Was I Being a Germaphobe?

Again with the falsehoods. My post referenced the Mayo Clinic and the most common/typical way to acquire e coli. NOT every way to contract it - just to be clear.
No need to contact the CDC, but thanks!

No falsehoods here. If you'd read my original post I was talking about how EColi spreads person to person, as in the case being discussed here, not it's origins.

Last edited:
Be sure to let the CDC know your findings, as they disagree.
Would be interested to see what you are referring to here. Link, please?

Yes, there are lots of germs - I'm talking about EColi. And yes, some strains of EColi can make us sick - that's why it's good to try to avoid them when you can.

No falsehoods here. If you'd read my original post I was talking about how EColi spreads person to person, as in the case being discussed here, not it's origins.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about at this point, but if you mean the origins of the bacteria, yes, it is important to know, because some are relatively benign, and some are deadly, i.e. the ones that contain the shiga toxin that usually have numbers and letters associated with them, e.g. EColi 0157:H7; EColi 0104:H4; EColi 0145, etc.

@chicagodisneyfan is spot on.

OMG - what I'm talking about is what is pertinent to the OP's question. The fact that kids and many adults, don't always wash their hands after using the bathroom. EColi is commonly spread person to person through fecal contamination. EColi can make you very sick. I wouldn't want to share a communal bowl/bag of chips with a crowd like this and take the chance of spending the night puking my guts out and having diarrhea. I'll take my chances elsewhere - a few chips isn't worth the potential trouble, FOR ME. Yes, we know, there are different types of EColi....the ones I am speaking of, obviously, are the ones that would make a person sick - the others have no importance to the OP's question.

Would be interested to see what you are referring to here. Link, please?

I'm not really sure what you're talking about at this point, but if you mean the origins of the bacteria, yes, it is important to know, because some are relatively benign, and some are deadly, i.e. the ones that contain the shiga toxin that usually have numbers and letters associated with them, e.g. EColi 0157:H7; EColi 0104:H4; EColi 0145, etc.

@chicagodisneyfan is spot on.

Go to the CDC website and look up "E coli".

If you don't want to believe it or look it up don't - no skin off my nose.

So, I visited the CDC page on EColi. While handwashing is mentioned, it seemed pretty clear that the most common way it's spread is through contaminated and undercooked/unwashed food.

To recap, your post said that "poor hygeine" is the most common way it's spread. Another poster pointed out that you were incorrect, and that eating contaminated and improperly prepared food, such as beef and produce, is most typically the cause. You referred them to the CDC, but refused to post a link. If you have better info than I found, please do share it. As I said, the pages I read all seem to support the other poster, but I could have missed something.

So, I visited the CDC page on EColi. While handwashing is mentioned, it seemed pretty clear that the most common way it's spread is through contaminated and undercooked/unwashed food.

To recap, your post said that "poor hygeine" is the most common way it's spread. Another poster pointed out that you were incorrect, and that eating contaminated and improperly prepared food, such as beef and produce, is most typically the cause. You referred them to the CDC, but refused to post a link. If you have better info than I found, please do share it. As I said, the pages I read all seem to support the other poster, but I could have missed something.

I'll say it again - what is relevant to the OP's scenario is PERSON TO PERSON SPREAD, NOT how a person might ORIGINALLY come in to contact with Ecoli. The CDC clearly states the most common way Ecoli is spread from PERSON TO PERSON is poor hygiene, and that the best way to prevent this is by washing your hands after using the bathroom. I'm really surprised that this is news to so many of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter