WDW and DL Pirates to change Redhead scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me, genuinely and non-sarcastically, why this scene is so beloved and its change has sparked such outrage?

I haven't ridden POTC in a very long time since I was about 10 or 11, so I have no reason to care for its inclusion since I hardly remember the ride.

Can someone explain to me, genuinely and non-sarcastically, why this scene is so beloved and its change has sparked such outrage?

I haven't ridden POTC in a very long time since I was about 10 or 11, so I have no reason to care for its inclusion since I hardly remember the ride.

It is a classic attraction that Walt had a hand directly in designing and the construction process, etc. Pirates as a whole is considered by many the greatest dark ride every made and basically the standard all others are judged against. So to see that changed is taking away form that legacy

It also has a number of quotable lines which elevates it just like a movie with quotable lines elevates that

and then some of it isn't about the scene in particular but rather Disney bending to the "PC Police" and if they do that here will now the voices grow louder and they have to change other scenes (which I get, but at the same time is the depiction of human trafficking/sex slaves where you want to draw the line?)

Personally I was a bit saddened when I first heard but at the same time the ride will survive, I will survive, I will still enjoy the ride and I hope they go out of their way to make the new scene the greatest scene ever

Hey, just be thankful they're not renaming/theming the blue bayou at the same time like they are with DLP's blue lagoon restaurant to be some naff captain jack restaurant!!

It's an iconic scene from an iconic ride. The ride itself was an original, something Walt worked on himself. There are memorable script lines tied to the scene. It's just been there a long, long time and is part of many peoples' memories. Lots of people don't like change. Lots of people don't like change that seems tied to an agenda.

Be glad "The Making of Me" has been shuttered.
Heh .. good point. Ya.. I know I went to the Wonders of Life Pavilion in the early 80s (when I was a middle like 5th or 6th grade) but I can't remember that attraction (or if my parents let me see it). I just remember the animatronic show and of course Body Wars!

Personally I was a bit saddened when I first heard but at the same time the ride will survive, I will survive, I will still enjoy the ride and I hope they go out of their way to make the new scene the greatest scene ever

I think this is a fantastic attitude toward this change, and I hope everybody comes around to this eventually.

It's an iconic scene from an iconic ride. The ride itself was an original, something Walt worked on himself. There are memorable script lines tied to the scene. It's just been there a long, long time and is part of many peoples' memories. Lots of people don't like change. Lots of people don't like change that seems tied to an agenda.

I see.

Personally, meh. Everything changes. And, like TheMaxRebo said, it'd be great if everyone could look forward to maybe a funnier, better ride overall. Maybe the new scene will be even better than before.

No offense, but you don't know what it means to really love this ride then. The real hardcore Pirate fans love it just the way it is.

You don't change old paintings from the 1800's because there is something awful in it, like slavery. Parents can just tell their sensitive kids they are trying to win a date with the redhead.

No offense, but you don't know what it means to really love this ride then. The real hardcore Pirate fans love it just the way it is.

You don't change old paintings from the 1800's because there is something awful in it, like slavery. Parents can just tell their sensitive kids they are trying to win a date with the redhead.

Oh, I take no offense. I really don't love this ride. I don't love any theme park rides! I'm certainly not a hardcore Pirates fan. Nothing you say actually answers me genuinely and non-sarcastically, but okay.

Although I think equating the artistic value of an old painting (itself a piece of history) with a theme park ride is on shaky ground. I can see arguments that this ride is part of WDW history, and as such, maybe they'll have a WDW theme park history museum (or a spin-off attraction) that includes old iterations of the rides. I think that'd be appropriate and enjoyable for people.

All the same, changes happen, theme parks and businesses evolve and refresh and tear down and rebuild. All part of the industry.

Heh .. good point. Ya.. I know I went to the Wonders of Life Pavilion in the early 80s (when I was a middle like 5th or 6th grade) but I can't remember that attraction (or if my parents let me see it). I just remember the animatronic show and of course Body Wars!

Looks like you're in luck. Sit down with your little one, pop some popcorn, and enjoy:

Considering Disney's track record lately we'll definitely have to wait and see. I say that well aware that Flight of Passage is apparently amazing.

I never saw The Making of Me. I heard that there was some pearl clutching though. ;)

Hope this isn't too off topic. My 2 year old daughter is crazy into Peter Pan. When watching it, the "Native American" scenes are terribly racist. No other way of saying it. I don't think the imagineers even thought twice about what this scene meant to women, just like Disney didn't think twice about racist jokes in Peter Pan. Not saying they were racist people, just that it was publicly acceptable then.

I do hope the new scene is done right, and they put the creativity and money into making it actually better and not just different. @rteetz is right, if they pulled up original sketches that weren't used...what a cool treat for Dis fans.

Anyone else seriously impressed with the cordial discussion on this thread? Thanks for keeping cool everyone.

It is a classic attraction that Walt had a hand directly in designing and the construction process, etc. Pirates as a whole is considered by many the greatest dark ride every made and basically the standard all others are judged against. So to see that changed is taking away form that legacy

It also has a number of quotable lines which elevates it just like a movie with quotable lines elevates that

Definitely. Every line is memorable... and funny!

Some of you guys are blowing this wayyy out of proportion. This decision came from Disney. And I say this as somebody who is a huge Pirates of the Caribbean fan.

This has nothing to do with political correctness. It is literally a scene showing women being sold.. which is slavery. Since when is being anti-slavery just another SJW brigade? It's not. It has nothing to do with education or preservation of history either. Historical fact does not equal theme park appropriate. And besides that fact, Disney is not the freakin Smithsonian. Students aren't taught about racism and slavery until middle school. Students aren't taught about rape until middle school. Hell, students aren't even taught about human sex trafficking until college. The scene is barely changing and they are removing something that, frankly, IS problematic because it is a depiction of sex trafficking. The harsh reality of what this scene is clearly depicting has been severely muted by the ride's iconic status to the point where people are actually defending a scene of this nature, and not only that but genuinely angry about it... It is mind-boggling. What if it were Columbus and the Native Americans? Or the actual African slave trade? But no.. it is funny because it is women and you are just used to seeing that scene. And then it gets blamed on "feminism" "SJW" and "tree hugging hippies".

Honestly I am so disappointed in this fandom right now for this level of outcry. Is it sad that they are removing part of Walt's legacy? Of course! But it is time it is gone. The new scene looks badass. The concept art appears to show very minimal changes and I would hope that they will attempt to preserve the more iconic portions of the scene such as the line "we wants the redhead".

Last edited:
The new scene looks badass and as I said before, the concept art appears to show very minimal changes and I would hope that they will attempt to preserve the more iconic portions of the scene such as the line "we wants the redhead".

The quote has to stay (I could care less about the rest of the scene). During this ride, my husband always turned to me and said the line to me (since I'm a redhead) and then I'd say it right back (b/c he's one, too). Taking the line out would literally ruin the ride for us...now keep the line and we'll enjoy all the changes:)...

And as a red-headed female, I can say I was totally never bothered by the ride picking on my "kind"...nor will I be bothered when it doesn't, as long as the ride stays seamless...so they'd best update everything to make this "fit", not just the single scene:)...

Oh, I take no offense. I really don't love this ride. I don't love any theme park rides! I'm certainly not a hardcore Pirates fan. Nothing you say actually answers me genuinely and non-sarcastically, but okay.

Although I think equating the artistic value of an old painting (itself a piece of history) with a theme park ride is on shaky ground. I can see arguments that this ride is part of WDW history, and as such, maybe they'll have a WDW theme park history museum (or a spin-off attraction) that includes old iterations of the rides. I think that'd be appropriate and enjoyable for people.

All the same, changes happen, theme parks and businesses evolve and refresh and tear down and rebuild. All part of the industry.

LOL, You should love some attractions. What would be the point of going to Disney World if you don't love it? And I'm as genuine as it gets.

It is a part of history whether you believe it or not. Pirates (in WDW) has entertained visitors since the early 70's, so that counts for something. No, I don't want to see it in a museum. I want it to stay where it has been, the way it has been.

Everything can't be changed just because it is seen as bad. That is a slippery slope, because if we take out deaths, blood and everything else that might offend, what are we left with?

Meh.

I remember when they changing the scene where the pirates were chasing the women (without food!), feeling mildly against it for nostalgic reasons and because it just seemed a silly thing to worry about. After all these years, I could care less for that change or the coming one. Honestly, a few changes here and there keep the ride refreshing.

I always enjoy the near annual changes to the Haunted Mansion at DL (they often have some new story element after each HM Holiday holiday overlay).

LOL, You should love some attractions. What would be the point of going to Disney World if you don't love it? And I'm as genuine as it gets.

It is a part of history whether you believe it or not. Pirates (in WDW) has entertained visitors since the early 70's, so that counts for something. No, I don't want to see it in a museum. I want it to stay where it has been, the way it has been.

Everything can't be changed just because it is seen as bad. That is a slippery slope, because if we take out deaths, blood and everything else that might offend, what are we left with?

Oh, it is definitely part of history - and given the role that Disney plays in American history (particularly the role Walt played in much of the 20th century) anything that is historic to Disney is historic to America ... this isn't *just* an amusement park ride

Fortunately we have video of it and t-shirts and stuff and we can remember it - and also remember as it changes

Now excuse me while I go watch some ride-throughs of Horizons

Sure, it's good to love rides. I simply don't remember much of Disney at all. I haven't been to a theme park since I was 10 or 11, so to answer your question, that's why I don't "love" any of the rides. I love Disney movies and media a ton!

"And I'm as genuine as it gets" -> I'm referring to the post you quoted, where I asked for genuine and non-sarcastic responses to a question. You didn't answer the question. You just quoted the post to state your opinion, which is fine, but that's what I'm referring to. I don't care about whether you, as a person, are genuine.

"It is a part of history whether you believe it or not." I literally just said, I see why people think it's a part of WDW history. Everything in the past is a part of history. Not everything in history is important or needs to be preserved.

"Everything can't be changed just because it is seen as bad." Everything can't be kept as is because you and a handful of hardcore fans love it. For all the outrage on this forum, there are heaps more who simply do not care, or even like the change.

"That is a slippery slope, because if we take out deaths, blood and everything else that might offend, what are we left with?" This thinking in itself is a slippery slope. They're changing one scene. They're not revamping the entire theme park.

Oh, it is definitely part of history - and given the role that Disney plays in American history (particularly the role Walt played in much of the 20th century) anything that is historic to Disney is historic to America ... this isn't *just* an amusement park ride

Fortunately we have video of it and t-shirts and stuff and we can remember it - and also remember as it changes

Now excuse me while I go watch some ride-throughs of Horizons

Thank You Max, you're absolutely right.

I just don't like change unless it's really necessary. And this just doesn't seem like it is.

Oh well, I guess the best thing to do, is to go watch some old ride videos and cry. "Cry me a river. Ohhh. Cry me a riverrr."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter