• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking to / from TTC instead of monorail

DisneyPhotographics

Earning My Ears
Heading to Magic Kingdom next week (a few days before Christmas) expecting massive crowds. I've heard wait times for a monorail to TTC at the end of the night can be up to 2 hours and that the walk from MK to TTC is around 40 minutes.

Anyone walked? Advice? Shortcuts? Any coffee stops along the way or places to rest as we cut through the resorts?

Not looking forward to walking 40 minutes after the whole day, but standing in monorail wait crowds for 2 hours sounds worse.

We are staying probably 15 minutes off property so a bus or ride share aren't really great options.

Thanks for any tips.

I'll make a suggestion that might make sense! Instead of walking towards GF to get all the way around to TTC, perhaps make the 10-minute walk to Contemporary Resort, walk up to the monorail station there, and finish the loop to TTC. It's very likely folks will be getting off the monorail at CR and it's also likely there won't be much of a line to get on at the resort at that time of night, so you could get right on at that point.

You should also have the ferry boat option across the lake, and they hold a lot of people!

It would be a very long walk from MK to TTC (via GF & Poly). There is that fairly new path between MK & GF. I thought I saw some other recent posts that part of the path was rerouted due to the ongoing construction. The basic issue when the park closes after the fireworks is that a LOT of people are all trying to exit at one time.

When we last stayed at the Contemporary there is a balcony where you watch the fire works. One option would be to watch from there and then take the monorail to TTC which would be the next stop. We were mostly interested in the fireworks so even if we couldn't see some of the lighted features near the castle, thought this was a MUCH better option and a way to avoid huge crowds.

I'll make a suggestion that might make sense! Instead of walking towards GF to get all the way around to TTC, perhaps make the 10-minute walk to Contemporary Resort, walk up to the monorail station there, and finish the loop to TTC. It's very likely folks will be getting off the monorail at CR and it's also likely there won't be much of a line to get on at the resort at that time of night, so you could get right on at that point.

You should also have the ferry boat option across the lake, and they hold a lot of people!
Wow, great idea. So that monorail will go to TTC? Never ridden it from there. Thanks.

It would be a very long walk from MK to TTC (via GF & Poly). There is that fairly new path between MK & GF. I thought I saw some other recent posts that part of the path was rerouted due to the ongoing construction. The basic issue when the park closes after the fireworks is that a LOT of people are all trying to exit at one time.

When we last stayed at the Contemporary there is a balcony where you watch the fire works. One option would be to watch from there and then take the monorail to TTC which would be the next stop. We were mostly interested in the fireworks so even if we couldn't see some of the lighted features near the castle, thought this was a MUCH better option and a way to avoid huge crowds.
Same great idea as the other poster. We love seeing fireworks from there. Never thought of this. Thanks!

Yes, monorail runs in a clockwise circle between MK, Contemporary, TTC, Poly, GF in that order. The is also an express monorail on a separate track the only goes between TTC & MK.

The balcony at the Contemporary is on the same level as Chef Mickey's but at the opposite end past those gift shops. Not sure what floor they consider that due to how they number things. You do NOT have to be staying @ Contemporary to walk out on the balcony.

You definitely don't want to be trying to walk from the MK to the TTC with the re-routed path while major Poly2 construction is occurring. Especially not at night since there are two street crossings that can be hazardous in daylight due to "flying low drivers."

Once the path from GF to Poly gets back to normal, it's a fun walk, we thought.

We did the entire way from MK to TTC shortly after the new GF to MK walkway opened. Took us about 45 minutes at a steady though not rushed pace.

It does feel like a heckuva walk, though, so might not be advisable if you've been hoofing it around the MK for a few hours.

Anyone walked? Advice? Shortcuts? Any coffee stops along the way or places to rest as we cut through the resorts?

day, but standing in monorail wait crowds for 2 hours sounds worse.

We are staying probably 15 minutes off property so a bus or ride share aren't reaQuick questionlly great or any tips.

The issue with trying to board at the Contemporary is that at the end of the evening, few will be getting off the Monorail. Many will see those massive waits for the Monorail and decide to walk back to BLT or the Contemporary.

The issue with trying to board at the Contemporary is that at the end of the evening, few will be getting off the Monorail. Many will see those massive waits for the Monorail and decide to walk back to BLT or the Contemporary.
More than likely true, I agree.

It's only about a 10-minute walk from MK to CR. I bet most aware there's that sidewalk opt to walk rather than get on the monorail.

Anybody unable to walk that much further or wanting to avoid the crush probably leaves the MK well before event's end. We usually do that.

Do they still have the motor launches that go MK>GF>Poly? I suggest that, get off at the Poly and then walk to TTC from there.

The Resort Monorail line is always shorter than the Express; definitely not two hours. I'd suggest that.

Or Ferry, which is probably faster than either.

Last edited:
The issue here is that ANY Disney transportation will be mobbed at park closing or special event's end.

Really, there's no good advice for those intent upon staying to the end but to wait for the mode of transportation that seems most workable, being exceptionally patient.

The issue here is that ANY Disney transportation will be mobbed at park closing or special event's end.

Really, there's no good advice for those intent upon staying to the end but to wait for the mode of transportation that seems most workable, being exceptionally patient.
I'd rather spend a half hour or so with a sundae from Plaza Ice Cream and some shopping/browsing while the bulk of everyone else is standing in line for a bus or a monorail. When I'm finished, transportation links are really short. I just build the sundae/shopping time in to my plan for the day.

A 2 hour wait on any form of transportation to the TTC (Express Monorail, Resort Monorail, Ferryboat) would be unusual IMHO.

OP, how are you defining “end of the night” - park closing? After fireworks?

Between the three options it’s relatively easy to eyeball the lines and make a judgement call at the time. The Express Monorail does tend to be many TTC goers first choice and that line can back up, that’s when the Resort Monorail or Ferryboat can be more attractive. As long as things are operating normally those Ferryboats can move a lot of people quickly.

If all heck is breaking loose the MK-GF-Poly boat would be an option, get off at Poly and walk to the TTC.

I agree that walking from MK to the TTC is less than ideal at the moment given the path detour at Poly, wouldn’t be my first chose unless something is wrong and things are down.

Have fun!

I'll add to the suggestion to consider the ferry. Now that they have two docks at each end and the new double-decker gangways, they can load several hundred people very quickly, and as soon as one ferry pulls away another is waiting to dock and load (they can run three or four ferries at one time). They've worked hard to organize queues for the ferry, too, and are much more efficient. I don't know what the capacity is for ferry vs. monorail, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the ferry can transport as many or more passengers in the same amount of time as the monorail can.

On Christmas, MK closes at 11:00, Enchantment is at 8:15. A huge number will leave after fireworks. If you want until around 10:45, I bet lines will not be as long.

Don't try it! We're local but usually stay at Bay Lake Tower when our adult kids visit, and it's nearly impossible to get on the resort monorail at CR just after fireworks because lots of people at MK see the long express monorail line at MK, take the resort monorail instead, and don't get off until they reach the TTC, leaving NO room for guests who try to board at CR. One night we tried to get to Poly for a late dinner reservation and they wouldn't even let us up onto the CR monorail platform because the line was so long and barely moving. Take the ferry; when we've parked at TTC we've never waited more than 2 boats (about 20-25 minutes).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter