Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I’m sure I know the answer to this but with so many amenities being closed, any chance the resort fee will be waived?
I’m going to guess that’s a hard “NO”

continuing saga of Fall trip...adult DS bailed as HHN was cancelled :sad2: boohoo, now just the Mr & me.

To preserve our DVC points (JIK cancellation) booked direct thru hotel website via the AP rate which was lowest.

I curse their crappy website, well; other than that handy feature where you can select to see the nightly average rate with all fees. Wish all hotel chains offered that option!

AP rate less than POP, a no brainer, or so I thought

Received email confirmation, instead of the $170 I had expected...

Was charged nearly $700. This is a fully refundable reservation booked with the AP code, which was far less than AAA, senior etc.

Called in & told “that particular resort now charges upfront for all fees & taxes for the entire reservation”

Why? Ridiculous policy IMO. I’m keeping the reservation as is, but cannot wrap head around it not being boldly indicated on website.

and that seems to be the one constant in all of this... change!

What he said lol.

Received email confirmation, instead of the $170 I had expected...

Was charged nearly $700. This is a fully refundable reservation booked with the AP code, which was far less than AAA, senior etc.
Actually it was that poor web site that you mentioned above with the details buried at the bottom section of the page below the Credit Card information. Here is an example of the detail(s):

Swan details.jpg
They have been using this process for all of 2020. To qualify for these low rates they require prepayment that can be cancelled with a full refund up to 5 days before arrival

Dave

Actually it was that poor web site that you mentioned above with the details buried at the bottom section of the page below the Credit Card information. Here is an example of the detail(s):

View attachment 513511
They have been using this process for all of 2020. To qualify for these low rates they require prepayment that can be cancelled with a full refund up to 5 days before arrival

Dave
Can’t saw I saw that ‘fine print’ lol but thanks for pointing it out.

So I’m armed & dangerous going forward, any idea if they do the same with AAA & Senior rates?

Can’t saw I saw that ‘fine print’ lol but thanks for pointing it out.

So I’m armed & dangerous going forward, any idea if they do the same with AAA & Senior rates?
No not for AAA or Seniors at the moment but always subject to change.

They do want prepayment for APs & Florida Residents. Sometimes they will offer a further discounted AAA rate that requires prepayment.

The Marriott site is a little flaky as it uses dynamic pricing based on the availability of the resort. This can result in odd pricing being returned. For example currently there are two 2 AAA basic rates. One at $170 and a second one at $181 that requires you to prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking, no changes.

Dave

They have been using this process for all of 2020.
I'd say it was a cash grab during the Covid-19 crisis, but you're 100% right they seemed to make this move earlier this year, as I recall it caught a few people then too. They figure for the good rates is a decent trade off on the customers part, and probably a better deal when its on their own branded cards too. Figure all the people paying up front, that money is either used for operations or dropped in an account earning some interest, compound that and it's not a bad deal for them.

Asking on this thread because I know there are many Marriott loyalists here.
I have a bunch of Free Night awards (35,000 points or lower/night) that expire in January. I don’t think I’ll be using them, so I wanted to donate them. I was thinking maybe hotel stays for families of people in our local children’s hospitals.
Has anyone done this before? I can’t find anything online about how to do so and didn’t have it in me to call the Bonvoy customer service just yet.

I had one that was expiring this past March, and called Bonvoy to extend it. I got an extra year, then got my new award so have two to use until next year now.

I’m thinking the ‘pay the resort fee upfront’ policy may have also been implemented to deter people who wouldn’t normally hesitate to cancel existing reservation. Typically, easy enough replace it with heavily discounted last minute priceline one when it pops up; as long as you aren’t invested in their rewards program.

Even though the rates are currently , I’m expecting some significant price drops for the September booking period...both here & other non-disney, 4 star properties in Orlando.

Whether it comes in special rates/promos or thru 3rd party vendors, will be checking :)

Back in April, when we booked a room for December, our credit card was only charged one night's deposit despite the Marriott website erroneously quoting a deposit of 4 nights worth (out of 10) during checkout (I'm guessing because there were 4 differently nightly rates across our stay). We did book the slightly more expensive fully-refundable rate, though.

I booked the AAA rate and my credit card was charged a deposit for the first night of our 5 night stay. I want to pay the balance with the Marriott gift cards that I bought during their 20% off promo a few weeks ago, so I sure hope they don't charge my credit card for the remaining nights.

I booked the AAA rate and my credit card was charged a deposit for the first night of our 5 night stay. I want to pay the balance with the Marriott gift cards that I bought during their 20% off promo a few weeks ago, so I sure hope they don't charge my credit card for the remaining nights.
I asked about this a few days ago and you can pay with the gift cards when you check out.

I've been pricing Swan & Dolphin for a possible holiday stay this year. (99% sure I'm not going to do it, but it is something positive to dream about right now.) Looking at AAA & the Teacher discount. The refundable rates want a deposit of approximately 50% of the total.

I booked the AAA rate a few days ago. I had a reservation at the Dolphin and had heard it would be closed due to MLS still being there, so I booked at the Swan instead. The rate I booked is refundable, but I only had to pay a deposit of one night's stay, not 50%. The wording on the reservation made it sound like I would to pay for all nights up front, but that is not how it normally works.

So, we’re full speed ahead with our August AP discounted Swan stay, very excited! Now I just need some advice on which room section/numbers to request. We booked the standard view room (hoping for upgrade since we are Bonvoy members?). Usually I request top floor in hotels, but thinking ground/low floor might be better to avoid elevators. Or maybe the elevator ride’s not so bad in the lower section “arms” of the hotel. Would also like a room as close to the pool complex at Dolphin as possible. Anyone have recommendations? TIA 😊

So, we’re full speed ahead with our August AP discounted Swan stay, very excited! Now I just need some advice on which room section/numbers to request. We booked the standard view room (hoping for upgrade since we are Bonvoy members?). Usually I request top floor in hotels, but thinking ground/low floor might be better to avoid elevators. Or maybe the elevator ride’s not so bad in the lower section “arms” of the hotel. Would also like a room as close to the pool complex at Dolphin as possible. Anyone have recommendations? TIA 😊
There are no ground floor rooms at the Swan. And not sure if you can use stairs to go up. Obviously you can to go down, fire. Just not sure about going up. Probably can. Elevators are very quick to respond, and quick going up and down. Just be careful with riding with others, and use your wrist, a pen or something other than your fingers to push the buttons.

The wing that is closest to the S/D pool area would be the west wing at the Swan. As seen here, the west arm sticks out some, but almost everybody exits the central entrance/exit, the circular hub between the two arms, pictured here.

Hope that helps some.

https://goo.gl/maps/1A3Fhcjp7BS9UasB7

There are no ground floor rooms at the Swan. And not sure if you can use stairs to go up. Obviously you can to go down, fire. Just not sure about going up. Probably can. Elevators are very quick to respond, and quick going up and down. Just be careful with riding with others, and use your wrist, a pen or something other than your fingers to push the buttons.

The wing that is closest to the S/D pool area would be the west wing at the Swan. As seen here, the west arm sticks out some, but almost everybody exits the central entrance/exit, the circular hub between the two arms, pictured here.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks Dan! That is definitely helpful. Do you know if the west and east wings have their own elevators that then bring you to the main entrance/exit you mentioned? Or if they have separate exits that would make it beneficial to request to be near the pool? If so, I guess the room location wouldn’t really matter. I think I read somewhere that the east wing rooms have a nice view of Epcot.

Hope that helps some.

Darn, that Google Map link sure makes me homesick. :( :bored:

@armerida hard to say during all of this how upgrades will be handled. Unless you're an upper tier Bonvoy member I wouldn't count on it, but right now who knows I hope you get a great room!

We had room 444 which looked over the backside of Boardwalk. It was always very peaceful, most nights we had our blinds open. Ours was a corner room, so we had a lot of light. You can see a photo of our room on this post.

I try to take the stairs whenever I can, as I recall I couldn't enter to go up, but I did often walk down.

Thanks Dan! That is definitely helpful. Do you know if the west and east wings have their own elevators that then bring you to the main entrance/exit you mentioned? Or if they have separate exits that would make it beneficial to request to be near the pool? If so, I guess the room location wouldn’t really matter. I think I read somewhere that the east wing rooms have a nice view of Epcot.
East and west wings each have their own elevators. They do not bring you to the hub, but rather to the first floor of each arm. I always have stayed in the east wing, and yes, if high enough, great Epcot view. Just remember, no evening fireworks, so it's mostly a view of Spaceship Earth. And once you've seen it, you've seen it. It is a great view though. Boardwalk and Y&BC view also.

I know I have sometimes walked out through the east wing side, passing through Il Mulino on the way out, but not actually the end of the arm. I have done that if heading to the BW, Y&BC or Epcot (walking). But mostly I go out the hub way, more people to see, and I like people. :laughing:

Here is where I think you would come out if attempting to not use the hub.

https://goo.gl/maps/Le1ZzR76cC1XwvEPA
But honestly, there is like a 15 second difference between walking out one or the other. Once you are there, you will see and understand. I think I'm making it more complicated that it is, because it really not at all complicated.

@armerida hard to say during all of this how upgrades will be handled. Unless you're an upper tier Bonvoy member I wouldn't count on it, but right now who knows I hope you get a great room!

We had room 444 which looked over the backside of Boardwalk. It was always very peaceful, most nights we had our blinds open. Ours was a corner room, so we had a lot of light. You can see a photo of our room on this post.

I try to take the stairs whenever I can, as I recall I couldn't enter to go up, but I did often walk down.
You're killing me, Steve :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter