VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Congratulations Bobbi and Tom, well done!

And a question for the group, probably answered back on Page 306 or something :D. Anyway, we have the privilege of a Christmastime stay coming up at BRV in a 1BR. In looking at the Touring Plans room finder I did notice the odd “W” shaped 1/2 bedroom units above the lobby area (xx19/xx28) and wondered if those are generally considered more or less desirable than other more conventional layouts?
We DO have quite the long history of pages. Once upon a time, the threads had a limit to the number of pages it could have due to the high volume of posts, something like 250 pages, I think. Two to three years ago the DIS upgraded its capacities; since then, we've had the same page (and I believe it's by far the largest--volume wise--DVC resort thread), so it can be difficult to find things. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. . .

Yes, those 1 and 2 BRs near the VWL lobby are quite desirable as they are more spacious than typical layouts. We've stayed in both, most recently a 1BR on the bus side, and loved them. You get a large dining area and the living space is also bigger, more open. The proximity to the elevators is also nice (though I don't think the hallways @ VWL are particularly long). For us, we'd choose those configurations every time if we could.

As for the rumored River Country build, perhaps they could name it Boulder Ridge and give us back our VWL name. :rolleyes1 By the time they build that sucker (if indeed it actually happens), I'll be needing my grandkids to wheel me around. . .pirate:

Thank you. I think we've decided we're going to rent a car & drive from Munich vs doing a small group tour. It will give us much more flexibility to see & do what we want. I'm just waiting to hear back from my hotel's concierge on which rental car companies have office close to the hotel.

I hadn't heard that rumor start up again, but then again I haven't been paying much attention to the rumor mills these days. Like you my point buying days are over, but I'd definitely be interested in staying there. I have no interest in staying at the new DVC going in at CBR.
How come?

It is still a rumor mostly based on a filing for a Staging area. The DVC News also had an interesting article from a different source. https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...or-contractors-in-place-for-river-country-dvc

I am hoping it retains the name of River Country and gives a nod to the old water park. I would think it would still be in a country theme as part of River Country backs up to Mickey's Backyard BBQ.
Denise, you seem to be more in the know than I, via these rumors does it look like Disney scrapped the previous architectural plans all together? They weren't for the most attractive building (think kidani), but I liked the layout of the grounds.

Julie - I'm not certain - its been a few years since our last trip to Germany/Bavaria, but if my memory is correct, Linderhof is a wonderful castle to visit. I believe the Peacock House (fabulous!) is on the grounds as well as the Grotto. Of course, I could also be getting my castles mixed up :upsidedow

I've been reading about the supposed River Country. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

..And...Wishing Bobbi and Tom a very Happy Anniversary! :flower1:

What bags? All I see is a proud Mom with excitement in her heart for the promise of her son's future.

And DisnyDi is correct; her memory is not as bad as she thinks! All of King Ludwig's Palaces are a treat to visit, where each visitor gets to polish the floors with fuzzy shoes (provided), but Linderhof is especially nice, along with his Peacock Throne in the Peacock House, along with the exceptional Grotto. Of course, Neuschwanstein is a "not to miss" adventure, as we mentioned before, and Herrenchiemsee a large Palace to see. But if I could only visit one again after see the rest, it would definitely be Linderhof. Smaller than the others, but so wonderful to experience.

As far as another DVC Resort; I always feel "a tightening" inside, as somehow, although people buy into other DVC Resorts, Wilderness Lodge is always where everyone wants to stay at Christmas time. If you don't make the reservation at exactly 11 months out, you may be out of luck for the exact days you may want to stay. And totally out of luck if you wait until that 7 month mark.

What bags? All I see is a proud Mom with excitement in her heart for the promise of her son's future.

And DisnyDi is correct; her memory is not as bad as she thinks! All of King Ludwig's Palaces are a treat to visit, where each visitor gets to polish the floors with fuzzy shoes (provided), but Linderhof is especially nice, along with his Peacock Throne in the Peacock House, along with the exceptional Grotto. Of course, Neuschwanstein is a "not to miss" adventure, as we mentioned before, and Herrenchiemsee a large Palace to see. But if I could only visit one again after see the rest, it would definitely be Linderhof. Smaller than the others, but so wonderful to experience.

As far as another DVC Resort; I always feel "a tightening" inside, as somehow, although people buy into other DVC Resorts, Wilderness Lodge is always where everyone wants to stay at Christmas time. If you don't make the reservation at exactly 11 months out, you may be out of luck for the exact days you may want to stay. And totally out of luck if you wait until that 7 month mark.

You are too kind Rich & your post just shows one of the many reason you & Di have been happily married for so long. You know all the right things to say! :goodvibes

The overwhelming majority of votes among my TA colleagues concurs with your recommendation on Linderhof. It is a bit out of the way, but I think we're going to have to do it.

And I agree with your sentiments on a new DVC. I wish they'd stop building more resorts. I would have preferred VWL for early Dec. but I couldn't get it & I own there! :sad2:

Denise, you seem to be more in the know than I, via these rumors does it look like Disney scrapped the previous architectural plans all together? They weren't for the most attractive building (think kidani), but I liked the layout of the grounds.

I thought they were different but other have told me they are the same. I don't think there are any filings that actually show anything newer though. I think that design pic TimK used was from an older article so that would be the original design.

I thought they were different but other have told me they are the same. I don't think there are any filings that actually show anything newer though. I think that design pic TimK used was from an older article so that would be the original design.

Rumor has it that they have hired a new design firm for the project, so that would suggest they are thinking of something different than the old plans. The original plans included a large water area with what looks like a lazy river. It would be neat if they kept a connection to the old River Country but I think that Disney will go the other direction and make it upscale to offset any idea that this is a "less deluxe DVC" than the rest. It is my guess that is the rationale behind the ritzy look of the Riviera Resort too.

Have any of you folks seen the latest announcement from Disney, a new partial DVC resort at the former River Country? I know rumors have circulated for years but it seems official now. With its close proximity to WL and FW for sure, wonder if the theming of WL will spill over? Or will it take on its own identity? My feeling is it will be new, different so to speak. What do you folks think?
Though my days of buying more points is behind me(I think:rolleyes1)the thought of staying here intrigues me. I like the campground, though I am not much on camping. The amenities it offers are a plus in my book. The stables, Trails End, the little store, just hanging out here and when the seasons roll around, seeing the mass of decorations around the campsites, the campfire sing along plus the trail to WL. All these things draw me that way. So the plus of being able to be on property here, amongst the pines, the waterway are all enticements. I never had the chance to go to River Country, but felt it would have been a cool place had the chance been there.

So, I’m trying to wrap my head around this one. Wilderness Lodge had a problem booking to capacity so they took a little more than half of the hotel and turned it into Copper Creek DVC (yes, + cabins). One of the biggest drawbacks people always complained about was not being on the monorail (which, BTW, is a feature I love — less folks “stopping by” to check out the resort). So, now we are going to build a new resort with similar transportation drawbacks and add hotel room capacity that we could argue is unneeded. I’m not seeing the appeal of this — maybe if they added some sort of high speed transport Chunnel underneath everything that plops you out in a special Fantasyland entrance only for people staying at the “new RC” but honestly I just don’t get it. Somebody needs to tell me why any more people at these parks is a good thing. We need a 5th Park way more than we need more DVC or hotels at this point. I believe there will be a point where building more DVC will have to drop the value of resale’s and new stuff. Simple supply & demand - could we be on the brink of too much of a good thing?

So, I’m trying to wrap my head around this one. Wilderness Lodge had a problem booking to capacity so they took a little more than half of the hotel and turned it into Copper Creek DVC (yes, + cabins). One of the biggest drawbacks people always complained about was not being on the monorail (which, BTW, is a feature I love — less folks “stopping by” to check out the resort). So, now we are going to build a new resort with similar transportation drawbacks and add hotel room capacity that we could argue is unneeded. I’m not seeing the appeal of this — maybe if they added some sort of high speed transport Chunnel underneath everything that plops you out in a special Fantasyland entrance only for people staying at the “new RC” but honestly I just don’t get it. Somebody needs to tell me why any more people at these parks is a good thing. We need a 5th Park way more than we need more DVC or hotels at this point. I believe there will be a point where building more DVC will have to drop the value of resale’s and new stuff. Simple supply & demand - could we be on the brink of too much of a good thing?

I think that if the rooms at Wilderness Lodge has been deluxe sized like the Poly or CR, people Disney wouldn't have empty rooms there on the hotel side. But when you combine a small room with transportation via bus or boat, then people balked booking that resort. In reality if you take a bus to MK from WL you are there quicker than any of the monorail resorts.

Sorry... new DVC at CBR...was wondering your thoughts on it.

For one I wish they'd stop building new DVC resorts. I may be in the minority on that, but it's getting to the point where enough is enough. DiznyDad wasn't wrong when he said all these new buyers are going to be competing for the prime DVC resorts during major holidays & events. It may be a DVC. It might even be a very nice DVC, but it's still located at a moderate resort with no easy access to the parks. Don't get me started on that stupid gondola thing. :headache: I've never been a big fan of CBR. It's too big for me and as I own at BCV there really would be no reason for me to book a resort that's kinda, sorta close to Epcot when I can book my home resort & be right there.

Just one woman's opinion. Others may vary. ::yes::

And in other news I'm down to 2 more sleeps until my trip!

AKL had the same issues prior to DVC moving in, low booking numbers.

DVD will continue to build DVC resorts and convert resorts for as long as the public continues to buy direct. Disney doesn't care if there is competition at 11 or 7 months or if the parks are overly crowded. They care about profits and keeping wall street and their board of directors happy. The executives don't get paid bonuses for making guests happy, they get paid bonuses for making money.

:earsboy: Bill

AKL had the same issues prior to DVC moving in, low booking numbers.

DVD will continue to build DVC resorts and convert resorts for as long as the public continues to buy direct. Disney doesn't care if there is competition at 11 or 7 months or if the parks are overly crowded. They care about profits and keeping wall street and their board of directors happy. The executives don't get paid bonuses for making guests happy, they get paid bonuses for making money.

:earsboy: Bill

Agreed, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. You say profit. I say greed. Keep packing them into resorts even though the parks can no longer handle the capacity. I also understand Disney doesn't care what I think or any of us think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter