WDW and DL Pirates to change Redhead scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ride has changed for me just coming from the original one in DL to the one in WDW. Just have to keep "We wants the Redhead".

The ride has changed for me just coming from the original one in DL to the one in WDW. Just have to keep "We wants the Redhead".

Maybe they will and when the pirate says it SHE fires off a shot? Woman standing up for herself as a female pirate would certainly be able to? Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.... (short of the whole...you know....piracy thing) :rotfl2:

Let's just let Disney PC the ride while Universal signs a rights deal with the creators of Black Sails and builds a very, very dark ride of their own.

Even Black Sails didn't condone slavery. All the main characters were against it. Also if I remember correctly, those characters that were involved in rape and slavery came to a relatively miserable end...

I'm wondering if these controversial scenes would somehow be okay if there was a warning? To a certain extent, the titles of rides like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion should let the rider know that there may be some adult content, but for other things, like The Jungle Cruise or the Country Bear Jamboree (all mentioned in this thread), it may not be as obvious. Could Disney maybe provide some kind of warning about what it contains, similar to our movie rating system, to let parents know that it might not be family friendly before the ride like they do for possible health risks? Not saying that they are in any way obligated, because if you pay to go to their parks, you basically pay for whatever it is they're saying, but maybe it could allow people to decide if they want to have those tough conversations with their kids.

Even Black Sails didn't condone slavery. All the main characters were against it. Also if I remember correctly, those characters that were involved in rape and slavery came to a relatively miserable end...

Slavery is a key part of the story, look no further than Mr. Scott and his family. No one likes it but they don't act like it did not happen. You are right, most in the show met a miserable end, both the "bad" and the "good." Like all of life, the lines of good and bad are blurred and left to judgement. Let it be, let people educate themselves, and make their own informed decision. We are a divided nation that has started to take ourselves far too seriously. You can't laugh anymore.

There's plenty to laugh at in the world that doesn't involve slavery :confused3 It's just one scene. Everyone can live without it.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the proposed changes - mainly because we finally get a female pirate. My girls will be very excited about that.

I'm tellin' ya, this is the reason for the changes. pure capitalism. :D

I honestly don't care if anyone is offended by the redhead scene or the well dunking scene or the rum-soaked pirate scene. If they're that fragile that they're offended by a theme park ride, this is the least of their concerns.

This ride has been around for over 50 years in it's current version. Nothing, I repeat, Nothing has happened in the last 50 years that made slavery, human trafficking or other pirate offenses suddenly more morally reprehensible in 2017 than it was 50 years ago. But this ride was never meant to be a moral code instruction manual or a statement on human rights. It is simply a harmless, fun theme park ride designed by none other than Walt Disney himself and it did not need to be softened or sanitized in any way. If anyone is offended, then they just shouldn't ride. It is a shame that it has come to this.

Wow, civil discussion. Great job DISers!

I, personally, like the look of this new scene. High time there was a female pirate since there were historically some pretty fierce ones.

I also read through this whole thread and was a little surprised that it took until page 9 for someone (MaxRebo) to bring up what would people think if the slavery characters were African or Caribbean? Pirates definitely participated in that slave trade too. And if that depiction would be wrong, then why would women as slaves be okay?

However, I too believe this is about more than getting rid of the scene but also about appealing to the girl demographic...adding Johnny Depp already hooked a lot of their moms ;)

As much as we all love Walt, I think it's important to remember that he was not infallible. I get why people are sad about removing this scene. It's a classic. But it is super cringeworthy. I'm also a bit confused by posters who say "this is historically accurate" and "it's a fantasy ride" in the same breath. This is not a historical painting, but a celebration and humorous portrayal of sex slavery. It's 2017, let's do better.

Disney has really progressed in their portrayal of women in recent years. As a 90s kid, Belle was my princess because she was a "strong" female character and the "smart one" all because she read a few books. Now little girls have characters like Moana who trekked across the ocean to save her people. I wish I had a princess like that growing up!

There was no mass public outcry for this. I personally wouldn't have lost sleep if it wasn't changed. But I'm some excited that Disney is adding another strong female character to their repertoire, even if she is on the villainous side!

I honestly don't care if anyone is offended by the redhead scene or the well dunking scene or the rum-soaked pirate scene. If they're that fragile that they're offended by a theme park ride, this is the least of their concerns.

This ride has been around for over 50 years in it's current version. Nothing, I repeat, Nothing has happened in the last 50 years that made slavery, human trafficking or other pirate offenses suddenly more morally reprehensible in 2017 than it was 50 years ago. But this ride was never meant to be a moral code instruction manual or a statement on human rights. It is simply a harmless, fun theme park ride designed by none other than Walt Disney himself and it did not need to be softened or sanitized in any way. If anyone is offended, then they just shouldn't ride. It is a shame that it has come to this.

And I honestly don't care how much people want to keep the ride as is for nostalgia's sake. It's just a ride. Everything in life, business included, moves on and evolves.

And I honestly don't care how much people want to keep the ride as is for nostalgia's sake. It's just a ride. Everything in life, business included, moves on and evolves.

I could care less if it stays or leaves, still will be one of my favorite rides. Has changed before and doubt this will be the last.

I love having a female pirate, especially if she's bad ....

But I appreciate the loss. While the ride is full of generic pirates - she is a main character. She has a popular dress, look and of course the "quote" some love some hate.

What I always took from the scene was not so much the event of what was happening but the strength, dignity and class she maintains in light of what is happening. The pirates couldn't take her pride and she still was better than them. She was powerful in her own way. Kinda like scarlet O'Hara.

The new scene eliminates the event and provides female pirate but now she is no better than the rest of them. In that light I'm disappointed. For all the negative she taught a lesson, and now that will be lost.

On a lighter side, @danikoski - this Mom has a young Johnny Depp poster on the back of my craft room door. For my eyes only. :lovestruc

The new scene eliminates the event and provides female pirate but now she is no better than the rest of them. In that light I'm disappointed. For all the negative she taught a lesson, and now that will be lost.

Hey, you never know! We haven't seen new dialogue (or at least I haven't, link me if I missed it, folks). There may yet be more to come to make her even better :)

Nothing, I repeat, Nothing has happened in the last 50 years that made slavery, human trafficking or other pirate offenses suddenly more morally reprehensible in 2017 than it was 50 years ago.

That is where I disagree.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/201...S-rose-357-percent-in-one-year/5571486328579/

You'll notice California was #1 and Florida was #3 on the list.

It is close to home for a lot of people.

Again, I (nor anyone I'm aware of) didn't call for the removal. It was something Disney decided to do, and I think it was a good choice.

I don't think anyone was 'offended' by the scene, but the park has to change to stay up to date with the times. It's the best thing about Disney.. how it grows and changes. When I was a kid we went every year, and we used to always say that there was something new for us to see every time we went, and it always made us look forward to it. I'm excited about the new scene.. the redhead posing like Captain Morgan sounds much more interesting to me! Instead of looking at what's being taken away, why not look at the new stuff we're getting? If the park never changed and was still exactly as it was in 1971, it would have closed for lack of attendance many years ago.

Sexism and racism can be subtle... like a man telling a female co-worker to smile. The single act itself is not oppressive, but it creates a culture where women are thought of more by their appearance than their capabilities. The auction scene is that kind of sexism.. a subtle nod to putting women in the position of being thought of as sexual objects. I applaud Disney for being open to change. It's too bad that most people are not open to change, or personal growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter