Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I called because the annual fee hit and I got a retention bonus of 5,000 starpoints. Not great, but enough for me to justify the annual fee. The free night on your cardmember anniversary, could be enough to keep me around... if S&D or similar level hotels are eligible. Until august I will use my SPG for my everyday spend like I've been doing, but after that, if I keep it in my wallet it will be for the free night and the amex offers and the bonus categories (I have the business card and it will have 4x on U.S. restaurants, gas stations, on cellphone services... which is in effect slightly higher than the 1x Starpoints I'm getting now.
The free night fine print says:
Beginning with your first renewal on or after August 1, 2018, you will receive a Free Night Award that you can redeem for a one-night stay at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards properties with a redemption level at or under 35,000 points (additional mandatory resort fees may apply) every year of Card Membership.
The points needed for a free night at Starwood hotels will be adjusted August 1st, so the Swan & Dolphin may or may not be eligible for the free night. With the change in points earned by the Starwood Amex from 1 point to 2 points/dollar for non-Marriott & Starwood charges - it's actually a devaluation of value. Had they changed to earning 3 points/dollar for non-hotel charges, it would've been equivalent to points earned until August 1st. I will be using my Starwood AMEX only for Starwood or Marriott charges beginning August 1st.

One more thing: the free night isn't earned until you pay your annual fee on or after August 1, 2018! I called AMEX to confirm this, as our annual fee is billed in July. It was suggested that we change our payment date from the 15th of the month to the 28th, so that the closing date of our next bill (with the charge for the annual fee) will be August 3 rather than July 20. That way we'll get our free night certificate almost a year earlier.

Last edited:
I have both the SPG AMEX Business and 'regular'. Is there any benefit to continuing both? If not, which is 'best'?

I have both the SPG AMEX Business and 'regular'. Is there any benefit to continuing both? If not, which is 'best'?
You would have to compare the benefits of the regular Starwood AMEX beginning August 1st with the business AMEX (https://apply.americanexpress.com/spgstatementcredits/). Other than the annual free night award with the regular Starwood AMEX beginning Aug. 1st - the 2 points/dollar earned is a devaluation, since it now takes 3 times more points for a free Starwood hotel night.

**Edited to say that since the annual fee for both the regular Starwood AMEX and Business AMEX is the same ($95) - the business card earns more points.

PERSONAL STARWOOD AMEX

Effective August 1, 2018: Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.‡

BUSINESS STARWOOD AMEX

Effective August 1, 2018:
Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 4 points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers, and on U.S. purchases for shipping. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.‡

Last edited:
Just an update on the schedule for the return of Friendship boat service from / to Hollywood Studios. It looks like they are going to miss today, and the most recently listed June 24th date.

The new statement: ... temporary closed until approximately June 29, 2018.

Dave
Are you still able to walk over the bridge to HS?

Thanks Nancy.
You would have to compare the benefits of the regular Starwood AMEX beginning August 1st with the business AMEX (https://apply.americanexpress.com/spgstatementcredits/). Other than the annual free night award with the regular Starwood AMEX beginning Aug. 1st - the 2 points/dollar earned is a devaluation, since it now takes 3 times more points for a free Starwood hotel night.

**Edited to say that since the annual fee for both the regular Starwood AMEX and Business AMEX is the same ($95) - the business card earns more points.

PESONAL STARWOOD AMEX

Effective August 1, 2018: Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.‡

BUSINESS STARWOOD AMEX

Effective August 1, 2018:
Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 4 points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers, and on U.S. purchases for shipping. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.‡

Make sure you do not get a room that is a connector. We were in a room with a connecting door and you could everything in the room next door.
Thank you. Do you think I should specifically request a non-connecting room or is there an area on ground level with patios that doesn't have that type of room that I could request to be in? I'm concerned that if I ask for a "quiet" room that I'll get a room with a really long walk. Are there rooms at the Dolphin that are equivalent to what Disney calls "preferred" at their resorts?

The new statement: ... temporary closed until approximately June 29, 2018.

That's a big difference from the 6/23 date - nearly a week. Which means (likely) they really don't know how long.

We're there in less than 4 weeks. I hope they make it by then. It's a long walk in the heat and I'm not crazy about taking a bus with a party of 8 people including 2 kids under 5.

One more thing: the free night isn't earned until you pay your annual fee on or after August 1, 2018! I called AMEX to confirm this, as our annual fee is billed in July. It was suggested that we change our payment date from the 15th of the month to the 28th, so that the closing date of our next bill (with the charge for the annual fee) will be August 3 rather than July 20. That way we'll get our free night certificate almost a year earlier.
This is interesting, my fee also hits on the July 20th.

This is interesting, my fee also hits on the July 20th.
Since my June billing cycle just closed on the 20th, I went ahead and changed the payment due date (online) to the 28th of the month. My June 20 bill will still be due on July 15, but my new payment due date of the 28th will take effect on the NEXT closing date - now August 3rd (instead of July 20th). Good luck if you decide to change yours!

Since my June billing cycle just closed on the 20th, I went ahead and changed the payment due date (online) to the 28th of the month. My June 20 bill will still be due on July 15, but my new payment due date of the 28th will take effect on the NEXT closing date - now August 3rd (instead of July 20th). Good luck if you decide to change yours!
I did after reading your post :) Same thing with mine, July payment is the 14th, next will be Aug 3rd

The free night fine print says:

The points needed for a free night at Starwood hotels will be adjusted August 1st, so the Swan & Dolphin may or may not be eligible for the free night. With the change in points earned by the Starwood Amex from 1 point to 2 points/dollar for non-Marriott & Starwood charges - it's actually a devaluation of value. Had they changed to earning 3 points/dollar for non-hotel charges, it would've been equivalent to points earned until August 1st. I will be using my Starwood AMEX only for Starwood or Marriott charges beginning August 1st.

Yes the 35,000 night may or may not include s&d, since their equivalents right now would be 36,000. Time will tell. I’m aware of the anniversary night not available until next year which is why I called for a retention offer when my fee hit in May. That’s also why the only thing I’ll use my spg biz for is the bonus categories (4x) which will actually will be slightly higher than the 1x starpoints earned now, like 1.33 starpoints?

While possible to add any room requests. You booked what is know as a "limited" view room from Hotwire. The only guarantee is the bedding type if you picked one vs letting the hotel decide.

It can't hurt and it does not cost anything to make room requests. Just make sure that you reference the actual hotel confirmation and not the Hotwire itinerary number or the Hotwire confirmation number.

Dave
Is this true of a hotels.com reservation as well? What type of room requests are not considered upgrades? So excited to be staying at the dolphin in September! Thanks in advance!!!

Question for you all.. I booked 2 nights/3 days through the hotwire deal at the Dolphin for 9/1-9/3. I since was able to get more time off of work, so I added 8/29-9/1, which I booked directly through the hotel's website. I made sure that I booked the same category as I had for the hotwire deal, so I'm hoping I won't have to switch rooms. Should I call them in advance and ask about this, or just ask when I check in if they can keep me in the same room? Both reservations are linked to my MDE account. Thanks!

Question for you all.. I booked 2 nights/3 days through the hotwire deal at the Dolphin for 9/1-9/3. I since was able to get more time off of work, so I added 8/29-9/1, which I booked directly through the hotel's website. I made sure that I booked the same category as I had for the hotwire deal, so I'm hoping I won't have to switch rooms. Should I call them in advance and ask about this, or just ask when I check in if they can keep me in the same room? Both reservations are linked to my MDE account. Thanks!

I would suggest you contact Dolphin now via SwanDolphin.com. Click on the “Home” tab at the top of the page. Click on “VIP Concierge Services”. Select “Room Request”. There’s a “Comments” section on the “Special Room Request” form where you can list both reservation numbers and your desire to make sure they’re linked so you won’t have to change rooms. You’ll hear back from them within a day or 2. :thumbsup2

I called prior to my stay when I booked reservations. They didn’t need to move my room.

Last time we stayed I used the room request feature on the website and asked them if I could stay in the same room for both reservations, it worked great.

We will be there July 4th to the 7th on 2 separate reservations, did the room request again and they emailed me back the next day saying they linked the reservation so I can stay in the same room.

http://swandolphinconcierge.com/

Is this true of a hotels.com reservation as well? What type of room requests are not considered upgrades? So excited to be staying at the dolphin in September! Thanks in advance!!!
Any third party booking will be for a specific room category just like you can on the SPG site or the www.swandolphin.com sites. That's how they price rooms.

Basic room requests that would apply the the same room category as your booking room category are things like: high floor, low floor, location near or away from the elevators, or near lobby. And finally connecting or adjoining rooms.

Room requests "Upgrades" that cross booking categories are requests like: a resort view, balcony or bedding selection since each of these are priced booking categories. These are considered "Upgrades". So if you booked a traditional limited view double bed room then don't expect a King room, resort view with a balcony as a free upgrade. While upgrades can and do happen, just don't expect it to be offered for free.

Dave

At Swan right now and there is a dog next door barking like crazy. Fun listen at 10:30 pm. Poor pup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter