:-)

Julie - Too Cool! And Beautiful. He has certainly given us all a large heart, allowing us to leave a little bit in so many different places in our lives. Just enough to call to us; and remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter