WDW Vet Becoming a Disneyland Vet? Solo Trip 1/29-1/31 2024!

ThreeMountains

Mouseketeer
Ok, ok..."vet" might be a stretch after only five short trips, but coming from a longtime WDW fanatic, one can certainly "figure out" Disneyland Resort a LOT quicker than Disney World, especially with so much previous Disney parks experience. I actually feel like I know what I'm doing at this point!

TRIP BACKSTORY

I'm not sure how I got so lucky, but my wife once again gave her blessing to add days to the end of my annual Anaheim work trip for some me time in the Happiest Place on Earth. Do I feel bad that my wife and kids couldn't join me? Absolutely. I would have strongly preferred they were with me, but it's never really in the cards at the end of this type of work trip. That said, we're all going to WDW in April, plus my wife gets a longer solo trip later this year, so I don't feel too bad...

ABOUT ME

I'm Joe and I've been visiting WDW since I was 8 weeks old. While many people I know think it's strange that a grown adult man loves to go to Disney parks, even solo, that's totally fine; they don't get it and they don't need to. For me, it's in my family and in my blood. They are truly my home away from home having visited WDW with my grandparents, parents, and brothers for decades, my wife and kids for several years, and now DL solo several times and once with my brother and his wife. Any time I step foot onto Disney property and hear that music, the nostalgia and excitement go off the charts. I could literally sit on a bench on Main Street or wander the parks for hours without doing a single attraction and still have an amazing day. That said, I'm a trip-planning, rope-drop-to-park-close personality type, even if it doesn't always happen that way when I get there.

IMG_3440.JPEG
(from a November 2021 WDW trip)

1/28: MOVING TO NON-WORK HOTEL AND DOWNTOWN DISNEY THE NIGHT BEFORE THE PARKS

Sunday was LONG final work day, and I had been on my feet about 15 hours a day since the previous Tuesday for this convention. Needless to say, I was tired and everything hurt, but nothing can put a damper on my excitement for a Disney parks visit. We wrapped up everything work-related around 8pm, so I grabbed my luggage from the work hotel, said goodbye to my coworkers who were flying out the next morning, and walked over to my new hotel for the next four nights: Wyndham Anaheim near the corner of Harbor and Katella.

I had previously stayed at a couple of super-budget hotels, which were pretty uninspiring for a Disney trip, but they did the job since I was by myself and they were just within walking distance. I also stayed at Disneyland Hotel one time, but that was the trip with my brother and his wife where we all split a room, and it certainly wasn't in the budget for a solo trip. This time, I opted to spend a bit more than the lowest options to stay a little closer and nicer. This hotel fit the bill perfectly, as it was about a 10-minute walk to the security checkpoint at my pace, and it was a solid upgrade quality-wise compared to those low-budget hotels. Nothing fancy, but aside from a stain on the carpet near the TV - which you can see in this photo - it was perfectly fine, clean, and comfortable.

IMG_2588.JPEG

IMG_2585.JPEG

IMG_2584.JPEG

I quickly got settled, then to get myself in the Disney trip mood, I walked over to Downtown Disney for dinner and a special treat to myself: my first MagicBand+ from World of Disney! It took quite a while for me to decide which one to buy, as there were many options I liked, but I landed on this one:

IMG_2605.JPEG

IMG_2606.JPEG

IMG_2597.JPEG

IMG_2599.JPEG

What a beautiful sight!

Dinner at Ballast Point one night is becoming a ritual for me, as I never have an issue getting a seat, I like their beer, and the food is solid. I don't drink a lot, but I like a beer or other adult beverage when I can relax and enjoy it. I went with a lager to keep it low percentage, and also ordered the carne asada flatbread this time around. As I mentioned, all solid and it came out quickly with a friendly staff while I sat at the bar. Would order both again.

After I ate, I walked back to the hotel, a whopping 15 minutes or so from Ballast Point, and tried my best for a good night's rest before Day One at the parks!

IMG_2613.JPEG

IMG_2612.JPEG

Stay tuned for DAY ONE!

I went to WDW 3 times as a kid. And didn't visit Disneyland until I was in my 20's but Disneyland is definitely my "home" park now!
I get it, for sure! My first visit to WDW was 1984 right after I was born - and many followed - but my first visit to DL wasn't until 2019! Now that I've been several times, though, I've really connected with it. I can't say I would choose DL over WDW as a "last trip" if I ever had to make that decision, but I absolutely love it. It's familiar enough to feel like "home" but different enough that it's 100% worth visiting whenever I can. There are many aspects of each that I prefer over the other, but we have a lot of family in Orlando/Tampa, so it makes more sense to head east than west if we're not going north to visit my wife's family.

That said, Disneyland Hotel is actually my favorite Disney hotel I've ever visited or stayed at (as you'll see later in this trip report), and I really hope to bring my wife and kids to DL soon. It will definitely be an easier trip having everything within walking distance, especially with younger kids.

Yes, the proximity of the parks is so great. We just got back from WDW and that was one of the main things I missed. Can't wait to read more of your report!

DAY ONE

6:30am feels like sleeping in with the time change, and that works well for making it to park opening. I told myself I was going to take it easy and relax on this trip, which I mostly stuck to, but there isn't much better than the morning of day one on a Disney trip, so I got up and ready quickly, then walked to the parks.

Security wasn't too bad and I walked through the gates two minutes before rope drop. As I came through the right side tunnel, the opening show was happening with Minnie, Donald, Pluto, and Chip & Dale (sorry no photos, as I took a video to send to my kids).

IMG_2621.JPEG

IMG_2624.JPEG

Having been to DL several times now, and also having three full days ahead of me, I didn't feel the need to rush or try to cram everything in like I typically do, so I took my time strolling around Main Street USA. I also grabbed a locker, which I always do since I typically bring my camera and backpack with me on solo trips, but I don't like carrying it around all day. Another bonus of everything being so close at DL is that you can get a locker at either park and use it all day regardless of which park you end up in (at least I don't mind the extra walking).

IMG_2625.JPEG

My brothers and I always get a kick out of how tiny Sleeping Beauty castle is compared to Cinderella Castle, so this shot of almost the entire castle being blocked by a small tree is a classic to send them.

IMG_2629.JPEG

I turned right toward my favorite ride and noticed how much I love this wall, along with the mural farther in. Tomorrowland in WDW is superior as a land to walk around, IMO, but there are some very cool details in DL Tomorrowland that I enjoy, plus I actually prefer the DL versions of Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear. Oh, and the rockets are down, but in DL it's not worth riding for me compared to WDW where you get that amazing view (of course, I'd bring my kids on them either way if they were with me).

IMG_2630.JPEG

IMG_2631.JPEG

IMG_2636.JPEG

And in case you haven't noticed, this trip report will be a mixture of summary posts when my memory is fuzzy or I don't have photos but also detailed recounts, opinions, observations, and plenty of photos when I do have them, not only of stuff I'm doing but also rand scenery for you all to enjoy. One of the benefits of going solo is that I can stop as often as I want to snap photos since I send them all to my brothers anyway, although the photos in this post will all be phone photos (I will edit the camera ones when I can and maybe post them here and/or to social media if they turn out alright).

First stop: Space Mountain, my favorite ride! The building is smaller in DL and the queue is more fun in WDW (and nostalgic for me, of course), but the ride itself is much better in DL. The music blasting in your ears really makes it, along with the smoother, faster feel.

IMG_2639.JPEG

IMG_2640.JPEG

IMG_2642.JPEG

IMG_2643.JPEG

IMG_2644.JPEG

IMG_2645.JPEG

Classic ride shot:

IMG_2647.JPG

Next, I hopped over to Fantasyland for a couple dark rides I can't experience in WDW:

Pinocchio's Daring Journey - man, this ride is dark, both literally and figuratively haha. I love it.

IMG_2653.JPEG

IMG_2657.JPEG

IMG_2658.JPEG

IMG_2659.JPEG

And then my favorite dark ride of all time, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! I know I'm not the only one who's still upset that this ride is no longer in WDW. The first time I visited DL and got to ride it again was one of the most nostalgic Disney moments of my life, and I never get sick of it.

IMG_2668.JPEG

IMG_2662.JPEG

IMG_2663.JPEG

IMG_2664.JPEG

IMG_2665.JPEG

IMG_2672.JPEG

I spotted Pinocchio and Geppetto on my way toward Small World and it always strikes me how nice it is at DL to see so many characters just wandering around the lands and randomly interacting with kids and guests, rather than every interaction being a queue you have to wait in for a quick photo. There are pros and cons, of course, but it feels so much more natural and enjoyable when these interactions happen.

IMG_2674.JPEG

And now another DL favorite over WDW: Small World. So many people I know hate this ride because of the song, but I love everything about it, especially the DL version. This woman in front of me didn't seem to feel the same way, though...

IMG_2678.JPEG

IMG_2679.JPEG

I also meant to buy this shirt for my brother, who hates SW, but completely forgot.

IMG_2680.JPEG

From SW, I made my way into ToonTown, which is stellar after the remodel, btw. The theming is so well done and I could see my kids absolutely loving it here.

Speaking of my kids, I don't typically wait in lines to meet characters when I'm by myself, but there was almost no wait for Mickey and my younger son loves him, so I took a video walkthrough of Mickey's house and also a video of me meeting him to send back home, along with the Photopass photos. He loved it, of course, and it was a first time for me to walk through the house.

Also, it was a first I can remember having a photo with Sorcerer Mickey, which was a nice surprise! Really good interaction at this meet and greet and the house walk through is an attraction unto itself. The short films in the final waiting area are a great touch and, I'm sure, make the wait easier with little kids when it gets longer.

IMG_2681.JPEG

IMG_2682.JPEG

IMG_2683.JPEG

IMG_2691.JPEG

IMG_2684.JPEG

IMG_2685.JPEG

IMG_2703@1x_1.jpg

After a bit more walking around ToonTown to appreciate all there is to see, I hopped on Roger Rabbit. I don't do well with spinning rides these days (loved them when I was a kid), but there's a trick here: go solo and don't spin it haha.

IMG_2695.JPEG

I decided breakfast was in order at this point, so I made my way back toward Main Street via the castle. I'd say this Sleeping Beauty painting is my favorite in the parks, and it's probably my favorite Disney movie with Maleficent being my favorite character (the original evil one, not that new live action one we're supposed to feel sorry for).

IMG_2698.JPEG

IMG_2700.JPEG

I don't typically do sit down meals on my own, but since I intentionally slowed myself down this trip and had plenty of time for all I wanted to experience, I decided Mickey waffles was the perfect first meal on this trip. The walk up wait for Carnation Cafe was only about 20 minutes, so I watched the band while I waited, then had my first ever meal at this restaurant. The coffee was terrible but the food and service were really good.

IMG_2705.JPEG

IMG_2713.JPEG

IMG_2720.JPEG

Mmmmm, perfectly cooked bacon...now if they would just get some better coffee, it would be a solid breakfast option for me every trip. I never ate lunch or dinner here, but every time I walked by, the plates of people dining outside looked pretty tasty.

IMG_2721.JPEG

Last edited:
Ready to continue, I headed for my Lightning Lane at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I have to give the nod to WDW on this one, as the setting and queue just do a better job of putting me in the mindset for the ride. I also enjoy the on-ride views more in WDW, but both are great. At DL, I especially like the goat and the town at the end.

IMG_2727.JPEG

IMG_2728.JPEG

From BTMR, I made the quick walk over the Galaxy's Edge and took advantage of single rider for Smuggler's Run. As a single ride, I inevitably found myself in an Engineer's seat, but it's still a fun ride. It wasn't fun for the little girl in front of me, though, who was terrified of all the noise. I felt bad for her and her parents, who were trying to participate and enjoy the experience with their other child while also consoling her, but she appeared to have a mental disability and it was all a bit much for her (I apologize, as I don't know what the current proper term is).

IMG_2731.JPEG

IMG_2732.JPEG

IMG_2743.JPEG

IMG_2740.JPEG

IMG_2741.JPEG

IMG_2747.JPEG

Ok, quick rant time. Dasani water bottles were $4.25. I'm aware you can request cups of tap water at certain places for free, and there are occasional water fountains to be found (no thanks on the fountains but I do take advantage of the free cups when I can), but still, $4.25 for a bottle of Dasani? I understand Disney having a significant upcharge for their merch and food, especially in the parks, and I even understand high ticket, event, and "extras" prices, but bottles of water are the one thing where sticking it to the guests really irks me. You can make plenty of money on bottles of water without going over the top, and $4.25 for a bottle of Dasani is over the top, IMO. It is what it is, though, and that's likely my only really negative rant for this report. Back to our regularly scheduled program!

IMG_2744.JPEG

I then made my way to Pirates to use LL for the first time on this ride. I understand those who say LL is fixing something that's not broken with this ride, as I've never had long waits before they added it, but I also understand they're trying to add value back after losing Splash Mountain for Genie+. In the end, it works out for those who buy G+ but hurts those who don't, as with every other LL offering. In this case, that standard queue was LONG every time I walked by it my entire trip, as in wrapping around multiple times up onto the bridge.

Regarding DL vs WDW for this one, I'll take DL for the ride itself and WDW for the queue every day of the week. The DL ride experience is great, basically very similar but longer with more scenes, while the WDW queue is as classic as it gets. Just like with SM, the WDW queue puts me more in the mindset of the ride going into it, while the DL queue is meh. But yeah, the ride is better in DL.

IMG_2749.JPEG

IMG_2752.JPEG

IMG_2754.JPEG

IMG_2756.JPEG

PS - here's current status on Tiana's Bayou ride, formerly known as Splash Mountain, along with the sign and menu from her new restaurant.

IMG_2750.JPEG

IMG_2765.JPEG

IMG_2766.JPEG

While I was in the area, I did my first walk through of the new Adventureland Treehouse, which was under construction on my last visit. I MUCH preferred it over the Tarzan version and also over the WDW Swiss Family Robinson treehouse. They did a great job and I think it's definitely worth your time if the stairs don't bother you. A lot of details to check out while mostly being in the shade.

IMG_2774.JPEG

IMG_2775.JPEG

IMG_2777.JPEG

IMG_2779.JPEG

IMG_2780.JPEG

And now it was lunch time, so I checked the quickest options for mobile ordering and decided on a turkey sandwich with chips from Jolly Holiday Bakery. They either changed the chips from my previous chips or cook them completely differently, because they weren't nearly as good this time. They also didn't give me many, as you can see. The whole meal was a bit underwhelming, but it did its job.

IMG_2795.JPEG

IMG_2797.JPEG

NOTE: I first tried to get a Dole Whip from the Tiki Bar, but it was mobile order only, so I checked the app. The next available time wasn't for about 45 minutes. This was strange because there was almost no one picking up any orders and the guy running the machine just had them lined up on top and continued making them. I asked the girl at the counter if the timing was correct or if I could get one and she just confirmed that the wait was correct. I watched for another minute or two and the situation didn't change. I'm still baffled by this, as there were probably 20 poured just sitting there melting and very few people picking up orders. Bizarre, but I certainly wasn't waiting 40 minutes for that when I could have a turkey sandwich and chips in about 15 minutes, so I moved on to Jolly Holiday for my sad sandwich and meager amount of chips.

Does Big Thunder at WDW have the explosion scene? I haven't been on it in 12 years so I wasn't sure. I felt like it didn't back then but maybe it does now?

My poor husband has only ever does Smuggler's Run as a single rider or LL by himself so he's always been stuck in that seat. Ha!

The water price is insane. We purchase a case of water at the beginning of our trip these days. For our recent WDW trip, I think I paid under $6 for something like 40 bottles of water that lasted an entire week for the 3 of us. I think I only needed to buy water in the parks once or twice.

LL for Pirates is super annoying. I heard they added it to Little Mermaid in DCA too and if so, that's really awful.

On our last trip, the Dole whip was mobile order only as well but the next available time was maybe 10 or 15 minutes out so we just did it and stood there. Thankfully it was actually up within 5 minutes. But I wouldn't have chanced it if the wait was 40 minutes out. I don't know what the deal is but they need to figure something else out because that is so dumb.

After lunch, I wandered down Main Street doing the thing I always tell myself I will but rarely do: take my time. I did some window shopping for souvenirs to buy later in the trip, then eventually found myself in the Disney Gallery browsing the art, historical pieces, etc. If you're ever considering adding an extra day onto your trip but unsure if you'll need it, do it for this exact reason. It gives you breathing room so you don't constantly feel like you need to be tallying up another ride or "active" attraction. You can slow down and not just look for the less glamorous places but actually spend some time absorbing what they have to offer.

IMG_2799.JPEG

IMG_2801.JPEG

IMG_2803.JPEG

IMG_2804.JPEG

IMG_2805.JPEG

popcorn::
Great report so far. I just came back from my first solo WDW trip last month. I wish I was able to slow down more than I did but I wasn't sure when the next time I would be there so it was a ride loaded trip for me. I've never been to DL before so I enjoy seeing your pictures.

popcorn::
Great report so far. I just came back from my first solo WDW trip last month. I wish I was able to slow down more than I did but I wasn't sure when the next time I would be there so it was a ride loaded trip for me. I've never been to DL before so I enjoy seeing your pictures.
The best part about solo trips is that you can go at your own pace. The worst part about solo trips is that my pace is "how many rides can I get done today?!" 😆

As you'll see, this trip was the first time I was able to slow it down a bit and actually not worry about maximizing the ride tally, especially on days two and three.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter