• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We are getting down to crunch time in making decisions about possible upcoming trips to WDW. Just wondering who else is in the same boat?

Aug 11 is final day to decide, do we get a refund for AP or let it slide and hope for best case scenario...for us, best case scenario is keep AP's intact, push as far as we can to the final month, which for us is mid March and hope, fingers crossed that things open back up, airline restrictions refrain a bit(though we can drive, but already have SW credits that we would really like to use), WDW restrictions let up on mask wearing(we all have our personal issues, mines not a discomfort issue, its truly a health issue with asthma). I feel like DVC, in some capacity, will still be available with accommodations at that point, and Im stretching it out as far as possible, waiting to see as things starting booking up. Our decision is based on this, loss of best use of AP vs. loss of DVC points, if put in system, then not used. Loss of points would be more devastating financially than AP for us.

Each of us has personal feelings about Covid 19 and how it affects our lives, so I dont mean to bring up anything in regards to causing an argument about that. Its more in to how we deal with it in regards to our DVC points, as we all know, we are big WDW and WL lovers. Other world problems are far more important than this, but this is a place I feel I can reach out and get honest answers without fear of repercussion or your answers being reprimanded.
We wondered, too, then decided to just get our money back from our APs. There is no guarantee that Disney will be anywhere near normal come March. In fact, I'd be more than a little surprised if things are back to normal before possibly late next summer or even into next fall. I certainly don't see the mask restrictions going away anytime soon. Now, in terms of visiting and mostly enjoying the Lodge or some other resort, sure. There are ways to soak up the good vibes on a resort-only stay. In fact, that's what we do at HHI. And that leads me to my final point. Perhaps you could consider going to HHI or VB as an alternate. We like HHI much better as there is so much more to do there; that's why we're moving there as soon as possible. In the end, we felt as though we could always get tickets of some nature for Disney's parks when we go back (2022?), but having the refunded money in hand was a better option at this point.

I'm another one who is in the high risk group with asthma as my weakness. I'm still holding onto hope that our December trip will happen one way or another even if we stay in the lodge. :)

Also very much on the fence in regards to cancelling my AP. We know the virus will still be around in December. We know Disney is doing a decent job of trying to keep the parks safe at this time. However, we don't know by how much the crowds will increase and/or Disney will drop all precautions come late fall.

I've often said I'd have no problem staying in a DVC resort, particularly one of my favorites for a week and not going into a park, but now I'm wondering just how bad I'd miss them. If the fireworks were to return before our stay I'd have to keep the pass.

Prediction on fireworks anyone?

Last edited:
Honestly as much as I want to go I'm kind of regretting it right now. We are still gonna try to go through with it at this point and see how things are going in like October but this whole thing is so stressful that I'm thinking we just should have waited. When we made the reservations I really didn't expect things to be this way into January. My biggest worry though is I don't know what would happen if we decide not to go since we purchased someone else's points. If we would end up losing all that money we will probably just go.

We are getting down to crunch time in making decisions about possible upcoming trips to WDW. Just wondering who else is in the same boat?

Aug 11 is final day to decide, do we get a refund for AP or let it slide and hope for best case scenario...for us, best case scenario is keep AP's intact, push as far as we can to the final month, which for us is mid March and hope, fingers crossed that things open back up, airline restrictions refrain a bit(though we can drive, but already have SW credits that we would really like to use), WDW restrictions let up on mask wearing(we all have our personal issues, mines not a discomfort issue, its truly a health issue with asthma). I feel like DVC, in some capacity, will still be available with accommodations at that point, and Im stretching it out as far as possible, waiting to see as things starting booking up. Our decision is based on this, loss of best use of AP vs. loss of DVC points, if put in system, then not used. Loss of points would be more devastating financially than AP for us.

Each of us has personal feelings about Covid 19 and how it affects our lives, so I dont mean to bring up anything in regards to causing an argument about that. Its more in to how we deal with it in regards to our DVC points, as we all know, we are big WDW and WL lovers. Other world problems are far more important than this, but this is a place I feel I can reach out and get honest answers without fear of repercussion or your answers being reprimanded.

I'm in a similar boat. I think I'll cancel because if things do reopen I'll have a conference and another trip but my AP will expire between the two. I've been pushing the decision forward but am hitting that deadline now. Aaarrggg There's a DL AP in the mix too but nothing to decide there so far.

Last edited:

We took the extensions - my AP expired back in June before they announced any re-open dates or plans so I renewed it and said I’d take the extension. Jerry’s pass expires in Oct and I was thinking of taking the partial refund (not cancel with refund) option they were offering earlier so that our passes would end up both expiring around the same time...but when I called to do that, it was no longer an option...we have Sept and Dec trips scheduled that we’re keeping. We’re not park or pool people much so limited time at both is ok with us...

Well, today we cancelled our upcoming December trip. It was a tough decision, but we have pretty much been sheltered-in-place since March and we just don't see Disney as a fun place to visit with the masks, social distancing, and reduced park hours. More importantly, we have seen the "I spent a ton of money and I'll do what I want" entitlement attitude for many years at WDW...so we really don't trust the general public to be 100% on board with safety protocols. We will end up losing 52 points that were already banked once and will expire before our next trip. Sad to lose them but in the scheme of things not a disaster.

Like so many others, we still have basically two years worth of points for next year. I can only imagine the issues these point stockpiles will generate for the next few years as point supply will far exceed villa availability. I suppose that we will all need to become expert "reservation walkers". 😟

Question: If you were in Territory Lounge right now, what would you be ordering?
When DH and I popped in for a late meal last year we split the fondue and the cobbler. Both were great and I would happily get them again.
Whats your favorite lounge in a resort and a park and why?
For resort lounge it would definitely be Geyser Point and for in park it is Nomad Lounge all the way!
Its pouring rain outside, you have 2 days left in your vacation at WDW. Do you go hit that park, because it will be empty, or, do you hang out at the Lodge? And why?
I vote for a resort day. Sleep in, maybe hit the gym, a yummy lunch, read, nap and relax.
We will end up losing 52 points that were already banked once and will expire before our next trip. Sad to lose them but in the scheme of things not a disaster.
How about transferring them to RCI? I have 74 banked 2019 points that I am hoping to use at DHHIR in March but if things are still bad by late December I will cancel and transfer them.

How about transferring them to RCI? I have 74 banked 2019 points that I am hoping to use at DHHIR in March but if things are still bad by late December I will cancel and transfer them.

Suse...thank you for the suggestion. To be honest, I don't know anything about RCI and how it works. I have seen others post that it is a good place to store unusable points for a couple of years. I'm not sure what putting 52 points in with RCI would do for us? I guess I really don't have an excuse to be ignorant about RCI. After all, it's not like my days are jammed full of activity. :)

Mid-week hello to the Groupies! Not much to report except our school district has pushed school back three weeks until after Labor Day, and then the entire first grading period will be virtual only. Not an ideal outcome, but certainly the smartest way to handle things here in our neck of the woods, especially since our area has the highest per capita rate of COVID-19 infection in the entire state.

As for Disney, our news is we're still trying to get down to HHI. Our house is under contract, so we're not too many weeks away from moving. Guess who interviewed with DHHIR folks and now has a second, FaceTime interview coming this Saturday? pirate:

Mid-week hello to the Groupies! Not much to report except our school district has pushed school back three weeks until after Labor Day, and then the entire first grading period will be virtual only. Not an ideal outcome, but certainly the smartest way to handle things here in our neck of the woods, especially since our area has the highest per capita rate of COVID-19 infection in the entire state.

As for Disney, our news is we're still trying to get down to HHI. Our house is under contract, so we're not too many weeks away from moving. Guess who interviewed with DHHIR folks and now has a second, FaceTime interview coming this Saturday? pirate:
How exciting!! Good Luck you will do amazing!,
My dream job is to work for DVC. I have been in sales My whole life but I don’t love what I sell. I love Disney so I think it would be amazing and if not sales then DVC CM on the phones helping people plan trips.
I am so sad to say we cancelled our trip for this month. We are getting married next month and this trip was rescheduled from April. People were worried about us getting sick before our wedding and then My soon to be received a notice from work that he would have to quarantine before he could return to work back in the end of Jube so we rescheduled to December but now Im not sure that was such a good idea.
I am worried things will be worse in December. Also if DD school is back full time she will probably have to quarantine before returning.
So hard.

Good luck!!!

Good luck! So exciting you might be working for Disney! You got this!

Sleepy...best wishes on your DHH interview! Disney would be crazy not to bring you on board!

One tip...if during the interview they ask your opinion of the changes at VWL...just grit your teeth, smile and spout the company line about how you feel that the changes must have been based on guest feedback! :teeth:

Sleepy...best wishes on your DHH interview! Disney would be crazy not to bring you on board!

One tip...if during the interview they ask your opinion of the changes at VWL...just grit your teeth, smile and spout the company line about how you feel that the changes must have been based on guest feedback! :teeth:

I used the laugh emoji, good one Granny! But also wanted to add the sad emoji. :(

I laughed my a** off at this, Granny! So did Luv! Too, too funny. . .yet, so very accurate. Sage words, sensei.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter