WDW with a British accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
My suspicion that WDW for the British was the sole or "end-all" destination in the US was proven by some of the posts. I cringe to read that some British have continually visited WDW and nowhere else (whether they have an investment in the DVC or not). Kudos to you British who have seen other parts of the US that have no connection to Walt Disney whatsoever. After all, the US isn't one big amusement park.

Sure, the Orlando area appreciates your tourist dollars, but:
1. Do you leave the Orlando area or just stay "on campus" as it were, and;
2. Wouldn't Americans in, say, San Francisco or the Grand Canyon area, appreciate your tourist dollars, too? Crater Lake, in all its glory, in Southern Oregon is waiting for you British to come by and visit! Warning: There isn't a roller coaster or a dining plan in sight for miles.

I consider myself, at least by American standards, very open to foreign cultures and ideas. I have been to Europe a dozen times and 2 of those times included the UK (though some of you seem to believe that the UK is a separate entity, outside of Europe, which contradicts American geography books). I'm fluent in French and can get by in German. I'm in the American minority in that I have a valid passport. PG tips is the only tea I'll drink.

Imagine the horror of discovering that all my visits (and those of many other Americans) to the UK entailed Alton Towers and nowhere else? (By the way, I've never been there.)

Similarly, I didn't go to England to experience a "log flume" type ride or check out the latest fireworks or roller coaster. I went there to explore the British Museum, attend evensong in St. Paul's Cathedral and in Canterbury, see where famous people are buried in Westminster Abbey, learn how Anne Boleyn lived in Hampton Court, among other culturally-enriching things to see and do. Experiencing afternoon tea in the home of a very pleasant elderly British woman in a suburb of London called Richmond wasn't a "Finding Nemo--The Musical" experience--and thank goodness for that.

My worry is not that I'm hearing the British accent in WDW. I love the British accent. It's basically why I watch all the reality judging shows here in the US like American Idol. There is always at least one panelist or judge who is British. I've even learned to pronounce the words "performance" and "ghastly" in a perfect Simon Cowell British accent, emphasizing a super-sibilant S, of course. :coffee:

My concern is that I'm hearing it at what I believe is a disproportionately high rate versus other accents. I personally find that annoying, but that's just me. Your mileage may vary. And I do understand that various nationalities will not be equally represented in WDW. Again, it's the gross disproportion that I find concerning. I'd feel the same way if I heard the Australian accent at such a high disproportion, around every turn, at least 20 times a day. Again, your mileage may vary.

Unfortunately, for me WDW has become the UK--Part II, or some kind of overseas department as the French have, a British DOM/TOM as it were.

To make the analogy that an overabundance of British in WDW is tantamount to an overabundance of Americans in London is false. WDW is not a major world city like London is.

The idea that WDW will gladly accept tourist dollars from those living outside of North America and the UK, but will effectly bar them from winning any prizes in the Year of a Million Dreams sweepstakes (as indicated in its rules), is very disturbing, indeed. It's like paying into the NHS but being barred from receiving any health benefits from it because it has been determined that you're not elligible.

So, all you British who read this post...come on over again and again! Los Angeles, San Francisco, The Grand Canyon, New York City, Washington, DC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Mount Rushmore, Seattle, Boston, New England, New Orleans, Phoenix, New Mexico, the Florida Everglades, Dallas, and other places in the United States--they're all waiting for your tourist dollars! Cheers.

My concern is that I'm hearing it at what I believe is a disproportionately high rate versus other accents. I personally find that annoying, but that's just me. Your mileage may vary. And I do understand that various nationalities will not be equally represented in WDW. Again, it's the gross disproportion that I find concerning. I'd feel the same way if I heard the Australian accent at such a high disproportion, around every turn, at least 20 times a day. Again, your mileage may vary.

QUOTE]

okay - now its getting weird!! Why on earth are you so "concerned"?! Its really quite natural that there are many many Brits visiting WDW - our £ to $ rate makes it accessible, Florida has LONG been the top vacation spot for UK families apart from Spain, and with the huge amount of US TV shows influencing the Brit culture of course its a natural step for the Brits to visit what epitomises family culture we've been brought up on ... WDW!

I now have US TV to watch where we live - in the UK we imported the US shows such as Friends, Scrubs, My name is Earl, ER - the list is endless - and absorbed US culture and accents etcc..

the US on the other hand does not import the Brit shows (BBC america excluded) - it takes the BASE and builds its own - as per Men Behaving Badly, the office etc etc. So rather than watch a Brit show you replace it with US actors and scripts because the US audience is unable to accept the Brit version.

So as Brits we feel far more comfortable in places such as the US because we have had access to the US life through TV etc.

The US remains its own island - where world news consists of Iraq, Israel and anywhere else the US has an interest - nothing else is important .... and the fact that 80% of Americans have never left the US shows this.

Dont be concerned with the Brits abundance .... we just wanna have fun - and WDW is where we can do it!:banana:

I don't want to go to another city - I can see them anywhere.

I don't want to go to lie on a beach. (I can go to my vacation home in Spain for that)

I don't want to see beautiful landscapes - I can see them here in the UK

I want to go to a place that makes me feel the magic, where I can forget about work, where I feel transported to another time where magic lives and there is no nasty things.

This to me is WDW (and Saratoga Springs Resort). So sorry we want to live and breathe the magic of WDW (hey why else would we be on this message forum in the first place) We are addicted to WDW. As soon as we enter the gates we feel at peace and at home.:cloud9:

I do not make excuses for it I am WDW obsessed. You know what, I would be happy not to leave WDW for the whole two weeks I am there this August but just thought I would venture out for our Disney Cruise as well.

I have travelled to loads of places all round the world and have found that I just have to have that magic of WDW or I just don't feel whole.

I don't need anyone to feel concerned for me because I don't know what I am missing. I know what I am missing and that is why I come to WDW.

I hope that clears things up.

Susan

While I agree the post is nothing towards 'racism', what's the big deal if there's an abundance of another country visiting DW? DW is probably the most popular American vacation destination, so why wouldn't it be filled with people from other countries?? Yes, I'm sure it helps because America is an English country, whiich does make it easier... I'm figuring there's not alot of Austrailians visiting beceause it would probably cost an average family of 4 over $10,000 to come visit mostly because of the plane cost.
And since there's not alot of solely english speaking countries, England is probably the closest to America, besides Canada... Which BTW there's TONS of Canadians visiting as well. Would you find it that 'concerning' if Canadians had an accent??
Don't mean anything bad by this.. just stating my opinion again :goodvibes

When DS was 4 we were at Blizzard Beach and he hooked up with a little British boy. They played for hours.

At the end of the day DS said to us, "I really liked that kid. He sounds just like a pirate!"

Out of the mouths of babes. :)

I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt but it seems that they really do not like us Brits.

One or two are OK but there are just too many of us!:scared1:

Disney Markets to the UK in a way that it does not to the rest of Europe.

For the information of the OP I have been to New York, Hilton Head Island,
San Diego, LA, Phoenix, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Cincinnatti and more.

The Uk is part of Europe geographically and as part of a political union but we do think of ourselves as distinct, is that OK you North Americans are all the same in Canada and Mexico.:rotfl:

Imagine the horror of discovering that all my visits (and those of many other Americans) to the UK entailed Alton Towers and nowhere else? (By the way, I've never been there.)

Similarly, I didn't go to England to experience a "log flume" type ride or check out the latest fireworks or roller coaster. I went there to explore the British Museum, attend evensong in St. Paul's Cathedral and in Canterbury, see where famous people are buried in Westminster Abbey, learn how Anne Boleyn lived in Hampton Court, among other culturally-enriching things to see and do.

But as relevant to todays UK as WDW is to the rest of the USA.

I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt but it seems that they really do not like us Brits.

One or two are OK but there are just too many of us!:scared1:

Have to agree Andy - OP's first post I thought was posing some very interesting questions, not a problem at all. Second post is rather bizarre!

and to add my stats - Orlando, L.A, San Diego, Charlotte, Atlanta, Galveston, Murtle Beach, Miami, San Juan - to name a few.

luckily there were only a few Brits there - phew! can't imagine how "concerned" I'd have been if the place was awash with them :rolleyes1

Have to agree Andy - OP's first post I thought was posing some very interesting questions, not a problem at all. Second post is rather bizarre!

and to add my stats - Orlando, L.A, San Diego, Charlotte, Atlanta, Galveston, Murtle Beach, Miami, San Juan - to name a few.

luckily there were only a few Brits there - phew! can't imagine how "concerned" I'd have been if the place was awash with them :rolleyes1

San Juan? is that Puerto Rico's San Juan, My wife went to grade school there.

Just to try to put things in perspective and stay OT, as someone who works in the travel industry and has a lot to do with elements on both sides of the Atlantic, there are plenty of very good reasons why there are a lot of Brits in Orlando/WDW, but the statistics don't bear out the fact that we 'dominate' in any way.

First the facts (from the Travel Industry Association, America's main tourist agency):

2002 2003 2004 2005 %change 05/04
Domestic Visitors 40.5m 42.7m 45.2m 46.6m 3.3%
International 2.3m 2.3m 2.6m 2.7m 3.5%
Economic Impact $24.6b $26b $28.4b $29.6b 4.2%
Total 42.8m 45m 47.8m 49.3m 3.3%

2002 2003 2004 2005 % change
United Kingdom 889,000 937,000 1,054,000 1,060,000 0.6%
Canada 505,000 530,500 631,000 657,000 4.1%
Colombia n/a n/a 74,000 81,000 10.0%
Brazil 59,000 68,000 74,000 80,000 8.3%
Germany n/a n/a 73,000 78,000 7.0%
Venezuela n/a 54,000 59,000 61,000 3.0%
Japan 29,000 n/a 41,000 43,000 4.0%
Other 896,000 708,000 576,000 640,000 11.0%
Total 2,378,000 2,297,500 2,582,000 2,700,000 3.5%

(Grrr! Can't get them to tabulate, but I think you can see what they mean!)

So, from those, we see the Brits make up rather more than a third of international visitors, but international visitors are still only roughly 6% of the overall Orlando market. The international market is credited with more than 10% of the total revenue generated, though, because they usually stay much longer than the domestic market; averaging around 12 days as opposed to 6. It also means the British (and other visitors) seem rather more than the sheer number terms suggest because they stay for longer (the stats deal in simple numbers only, not bed-days per visitor, which would show a higher total and percentage for Brits and other Europeans).

Europeans benefit from much more vacation time than Americans, hence they are able to go further and visit for longer, in general terms.

The biggest European holiday markets are (unsurprisingly)the biggest countries, i.e. the UK, Germany and France, followed by Italy and Spain, and then by the much smaller countries (in population terms) like Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Greece and Austria. Eastern Europe has a far less developed holiday infrastructure (in terms of exporting tourists), largely because of their economic development, but you will see more tourists from the likes of Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria and similar, in future.

The US is the No 1 long-haul choice for UK visitors, but the majority still opt for short-haul destinations like the Med, the Canaries and northern Europe.

Of the 4-5 million UK visitors to the US every year, roughly a third visit Florida, and of that third, the majority visit Orlando at some stage. So there are plenty more Brits beyond the confines of Orlando - they are just a lot more spread out among the many, many attractions of the USA!

However, the Brits DO tend to congregate in certain areas and even in certain parks, hence you will find a greater proportion of British visitors in the likes of International Drive, SeaWorld, Discovery Cove and Busch Gardens at most times. We also tend to visit most in the summer (July-August), although the Easter school holiday period is fast catching up.

There is definitely a fondness for UK travel to the US for obvious reasons of history and language and it is widely known as good value (especially with the current exchange rate!), and Florida does a great job of marketing to the UK because they know it is so popular. The flights are well organised and plentiful, the weather is usually predictable (and very pleasant for Brits!) and the people are friendly and welcoming (as they are throughout the States, I find, and I have visited half of them by now!).

As many people have pointed out, WDW and DLP are very different resort destinations, but DLP also has strong UK appeal (more Brits visit there every year than Florida). But Orlando is also about more than WDW to most Brits (hence SeaWorld is one of their favourite parks).

Hopefully that helps to put things in perspective here and keep people properly informed. Let's keep the debate respectful and on topic as it's certainly something that is of interest to many :)

Mark&Sue:

Are you saying that your idea of leaving the WDW report complex in LBV is taking a Disney bus for Port Canaveral to board a Disney cruise ship?

*sigh*

You do realize that Cape Canaveral is right there, no? It's where shuttles and satellites are launched into space. That's rather exciting, don't you think? Have you not been there or are you waiting for the Disney-like Shuttle Launch Experience to open?

Did you know that the oldest city in the United States is located about 120 miles northeast of Orlando Airport. It's called St. Augustine. Would that appeal to you?

Why does Disney market to the UK in a way that it doesn't to the rest of Europe? Any ideas? I mean, the population of Germany, for example, is roughly what it is for the UK. Isn't the population of France around 60 million, too?

Does WDW accept British currency for all purchases made in the "world"? If not, would that enhance your magical visits to Walt Disney World? Imagine hearing the CM behind the counter at the Magic Kingdom's Emporium say, "Would you like to pay in dollars or pounds?"

I have been to Disneyland Paris four times and have had a great time. I have been to WDW three times and had a great time (going again this summer). I have vacationed in Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Andora visited Venice, Barcelona, New york and work in London. I have also spent two weeks in Oklahoma. WDW works for us as a family at the moment, we love Disney, America and Americans we do not feel this is a 'low brow' holiday.

Mark&Sue:

Are you saying that your idea of leaving the WDW report complex in LBV is taking a Disney bus for Port Canaveral to board a Disney cruise ship?

*sigh*

"

*sigh* its called sarcasm ...

and as for the oldest house in the US .... heck I've eaten cheese older than that!!;) infact I think my first car was older than that!!:goodvibes

My suspicion that WDW for the British was the sole or "end-all" destination in the US was proven by some of the posts. I cringe to read that some British have continually visited WDW and nowhere else (whether they have an investment in the DVC or not).

You are posting on a board used by fans of WDW and Disney to discuss and plan trips (mostly to WDW :eek: ) so why are you surprised?

Some of us have been lucky enough to travel beyond WDW and some of us haven't. One man's idea of a holiday may be another's worst nightmare. Some of us like culture and others would rather lie on a beach.

I notice that a number of friends from the UK Boards took the time to answer your original questions about why Brits choose WDW over DLP. I am a little sad that you have decided to insult several of them over their holiday preferences.:sad2:

Sorry it took so long to get over here and find this thread but I have been up to my eyeballs in work (which is directly related to my dear British cousins and their enjoyment of Orlando! Get ready....there's about a billion coming over in the next month!)

I really don't get the intent of this thread, other than the OP seems to be telling the Brit's where to go, so to speak ;). Why it matters so much is totally beyond me. I'm DELIGHTED to hear Brits enjoying Orlando (so much so, I had to marry one of the 'accents' just so I could hear it every day!) and can't imagine why anyone would be bothered by that, just because the good ol' USA is a huge place with other destinations.

I've been lucky enough to visit England several times and always go to certain areas I particularly love. I hope the people who live there forgive the fact I'm an American and let me come back again without telling me I should take my tourist dollars elsewhere, just because there IS an elsewhere.

While I admit I read the OPs retorts as borderline-sarcastic, perhaps that is not the intent. Still, the replies have been very informative, thoughtful and polite (mostly ;) ). As long as it doesn't break any rules, it may be a good insight into our British friends love for Orlando, which is something all of us on the DIS share! :)

I have lived in Toronto and Vancouver, travelled to Seattle,New York, Boston, Marthas Vineyard, San Francisco with yes a little detour to Anaheim to see the original DL, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas amongst others in the USA. Went to St Lucia last year and have travelled extensively to Europe visiting beaches and cities alike. As our children grew up we did camping etc. and put their needs first when planning vacations.
I have always had a little thought when Americans we meet say they have 'done' London and perhaps Edinborough and Cardiff, that although the UK is small there is a lot more to see than the 3 capitals but after a little plug for God's own country Yorkshire I appreciate that this is what they wanted to do and respect their choices.
I also have had similar thoughts when my fellow countryman/woman view WDW as the be all and end all of their holiday experiences in the USA especially of such a varied and beautiful country but again it is their personal choice and money.
As we are getting older DH's health may not let us fly long distances anymore and although we will miss the USA there are many other places nearer home to travel too.
To finish off what I hope hasn't been just a list of my travels over the years I can't decide whether the OP is for or against us 'Brits' travelling over. If against, they thankfully are in a very small minority as without exception we have always been made to feel very welcome in the USA.:)

I never said British visitors should go elsewhere than WDW--just that there are other things to see right here in Florida, let alone elsewhere in the US. These places can be visited separately or concurrently with WDW. You can actually board a plane in Orlando airport for a domestic flight! How about that!! Isn't that neat? I know of someone who actually, *gasp*, flew from Orlando to Dallas, TX. I was shocked that could even be done. :yay:

If it's warmth you want, as many posters have indicated, the Florida Everglades area is warmer in the winter than the Orlando area. You won't find there, however, audio animatronics alligators and crocodiles. Sorry. Those animals are actually alive. I suppose the experience is more magical when you know the alligator (in WDW) won't eat your forearm as a snack. :scared1:

Certainly I enjoy hearing the British accent, but not 20+ times a day in WDW. Again, that's just me. Of course, in England it's to be expected, and I will have made a choice to go there as I have in the past. (For some, I'm sure, hearing the French accent 20+ times a day is too much...who knows?) Similarly, and I stress "similarly," I certainly wouldn't enjoy hearing the (insert any country/region here) accent 20+ times a day in WDW either, but at this point I'm willing (or, rather, begging) to hear something new. (Dutchmen, if you're reading this, please help!!) One can take only so much of hearing "fink" in place of "think."

It's not truly a diverse "it's a small world" WDW if the complex is visited overwhelmingly by tourists of one area/region of the world, especially those tourists who have made WDW their only destination in the United States for years. Remember, England isn't Alton Towers, and I refuse to make Alton Towers my sole destination in the UK.

So, there you have it...we welcome your tourist dollars and your accents all over the United States not solely in WDW, for whom that applies. Cheers.

You can actually board a plane in Orlando airport for a domestic flight! How about that!! Isn't that neat? I know of someone who actually, *gasp*, flew from Orlando to Dallas, TX. I was shocked that could even be done. :yay:

One can take only so much of hearing "fink" in place of "think."

QUOTE]

well now you're just exposing yourself as an idiot. I'm sure you're trying to incite trouble so I will say only this and leave it alone ..... from the great country of the UK - where the vast majority of the popluation has experienced overseas travel and cultures (unlike the US) stop behaving like a PRAT!

we were flying round internationally before you can remember - heck we built the first damn jet engined plane specifically to do so.

and if you think "fink" is an example of how the Brits speak then I would assume you treck round in a pick up truck whistling to country music, picking up roadkill to go cook in your pot - or is that being a tiny bit stereotypical???!!

I suggest you find another board "mate" this here is for people wanting to discuss Disney - not the rest of the US for vacations.

have a nice life - god forbid I run into you ..... I just cant bear more than 20 US accents a day and you might be the 21st :rolleyes1 oh the horror!

well now you're just exposing yourself as an idiot. I'm sure you're trying to incite trouble so I will say only this and leave it alone ..... from the great country of the UK - where the vast majority of the popluation has experienced overseas travel and cultures (unlike the US) stop behaving like a PRAT!

we were flying round internationally before you can remember - heck we built the first damn jet engined plane specifically to do so.

and if you think "fink" is an example of how the Brits speak then I would assume you treck round in a pick up truck whistling to country music, picking up roadkill to go cook in your pot - or is that being a tiny bit stereotypical???!!

I suggest you find another board "mate" this here is for people wanting to discuss Disney - not the rest of the US for vacations.

have a nice life - god forbid I run into you ..... I just cant bear more than 20 US accents a day and you might be the 21st :rolleyes1 oh the horror!

The OP seems to be getting more and more xenophobic.

My mother in Law once got her foot stamped on while riding the tube in London for complining about the number of American accents she heard in London. She was an American born in Cincinnatti and worked for the State Department.

20 British accents a day are too many. Just how many does the OP want let into MCO?

I never said British visitors should go elsewhere than WDW--just that there are other things to see right here in Florida, let alone elsewhere in the US. These places can be visited separately or concurrently with WDW. You can actually board a plane in Orlando airport for a domestic flight! How about that!! Isn't that neat? I know of someone who actually, *gasp*, flew from Orlando to Dallas, TX. I was shocked that could even be done. :yay:

If it's warmth you want, as many posters have indicated, the Florida Everglades area is warmer in the winter than the Orlando area. You won't find there, however, audio animatronics alligators and crocodiles. Sorry. Those animals are actually alive. I suppose the experience is more magical when you know the alligator (in WDW) won't eat your forearm as a snack. :scared1:

Certainly I enjoy hearing the British accent, but not 20+ times a day in WDW. Again, that's just me. Of course, in England it's to be expected, and I will have made a choice to go there as I have in the past. (For some, I'm sure, hearing the French accent 20+ times a day is too much...who knows?) Similarly, and I stress "similarly," I certainly wouldn't enjoy hearing the (insert any country/region here) accent 20+ times a day in WDW either, but at this point I'm willing (or, rather, begging) to hear something new. (Dutchmen, if you're reading this, please help!!) One can take only so much of hearing "fink" in place of "think."

It's not truly a diverse "it's a small world" WDW if the complex is visited overwhelmingly by tourists of one area/region of the world, especially those tourists who have made WDW their only destination in the United States for years. Remember, England isn't Alton Towers, and I refuse to make Alton Towers my sole destination in the UK.

So, there you have it...we welcome your tourist dollars and your accents all over the United States not solely in WDW, for whom that applies. Cheers.

I thought sarcasm gained you points?

oh boy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter