VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Sleepy...as always, the Groupies are providing some sound advice for you in your decision. I would tend to think of the job decision in terms of which one fits better in your ideas of what you want to do with your life in Hilton Head. Part of that might be working full time vs part time. Part of that might be the benefits, though I think you have stated that your main goal in a job is to give you something to do.

I like the flexibility of part-time which is what I did the last year prior to my full retirement. So I'd probably be leaning that way especially since it is Disney. And Disney rewards seniority for Cast Members by giving them the opportunity to move to more coveted jobs as they gain years of service. So you don't have to feel that you are locking yourself in to anything permanent.

But Sea Pines is a beautiful resort, and if you golf you simply cannot beat Harbour Town which is a great golf course that you probably could play for a big discount or free.

As @Corinne indicated, you will definitely end up with a bit of a different relationship with Disney if you are an employee. It's unavoidable that you will have an association that would potentially include some "unmagical" corporate policies, procedures or fellow employees. But the best part is that you are in a position that you don't "need" the job, which can really help out the mental calmness on a daily basis.

The best part of the decision is that you really can't go far wrong. Positions at various resorts, including Disney, will continue to become available in the normal course of business. So it's not like you would be burning any bridges no matter which offer you accept.

My final piece of advice is to think of this decision similar to the process you went through with buying DVC. You don't buy DVC to handle this year's vacation accommodations, or even the next couple of years. It's more about filling long term wants and needs. So see which job in your mind fits best in this next phase of your life. And which one will put you closer to whatever ideal situation is in your mind for your retirement.

Good luck! :)

Sleepy, I know its your decision, and you need to do whats best for you. For me, if I was in this position, Im thinking retirement or semi at the least, Disney would be my choice. PT vs FT, PT it is, money is better, hmmm. Benefits maybe the weighing factor? Free WDW tickets, nice. Being able to re apply(and I too can see you in a Rangerish type position in the future). Speaking of, Stan loved his job as a PTimer. Just sayin :goodvibes

Is anybody else getting an image of Sleepy achieving Ranger Stan or Art (Beach Club) type status at HHI? "Where's the CM who is so friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about HHI and Disney?" :teeth:
Sleepy, I know its your decision, and you need to do whats best for you. For me, if I was in this position, Im thinking retirement or semi at the least, Disney would be my choice. PT vs FT, PT it is, money is better, hmmm. Benefits maybe the weighing factor? Free WDW tickets, nice. Being able to re apply(and I too can see you in a Rangerish type position in the future). Speaking of, Stan loved his job as a PTimer. Just sayin :goodvibes
Sleepy...as always, the Groupies are providing some sound advice for you in your decision. I would tend to think of the job decision in terms of which one fits better in your ideas of what you want to do with your life in Hilton Head. Part of that might be working full time vs part time. Part of that might be the benefits, though I think you have stated that your main goal in a job is to give you something to do.

I like the flexibility of part-time which is what I did the last year prior to my full retirement. So I'd probably be leaning that way especially since it is Disney. And Disney rewards seniority for Cast Members by giving them the opportunity to move to more coveted jobs as they gain years of service. So you don't have to feel that you are locking yourself in to anything permanent.

But Sea Pines is a beautiful resort, and if you golf you simply cannot beat Harbour Town which is a great golf course that you probably could play for a big discount or free.

As @Corinne indicated, you will definitely end up with a bit of a different relationship with Disney if you are an employee. It's unavoidable that you will have an association that would potentially include some "unmagical" corporate policies, procedures or fellow employees. But the best part is that you are in a position that you don't "need" the job, which can really help out the mental calmness on a daily basis.

The best part of the decision is that you really can't go far wrong. Positions at various resorts, including Disney, will continue to become available in the normal course of business. So it's not like you would be burning any bridges no matter which offer you accept.

My final piece of advice is to think of this decision similar to the process you went through with buying DVC. You don't buy DVC to handle this year's vacation accommodations, or even the next couple of years. It's more about filling long term wants and needs. So see which job in your mind fits best in this next phase of your life. And which one will put you closer to whatever ideal situation is in your mind for your retirement.

Good luck! :)
Wow. Just wow. The support from the Groupies is amazing. . .puts a tear or two in my eye, gotta say. I know many others commented, as well, and I'm just as appreciative of those words of support and encouragement, too. This, THIS, is why I love being a part of the Groupies. Good news, bad news, and all areas in between? Groupies are there to share, commiserate, cheer, and offer support. Thanks is hardly a good enough word, but I'll say it anyway: thank you.

And, duh, I accepted the Disney offer yesterday. It wasn't too hard of a decision, really. The three comments above really hit on the reasons why I did. First, well, it's Disney. Yes, I will also see the warts part of the operation. After 21 years in the military, I saw plenty of those and same with teaching. I don't expect them to be perfect, but I do see what the team there has done over the years--become the best group of CMs anywhere, and now I hope to add my positivity. Second, yeah, that whole PT vs FT was a big deal. I AM supposed to be semi-retired, after all. At least, that's what Luv keeps telling me. I have a lot of interests that don't involve working FT: biking, fishing, gardening, and acting to name a few. Hard to enjoy those when you're working FT. Third, as many noted, if I love it there and want to move up to FT, I suspect the opportunity will be there, certainly at some other resort like Marriott (this was the second time I'd been offered a position with them, the first time the timing wasn't good for them). As for benefits, that aspect was minor in the overall scheme. I don't know what perks/discounts PT work gets through Disney (maybe none for all I know), but anything will be great, and I don't need the healthcare aspect given my background. I'm fortunate. Last, I don't know that there is a Ranger Stan type position there, but if there is, I'm putting the person on notice now. pirate: As I've related on here before, I always thought that would be a great position and, in fact, JT and I have talked about doing it as a tag team down the road. Well, JT, looks as though you can pursue that position on your own now unless you wanna come to HHI when you retire. 8-)

Anyway, I agreed to the position yesterday, and they are happy to work with me and the timing of our move to HHI. No "get down here as soon as you can" but rather a "you get moved and once you're here, we'll begin your onboarding." Good first impression. Okay, folks, back to the normally scheduled programming. . .
P.S. I did a small update on Page 1.

Sleepy...thanks for updating us with your decision. I think it's awesome that you will be an official Disney Cast Member. And I think it is even better that you are able to achieve that status at a non-WDW resort. That keeps WDW still a "magical" location for you and Luv.

I agree with the others that you may become an icon at the resort as they see what you have to offer in terms of knowledge, friendliness and reliability. I think somewhere down the road we'll have to schedule a Groupie meet at DHHIR to see our own "Sleepy the Greeter". :thumbsup2

What is the most obscure event or ride that you remember that others may not?
For me it is the Holly Jolly Christmas party that they used to have at the Contemporary. We loved it! Nice dinner and a show all around you filled with Christmas music. I wish they still did it.

That sounds like a lot of fun! I'd go!

For myself I've been thinking - been going to Disney so long now that there are several things I remember that others wouldn't have even had a chance at so not exactly obscure but gone. There is one absolutely obscure event I attended. The opening event for WOC of DCA. They had all these crazy dancing tall figures created just for use that one night. Since it was all new I thought it was going to be a nightly part of the show but nope.

The rather brief Rocket Rods at DL is the thing I'm sad about missing. They were testing while we were there on a visit and by the time I finally made it back to DL it was already rusting and rotting away.

WAIT - new #1. I saw the pink cake castle live and in person. :cake:

That sounds like a lot of fun! I'd go!

For myself I've been thinking - been going to Disney so long now that there are several things I remember that others wouldn't have even had a chance at so not exactly obscure but gone. There is one absolutely obscure event I attended. The opening event for WOC of DCA. They had all these crazy dancing tall figures created just for use that one night. Since it was all new I thought it was going to be a nightly part of the show but nope.

The rather brief Rocket Rods at DL is the thing I'm sad about missing. They were testing while we were there on a visit and by the time I finally made it back to DL it was already rusting and rotting away.

WAIT - new #1. I saw the pink cake castle live and in person. :cake:
I saw the pink cake castle too! LOL I have to check out what the Rocket Rods were.

Sleepy...thanks for updating us with your decision. I think it's awesome that you will be an official Disney Cast Member. And I think it is even better that you are able to achieve that status at a non-WDW resort. That keeps WDW still a "magical" location for you and Luv.

I agree with the others that you may become an icon at the resort as they see what you have to offer in terms of knowledge, friendliness and reliability. I think somewhere down the road we'll have to schedule a Groupie meet at DHHIR to see our own "Sleepy the Greeter". :thumbsup2
Awesome news Sleepy!! All the more reason now to make DHHI resort a must do!! I like the idea of a Groupie meet there
Groupies meetup at HHI - Count us in!
Sounds like a plan! I know just the place to meet!!

Not really obscure but it may not be well known if you've not been to DL: Storybook Land. Love the miniature houses, castles, and foliage. I used to ride it back in the day when I was stationed in southern CA. Night time was always the best--very romantic.

Sounds like a plan! I know just the place to meet!!

Not really obscure but it may not be well known if you've not been to DL: Storybook Land. Love the miniature houses, castles, and foliage. I used to ride it back in the day when I was stationed in southern CA. Night time was always the best--very romantic.

A favorite of mine too! I don't always ride it because the wait can get long at times. The childhood anxiousness of floating into Monstro still pops up just a little every time. :laughing:

Congratulations on the job Pat, I think you made a wise decision.

If You Had Wings (aka Dream flight in its final years). I loved this ride, the ending scene where it gave us the illusion of speeding up would make my belly do happy flops as I called them. We can still see a toned down version of this today in Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, but it's not as exhilarating. I must have ridden it 100 times as it was free (sponsored) verses all the others we needed our tickets for. I still recall the first visit after Disney implemented general admission in lieu of ride tickets. It was amazing and a bit overwhelming that we could go on anything we wanted to without hitting up the ticket booth over and over again.

Fun fact: Disney used the same ride path for Buzz as the original If you had wings.

Last edited:
The most obscure event or ride missed?

For me its Illuminations. I know a lot of folks liked it but it seemed just as easy for folks not liking it. Its the thing that hooked me my 1st time in the parks. We had run hard or 1st full day in Orlando, went to Seaworld and already had enough days in tickets to go ahead to WDW. So instead of hitting the room after 2 long days, we hit Epcot. I was tired, ready for bed and we are standing around for an hour(learned my lesson)waiting for fireworks. I whispered to T, "why are we waiting for fireworks, we can see this at home on July4th and Halloween", then the man started talking, the lights went dim, at the fire blew out, and the music cranked up, and I was hooked!

Looks like the next show will be a good one, but Illuminations will always be #1 in my book

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter