WDW with a British accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love to hear all of the British accents. I usually stop and chat with them just hear about where they are from and if they are having a good time in the USA.

I love their accents... who wouldn't. :goodvibes I love listening to different accents, especially English/Irish. I have many cousins ,aunts and uncles in Ireland ...so I love their accents ,too !!!!:thumbsup2

Well Im actually quite impressed you can pick out our accents as we are so diverse.
I'm from the North Of England and Im always mistaken as Irish.:rotfl:
DH is always mistaken as German:rotfl: when in fact we are from Liverpool in England.
I love Florida, and WDW in Orlando especially.
We brits are a bit mad when it comes to Disney and DLP is great for 4 or 5 days but for a longer break WDW wins everytime.

My grandmother God rest her soul was from Liverpool, in fact, all my grandparents are immigrants.
I say, welcome one and all.:goodvibes
I can not figure out what the OP is trying to say.

Well, I'm not from Britain, but Disneyland Paris is also MUCH closer to my home then WDW... I can drive to Paris in 4,5 hours... Disneyworld is a looooong flight :) Even though I haven't been to WDW yet, I think you can't compare them.
Although I love DLP, I hope I'll be even more impressed by WDW :goodvibes
:banana: Happy Planning .....Hope you both have a Magical Trip and the Best Trip ever !!!!:cool1:

I don't think it was a Brit you were hearing, no way would one of us use the word "ghastly"......however....from my point of view....

1. Because Paris is in France
2. Yes
3. No, its because Paris is in France
4. No, its because the tunnel goes to France
5. Not a factor
6. Not a factor
6 (2 sixes?). Good point, seems unfair
7. I suspect they would first ask the family where they were from before announcing why they were speaking to them, so it wouldnt happen.

Well I have been to Disneyland Paris twice and can definatly say it isnt worth the money.

Yes we go to WDW every year, but we have also been to Boston, Chicago, New York and Maryland, so no we dont just stick to WDW.

I have never known anyone dislike my accent, and I have a very northern accent, often confused with being Australian for some reason.

Just imagine if no British went to WDW, would there be as much money pumped into the parks, without the additional money we spend there? Its the number one tourist destination for us, mainly because its good value for money and the people are lovely.

I have a question for you, Wilma Bride:

Have all of your trips to the US involved Disney World?

Yes, so far...that's not to say that it will always be that way. There are many more parts of the US me and my husband want to see. At the moment, though, WDW is our destination of choice :)

I'm from Ireland so perhaps I can't comment but the reason we love Florida is because MOST of our American friends are warm and welcoming and we love visiting. Occasionally we meet someone from the US who is rude and overbearing, push infront of us in lines, have very loud and out of control children etc., but we don't let that cloud our judgement as on the whole our American cousins are a great bunch of people and we will continue to visit on a regular basis for as long as we can :thumbsup2

1. Do the British generally like WDW more than Disneyland Paris? If so, why?

Yes - Disneyland Paris for me is about the same travelling time - the weather is not a great deal better than the UK and its much more expensive.

2. Do the British prefer to come here than to go to DP because they dislike the French (or "frogs" as some British call them)?

I dont dislike the french and visit france several times a year - to me DLRP is a weekend break - there is not enough to do there for more than a couple of days - WDW is a holiday!

3. Do the British fly here because there isn't a language barrier as there might be in Disneyland Paris?

Possibly yes, although a lot of the cast members do speak english - many of the rides are in french so it takes away some of the fun!

4. Are the British afraid to take Eurostar over to France because the train is in a tunnel for 20 minutes under the English Channel? Similarly, is a 7-hour transatlantic flight more pleasant than a 3-hour train ride?

Firstly its a 9 hour transatlantic flight not 7 hours. and the Eurostar is more that 3 hours. The train only goes from London and Kent - so people would still have to travel down to those locations before getting on a train!

5. Is the rate of exchange between the pound and the dollar better than between the pound and the euro?

YES!! much better!

6. Do the British tend to fly here because Sanford airport is owned by the same operators as London Luton, Cardiff International and Belfast International?

No - i have never flown into Sanford airport - it simply depends on which airline they are flying with! British Airways and Virgin Atlantic currently fly into MCO and these are 2 of the biggest airlines.

My grandmother God rest her soul was from Liverpool, in fact, all my grandparents are immigrants.
I say, welcome one and all.:goodvibes
I can not figure out what the OP is trying to say.

My dear granddad was from England, too, Lancashire -- and ITA, welcome everyone! :goodvibes I'm not quite sure what the OP was trying to say, either? :confused:

I've never been to WDW yet, but visit DL about once a year. We see a lot of foreign visitors, from the UK and everywhere else, but it seems we have a LOT of tour groups from Japan. Even though they have Tokyo DL, they must like visiting the US, too! Sooooo....DL CA is across the Pacific from Japan, and WDW is across the Atlantic from the UK -- makes perfect sense to me ::yes:: And we could go to DL again this year, in fact we definitely will in the future, but this time we wanted to try something different -- even though it involves flying clear across the country. Why not? :teeth:

PS: Hi TinkTatoo! We went to Ireland in 2005, and can't wait to go back -- gorgeous country, wonderful music, delightful people :goodvibes And DH swears the Guinness there is 100 times better :drinking1

We have been asked a number of times whether we are from Australia.

There was a post about Orlando is not Florida, although i havent been elsewhere it is a great way to start visiting the States. Easy driving, friendly people, easy to be comfortable with the people around you. This has given me confidence to plan beyond Orlando as i have confidence to explore the country over the years to come (although my next trip will be to the Canadian Rockies)

Yes - not much to do in DLP , weather dodgy and who wants to spend 2 weeks ther.

2. Do the British prefer to come here than to go to DP because they dislike the French (or "frogs" as some British call them)?

Nope we go there because we love it and i've been to both several times, Paris is a weekend trip , WDW a proper holiday, and no offense to anyone but i've met people from all nationalities that i like and dislike so that doesn't enter the equasion when I plan my holidays.

3. Do the British fly here because there isn't a language barrier as there might be in Disneyland Paris?

No we go because we love it, Americans have always been extremely friendly to us, the weather is great and actually there are just as many language barriers in the US with many people from different parts of the US with different accents and people from all over the world visiting and working in the parks.

4. Are the British afraid to take Eurostar over to France because the train is in a tunnel for 20 minutes under the English Channel? Similarly, is a 7-hour transatlantic flight more pleasant than a 3-hour train ride?

Nope but unless you live in the south of england you could have a 7 hour drive to get to the eurotunnel before you even get to cross the channel and actually they have 30 min flights to paris from the UK so that's not why we choose WDW. Also why would we be more afraid of a train ride than a flight to anywhere ???? Do the british have some long known fear of trains that no one has told us about ????

5. Is the rate of exchange between the pound and the dollar better than between the pound and the euro?

YES!!

6. Do the British tend to fly here because Sanford airport is owned by the same operators as London Luton, Cardiff International and Belfast International?

Is it ? well never knew that not sure why it would matter to anyone unless you were a shareholder, the british fly to wherever they can get the dates, times and prices they want to pay for flights, much like anyone else I'm sure.

PS as a brit born and bred and no doubt with an accent I would like to point out that everyone has an accent or regional dialect , just think of the variations from Texas to New York and it would give you an idea, however I don't normally comment on peoples accents as it can be deemed ghastly and offensive and i don't fink it's a good idea :-)

I have a question for you, Wilma Bride:

Have all of your trips to the US involved Disney World?

Mine haven't, i've been to Disney 3 times, New York and Vermont.

I'm sorry but Disney is a tourist place and if it were just Americans going it certainly wouldn't be Disney World...When i go to London and Startford Upon Avon i always hear American accents, but i enjoy it...makes the world seem more together!

wow! what a bigoted and racist report! I'm glad for your sake it wasn't gays or hispanic or blacks you'd attacked.
I'm also glad that Walt Disney was neither bigoted nor racist in his love of other cultures and that he took the time to visit hundreds of different countries. I'm glad too that in your belief that your country is so well off it can afford to ignore the millions of pounds my country spends in it every year.
Also very glad that the hundreds of Americans (yes, some black, some gay and some even hispanic!) that I've met during my four visits to WDw and approx ten visits to other parts of your beautiful country are not as narrow minded as you and will make the effort to chat to me about all types of subjects.

You are bound to come across a few Brits in WDW - there were 1.1Million UK visitors to Orlando in 2005, and that figure is rising every year :)

You are more than welcome to come over to the UK Boards for a friendly chat (if you can understand us LOL). We have our own community board, trip planning board, DVC board and a trip reports board:

UK Trip Planning

UK Community

UK DVC

UK Trip Reports

We even have a board dedicated to Disneyland Paris:

DLP

There is also a great Trans-Atlantic Chat held every Sunday at 2pm EDT (7pm BST). You can come along and share your experiences of WDW with the UK chatters :)

Hi WDWPinCollector - another Brit here :wave2: . Your observations are spot on - I believe I'm right in saying that we make up almost half of all foreign visitors to Central Florida. Staggering when you consider how small we are in relation to the rest of the world. Many of us own DVC and second homes in Central Florida, by the way and, again, in far bigger numbers than any other nationality outside the US.

As someone else has already pointed out, we visit WDW for the same reasons as most Americans - guaranteed sun and because it's the top vacation destination in the world, bar none. If DLP were an identikit version of everything on offer in the Orlando area, I'm sure more of us would visit. I love France, the French and even the tunnel, but DLP falls very far short of WDW. Again, the point's already been made, but it's worth repeating - WDW is a vacation destination, whereas DLP is only really "short break" material.

My first WDW visit back in 1992 was actually intended to be a trip to (the then) EuroDisney. I was looking at around £1000 for our family of four for four nights. The travel agent suggested that, for £2000, we could enjoy 14 nights in sunny Florida with everything that had to offer. We've never looked back and we're currently planning our 16th and 17th trips. It's spawned a love-affair with the States and we've since visited several more of your country's fabulous destinations (albeit there are so many more we'd still love to visit).

As far as the exchange rate is concerned, that's just a bonus (admittedly a big one at the moment). The first time we visited it was even better than it is now, but we've also gritted our teeth and stuck with it during the leaner times. :teeth:

None of this explains, though, why Brits so significantly outnumber other foreign visitors. Surely the same factors apply, at least in part? I can only imagine it's a cultural thing. As a nation, we identify with the US way of life more than any other, and take most of our cues from you. Of course, globalisaton means that's becoming true of more and more countries, but ours is a long-standing relationship.

Now for the big one...Year of a Million Dreams Sweepstakes. Interestingly, it wasn't open to UK residents initially. Maybe Disney bowed to pressure from its largest single group of foreign visitors :confused3 .

OK, I'll answer as well as some of my answers are slightly diffrent to others.

I like WDW as it is bigger, there are more parks and more things to do in general there. However in saying that when I visit WDW I also go to other places in Orlando so my 2 weeks at WDW is not just in the Disney parks. I also actually like DLP, in fact I prefer the MK there to the one in Orlando (as they have taken the best bits from a few of the WDW parks and put in into the MK at DLP.) Plus there are a few nice things at DLP that are not at WDW.

I have nothing against French people, and would visit DLP if I wanted a short holiday, so no. I also like to go to DLP as I like Paris as a city and it is easy to get to for the day from DLP.

No, the language barrier doesn't bother me, I try to communicate in French (but it isn't that good!) and they often reply in English anyway.

Like others have said it is a 9 hour flight, and having been to DLP on the Eurostar and driven there through the tunnel so no I am not affraid. I am also going to Calais on Saturday driving using the tunnel. I do find long haul flights boring, but really it is just a method of getting to your destination so the travel doesn't really bother me no matter how I am getting there.

Yes!

I doubt that. When we fly to America (and I don't just mean to Orlando I have been to other places in the USA too) we always fly from either Gatwick or Heathrow. For Orlando we always fly into MCO as we do not book package deals we book direct with the airline as we stay at WDW on DVC points.

And finally, with regard to the Year of a Million Dreams sweepstakes, this struck me as very interesting:

"Void outside the fifty (50) United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom and where prohibited by law."

Hmm, the United Kingdom....

6. Why not include, say, Australia, Italy or Brazil?
Haven't a clue on that one, you would have to ask Disney management.

7. If a family from New Zealand is in WDW and is chosen at random to win a prize as part of the YOAMD sweepstakes, and it is discovered that the family is not from one of the above countries or locales, is the prize retracted?
Again no clue.

I'm sorry you get annoyed by all the British accents in WDW, I am just greatful that in all my trips to America (and not just WDW) the American people I have come across have been very friendly and made us feel most welcome in their country.

Another Brit here:goodvibes

We've visited WDW several times as well as DLP, DL and we are taking our first Disney Cruise next week. We have also visited New York, several times, Las Vegas (where we choice to marry), San Francisco and Hawaii. We also own DVC at 5 resorts. Why do we continually visit because we love it:thumbsup2

Many of us Brits are DVC members and currently there are only DVCs in WDW and Hilton Head and Vero Beach. Therefore for us it is much better value for our points to go to WDW. I have used points at Disneyland Paris but not nearly so good value.

We live on an island and we like to travel. We travel all over the world not just to the USA. I have been to the original Disneyland in California but it seemed very similar to Disneyland Paris and probably won't go again until there is a DVC there. Many of us travel to Mexico and the carribean islands as well as places in Europe such as Spain and Greece as well as Austrailia and the far east. I have even been skiing in Bulgaria. I think the selling point for WDW apart from it being the Happiest Place in the World is the climate.

I have also been to Los Angeles, Las Vegas and New York but I found that I like Orlando such much that I like going there again and again.

I hate flying. I have been to Disneyland Paris three times. Twice by car (ferry) and once by plane.

I am a Londoner and I live and work in London (local government) and I guess I hear more British accents at WDW (especially UK school holiday time) than in London! It does not bother me. Most of my co-workers are from Eastern Europe, Nigeria, Asia and Austrailia and we all get on really well.

Not sure what the OP is getting at?

Susan

If the OP lets us know when she is in which park we Brits will avoid it so she doesn't have difficulty avaoing us!

I do not think there is one answer to this just as I would not ask someone to answer for the US as a whole.

USA culture is familiar to us not just Disney but much else through film and tv in a way that France is not represented in popular media.

Orlando and its surrounds offers a two week vacation whereas DLP is a two or three day streatched out to 5 days with a trip to central Paris.

I am poor at foreign languages but try to learn some basics to get by wherever I visit but it is easier when the place you are visiting speaks a version of your language.

Not all of us have a downer on France like Tron[ADS]. I have visited DLP through the tunnel and I prefer that journey to flying to the US.

The exchange rate is good at the moment but I have been when it was less than 1.50 $ to the £.

I would be very surprised if anyone thought that Sandford was owned by the same company who owned Luton Airport etc. especially given this
In a pioneering public-private partnership deal signed in August 1998, London Luton Airport remains publicly owned by Luton Borough Council but is operated managed and developed by a private consortium, London Luton Airport Operations Ltd, for a period of 30 years.

I have made trips to the US which have not involved WDW and Florida, I have visited, CA, NC, SC, NY, GA, NV, AZ, NM, UT, OH, KY, TX, and maybe one or two more which I can't remember.

I hope this is OK with the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter